Fed up with an unequal split of Friday night games
jonniejon (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 13:03
Fed up with an unequal split of Friday night games then sign our petition here:

[www.change.org]

Re: Fed up with an unequal split of Friday night games
DazzaS (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 13:33
First world problems. I suppose your not dying of starvation in Syria so this of course would be the most important issue of the day.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 13:39
Yes - let's close the forum because people are starving in Syria.

His what isn't starving?

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 13:47
Let them eat brioche!

BB

DOK (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 13:55
I think it's setting the bar pretty high for what then qualifies as a complaint.
Should stop the JK out movement in its tracks! smiling smiley

oakhaven (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 14:52
Anyone fancy petitioning BT Sport to end the Syrian refugee crisis?

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 15:04
I'm happy with the current balance.
Seems like fewer fridays this season as well.

If fixtures were always Saturday/Sunday every 2 weeks i simply wouldn't be able to justify a season ticket as i have a young family who like to do non-rugby things at the weekends.

So the current mix of fridays after work, a few 'big' saturday prem matches when the missus grants a pass, and a couple of AW matches on Sat/Sun where i can bring the wife and kids, are fine with me.

And i know half a dozen season ticket holders (all under 50) who feel the same....They just aren't active on CAW like a lot of the more 'seasoned' demographic who hate friday matches!

I think we all notice that its a younger crowd on friday nights as well, and that certainly will help Quins in the long run as the club needs a new generation of fans.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 15:14
It's a fair point that the Friday games should be split equally between all the home teams.

Who is it that cannot play at home on Friday nights (as referenced in the petition).

Of course please don't reply if you are only allowed to talk about the crisis in Syria. Quite frankly what Dazza S is even doing typing on here whilst he is presumably over there providing humanitarian aid is beyond me.

DazzaS (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 15:55
Quote:
talkshowhost86
It's a fair point that the Friday games should be split equally between all the home teams.
Who is it that cannot play at home on Friday nights (as referenced in the petition).

Of course please don't reply if you are only allowed to talk about the crisis in Syria. Quite frankly what Dazza S is even doing typing on here whilst he is presumably over there providing humanitarian aid is beyond me.

How do you know I'm not! (Sm100)

Point is to set up a change petition for this is a bit over the top- bit like my comparison. We have no say and never will over when games will be. Some prefer Fridays (like myself ) some refer Saturdays (most people) some prefer Sundays (some others) but BT will choose what they want because they pay the money.

We are already losing money fast and need the income. If we do not want to be shown Fridays ever we can always get relegatd, lose our star players and nearly guarantee our Saturday 3pm kick off.

06 February, 2018 16:02
Quote:
DazzaS
Quote:
talkshowhost86

How do you know I'm not! (Sm100)

Point is to set up a change petition for this is a bit over the top- bit like my comparison. We have no say and never will over when games will be. Some prefer Fridays (like myself ) some refer Saturdays (most people) some prefer Sundays (some others) but BT will choose what they want because they pay the money.

We are already losing money fast and need the income. If we do not want to be shown Fridays ever we can always get relegatd, lose our star players and nearly guarantee our Saturday 3pm kick off.

Firstly I agree that it's split between people who like and dislike Friday games. That's not really the point though.

The point is that the split of Friday night games should be equal across the clubs, and that's actually both for the sake of the fans going to games and for the money they get from TV coverage (as the Friday games are pretty much always on TV).

I think a petition to call for that sort of equality is fair enough if we want to try and avoid the sport becoming more and more like football.

But if your view is that there's no point even raising issues if you don't think they are fair then maybe Syria is your kind of place winking smiley

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 16:20
For fear of endlessly repeating myself.....

Quins havenít had many this year.

Weíve had more Sat 3pm than any other fixture time.

Actually lots of people like Friday nights and we still get very big crowds.

Safri-quin (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 16:20
Quote:
talkshowhost86

Our favourite friends based in North London evidently. As well as Exeter

Dave L (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 16:27
Exeter and Sarries are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Sorry - just saw the above post. We have to give up the more popular Saturday kick offs because of Big Stoop events but that only disadvantages us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2018 16:28 by Dave L.

06 February, 2018 16:49
Quote:
Safri-quin
Quote:
talkshowhost86

Our favourite friends based in North London evidently. As well as Exeter

What are their particular reasons for that? If people can get to the AJ Bell on a Friday they can certainly get to either of those two stadia.

Safri-quin (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 16:55
Planning conditions I think.

Both close to major motorways and games on a Friday night would cause congestion/tailbacks

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 16:59
Imagine building a rugby stadium near a motorway...

06 February, 2018 16:59
Quote:
blucherquin
For fear of endlessly repeating myself.....
Quins havenít had many this year.

Weíve had more Sat 3pm than any other fixture time.

Actually lots of people like Friday nights and we still get very big crowds.

Again though I'm not sure that's really the point.

The question is around the fair split of Friday nights. Whether you love them or loathe them (I happen to quite like a Friday nighter) they should be split fairly where possible to ensure that each side gets a fair split of the TV coverage and also a fair split of having to play on the Fridays (not always the best for player preparation, harder for some fans etc).

I'm assuming that the TV coverage is relatively equal (or at least each side has to have a minimum level of coverage) but I don't know whether there's an equal split of those playing on Friday nights.

If some clubs are saying they can't do home games on those days, I suppose there isn't.

06 February, 2018 17:01
Quote:
Safri-quin
Both close to major motorways and games on a Friday night would cause congestion/tailbacks

If that's the case it really is laughable from the planning authorities.

I'd have thought being near a motorway helps people get away quicker. I suspect this sort of thing doesn't matter when similar requests for matches come in from the football clubs and all of the money they bring into those councils pockets.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 17:09
Quote:
Dark Pies
I'm happy with the current balance.
Seems like fewer fridays this season as well.

If fixtures were always Saturday/Sunday every 2 weeks i simply wouldn't be able to justify a season ticket as i have a young family who like to do non-rugby things at the weekends.

So the current mix of fridays after work, a few 'big' saturday prem matches when the missus grants a pass, and a couple of AW matches on Sat/Sun where i can bring the wife and kids, are fine with me.

And i know half a dozen season ticket holders (all under 50) who feel the same....They just aren't active on CAW like a lot of the more 'seasoned' demographic who hate friday matches!

I think we all notice that its a younger crowd on friday nights as well, and that certainly will help Quins in the long run as the club needs a new generation of fans.

Yes, I've noticed the standards of behaviour at Friday night matches are generally appalling. Lots of young ididots who can't take their drink & think its funny to abuse the opposition or the ref.

You're welcome to the Friday night experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2018 17:11 by Stooperman.

Safri-quin (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 17:15
I think its a combination of issues - including proximity to junctions, the fact that some CPZ's are still active in residential areas, so cars cant park up, increased volume of traffic on roads at that time etc...

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 17:32
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Safri-quin

If that's the case it really is laughable from the planning authorities.

I'd have thought being near a motorway helps people get away quicker. I suspect this sort of thing doesn't matter when similar requests for matches come in from the football clubs and all of the money they bring into those councils pockets.

I donít think itís about people getting away, itís presumably extra volume of traffic around an already busy motorway junction at Friday rush hour, thereby delaying people who couldnít be give a stuff about rugby.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 17:56
Donít see it as unequal
Actually donít mind the odd Friday night game, usually a good atmosphere

Seem to be fewer this season, and on top of all that if Quins not playing I like to be able to watch premiership rugby on the telly on a Friday night

06 February, 2018 22:16
Quote:
SiBolton
DonÔŅĹt see it as unequal
Actually donÔŅĹt mind the odd Friday night game, usually a good atmosphere

Seem to be fewer this season, and on top of all that if Quins not playing I like to be able to watch premiership rugby on the telly on a Friday night

If some teams aren't playing on Fridays surely it is, by definition, unequal?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 07:54
Did I mention that 5 of us live 2 and a half hours away.....

Rodders you p-lonker!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 10:33
Checking google confirms Sarries have planning restrictions that are due to local residents concerns about volume of traffic and parking etc.

There's a parking zone in operation on match days but only until 6pm, stipulated as part of the planning permission. So guess they'd have to agree to vary the planning conditions. Can't see it happening.

As a "local" I can say I'd be very happy if there was a similar parking ban in all the roads we live in near the Stoop, but it was here before we were and so that's just life.

Guess the only time it could be done is if planning permissions for new redevelopment are ever given and residents are concerned about more people coming to the ground etc..

Wouldn't hold your breath.

So yes, it's unequal. But no, a petition can't do anything to change it.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 16:30
Not sure how some people are failing to grasp that the complaint is about the unqual spread of Friday night games. It's not about whether you prefer Friday, Saturday, Sunday or any other day, but the fact that some teams don't have them. Surely not that hard.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 16:33
Quote:
T-Bone
Not sure how some people are failing to grasp that the complaint is about the unqual spread of Friday night games. It's not about whether you prefer Friday, Saturday, Sunday or any other day, but the fact that some teams don't have them. Surely not that hard.

Youíre presumably not responding to my point above which is exactly about that.

Itís unequal because local planning laws mean certain teams canít have Friday night games.

Therefore petition will change nothing since requires changing individual local planning permissions.

Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 16:35
Quote:
blucherquin
I donít think itís about people getting away, itís presumably extra volume of traffic around an already busy motorway junction at Friday rush hour, thereby delaying people who couldnít be give a stuff about rugby.

I think it's more about the potential for accidents than the inconvenience. If you drive down the M5 past Exeter on a Friday evening it feels like half the country is on its way to a holiday home in Devon or Cornwall. Add in an entire rugby ground's worth of traffic trying to turn off at the same junction and you have the potential for an epic pile-up.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 16:38
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
T-Bone

Itís unequal because local planning laws mean certain teams canít have Friday night games.

Therefore petition will change nothing since requires changing individual local planning permissions.

Nope, wasn't responding to you. For what it's worth I think it's a rather silly petition, but I tend to agree with their point, or at least in part

GP2110 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 16:46
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
T-Bone

Not sure if you read the petition.

It says that "If a club cannot play on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday (also Thursday for the Challenge Cup) at their home ground then they should be expected to play this fixture at their nominated alternative venue."

So it does try to work around the local planning issues. I still think the petition is nonsense though and will not work in practice.

07 February, 2018 16:59
Do the clubs who 'can't' play on Fridays at home at least have an even spread of games on Fridays in general?

If not it really is giving an advantage to those teams as they will never get the shorter turn around that teams who have to play on Friday have.

number_seven (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 19:04
I prefer a Friday night game. Can go straight after work and leaves the weekend free for other activities.

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 20:36
I feel i should start a petition for more Friday night game, personally think they are awesome!

Just for balance!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 00:03
Quote:
GP2110
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
T-Bone

Not sure if you read the petition.

It says that "If a club cannot play on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday (also Thursday for the Challenge Cup) at their home ground then they should be expected to play this fixture at their nominated alternative venue."

So it does try to work around the local planning issues. I still think the petition is nonsense though and will not work in practice.

Apologies for not reading it - clearly itís delusional.

Yeah - we can force clubs to nominate another venue that can happily accept 4000-14000 people on a Friday night.

Silly idiots.

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 12:45
Setting aside whether we like Friday matches more or less as supporters, why is it an automatic advantage for some clubs to not have to play friday home games?

Surely the flip side of sometimes only having 5-6 days turnaround is that after Friday home games we are more likely to have 7-9 days before the next match.

Also i would imagine that players like getting the job done on friday and having the weekend off, which may or may not contribute to their wellbeing and performance.

So i don't think its as simple as always playing on a saturday = better.

Really doesn't seem like a petition-worthy issue. In terms of the fixture allocations I'm personally more annoyed by the LDH and esp. Sarries being able to choose their opposition (i.e. Quins) for the first post-6N prem match every season, which does seem like a big advantage for them. We don't pick the opposition for the Big Game!

Fursty (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 13:35
Not sure why the residents of Barnet are against Friday night games - Sarries average crowd is marginally higher than 6 men and a dog, can’t see it having a huge impact.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 15:40
Quote:
blucherquin

Premiership Rugby should not have authorised those restricted grounds to be licensed for Premiership Rugby!

QED?

poorfour (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 17:31
Some of the Friday night games we get are for the very simple and unavoidable reason that 6 or 7 times each year there's a rather bigger rugby match taking place just across the A316 the next day.

It's also hard enough already for rugby clubs to find a suitable stadium and make money from playing there. Forcing them to find a second stadium and play there for several games a year is a) not a recipe for financial stability and b) totally impractical. What are they going to do? Ask a local Premiership team to give up their ground several times each year?

ninjafez (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 21:54
Quote:
Fursty
Not sure why the residents of Barnet are against Friday night games - Sarries average crowd is marginally higher than 6 men and a dog, can’t see it having a huge impact.

getting bigger year thanks Frusty, average 9,4k of 10k max last season

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

Meadway Meanderer (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 22:41
I always thought that certain teams, Newcastle and Sale come to mind, prefer Friday night games to attract better crowds on a non-Saturday football time. Whereas Wasps are trying to get Sunday games as a regular feature. We all know that we need to improve revenue by increasing gates across the Premiership.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net