07 February, 2018 10:55

Re: Harlequins look to keep Roberts
Boffboy (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 10:57
Waste of money . Far better available for less

thomh (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 10:58
I've heard second hand that apparently it seems that this rumour might be true.

[www.youtube.com]

DOK (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 10:58
AH - now you're assuming he's being offered the same money! Maybe Harlequins share your views.

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 11:26
I think Roberts has had a good season, although agree his wage would need to drop, his current Int status does not demand such a wage. He still has plenty to offer in the way of helping the younger lads develop and on the pitch.

thomh (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 11:31
Genuine question - should his current international status really affect his wage? I understand that his international status (i) is a reflection of his ability and form and (ii) would have a bearing on how competitive it is to secure him, which would feed into his wage, but all other things being equal we get more out of a non-international.

Only asking really because his fall from Gatland's favour actually seems to have coincided with generally better performances for us.

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 11:52
Quote:
Boffboy
Waste of money . Far better available for less

For example? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to know who you think is better -
and available - at considerably less cash than a former international and British Lion.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 11:58
If we end up with Roberts, Saili, Marchant and Tapuai then that's a pretty formidable set of centres (assuming Saili ever plays again of course).

This is assuming the rumours that Sloan is being released of course.

Whilst I agree it would be good to get Roberts on less money, if he's actually going to be playing more for us, that might be a tricky negotiating position for Quins.

GP2110 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 12:01
Roberts has been very good this season - I would be very happy if we keep him.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 12:12
Quote:
thomh
Genuine question - should his current international status really affect his wage? I understand that his international status (i) is a reflection of his ability and form and (ii) would have a bearing on how competitive it is to secure him, which would feed into his wage, but all other things being equal we get more out of a non-international.
Only asking really because his fall from Gatland's favour actually seems to have coincided with generally better performances for us.

It's about his market value. How much would he get offered elsewhere.

thomh (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 12:19
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
thomh

I said that in my post - but market value is separate from actual value to the team, which is what I was getting at.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2018 12:20 by thomh.

adquin (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 14:27
Happy to keep him - he's been decent this season.

Also, it can only be good for Smith's development to have the experience of DC and Roberts either side of him.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 15:29
TRP article sounded to me more like nothing had been decided; not so much that we want to keep him, but the decision hasn't been made.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 15:34
Happy to keep him on less money and if he plays like he has this season. Not as a marquee player playing like he did in his first season and a half and away from the club for large chunks of the season.

JK saying nothing has been ruled out is hardly the same as us wanting to keep him though

kevin (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 21:31
Get rid! He must not use us as an easy pension!
Btw he has been useful in a couple of phases in a couple of phases this season. Never been consistent throughout the season.

DamonQuins (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 09:22
I'd keep JR at the right price. However, I'm still unsure if he aids, or hinders, our defence? I know that sounds silly considering his size and experience but I think others rely on him too much...

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 10:40
Releasing Sloan is a bad thing, hes more than capable of staking a claim and would see him and Marchand as the new JTH/G-Lowe combo going forwards.

Id give Roberts another year at most as where will his enthusiasm be if hes not going to play for Wales again and focus on his medical career?

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 10:42
Quote:
Banstead Quin
Releasing Sloan is a bad thing, hes more than capable of staking a claim and would see him and Marchand as the new JTH/G-Lowe combo going forwards.
Id give Roberts another year at most as where will his enthusiasm be if hes not going to play for Wales again and focus on his medical career?

I'm sure Sloan will only be released if it makes sense due to injuries. Otherwise there's no reason to release him.

As for Roberts, if he's interested in furthering his medical career I'd have thought there are few better places for him than at Quins.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 11:50
Quote:
thomh
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
thomh

I said that in my post - but market value is separate from actual value to the team, which is what I was getting at.

Should his current international status really affect his wage?

Yes, because market value.

ironquin (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 13:08
No longer an International player, older so more likely at risk to injury. Not worth the same deal he's on now. Would require a drop in wages.

thomh (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 13:32
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
thomh
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
thomh

Should his current international status really affect his wage?

Yes, because market value.

Wilful missing of the point.

poorfour (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 17:38
Quote:
ironquin
No longer an International player, older so more likely at risk to injury. Not worth the same deal he's on now. Would require a drop in wages.

Half right. Being older might mean a contract where he's paid less for fewer games. But no longer being an international makes him more valuable, not less. You get the experience and quality of an international, but they don't go away for international windows any more.

Do you think we cut Nev's wages because he wasn't an international any more? Or Horwill's?

Value to us as fans is very different from value to a DoR, and we should stop assuming that we know.

JK said that when he became DoR and got access to the players' contracts there were a number of surprises about who was paid what which led him to rethink his attitude to several players and made him glad he hadn't had a clearout.

The Head Coach doesn't know what we pay players - only the DoR and the Board. So we should stop making assumptions about what players are paid.

The Quin Meister (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 18:17
I saw the article this week in TRP and was so pleased that the club might try to keep him. It's a "no brainer" for me. The bloke is still class. He gives us much needed physicality in defence and attack - and he's had a good season, plus a great mentor to our young backs. Please stay Jamie!

mccc (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 22:19
Please enlighten us on who is available for less money.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 13:47
Quote:
poorfour
Quote:
ironquin

It's also relevant how his body is holding up, especially with the way he plays. I don't think he's suffered badly from injuries though?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 13:22
Thats because he heals himself.

Rodders you p-lonker!

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 16:54
Quote:
Scaramouche
Thats because he heals himself.

Is he a faith or confidence healer?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 12:38
Well obviously he has total Faith in the coaches and is very Confident of his own ability so I guess he could just be a simple back healer smiling smiley

Rodders you p-lonker!

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 15:12
Perhaps he should play league...

TitusQuin (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 20:54
Quote:
The Quin Meister
I saw the article this week in TRP and was so pleased that the club might try to keep him. It's a "no brainer" for me. The bloke is still class. He gives us much needed physicality in defence and attack - and he's had a good season, plus a great mentor to our young backs. Please stay Jamie!

I would like him to stay but clearly for probably a quarter of what he is on.
I think he has had a solid season and people are overrating him this season because he was useless the last two.

He was never the quickest and his lack of pace now doesn't suit the way the game is.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 00:44
I don't get the impression he wants to be here. He doesn't suit our style of play. Spend the cash elsewhere.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 14:04
Quote:
RodneyRegis
He doesn't suit our style of play.

What, you mean he's not rubbish?

BB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net