rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site


Marler on the malaise
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 15:23
[www.bbc.co.uk]

From about 50 mins, Joe talks about the club and our inconsistency.

Obviously picks his words carefully, but there's a pretty clear implication that things are too cosy and familiar.

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
Bellyfull (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:23
And we know who is to blame for that JK

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
Subeedai (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:25
Very interesting. Good interview.

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
FGGQuin (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 17:00
As a supporter for over 25 years who is profoundly depressed by our decline (5 years and counting) and gobsmacked by 1. John Kingston’s appointment as DoR and 2. the recent contract extensions, I can only hope that the CEO and Board wake up and pay attention to Joe’s wise and carefully worded comments.

Coming off Mike Brown’s Times interview before big game 10 and Ugo’s comments that the dressing room is “split” on the contract extensions, there is something fundamentally wrong at Quins right now, from top to bottom as Joe says.

Many of the supporters have been saying this for months and sometimes years. Will the club ever pay attention?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/02/2018 17:01 by FGGQuin.

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 17:30
Doubtless somebody will be along shortly to tell us that Joe is only a player and has no idea about the running of the club.

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
GP2110 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 18:06
i respect Marler's opinion. But he's been very poor this season. His poor discipline has cost us points and left us short when we have had injuries. Given he is an experienced international, he should start by looking himself in the mirror and all the other players should do likewise. No coach or back room management can help if a player keeps making brain dead decisions, which result in silly bans and periods with less players on the pitch.

Sale away is just one example of Marler's stupidity.

I dont think it's fair to say that Marler "has no idea about the running of the club". But I do think it's fair to say he has been a let down this season, as have many of his colleagues.

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
blucherquin (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 18:14
Quote:
GP2110
i respect Marler's opinion. But he's been very poor this season. His poor discipline has cost us points and left us short when we have had injuries. Given he is an experienced international, he should start by looking himself in the mirror and all the other players should do likewise. No coach or back room management can help if a player keeps making brain dead decisions, which result in silly bans and periods with less players on the pitch.
Sale away is just one example of Marler's stupidity.

I dont think it's fair to say that Marler "has no idea about the running of the club". But I do think it's fair to say he has been a let down this season, as have many of his colleagues.

He does say that in the interview.

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 19:04
Let's put it another way - regardless of what Joe has said, and how it is interpreted, he has said something that casts questions on the organisation.

Is that the action of a member of a strong group/team, that are pulling together or possibly something else?

On the flip side - Quins press people are usually right on the shoulder in these situations, so they let this past?

All weird....

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 19:11
When he hasn't been banned he's been superb. A carrying force once more.

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
blucherquin (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 20:03
Quote:
Nev's Left Boot
Let's put it another way - regardless of what Joe has said, and how it is interpreted, he has said something that casts questions on the organisation.
Is that the action of a member of a strong group/team, that are pulling together or possibly something else?

On the flip side - Quins press people are usually right on the shoulder in these situations, so they let this past?

All weird....

Not up to Quins - he was driving to the England training ground. Its a podcast where Ugo or Danny get their mates on the phone. Id imagine the press people hate it.

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
T-Bone (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 08:51
Joe admitted that he's is no position to criticise when he has not given his best to quins this season due to ill discipline. Before that pundits were saying he was the in form loosehead in the country.

Thought his comments were very interesting and also well thought out and worded. While he can be a clown at times, and frustrating as it is that having seemingly improved, his discipline seems to have got worse again (which as an aside is even more unhelpful as he's supposedly the one trying to keep Kyle in check), I really like his honesty, and he clearly thinks a lot and knows a lot about the game

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 09:09
Quote:
T-Bone
Joe admitted that he's is no position to criticise when he has not given his best to quins this season due to ill discipline. Before that pundits were saying he was the in form loosehead in the country.
Thought his comments were very interesting and also well thought out and worded. While he can be a clown at times, and frustrating as it is that having seemingly improved, his discipline seems to have got worse again (which as an aside is even more unhelpful as he's supposedly the one trying to keep Kyle in check), I really like his honesty, and he clearly thinks a lot and knows a lot about the game

He speaks very eloquently and hes smart and funny and clearly a great student of the game - makes his brain farts 10 times more annoying

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
le tiss (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 10:48
The decision to renew JK, MM & GR contracts was just so strange during the middle of a season that is shaping up to be a horror. Why on earth did the club not wait until the end of the season and take a balanced calm view of where we are, and where we are heading before deciding on a course of action. I feel like we are sinking in a sea of apathy from the top down.

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
Cookie (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 11:06
Quote:
le tiss
The decision to renew JK, MM & GR contracts was just so strange during the middle of a season that is shaping up to be a horror. Why on earth did the club not wait until the end of the season and take a balanced calm view of where we are, and where we are heading before deciding on a course of action. I feel like we are sinking in a sea of apathy from the top down.

Inexcusable by Ellis. Absolutely no logic for doing it when he did. If we finish 10th plus weak exits in the AWC and CC, it's going to look ridiculous and will likely demoralise the fans resulting in reduced ST renewals. Or, it will mean sackings, costing money we can ill afford to waste.

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 12:04
But, we keep having [players re-signing with the club, and stating how much they enjoy they coaches. Surely if there was an issue players would not be staying???

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
le tiss (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 12:14
Quote:
HonkyTonk
But, we keep having [players re-signing with the club, and stating how much they enjoy they coaches. Surely if there was an issue players would not be staying???

I think "enjoying the coaches" is part of the issue here. It all seems so familiar and comfortable. This wouldn't be an issue if it was working, but it clearly isn't. In my opinion we need change to shake things up a bit, challenge the accepted practices and bring a totally fresh approach to the club. More of the same is more than likely just going to breed the continuation of the infuriating inconsistencies. More of the same is perhaps the very last thing we need. Albert Einstein once said The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. Well you don't have to be Einstein to agree with him.

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 12:33
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
le tiss
The decision to renew JK, MM & GR contracts was just so strange during the middle of a season that is shaping up to be a horror. Why on earth did the club not wait until the end of the season and take a balanced calm view of where we are, and where we are heading before deciding on a course of action. I feel like we are sinking in a sea of apathy from the top down.

Inexcusable by Ellis. Absolutely no logic for doing it when he did. If we finish 10th plus weak exits in the AWC and CC, it's going to look ridiculous and will likely demoralise the fans resulting in reduced ST renewals. Or, it will mean sackings, costing money we can ill afford to waste.

I can only assume they wanted to renew, and did it before things got worse and supporters upped the howls for his head. It was a baffling decision.

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
DOK. (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 12:34
The only reason I can see for the coaches contracts being renewed now is as a "vote of confidence" from the board. No, don't laugh! smiling smiley The board know where JK is trying to take the team and how he intends to do it (well, I assume they do). So perhaps they believe he just needs a bit more time to do this and possibly a bit of support.

I'm assuming that David Ellis is a targets/achievements type of manager. Assuming JK has targets for this season (assume in terms of poor, acceptable and good it's something like "don't get relegated", "finish in the top six" and "finish in the top four"). As I said elsewhere, according to the roadmap he JK can still hit the top six target, and with the help of several miracles could hit top four. I don't think JK will be sanctioned until he misses his targets.

I would be tempted to try the Northampton approach though, and get a "consultant" in to verify there's no tricks we're missing.

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 12:38
Quote:
DOK
The only reason I can see for the coaches contracts being renewed now is as a "vote of confidence" from the board. No, don't laugh! smiling smiley The board know where JK is trying to take the team and how he intends to do it (well, I assume they do). So perhaps they believe he just needs a bit more time to do this and possibly a bit of support.
I'm assuming that David Ellis is a targets/achievements type of manager. Assuming JK has targets for this season (assume in terms of poor, acceptable and good it's something like "don't get relegated", "finish in the top six" and "finish in the top four"). As I said elsewhere, according to the roadmap he JK can still hit the top six target, and with the help of several miracles could hit top four. I don't think JK will be sanctioned until he misses his targets.

I would be tempted to try the Northampton approach though, and get a "consultant" in to verify there's no tricks we're missing.

If Ellis has given JK targets/achievements then that would mean that either:

1. JK has met those targets and has thus been rewarded with a new contract...which would suggest our targets are very unambitious.

2. Ellis has given JK a new contract before we know if those targets/achievements have been met.

I can accept a position where we don't take any action until targets have been missed (although the way the rugby 'transfer' system works means an early decision is better). But action has been taken with the new contract.

So what on earth is going on?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/02/2018 14:08 by talkshowhost86.

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
Cookie (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 12:55
Quote:
HonkyTonk
But, we keep having [players re-signing with the club, and stating how much they enjoy they coaches. Surely if there was an issue players would not be staying???

The players dont say that. The PR department do. The players (in getting their new contracts) will be obliged to toe the line.

And totally agree with TSH86. It simply doesnt add up. Either hes hit shockingly low targets or there are no targets. Both are wrong. QK kept telling us we had to wait to the end of the season to judge and then Ellis does what he did. Its a mess.

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
Kent Fan (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 12:56
Back to Joe his comments about bringing in a new voice seemed to reflect on Quins being too cosy.

If the internationals continue to be in the England squad for RWC despite Quins poor form Im not sure they will be too concerned.

IMHO its more the up and comers and their futures either as potential bolters for the RWC or to get themselves established for the future squads that could want to move on. Most seem to be signed up on contracts in the short term but that might not be enough.

It will be interesting to see what happens with STH at the start of next season and general ticket sales if this situation continues. Again this could impact on the success of the proposed larger stadium.

If Warriors, Gloucester, Bath and Falcons continue to improve plus Bristol coming back with a strong squad the bottom of the premiership will have a new look. maybe with us, Tigers Saints and Sale struggling and a real possibility of us going down again.

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 16:56
Lip service from Marler...he's knows he needs to look in the mirror?

He's known that all along but continues to act like a clown and cop bans...so whats the point of acknowledging it if your going to do FA about it...and in his last podcast he said he was a role model for Sinkler!!

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 17:03
They havent been sent off for months - what are you talking about...

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
T-Bone (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 17:08
Quote:
Hymenoptera
Lip service from Marler...he's knows he needs to look in the mirror?
He's known that all along but continues to act like a clown and cop bans...so whats the point of acknowledging it if your going to do FA about it...and in his last podcast he said he was a role model for Sinkler!!

Well done for completely missing the point

 
Re: Marler on the malaise
blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 17:42
Quote:
Hymenoptera
Lip service from Marler...he's knows he needs to look in the mirror?
He's known that all along but continues to act like a clown and cop bans...so whats the point of acknowledging it if your going to do FA about it...and in his last podcast he said he was a role model for Sinkler!!

So youve not listened to what were discussing but have jumped in anyway.

Thats not what any of their disscussion is about.

Excellent work.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?