rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Sailli
jonf (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 13:07
I posted a few months ago that we will never see Sailli in a Quins shirt again. Anyone think I am wrong?

The very short period of time we did see him play he was very good.

He apparently did come with an injury record.

Re: Sailli
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 13:09
But as stated on another thread, those injuries have nothing to do with his concussion. If he had a knee injury and that is stopping him now fair enough, but this is a different injury that could happen to anyone

jonf (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 13:10
I'm not saying what is causing him not to play, just that he is just not turning out to play.

Cookie (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 13:13
Plenty of players have been described as 'sick notes' with different, unrelated injuries.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 13:22
It's getting close enough to the end of the season that they may just sack it off and tell him to get ready for next season.

Of course whether he wants to stay while things tumble around him I'm not sure.

Cookie (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 13:29
Quote:
Cookie
Plenty of players have been described as 'sick notes' with different, unrelated injuries.

Not saying he is, by the way, just saying he's going to miss most of this season and 4 months of last season. Catrikilis also missed a large chunk of last season. Bothma has also barely played in 18 months due to 3 broken arms (and a ban).

Bellyfull (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 13:39
Get shot of all 3, waste of space the lot of them.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 14:15
Quote:
Bellyfull

Youíre very amusing

blucherquin (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 14:21
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Cookie

Not saying he is, by the way, just saying he's going to miss most of this season and 4 months of last season. Catrikilis also missed a large chunk of last season. Bothma has also barely played in 18 months due to 3 broken arms (and a ban).

In all 3 cases their injury records really arenít relevant

Saili - may not play again like Reddish, or may be back like Chisholm. As endlessly discussed, J Chis was out for 7 months, Saili is 4 so far. It was a horrific head collision that could happen to any player at any time. He did have injuries at Ulster but this has nothing to do with why heís out for us.

Bothma - keeps breaking the same arm - sadly you canít know heís got a bone thatís going to keep breaking until it keeps breaking. Again Iím not sure how this could have been predicted.

The Cat - freak accident which could again happen to any player anywhere regardless of their injury record.

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 14:23
Quote:
Bellyfull

You clearly either haven't watched any of them or don't understand the game of rugby. All three are very talented players - Bothma especially has been imperious when on the pict for us - but have suffered injuries. If being injured makes them a "waste of space" that means they should be dropped in favour of fit but lesser-capable players then I suggest you clear off and support someone else.

Bellyfull (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 14:43
I understand that to be off any benefit to the club they have to play on a regular basis. Would hate to think how much per game these have cost us this season.

cat - mental health issues - not his fault but canít hide from fact
Salli - serious head injury
Bothma - weakened arm

Are they all going to make miraculous recoveries?

Cookie (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 15:17
I think we need to steer away from saying Catrikilis is having mental health issues. I've not read that anywhere (or have I missed something).

And I don't necessarily disagree, blucherquin. But when players become injury-prone (or at least miss games regularly), it's often coincidental or unrelated. And also bad luck.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 15:25
Quote:
Cookie
I think we need to steer away from saying Catrikilis is having mental health issues. I've not read that anywhere (or have I missed something).
And I don't necessarily disagree, blucherquin. But when players become injury-prone (or at least miss games regularly), it's often coincidental or unrelated. And also bad luck.

Agree entirely on the ludicrous use of that term.

On the sensible point - I see what you mean, Iím just arguing that Saili aside (who did have a bit of an injury record) itís not like weíve signed players with poor histories in these cases. And Sailiís issue could happen if he had never been injured ever.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 11:57
As Napoleon said about a potential new General, " but is he lucky..?"

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

quinnick (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 12:37
Suggesting he has mental health issues because of a freak injury is a step too far. I think anyone who broke a bone in their neck from a tackle would be nervous about a return to rugby at whatever level of the game. I personally can't imagine what the injury would feel like, but I can only assume it would be horrible. Going from nerves to mental illness is a big leap and not one that should be thrown around as simply as that.

16 February, 2018 12:50
Quote:
quinnick
Suggesting he has mental health issues because of a freak injury is a step too far. I think anyone who broke a bone in their neck from a tackle would be nervous about a return to rugby at whatever level of the game. I personally can't imagine what the injury would feel like, but I can only assume it would be horrible. Going from nerves to mental illness is a big leap and not one that should be thrown around as simply as that.

Absolutely. Very daft to throw that term around without having any facts.

If I'd broken my throat I'd be wary about contact for quite a long time. I'm sure it's something he'll come through though.

Bellyfull (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 13:28
How would you describe it then physically ok but not able to do your job?

jonf (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 13:30
Belly - good question

16 February, 2018 13:35
As previously posted, he's had to be taught to speak again. Not sure whether this was as a direct result of the injury or the surgery to the throat area. This explains the long rehab?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 13:35
No it's a ludicrous question.

There's a long way between getting back to being confident in contact as a rugby player after you broke your throat and couldn't breath to someone on a message board then deciding that it's acceptable to say you've got "mental health issues".

But, thankfully, it's 2018, so we've all grown up and know not to do this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/02/2018 13:36 by blucherquin.

Cookie (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 13:36
I'll say again, has it actually been said that he's struggling with the mental aspect of going in to contact?

JK said it was a breathing issue when at full capacity. Happy to be proved wrong, but this sounds like Chinese whispers.

quin_jon (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 13:36
Agreed that (if) the issue is mental and not physical.

But saying that anyone with a crisis of confidence (or even the opposite with over confidence) should be labelled as mentally ill seems to be pushing it a tad too far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/02/2018 13:37 by quin_jon.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 13:38
Quote:
quin_jon
Agreed that (if) the issue is mental and not physical.
But saying that anyone with a crisis of confidence (or even the opposite with over confidence) should be labelled as mentally ill seems to be pushing it a tad too far.

Or "insensitive" and "crass"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/02/2018 13:42 by blucherquin.

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 13:55
Bellyfull is Bish and I claim my £5

Bellyfull (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 14:13
Unfortunately not !!!

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 14:38
Using the term "Mental Illness" and thinking its always a bad thing is actually part of the problem itself because of the stigma it carries.

Whilst not advocating it is now alright to go round calling everyone a "loony", (except Slinky because he is one) attitudes to mental health issues have got to change.

I guarantee you absolutely rock solidly that we all know several people with mental health issues. The problem is that it is an invisible disease.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 14:42
Quote:
Scaramouche
Using the term "Mental Illness" and thinking its always a bad thing is actually part of the problem itself because of the stigma it carries.
Whilst not advocating it is now alright to go round calling everyone a "loony", (except Slinky because he is one) attitudes to mental health issues have got to change.

I guarantee you absolutely rock solidly that we all know several people with mental health issues. The problem is that it is an invisible disease.

That's exactly why people on message boards shouldn't throw the term around about a rugby player who may or may not be a bit worried about getting hit in the throat.

16 February, 2018 15:02
Quote:
Scaramouche

To be fair I don't think anyone on here has remotely suggested that it's a 'bad thing'.

It's a very serious issue for many people, so I think it's right that people on here are taking it seriously and not accepting a knee-jerk diagnosis by one poster.

Fursty (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 16:01
Cookie - JK mentioned that the Cat was wary of going into contact following the injury.

I think it's entirely right to call it a mental health issue and precisely for the reasons outlined above - i.e that mental health issues can be wide ranging and aren't simply limited to the traditional view of what constitutes mental illness, and to add to this its equally important to take care of players mental well being as their physical. It may not be as serious as some mental health issues but some physical injuries are more serious than others.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 16:40
Quote:
Fursty
Cookie - JK mentioned that the Cat was wary of going into contact following the injury.
I think it's entirely right to call it a mental health issue and precisely for the reasons outlined above - i.e that mental health issues can be wide ranging and aren't simply limited to the traditional view of what constitutes mental illness, and to add to this its equally important to take care of players mental well being as their physical. It may not be as serious as some mental health issues but some physical injuries are more serious than others.

This board operates in an entirely parallel universe.

He got hit in the throat and couldn't breath and broke a bone most of us didn't know existed. He's taking a bit of time to take full contact because he's "nervous" and needs to build up his "confidence" (those are the medical word for all the would-be psychiatrists on here).

Soon this is going to end up like our modern and enlightened chats about the word gypsy, and women in sport.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 21:49
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Fursty

This board operates in an entirely parallel universe.

He got hit in the throat and couldn't breath and broke a bone most of us didn't know existed. He's taking a bit of time to take full contact because he's "nervous" and needs to build up his "confidence" (those are the medical word for all the would-be psychiatrists on here).

Weellll my eldest daughter is a practising Doctor of Psychology and daughter number 2 has a 1st Class degree in Psychology so I have some second hand knowledge here. Its not often I disagree with blucherquin but you need to recognise that life is not all about manning up and not being a softie anymore. PTSD for example is now a very real thing and openly recognised. The Cat may have had previous anxiety/depression/stress related issues before the incident which we will never know about so lets not judge him yet, please. smiling smiley

Soon this is going to end up like our modern and enlightened chats about the word gypsy, and women in sport.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 10:16
I thought they had dropped the ďDĒ - disorder from PTSD and exchanged it with ďSĒ for syndrome to emphasise that it was not a disability per se, but an externally forced condition...

blucherquin (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 12:50
Anyway....

The Cat Iím sure will be back - Kingston has stopped mentioning Saili recently so who knows.

Fanski (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 09:25
Salli another great signing

to be fair he looked good for the 60 minutes or so I have seen him play LOL

blucherquin (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 10:02
Quote:
Fanski
Salli another great signing
to be fair he looked good for the 60 minutes or so I have seen him play LOL

Heís superb and would have been/will be great for us. Not sure we can blame anyone for him getting a horrific head knock.

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 12:51
Lets hope its not a mental health issue - I couldn't take another long exciting thread on the subject !!

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 16:36
Hmmm like I said, attitudes to Mental Illness need to change...

Navyquin (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 19:34
Quote:
Scaramouche
Hmmm like I said, attitudes to Mental Illness need to change...

Completely agree.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 19:17
Quote:
jonf
I posted a few months ago that we will never see Sailli in a Quins shirt again. Anyone think I am wrong?

Oh ye of little faith smiling smiley

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 19:30
Really pleased to hear he is playing again. Not sure of future intention, but hope we get to see the best of what he can offer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net