rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Public Statement from David Ellis please
Bucksquin (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 18:48
Good FB post:

Nick Plaistow "As part of the'Quins family' and a STH and according to my card a Harlequins Member it's time for the CEO to make a statement and explain why he extended the contracts to the coaching staff. Most of which have a very sparse CV. I think we deserve some sort of explanation and what they intend to do to get Harlequins Rugby back on track. We know what's needed but I like to hear from the Board on their thoughts. A public statement please."

Re: Public Statement from David Ellis please
zandini (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 20:19
THE club has historically not responded to anything vaguely controversial. As a pure business notion, the ceo of a company should step up in situations like this.

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 22:25
Do me a favour. As painful is it might be, for a momwent remove the emotional point that this is a sports club we support and consider this a business. No CEO - or board - in his right mind would go on record and justify why he employed a particular person or people, even if it was a failing company. Crying foul and demanding a public statement will achieve nothing beyond further upsetting the Ellisbashers when he - reasonably, in my opinion - ignores you.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 22:34
Dead Baron,

You are quite correct, there will be no statement from DE. There will be no care given for the thoughts of the man in row z. Unfortunately, our beloved game has become a business, and branding, PR and the bottom line is all that matters.

Unfortunately for the shareholders, they have appointed a smooth talking CEO who talks a great game but hasn't got a clue when it comes to delivering. The shareholders don't give a monkeys about the club as long as we stay in the premiership to get the TV money and keep up the revenue while the property development come to fruition.

Relegation is the only scenario that haunts them, and only because it turns the losses from acceptable long term holding costs, to unacceptable asset carrying costs. Of course the way to cut the cash flow bleed is to make the club bankrupt and just keep the property.

There is a real risk that a 150 year old rugby club will become extinct, sacrificed on the altar of corporate greed.*

* Yes I know its 151 years!!!

T-Bone (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 01:20
I was banging on about this post game. About 6/7/8 seasons whiz under oshea I think, but maybe Richards, we lost at home in the semi-finals of a cup competition to falcons. Robshaw wrote an open letter of apology to the fans. Can you imagine jk, ellis or that lot having the decency to do the same? Sadly even horwill won't speak up

Squid (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 09:36
Ellis made his public statement a few weeks ago with the contract extensions for John Kingston and most of the coaching team.

So unless there is a new CEO, then the players and supporters are stuck with this coaching set up for another season at least.

The team haven't won since those contract extensions were made and the performances against Saints, Wasps, Tigers and Falcons suggest that the players are far from happy.

The only options for players and supporters are to accept this state of affairs or to vote with your feet.

After 20 years as a ST holder, I'll probably be doing the latter.

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 19:29
Quote:
Stooperman
Dead Baron,
You are quite correct, there will be no statement from DE. There will be no care given for the thoughts of the man in row z. Unfortunately, our beloved game has become a business, and branding, PR and the bottom line is all that matters.

Unfortunately for the shareholders, they have appointed a smooth talking CEO who talks a great game but hasn't got a clue when it comes to delivering. The shareholders don't give a monkeys about the club as long as we stay in the premiership to get the TV money and keep up the revenue while the property development come to fruition.

Relegation is the only scenario that haunts them, and only because it turns the losses from acceptable long term holding costs, to unacceptable asset carrying costs. Of course the way to cut the cash flow bleed is to make the club bankrupt and just keep the property.

There is a real risk that a 150 year old rugby club will become extinct, sacrificed on the altar of corporate greed.*

Sadly - because of the point, not because I like an argument - I can't disagree with any of that. Yes, top (and even sub-top) flight rugby has become a business, and yes that means that the business owners and their shareholders care more about a solid balance sheet and reasonable rate of return than about the successess of the playing side. Of course, the fact that the two are to a greater or lesser extent linked seems to have slipped unnoticed past some, but that is largely irrelegant. For as long as the company (club) continues to turn a return the business folk will be happy and will keep treating it like a business. Sadly too, that also means that there is less accountability to us as stakeholders and so no, there won't be any public explanations or (god forbid) apologies.

I say this not to inflame or incite, but purely as a rather cynical and pragmatic point of view: the "glory days" of rugby - at least at our level - are long gone, and as with our perennial mediocre performances and lack of Top 4 desire the sooner we accept that fact the easier it will be for our collective emotional state.

DamonQuins (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 10:17
What's Ellis's email address? I would like to inform him I won't be back unless change happens quickly....the club is toxic

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 15:41
Some very good points above and sadly tells us that either relegation or a 60-80% drop in ST renewals is the only way that we will see a change in coaching or attitudes at a board level.

Weíll survive this season and probably next so the only real way is with our feet but as a set of supporters, we're probably not brave enough to do it.

Feels like put up or shut up both on the pitch and in the stands!

Bucksquin (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 18:55
Just thought I'd put this back at the top of the board ó even more relevant now?

jonf (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 18:59
Has he ever made a statement on anything?

DOK (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 19:39
He's going to be at the QUINSSA meeting in the Kings Bar on Tuesday 1st May at 19.30. Why don't you come along and chat with him?

JJ44 (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 20:09
Quote:
Stooperman
Dead Baron,

New guy...come in peace and all that.

I always thought the shareholders were actually very good for the club and sure I read somewhere that they have invested north of £20m in their tenure thus far?

What makes you say they donít give a monkeys?

Also the flippant comment about TV money and revenue is a bit silly considering most people on here have seen the state of the statutory accounts and the state of most of the premiership teams finances.

The rugby financial model is broken, everyone knows that. The only winners are the players and agents. Clubs rely on their owners to fund it and keep it running and I think we have a good bunch.

As for the stadium redevelopment chat do you not think itís a good outcome for EVERYONE if we get a shiny new stadium and community complex that doesnít cost our shareholders any further investment? Iím assuming the proceeds from the sale of some of the land will fund the new stadium.

Is the club being managed poorly? Yes I would certainly agree with that. I am fully in the camp of getting rid of the whole coaching staff and DE and the board are to blame for that. The shareholders have left the board to make these decisions and have always been hands off is my understanding.

Finally to preempt the usual guff responses no I donít work for the club and no I donít represent or have any connections to the shareholders!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 20:47
Nope youíre right.

If you want Premiership rugby clubs to be run as actual ďclubsĒ not professional sports fanrchises you are 20 years too late.

It now only survives on the whim of a few - because as so well put above - the model is broken.

Sarries, Worcs, Irish all need investment.

A new stadium with flats etc etc may be the only way Quins can be here in another 20 years

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net