rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Twickenham Weather this Friday
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 08:56
Somerset raiding party here. Just checked the Beeb and it says 3 degrees with light snow all day on Friday.

Would appreciate any local updates as we get nearer and actually on the day more significantly.

Gracias mes compadres.

COYQ!!!

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Re: Twickenham Weather this Friday
PQ2 (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 09:13
-Just for clarity, is that 3 degrees in Celsiheit or Fahrengrade?
-Or is it the ones that Prince Charles liked?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 09:16
3 carbuncles past the freckle.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 13:12
Yeah it keeps changing at the moment, Met Office has it at 1c actual temperature with 50% chance of snow most of the day but the stuff that's falling here so far this week looks very pretty but disappears straight away.

"Feels like" temperature is about -4 at kick off.....mmmm toasty.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 22:17
thanks...updates most welcome as I don't fancy spending the night in a snowdrift along the M3 somewhere.....sad smiley

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 23:41
Latest on met office is -1 and heavy snow between 3-8pm on Friday

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 00:13
Yikes!

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 02:10
But it is still changing hourly...

blucherquin (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 04:09
Membership manager bloke responded to someone on twitter saying itís unlikely game would be cancelled - pitch under snow protection and everything being gritted (including fansí teeth no doubt)

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 07:15

Safri-quin (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:04
Quote:
blucherquin
Membership manager bloke responded to someone on twitter saying itís unlikely game would be cancelled - pitch under snow protection and everything being gritted (including fansí teeth no doubt)

I'm guessing they wont fall foul of H&S... i.e so focussed on pitch and keeping it warm, they forget to deal with access to stadium and seats for the supporters...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/02/2018 10:04 by Safri-quin.

Hellequin (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:14
Normally depends on access to the stadium, are nearby streets gritted and not unsafe to drive or walk along and will it remain safe after the match.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:43
Very good blucherquin! Thanks Bolly that is one helluva photograph!

I'm beginning to think that our problem is going to be getting out of and back into the South West rather than at the other end judging by the large dump being forecast here for Thursday....(Sm40)

The fact that it is televised might be the deciding factor here........

Monte (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 12:18
Main roads not likely to be a problem. But for me it is the last half mile to get home.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 13:37
Quote:
Safri-quin
Quote:
blucherquin

I'm guessing they wont fall foul of H&S... i.e so focussed on pitch and keeping it warm, they forget to deal with access to stadium and seats for the supporters...

Access to seats? What do you want them to do - carry you up the steps? I think dressing properly and walking is probably up to you.

A316 will be fine and the bloke said they're gritting around the ground.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 15:05
Club says game highly unlikely to be called off:

AN UPDATE FOR SUPPORTERS AHEAD OF HARLEQUINS' MATCH AGAINST BATH RUGBY (FRIDAY 2ND MARCH, KICK-OFF 19:45).

Despite the adverse weather conditions many are experiencing across the country, and while the Club cannot guarantee the match won't be cancelled, it is highly unlikely that Friday night's match against Bath will be called off.

The pitch has been covered by a protective dome since Monday 26th February and will be kept on until Friday afternoon when the temperature is expected to rise.

All public areas are being gritted and plans are already in place to deal with any snowfall between now and kick-off.

All surrounding areas are also being gritted Ė including the A316, and the car parks (including the Rosebine) will also be in use.

In the unlikely event of the match being cancelled, the Club will announce it on social media, on quins.co.uk and will email and text all Members and supporters for whom we have current contact information.

To keep up to date with the weather please visit the BBC website here and for travel information, please visit TFL and South Western Railway.

For Members who are unable to attend, donít forget that you can forward your ticket to a friend by using Ticket Forwarding or put it up for resale using Ticket Resale in the MyStoop portal of quins.co.uk.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 15:28
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Safri-quin
Quote:
blucherquin

Access to seats? What do you want them to do - carry you up the steps? I think dressing properly and walking is probably up to you.

I assume he meant that they have to make sure that the access to the seats is safe in terms of ice.

It shouldn't be a massive problem as most seats are covered and so the area around shouldn't get too icy, but they'll have to grit in there as well I'd have thought to ensure full H&S womble compliance.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 15:50
Its not just big strong men with boots on attending. You have to consider the children and elderly or infirm too.

New Forest Quin (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 16:11
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Safri-quin
Quote:
blucherquin

I assume he meant that they have to make sure that the access to the seats is safe in terms of ice.

It shouldn't be a massive problem as most seats are covered and so the area around shouldn't get too icy, but they'll have to grit in there as well I'd have thought to ensure full H&S womble compliance.

Spot on. I remember a game at Allianz Park after it had snowed and the steps up to the seats and the whole uncovered seated area was like an ice rink.
I've only recently recovered from multiple fractures and I don't fancy bouncing down the steps of the stand on my a**e.

Mancquin (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 16:53
I would prefer the game to be postponed to later in the season when apart from better weather we will have 4 England players back who might be able to get some more enthusiasm from the team and more dynamism and perhaps a home win. But then Bath will have their Internationals back also .....

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 16:56
Quote:
Mancquin
I would prefer the game to be postponed to later in the season when apart from better weather we will have 4 England players back who might be able to get some more enthusiasm from the team and more dynamism and perhaps a home win. But then Bath will have their Internationals back also .....

Fair point!

Meadway Meanderer (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 22:47
Although it's not been too accurate with the storm the BBC weather app says we should be getting a bit snow storm from 1pm on the Friday till9pm which is the times they said they'll take off the covers...
As for roads Richmond Council seem to have done a good job of gritting the roads so far so I don't think that will be a problem.
Temperature will still be below freezing

Dogger_ (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 23:08
Quote:
Scaramouche
Its not just big strong men with boots on attending. You have to consider the children and elderly or infirm too.

Oh no - I didnít realise our injury list was quite so bad. Hard times indeed

blucherquin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 07:11
No snow forecast for Friday here now - well no more than 20% chance anyway.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 08:02
My main concern is that sw trains don't decide to just stop their service around 8:30...

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 09:45
No chance the referee will come in early and decide whether the game goes ahead, I suppose?

To save us having wasted journeys?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 10:32
Quote:
QuickerQuin
No chance the referee will come in early and decide whether the game goes ahead, I suppose?

Itíll go ahead. Itís tried and failed to snow with any menace here. All roads are clear, no snow forecast now for Twickenham after lunchtime today - less than 10% chance most of the day tomorrow.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 11:40
Thanks for all that. Still undecided. I would imagine the fact that it is televised would mean it will deffo go ahead. The good news is that here we haven't had more than a couple of centimetres so far but it is very very blustery.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 11:45
Im looking forward to it -- result aside -- i guess the weather will stop a lot of people from outside london from being able to make it, so will huddle for warmth and enjoy the stupidity of sitting outside for two hours in -5c while drinking...

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 11:54
If I stay home I'll be on Wadworth 6X with a Glenfiddich chaser at around 20 degrees.

Oh dear. Looks like I'm leaning towards the chicken route.....slap me someone (form an orderly queue you lot)..

blucherquin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 11:58
Quote:
Scaramouche
If I stay home I'll be on Wadworth 6X with a Glenfiddich chaser at around 20 degrees.

Oh dear. Looks like I'm leaning towards the chicken route.....slap me someone (form an orderly queue you lot)..

Hipflask is ready...come on mate...you know it's worth it.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:07
Ok but how many bedrooms have you got spare? smiling smiley

New Forest Quin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:15
The forecast here is for heavy snow for the next 7 hours accompanied by gusts of up to 38mph and then light snow going in to Friday am.

I would hate to get beaten by the weather, but its not looking good.

Dinsdale (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:21
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
QuickerQuin

Itíll go ahead. Itís tried and failed to snow with any menace here. All roads are clear, no snow forecast now for Twickenham after lunchtime today - less than 10% chance most of the day tomorrow.
Always worth keeping an eye on the forecast. Currently showing 0 degrees and >50% chance of snow for Friday evening from 17:00 onwards.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:33
Some wildly varying forecasts - as usual!

FWIW Metcheck shows a pretty bleak picture...

[www.metcheck.com]

Stooperman (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:37
If the game goes ahead, I think the attendance will be pretty low - not a reflection on the club or JK or anything else...its just transport does not work in this country at these temperatures. I'd rather they popstpone TBH, and we can play when we've got the cavalry back from England duty.

I will be watching at home and cheering the boys on.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:41
Actually it's just light snow, so all a bit of an anti-climax.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:43
I dont think The Twickenham weather will be the concern
You have to ask with the weather forecast looking very bleak for Somerset Devon, will Bath be able to get there to play

blucherquin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:53
Quote:
Dinsdale
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
QuickerQuin

Always worth keeping an eye on the forecast. Currently showing 0 degrees and >50% chance of snow for Friday evening from 17:00 onwards.

Yeah it changed after I posted. But right now I'm sitting 10 mins from the Stoop and there's more frosting on most cupcakes than there is snow outside (Met office says there's currently a 70% chance of snow, it ain't snowing) and it hasn't snowed since about 1030am and there's clear roads and no traffic because everyone expected doomsday.

Twickenham won't be a problem - and the pitch certainly won't be the problem. But if you happen to live outside the M25 I guess getting to the motorways might be the issue - although the south east seems to have escaped the worst of it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 13:34 by blucherquin.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:12
Good point about the Bath Team. You'd imagine they have already travelled I guess.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 15:08
The BEEB is saying light snow from 3pm until midnight for Twickenham tomorrow.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

blucherquin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 15:47
Quote:
QuickerQuin
The BEEB is saying light snow from 3pm until midnight for Twickenham tomorrow.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Possibly - as I say Met Office says 50% chance of snow from 5pm. And they're the ones who actually do the forecasting and measuring, BBC just use their data.

[www.metoffice.gov.uk]

Mayor West (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 18:50
I was going to say are the Bath team already here as its more likely them getting here is the bigger problem than what's happening round the Stoop.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 19:35
Many roads blocked tonight here in Dorset, & forecasted to be worse further west. Spare a thought for the Bath fans too.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 19:48
Bath team donít travel up until tomorrow apparently so no5 here already
With match being on BT Iím sphere is a reluctance to move
Chiefs v Globogym has been put back 24 hours til Sunday due to the weather

Mayor West (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 20:10
What happens if we are ready to go but they don't get here on time? Can we have the points?

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 22:32
Perhaps the game will be called off, not because of the condition of the pitch, but because of the health and safety of the travelling spectators.

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 22:39
Quote:
QuickerQuin
Perhaps the game will be called off, not because of the condition of the pitch, but because of the health and safety of the travelling spectators.

Anything is possible but the club are doing what they can;

"All public areas are being gritted and plans are already in place to deal with any snowfall between now and kick-off.

All surrounding areas are also being gritted Ė including the A316, and the car parks (including the Rosebine) will also be in use."

blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 07:39
I get the point but Iím not sure the health and safety of fans is up to the club until theyíre at the ground.

Thereís no snow here to speak of, and all the roads are clear - and better still - the chaos elsewhere means thereís no traffic coz lots of people are at home.

If you can get out if wherever you are (like those people whoíve just sat on a train from Waterloo for 15 hours) the motorways and roads are fine.

Light snow now forecast most of day but wind is so strong itís likely to be just a dusting.

Wind and the cold will make the game interesting though..

Looking forward to seeing any other adventurers who make it to the Stoop.

Rocker (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 08:19
Not going to be there myself. Weather has put a stop to that idea, we've got several inches of snow in Hampshire

Elecquin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 08:38
Surely with an amber weather warning in force they have to cancel? Especially if they want the fans to be there - plenty will not travel due to the weather.

SussexMightyQuin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 08:51
Quote:
Elecquin
Surely with an amber weather warning in force they have to cancel? Especially if they want the fans to be there - plenty will not travel due to the weather.

I suspect televisionís requirements will trump those of the travelling fans Elecquin

blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 09:05
Quote:
Elecquin

Thereís no weather problem here though.

Totally get peoples frustrations but canít say Iíve ever imagined an event being cancelled because people canít get there - as much as itís a shame for them.

Itís only a yellow warning for London - and before we all became infantile and introduced this system to stop people getting sued, it just means itís a bit cold and might snow in winter.

Iím immature enough that i snigger every time thereís a yellow snow warning anyway.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 09:07 by blucherquin.

Rocker (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 10:02
Quote:
blucherquin

IÔŅĹm immature enough that i snigger every time thereÔŅĹs a yellow snow warning anyway.

He he, don't eat the yellow snow ;-)

Whilst London is bound not to be too bad I can't imagine that there will be many there because a good proportion of the fans travel a fair distance. The weather isn't really conducive to long distance travel with more heavy snow forecast this afternoon south and west of London. M3 and A3 areas, new forest etc all expected to be badly hit.
Having said that I don't expect then to cancel the game.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 10:07
Anybody like to have a small wager with me that the game is not played tonight. (Full 80 minutes)?

02 March, 2018 10:12
When would they be able to reschedule the game if it is called off? I imagine that's the main problem with cancelling it because a midweek game presumably isn't an option.

Chiswick Quin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 10:21
South West Trains are closing early today

[www.southwesternrailway.com]

Cookie (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 10:25
Missus is a teacher at the affiliated school and theyíve been told a decision will be made at 1pm.

kevin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 10:26
Quote:
QuickerQuin
Anybody like to have a small wager with me that the game is not played tonight. (Full 80 minutes)?
My money on a postponement.

Stu_J_Mac (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 10:27
Quote:
talkshowhost86
When would they be able to reschedule the game if it is called off? I imagine that's the main problem with cancelling it because a midweek game presumably isn't an option.

We and Bath are both free on European weekends. I would think that would need to be the solution.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 10:29
Quote:
talkshowhost86

Well we have a lot of free weekends as we don't seem to have qualified for the latter stages of any competitions this year (Sm163)

But Bath are in the semis of the Anglo-Welsh so that rules out next weekend. I would guess the European quarters weekend on 20/21/22 April?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 10:45
Quote:
kevin
Quote:
QuickerQuin

Would be rubbish if they did considering they said it was highly unlikely and thereís no snow anywhere within 5 miles of the Stoop.

Stu_J_Mac (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 10:48
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
kevin
Quote:
QuickerQuin

Would be rubbish if they did considering they said it was highly unlikely and thereís no snow anywhere within 5 miles of the Stoop.

SW Rail shutting down at 8pm. No way game goes ahead.

And check the forecast - there is snow on its way this afternoon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 10:49 by Stu_J_Mac.

02 March, 2018 10:50
The club have just tweeted to say it's going ahead still.

Update at 12.30.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 10:51
Quote:
Stu_J_Mac
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
kevin
Quote:
QuickerQuin

SW Rail shutting down at 8pm. No way game goes ahead.

And check the forecast - there is snow on its way this afternoon.

I have - Iím here - and itís the same snow as yesterday - which will be none.

02 March, 2018 10:54
Based on recent performances you can understand why they might want to play a game that none of the supporters can get too.....

Saintquin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 11:27
Will be my first home fixture missed in over 10 years.
Strange thing is I'm not sure if I'm bothered by it or not!

Harlequins, (was once) probably the best rugby club in the world!
(Sm115)(Sm115)(Sm115)

Finknottle (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 11:32
Quote:
talkshowhost86

Could we not play it tomorrow or Sunday? Exeter have moved their game back 24 hours.

Saintquin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 11:35
Just read on COML (Baths board) Bath coach stuck in snow!

Harlequins, (was once) probably the best rugby club in the world!
(Sm115)(Sm115)(Sm115)

blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 11:50
Quote:
Saintquin

Well the Bath official Twitter just retweeted Quins saying itís still on.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 11:55
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Saintquin

Maybe they were being ironic.

BB

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 12:13
Quote:
Quins brixton branch
Based on recent performances you can understand why they might want to play a game that none of the supporters can get too.....

Loving the gallows humour....

blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 12:17
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Saintquin

Maybe they were being ironic.

Sadly irony is beyond the official Twitter of any professional sports team these days.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 12:35
Comments under the club tweet are pathetic.

ďThink about fan safetyĒ ďitís dangerousĒ

Most pathetic rubbish Iíve ever heard,

Itís not compulsory to attend, if driving conditions are dangerous then donít drive.

The idea that the club has to stop idiots driving badly in poor driving conditions itís extraordinay.

Take some responsibility for your life. Honest to Christ itís pathetic.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 12:37
Quote:
blucherquin
Comments under the club tweet are pathetic.
ďThink about fan safetyĒ ďitís dangerousĒ

Most pathetic rubbish Iíve ever heard,

Itís not compulsory to attend, if driving conditions are dangerous then donít drive.

The idea that the club has to stop idiots driving badly in poor driving conditions itís extraordinay.

Take some responsibility for your life. Honest to Christ itís pathetic.

Calm down dear.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net