rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

If JK does go...
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 10:35
First things first let's not turn this thread into another argument about whether JK should go or not...there's enough of those arguments happening elsewhere.

But whichever side of that particular debate you sit on, it's clearly an issue that is on the table for discussion by Quins fans, and if we do replace JK it will be the biggest decision in recent Quins history having kept with largely the same coaching team since 2009.

So in the event that JK does leave, or is removed, who would people like to see come in to replace him? It's been an argument of those that support JK that there isn't anyone else available, and whilst I think that's a bit simplistic, it does bring up the question of who do we want instead?

I have to admit I'm fairly limited in my knowledge of coaches/DORs outside the Premiership/Pro 14, so I'm hoping there are some people on here who have a few more ideas of who they would like to see take Quins forwards if we do end up making a change.

(apologies if this has been done already...couldn't see a recent thread covering it).

Re: If JK does go...
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 11:41
Eddie Jones?

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

01 March, 2018 12:02
Quote:
Scaramouche
Eddie Jones?

I reckon you can do better than that

Navyquin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:21
Would love to get in Scott Robertson from the Crusaders but don't see much change of that happening when he is looking to win back to back Super Ruby championships.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:21
Jamie Joseph?

Done it with the Highlanders and doing pretty well with the Japanese franchise Sunwolves.

[www.stuff.co.nz]

WoTQuin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:28
Vern Cotter or Wayne Pivac or Ben Ryan or Milton Haig or Stephen Jones (Scarlets not ST!).....I could go on!

01 March, 2018 12:53
Quote:
WoTQuin
Vern Cotter or Wayne Pivac or Ben Ryan or Milton Haig or Stephen Jones (Scarlets not ST!).....I could go on!

I think Pivac and Jones will likely be in line for replacing Gatland after the World Cup.

I'd be very surprised if Cotter would leave Montpellier having only started there last year. I think we missed the boat with him.

Haig and Ryan are interesting calls.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:04
Cockers or Mallinder?

01 March, 2018 13:11
Think Mallinder would be a good fit for us.

Not so sure about Cockers personally.

Welshquin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:20
Mallinder is being linked with Cardiff Blues.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:25
Oh well its not something that is going to happen for a while yet, if at all, so we need to be aware of who might be available at that time.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:26
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Think Mallinder would be a good fit for us.
Not so sure about Cockers personally.

Actually I'd go the opposite way. My reasoning being that Mallinder is a bit too "gentleman Jim" - and what we actually need is a snarling bulldog like Cockers to wake the players up out of their complacency. If they don't want to work hard and improve, they can ship out.

Remember how Deano turned things around, he is a hard man and a disciplinarian. I think Cockers might do the same.

Fursty (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:40
Ben Ryan with the right coaches brought in to support him would be my choice.

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:41
How about Andy Farrell or i hate to say it Super Stu Lancaster - both have gone on to have significant impacts in Ireland.

I think you have to be careful with coaches from SH, as the style of rugby, coupled with relegation can be quite a culture shock. Not everyone adapts well.

I'd be happy for JK to stay and bring in a whole new back-room team.

or if he goes, then some of the other have to go with him.

evansbrown (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 14:03
Ben Ward from Ealing Trailfinders. Promotion from Nat 1 with record points in his first season; avoided relegation in his second; third last year and now comfortably in second in the Championship this season. Only 33 as well so young ambitious English coach rather than one of the same old names or another southern hemispherer.

Can get his head coach Alex Codling (former Quin) in as well.

RocQuin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 15:20
Rob Baxter would be my first choice, but I don’t know if:

A) we could pay him enough
cool smiley he would want to leave Chiefs
C) he would want to join Quins

TheSouthfields2 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 15:28
I would put Nick Evans in as Caretaker and stall the replacement until the right person is available. He would fight to keep the place but the downside is that he would have to let a few of his mates go but if you are going to be a decent DoR that's part of the job.

WoTQuin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 15:45
I really like the idea of Andy Farrell, I think it is time for him to get a DoR opportunity. Ben Ward is another good thought. I also like the look of Alex Sanderson in terms of coaching and leading the club from a media POV.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 16:14
We should have got Cockerill but our stupid board failed to act. Originally said Robbie Deans or Vern Cotter. Still think Cockers was our guy. We simply have to do something!

TitusQuin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 16:58
Quote:
TheSouthfields2
I would put Nick Evans in as Caretaker and stall the replacement until the right person is available. He would fight to keep the place but the downside is that he would have to let a few of his mates go but if you are going to be a decent DoR that's part of the job.

Not a strong enough personality, a bit like Big Jim.

Cockerell would be a disaster imho as he singlehandedly ruined the tigers academy by bringing in washed up journeyman. He may have a 6 month impact but not long term.

Not convinced about Vern Cotter. He had the most talented squad at Clermont and failed time and again in the big games. Didn't set the world alight as Scotland coach and benefitted through Townsends Glasgow players. Montpellier were awful in Europe this year when they have spent the most money in the top 14. Overrated and out of our price range i would suspect.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 17:06
Definitely get Cockers - he would turn this club around.

01 March, 2018 17:18
Did Cockers build up Leicester in the same way as Mallinder did Saints?

I know they had a lot of success but how much of that did he inherit?

mccc (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 17:41
So basically everyone wants jk out but the guy we want to bring in ie mallinder or cockers failed at their clubs. Really let's replace one failure with another.

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 17:42
Alex Sanderson to take up his first DOR role.

Well respected, done well at Sarries with the forwards and has said he wants to step up. Could form a good team with the right men.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 17:43
From my memory, I felt Vern Cotter built Clermont into a very formidable force which, yes, couldnt quite dominate Europe at the final hurdle, but would be a humongously massive upgrade for us in our current predicament. Plus I felt that Townsend has benifitted from Cotter's groundwork as Scotland coach, & has used his own very classy credentials to enhance the recipe.

01 March, 2018 17:51
Quote:
mccc
So basically everyone wants jk out but the guy we want to bring in ie mallinder or cockers failed at their clubs. Really let's replace one failure with another.

That's too simplistic a view.

Both stayed on too long at their clubs and things went stale but doesn't mean they wouldnt be a success elsewhere.

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 19:48
Quote:
mccc

Don`t speak for me.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 20:32
So Cockerill is a failure because in 8 seasons he only managed 2 premiership titles, 2 runners up spots, an LV trophy a Heineken cup final and 4 premiership semi-finals.

I could live with that level of failure!

kevin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 22:24
“Let’s sing another song ,boys. This one has grown old and bitter”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 09:02 by kevin.

02 March, 2018 09:00
With today's announcement I wonder if we can snaffle an up and coming Kiwi coach or DOR. Would love to see that.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 11:38
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Quote:
mccc

Don`t speak for me.

or me.

thomh (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 11:44
Quote:
mccc

Both failed having previously succeeded but stayed put too long.

grimsbyquin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 17:36
How about Pat Lamm ,knows players in pro 14 @ Southern Hemisphere ,but may be out of our price bracket

02 March, 2018 17:44
Quote:
grimsbyquin
How about Pat Lamm ,knows players in pro 14 @ Southern Hemisphere ,but may be out of our price bracket

He'll stay put for at least a year I think.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 23:08
Bring back Deano.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 08:28
Tie up with the All Blacks could provide something interesting.

DOK (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 08:30
Yes, I was wondering that... As I said somewhere, JK did a stint in NZ in one off season looking at coaching, perhaps our current coaches should.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 08:39
Didn't the telegraph article say that some coaches could go pre season along with a developing player swap. I would think that the ABs must be happy with our coaching set up otherwise they wouldn't let their players come over here unless perhaps they send some supervision.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net