rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Team vs Bath
WellingQuin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 11:55
HARLEQUINS HAS NAMED THE MATCHDAY 23 TO FACE BATH RUGBY AT THE STOOP IN ROUND 17 OF THE AVIVA PREMIERSHIP (FRIDAY 2ND MARCH, KICK-OFF 19:45).

There are six changes to the starting 15 from last week's match against Newcastle Falcons. James Lang starts at fullback as Aaron Morris picked up a knee injury last week.

Tim Visser starts on the left wing with Dave Lewis and Demetri Catrakilis named at half-backs. Jamie Roberts starts at centre and will make his 50th appearance for the Club.

Up front, Will Collier and Mat Luamanu come in to start in an otherwise unchanged pack. On the bench Francis Saili makes a welcome return and is involved for the first time in five months.

Following the conclusion of his short-term deal, signed in November 2017, Jono Kitto has departed the Club to return home to New Zealand after making nine appearances. Ian Prior will also leave Harlequins following the Bath match to return home to Australia.

Ahead of the match, Harlequins Director of Rugby, John Kingston said: “Bath are presently fighting for a Play-Off position and so will – undoubtedly - pose a major challenge.

“However, we need to focus on ourselves as we strive to get a much-needed victory. My message to all the supporters is clear, park the frustrations that we have all been feeling from the moment you come into the ground and create an atmosphere that the players can feed off.

"I would also like to extend my huge thanks to both Jono and Ian for the effort and commitment they have shown in their three months here. Both arrived in November when we had the remarkable situation of Danny Care away with England and all four of our other nines long term injured.

“They have both been very popular members of the squad and have at all times sought to give of their very best for Harlequins. We wish them all the best in their rugby careers in the Southern Hemisphere.”

Harlequins team to play Bath Rugby (Harlequins appearances)

15. James Lang (17)
14. Alofa Alofa (50)
13. Joe Marchant (51)
12. Jamie Roberts (49)
11. Tim Visser (56)
10. Demetri Catrakilis (3)
9. Dave Lewis (12)

1. Mark Lambert (228)
2. Joe Gray (147)
3. Will Collier (121)
4. Ben Glynn (19)
5. James Horwill (Captain, 52)
6. James Chisholm (53)
7. Luke Wallace (157)
8. Mat Luamanu (61)

16. Dave Ward (138)
17. Cameron Holenstein (3)
18. Kyle Sinckler (116)
19. Charlie Matthews (159)
20. Archie White (17)
21. Ian Prior (5)
22. Marcus Smith (22)
23. Francis Saili (2)

Saili!

Re: Team vs Bath
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 11:56
So Salli isnt retiring either!!!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 11:57
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, we've got Lewis starting. Oh good god. Lang at 15 is also going to be an interesting one, he's certainly got a good boot on him - anyone know what he's like under a high ball?

But great to see Saili back.

This is interesting from JK: My message to all the supporters is clear, park the frustrations that we have all been feeling from the moment you come into the ground and create an atmosphere that the players can feed off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 11:59 by blucherquin.

01 March, 2018 11:59
Interesting back division - Not seen Lang at 15.

Kitto has been very good and is a big loss.

The Cat and Saili - very rare to see either and possibly both at the same time.

Really hope they dont break again.

WellingQuin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:06
Beno Obano will make his 50th appearance for Bath Rugby against Harlequins in the Aviva Premiership tomorrow evening at The Stoop, kick-off 19:45.

Obano will start at loosehead prop, whilst Tom Homer, Matt Banahan and Luke Charteris all return to the starting line-up.

Homer, who made his comeback off the bench in last week’s win against Sale Sharks, starts in at fullback, with Banahan on the right wing and Aled Brew completing the back three.

Will Hurrell and Ben Tapuai continue in the centre partnership, with last weekend’s match-winner James Wilson at fly-half. The versatile New Zealander will once again link-up with Kahn Fotuali’i in the half-back combination.

Obano will mark his milestone in the front row alongside Ross Batty and Henry Thomas. Charteris come into the starting line-up to captain the team in the absence of Matt Garvey, and will be joined in the second-row by Elliott Stooke.

Zach Mercer, Josh Bayliss and Taulupe Faletau complete the pack in an exciting back row for the trip to Twickenham.

Nathan Catt could make is return to action, with the prop named amongst the replacements.

Bath Rugby team to face Harlequins

15. Tom Homer
14. Matt Banahan
13. Will Hurrell
12. Ben Tapuai
11. Aled Brew
10. James Wilson
9. Kahn Fotuali’i

1. Beno Obano
2. Ross Batty
3. Henry Thomas
4. Elliott Stooke
5. Luke Charteris (c)
6. Zach Mercer
7. Josh Bayliss
8. Taulupe Faletau

Replacements:
16. Nathan Charles
17. Nathan Catt
18. Max Lahiff
19. Charlie Ewels
20. James Phillips
21. Chris Cook
22. Josh Lewis
23. Cooper Vuna

dr_miles (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:13
Quote:
blucherquin
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, we've got Lewis starting. Oh good god. Lang at 15 is also going to be an interesting one, he's certainly got a good boot on him - anyone know what he's like under a high ball?
But great to see Saili back.

This is interesting from JK: My message to all the supporters is clear, park the frustrations that we have all been feeling from the moment you come into the ground and create an atmosphere that the players can feed off.

Tell you what, JK, you play some half decent rugby and we'll create the atmosphere. But let's not forget who is being paid here, so the onus is on you.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:22
Kitto is gone - and Prior going after tomorrow.

So Care and Lewis our only options for Sarries? Let's hope Care can stay fit!

Dinsdale (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:22
That looks like a strong backline who aren't actually going to see the ball much.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:35
Fotuali'i V Dave Lewis
Faletau v Luamanu

Hmmmm, I'm not optimistic!

Cookie (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:43
Bookies have Bath as favourites, but only by 2 points. Should be close. Should.

Wyddy (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:50
JK's got some nerve.

Telling us the fans to park it and generate noise for the team.

I'm right behind our lads but I resent being told what to do by someone who is failing in such an obvious and completely foreseeable fashion.

COYQ!!! I would have been there but Cathay Pathetic have cancelled my flight!!!

ballsout (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:53
JK had far more nerve to suggest the players let their families down a couple of weeks ago. What a prat.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:59
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Kitto is gone - and Prior going after tomorrow.
So Care and Lewis our only options for Sarries? Let's hope Care can stay fit!

Waters and Saunders are both fit

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:01
Certainly feels a bit rich for JK to ask us as fans to 'park our frustrations'. And as for having to create an atmosphere for the players to feed off...well fair enough to an extent but would help if you did your bit JK.

Looks like another mish-mash of a team, but it's a Bath team with gaps as well.

We can win this. Not sure whether we will.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:03
Quote:
Wyddy
JK's got some nerve.
Telling us the fans to park it and generate noise for the team.

I'm right behind our lads but I resent being told what to do by someone who is failing in such an obvious and completely foreseeable fashion.

With respect, I think you're being too sensitive. What he said is really not that big a deal.

Wyddy (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:06
Hey QP - no offence taken. We all view things differently, and to be fair one could say "Well what's he meant to say!??!"

However my patience had worn thin with JK as our best option a long time ago, so I am probably allowing my fairly long standing disappointment of our replacement of Conor to colour my opinion.

01 March, 2018 13:07
thumbs down

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:42
Why is Lewis starting? We lose whenever that man plays.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:43
His passes do always seem rather loopy.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:56
Quote:
ballsout
JK had far more nerve to suggest the players let their families down a couple of weeks ago. What a prat.

Didn't Dave Ward say the same thing?

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 16:08
Good luck to all the players but especially to Catrakilis who not only is starting after his nightmare injury but has to play outside Dave Lewis. Feel so sorry for Demetri, whats he done to deserve this? But great to have him & Sailli back. Just cant get a grip on hearing Kitto leaving but being stuck with Lewis. Bath look strong to me & have a decent looking set of finishers. Better hope Quins have one of their one in ten games. But anything can happen!

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 16:26
There is no doubt that Dave Lewis has been ponderous and indecisive , but when he came on for the last quarter against Newcastle I thought he moved the ball quicker than he had done previously , hopefully hes learnt a lesson on that .

Danny care is a master at leaving the ball at the back of a ruck for a second or so and looking for opportunity or infringement , if that's his template then hes not up to it , but watching Kitto might just have given him something else to consider.

Fingers crossed .

olipool (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 17:08
Who do we think will be kicking sticks tomorrow - The Cat, or Lang?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 17:46
Quote:
olipool
Who do we think will be kicking sticks tomorrow - The Cat, or Lang?

Well the Cat holds completion and points records for Stormers and Kings so if he’s back on form....

ballsout (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 18:11
18 players missing from Bath, though somewhat better than the 21 we were missing last week.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 18:29
Great to see Cat starting and saili back. Interesting to see how Lang goes. Not sure Gray's throwing us good enough to merit him starting now. Used to be very good, but not so much lately.

Lewis starting, urgh.

JK's patronising comments, double urgh

01 March, 2018 18:37
Quote:
ballsout
18 players missing from Bath, though somewhat better than the 21 we were missing last week.

So what?

raedarius (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 23:48
Broken record comment time...

Wallace on the wing
Luamanu as a third prop

What is the thinking behind using two of our back row players "unconventionally"?

miller8 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 05:02
Ballsout has very few friends on his own fans forum so he drifts onto others in an attempt to make friends there pretty much saying the same thing on each. He generally lacks any social skills so best to ignore him...

DOK (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 09:11
I had to reread the JK comments to see what everyone was so upset about. I still can't see it. It's not exactly the words I'd use but it's certainly the sentiment.

Come on you Harlequins fans. Tonight the team needs us more than ever. It needs us to be that extra man in the game. There won't be many of us there, we'll be freezing cold and the rugby may not be that great. But get behind the team and get to the end of 80 minutes so you can say you left nothing there in the stands! COYQ!

Damn! I'm going to have to go now, aren't I? smiling smiley

fandg2 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 09:25
Quote:
DOK

Well good, so I'll at least know there's two of us (along with the 3 Bath fan's I'm bringing along!)

Mr_B (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 09:57
Just been told by a barf fan the team coach is stuck on the a46 getting out of Barf. May not be a game after all.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 10:05
Quote:
Mr_B
Just been told by a barf fan the team coach is stuck on the a46 getting out of Barf. May not be a game after all.

No excuse.

If they don't make it we should be awarded a bonus point win.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 11:16
Quote:
raedarius
Wallace on the wing
Luamanu as a third prop

What is the thinking behind using two of our back row players "unconventionally"?

Sticking a fast flanker out there is very conventional.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

thomh (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 11:48
Quote:
Jammy Git
Quote:
raedarius
Wallace on the wing
Luamanu as a third prop

Sticking a fast flanker out there is very conventional.

Wallace isn't particularly fast.

Definitely true though that teams often have a back five forward near each wing. The strange thing with Wallace is that he occasionally stays so wide that he's out there on his own screaming for a cross-field kick.

Given that part of the openside's role is meant to be to get into the breakdown to secure your own attacking ball, it's an odd choice, but maybe they think Chisholm etc are better at that anyway.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 12:06
Wallace must just be a good catch and being heftier against running backs must help in retaining and recycling the ball.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 13:49
Quote:
Wyddy
I would have been there but Cathay Pathetic have cancelled my flight!!!

That's a rubbish excuse. I thought you had first dibs on the company jet?!?

DOK (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 14:57
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
DOK

Well good, so I'll at least know there's two of us (along with the 3 Bath fan's I'm bringing along!)

Can't say I'm sorry. It'll be warmer on Sunday.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 17:12
I might even come on sunday to give some support, depending on the state of the roads. Definitely the right decision.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net