rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Recruitment
never sleep (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 22:40
Today I was impressed by the Cat. Ben Glynn won us a turnover at a critical point in the first half . Dave Lewis was ok. Bothma has looked good in previous games. Credit where it is due. We have have had some good additions to the team this year but we have have some bad luck with injuries.

Re: Recruitment
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 16:22
Loving the positivity.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 17:00
Thought Saili looked good for the time he was on
You have to wonder how different it might have been with Cat, Saili, Bothma match fit for most of the season

Stoquin (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 17:04
I claim my £10 you are John Kingston!

I do agree though

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 17:47
Quote:
SiBolton
Thought Saili looked good for the time he was on
You have to wonder how different it might have been with Cat, Saili, Bothma match fit for most of the season

Indeed, and add to that our long-term injured such as Clifford and Swiel.

Cookie (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:02
Need only look up the M40 to see a club that's had more injuries but handled the situation better (e.g. Nizaam Carr).

DOK (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:07
You're a doctor or some such then Cookie?

Cookie (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 08:12
Ha! No such intelligence here. Just get a little tired hearing how much injuries have cost us when we could have done something about it.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 08:41
Quote:
Cookie
Ha! No such intelligence here. Just get a little tired hearing how much injuries have cost us when we could have done something about it.

Out of interest and because quite a few of us donít know what happened to Nizaam Carr, perhaps you can tell us how Wasps (presumably) fixed him up differently to our injured players?

Cookie (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 08:50
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
Cookie

Out of interest and because quite a few of us donít know what happened to Nizaam Carr, perhaps you can tell us how Wasps (presumably) fixed him up differently to our injured players?

Nothing happened to him. He was brought in as a short-term injury replacement. Now back playing with the Stormers in Super Rugby.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 08:50
He was an injury replacement, no?

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 09:14
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
Cookie

Nothing happened to him. He was brought in as a short-term injury replacement. Now back playing with the Stormers in Super Rugby.

Did Quins not get two (SH) short term replacements too? How many replacements can you have?

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 10:41
It's a quality thing. But then Carr was replacing one of the most valuable players in Europe, and as far as I can remember the value of a player determines what you can spend.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 11:18
Quote:
Jammy Git
It's a quality thing. But then Carr was replacing one of the most valuable players in Europe, and as far as I can remember the value of a player determines what you can spend.

Indeed, they have to be considered to have a similar level of game experience and salary expectation to the player being replaced.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 12:27
Earlier in the season when Bothma, Chisholm Minor and Clifford were out, there was certainly a case for a replacement, but coaching staff obviously made decision to stick with what they had in reserve, however threadbare that cover was.

Cookie (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 12:57
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Earlier in the season when Bothma, Chisholm Minor and Clifford were out, there was certainly a case for a replacement, but coaching staff obviously made decision to stick with what they had in reserve, however threadbare that cover was.

And Wallace was also out for months. We didn't have a fit 7 available until late December (well, Robbo I suppose, but you get my point). Negligent not to have addressed that.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 14:00
Yup - I forgot Wallace (and/but we had Clifford at the beginning of the season) and they should have done something - perhaps they couldn't afford to? It would be interesting to know where the balance of the decision was made - with management or coaching staff.

Whether having suitable cover would have made a difference or the price of cover justified, we'll never know...

Mayor West (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 18:29
I believe that one of the conditions of replacing a player is that they will be out of action for at least three months.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 18:39
These are the rules:
Quote:
**Injury Replacements: Where a player is injured for 12 weeks or more the Club may apply to the Salary Cap Manager to recruit a replacement player. The replacement player will then be permitted to remain with the Club for the rest of the season. The replacement player's salary for the duration of the dispensation shall sit in a separate £400,000 cap containing the Club's other injury replacements. The Club may not exceed the £400,000 during the salary cap year. In the event that a player is injured and that injury crosses over two Salary Cap years the injured player must be injured for at least the first eight weeks at the start of the year, counted from 1 August.
The application must be made while the player is still injured and the replacement player must be:
The same position as the injured player; not be deemed to be more experienced than the injured player (i.e. same or less);

Given a salary which is either comparable or lower than the injured player.
When determining these factors the Salary Cap Manager shall consider the general state of the market for availability of players in that position, the timing of when the cover is required, and any other relevant factors.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 20:25
Quote:
Cookie
Need only look up the M40 to see a club that's had more injuries but handled the situation better (e.g. Nizaam Carr).

You make a good point Cookie, but they are also a club who have increased turnover by 1.2 million so had some cash to play with youíd imagine, going by Quins financial results I would be surprised if the board had a fair say in cash flow
And still stand by the point that the season could have been a lot better if some of the new signings had been match fit, mind you that being said who knows

Cookie (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 06:58
Quote:
SiBolton
Quote:
Cookie

You make a good point Cookie, but they are also a club who have increased turnover by 1.2 million so had some cash to play with youíd imagine, going by Quins financial results I would be surprised if the board had a fair say in cash flow
And still stand by the point that the season could have been a lot better if some of the new signings had been match fit, mind you that being said who knows

Fair comment. I would suggest not having an out-and-out 7 until January was a major problem that warranted a financial hit. Look how important Wallace has been to us since he's been back.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 09:20
Quote:
Mayor West
I believe that one of the conditions of replacing a player is that they will be out of action for at least three months.

Wallace dislocated his hip in pre-season and came back in January, so surely we could have got a replacement.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 17:43
We weren't short of back rows at the time and I'm not sure if Ben Glynn is already injury cover for Twomey. As you are only allowed 400k in total for cover you would have to take a gamble by not leaving any spare cash for later in the season. Perhaps because back row has so many players that can cover the club decided not to splash the limited cash.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 17:44
Clifford would've been expected to play 7.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 17:57
Wallace has had one decent game for us since he's been back imho. I know a lot of supporters disagree ad he got player of the month, but the fact such a big deal has been made of his turnover against Bath shows what a rarity it has become. Not that it's really relevant to the discussion as a whole, but still.

Recruitment has been a mixed bag. Some decent players, some who should be and might be decent but have been injured for so muchy of their time here you can't really tell, some poor players, and some who were never likely to trouble the first choice 23 so I've not really seen much of them.

I'm not going to call Cat and Saili successes based on about 100 minutes of game time between then, but neither will I call them failures.

Seems having finally won a game some people might be going slightly overboard about things being rosy again, though maybe I'm being unfair

raedarius (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 18:08
Quote:
Mayor West
We weren't short of back rows at the time and I'm not sure if Ben Glynn is already injury cover for Twomey. As you are only allowed 400k in total for cover you would have to take a gamble by not leaving any spare cash for later in the season. Perhaps because back row has so many players that can cover the club decided not to splash the limited cash.

Glynn was injury cover initially but was given a contract subsequently.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 18:23
Re: Wallace and turnovers - he's made 4 in the last 4 AP games, a decent enough ratio compared to the league leader Blair Cowan with 16 in 15 games. Not to mention averaging 19 tackles per game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net