rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Quins sign Tapuai
WellingQuin (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 14:55
Been rumored for ages, finally confirmed:

HARLEQUINS HAS TODAY ANNOUNCED THAT BATH AND AUSTRALIA CENTRE BEN TAPUAI WILL JOIN THE SOUTH WEST LONDON CLUB AT THE END OF THE SEASON.

Director of Rugby John Kingston commented: “I am absolutely delighted to have secured Ben to join Harlequins next season. A number of clubs were interested in signing him and I was thrilled when he confirmed he wanted to come to us.

“Comfortable playing either 12 or 13, he is an excellent decision maker and footballing centre, who will undoubtedly provide a different dimension to our attacking game. We will also benefit from having an International quality player who will be available throughout the season.”

Tapuai (29), who played Super Rugby for Western Force and Queensland Reds, winning seven caps for the Wallabies said: “I’m delighted to be joining Quins and I’m very excited at the prospect of working with the playing squad, John and the coaching team.”

“Harlequins is an incredibly well supported and famous club. Playing in the Premiership has always been an ambition of mine so to be able to continue to play in one of the best club competitions in world rugby in the capital city for Quins is a prospect I’m very much looking forward to,” added Tapuai.

“I’d like to thank the Bath rugby family for giving me such a warm welcome and it will be sad to leave such a great club. I have made friends on and off the field that will live in the memory but at the same time I feel privileged to be joining Quins and I’m looking forward to the challenges that lie ahead."

Re: Quins sign Tapuai
Cookie (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 14:59
Another on-point press release praising JK, coaches and the fans.

Interested to see what this means centres-wise with Roberts, Sloan, Saili, Marchant, Lang, Sloan etc. Someone's surely leaving; presumably Roberts from a salary perspective.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 15:08
Roberts and Sloan rumoured to be leaving.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 15:13
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Roberts and Sloan rumoured to be leaving.

We'll still have one Sloan left though:-

Quote:
Cookie
Interested to see what this means centres-wise with Roberts, Sloan, Saili, Marchant, Lang, Sloan etc. Someone's surely leaving; presumably Roberts from a salary perspective.

(Sm100)

Cookie (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 15:14
Haha! Sloan II should be Stanley.

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 15:16
Given JR has frequently said how important it is to be 'at the top table' in Champs Cup (very unlikely for us next season), and is out of favour with Wales, and only had a couple of seasons left in him, and is out of contract, and hasn't really done a huge amount for Quins relative to his pay packet.....would not be a surprise or much of a disappointment to me.

Sloan is a shame - no updates since going off in his first game back from a 1yr+ injury so presumably career over. Poor guy.

Mr_B (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 15:21
well my pref would be Stanley, think he's only had one or two bit parts this season and hardly excelled, so swap them out. Guess on cost though probably a swap for Roberts.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 15:26
I think Sloan, Stanley and Roberts will be off

Salli, Tapuai, Marchant, Lang, Cheeseman and Alofa is a decent set of centres. Plus we have Hennessey in the Academy and Murley in the Academy can also play centre

BuckQuin (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 15:27
I'd rather let Stanley go than Roberts - Stanley doesn't threaten the gain line in any way whatsoever whereas Roberts has been pretty much our only backline ball-carrier capable of making busts in heavy traffic for the past few seasons. Having a fit Saili and now Tapuai available next season does change that and I guess it is just a case of balancing the books.

I never like to see Stanley on the squad list though - I don't see that he brings anything useful. Let him go anyway. Sounds harsh maybe, but he's the kind of filler player that we shouldn't be wasting any of our wage bill on if we want to have realistic top 4 / top 6 ambitions...

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 15:39
I do worry that without Roberts we don't have much in the way of oomph in the centres, but I don't know if Saili brings a bit more in that department when he's fit.

I'd just be slightly concerned that Marchant, Saili and Tapuai might be a bit similar, but maybe that's the point to give us some consistency when players are injured.

I don't really rate Alofa in the centres (albeit he's been good on the wing this season), Stanley clearly isn't up to standard and both Lang and Cheeseman are very inexperienced at the top level, so if Roberts and Sloan do leave, then I'd be slightly concerned we were still a bit light in the centres.

Still, overall Tapuai in for Roberts with a significant chunk of money presumably available to fix some other areas seems like a good deal.

06 March, 2018 16:42
On the back of Sunday's game I thought they just about cancelled each other out, so no great step forward for us.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 16:49
Yes but he'll definitely be earning less money, freeing up cash to be spent elsewhere.

06 March, 2018 16:52
Quote:
quinsfan123
Yes but he'll definitely be earning less money, freeing up cash to be spent elsewhere.

True, but on it's own not enough to buy what we need.

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 17:04
Quote:
BuckQuin
Having a fit Saili and now Tapuai available next season does change that and I guess it is just a case of balancing the books.

Talking of the books....

As i understand it Roberts is a marquee player (signed from France) outside the salary cap whereas Tapuai can't be as he's at Bath. So presumably its the Yarde-shaped hole in the bgt paying for Tapuai?

Therefore if Roberts goes, who are our marquee players? Nev was one of the two, so was it Saili or Catrakilis or Bothma who took that slot. Or none of them?

I wouldn't be surprised if the club stopped using the marquee slots as it may allow them to be closer to the 'we spend to the salary cap' mantra while actually cutting the total wage bill. (I don't think the marquee registrations are ever announced/released are they?)

06 March, 2018 17:59
Quote:
Dark Pies
Quote:
BuckQuin
Having a fit Saili and now Tapuai available next season does change that and I guess it is just a case of balancing the books.

Talking of the books....

As i understand it Roberts is a marquee player (signed from France) outside the salary cap whereas Tapuai can't be as he's at Bath. So presumably its the Yarde-shaped hole in the bgt paying for Tapuai?
Therefore if Roberts goes, who are our marquee players? Nev was one of the two, so was it Saili or Catrakilis or Bothma who took that slot. Or none of them?

I wouldn't be surprised if the club stopped using the marquee slots as it may allow them to be closer to the 'we spend to the salary cap' mantra while actually cutting the total wage bill. (I don't think the marquee registrations are ever announced/released are they?)

Earle will presumably be the replacement for Yarde.

Tapuai is likely to be coming in for the replacement for a combination of Sloan and Stanley (or even Lowe possibly) so if Roberts goes I'd assume we've got quite a bit of salary available.

Will be interesting to see how, or if, we spend it.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 17:58
Quote:
talkshowhost86

...... I'd assume we've got quite a bit of salary available.

I would'nt bet on it. Smithy probably blew next years budget as I'd bet he was only on a 2 yr Academy contract at the begining of this season

06 March, 2018 18:18
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
talkshowhost86

...... I'd assume we've got quite a bit of salary available.

I would'nt bet on it. Smithy probably blew next years budget as I'd bet he was only on a 2 yr Academy contract at the begining of this season

True actually. I'd forgotten about that additional expense.

DOK. (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:05
Well we need money for all these All Blacks will be staying with us! smiling smiley

06 March, 2018 19:19
Quote:
DOK
Well we need money for all these All Blacks will be staying with us! smiling smiley

True.

We've got to save some money so that Barrett can come over and learn from Marcus Smith.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:19
I am pretty certain if Roberts goes we will have perhaps 1 or 2 marque players available to sign. As I'm confidant that Bothma would not be one as he's come from an SA team that don't pay that much and so we would have given him a pay rise but not to marque excessive. That leaves Saili and Cat and the likelier of those to be marque is Cat but still I would surprised if he was one.

FBQuin (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:47
Sorry Perhaps I'm missing something here. This is a bit old news as someone on here found a quote about it in a Bath newspaper! do we get excited about it? We seem to have a plethora of centres who do the same thing at the club.
Personally I would love Roberts to stay as I think he's been good this season. Previously, I thought he was a waste as he was not always available for us!
Tapuai has played 12 games for the Wallabies- so a seasoned international! Bath want to move him on as he's surplus to requirements there!
Not inspired by this signing, but we will have to wait until next season before making an accurate judgment! I hope I'm proved wrong!

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:55
He certainly didn't shine on Sunday so let's hope for better next season

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:57
I read that Bath wanted him to stay, I think we also offered him more money. Auterac also coming

ironquin (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 20:25

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 20:42
Yes, it's old news. We shouldn't talk about it.

And what even are you objecting to?

Or does copying the link that we talked about in a different thread back in January and posting it here somehow move on the conversation?

number_seven (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 22:45
... will they play China In Your Hand if he scores?

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 22:47
Well now its officially been confirmed as an official signing. Before it was just a string rumour like Trinder et al.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 06:06
Quote:
quinsfan123
Well now its officially been confirmed as an official signing. Before it was just a string rumour like Trinder et al.

I'd say that even a string rumour deserves a thread.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 06:36
Quote:
number_seven
... will they play China In Your Hand if he scores?

Hope so. Great tune.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 06:36 by RodneyRegis.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 07:02
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
quinsfan123

I'd say that even a string rumour deserves a thread.

I'm a frayed knot.

Cookie (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 08:39
Ahem.......rules is rules.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 10:00
Rools are made to be broken, Officer Cookie.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Fursty (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 11:00
Quote:
Cookie

Looks like a good old case of rope a dope.

Cookie (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 11:23
Brilliant. DOK's sticky worked really well. This country!

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 11:53
Suggest we spam the never ending thread as payback.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 12:19
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
Cookie

Looks like a good old case of rope a dope.

Stringing posters along...

Cookie (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 13:03
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Suggest we spam the never ending thread as payback.

what a most excellent idea.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 13:53
Punts

BB

Fursty (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 14:21
QK you could say that your frayed knot comment caused Cookie’s patience to wear thin.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 17:52
Quote:
Fursty
QK you could say that your frayed knot comment caused Cookie’s patience to wear thin.

I didn't cotton on to that... winking smiley

ironquin (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 18:47
Quote:
blucherquin

Or does copying the link that we talked about in a different thread back in January and posting it here somehow move on the conversation?

Calm down, you sound like my mum

blucherquin (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 07:06
Quote:
ironquin
Quote:
blucherquin

Calm down, you sound like my mum

Well you should listen to your mother

arniepie (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 17:55
Roberts definitely off end of season

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 20:25
Well, kind of expected, but thats a gainline breaker gone & with Sloan broken thats two gainline breaking 12's gone. Tapuai is a nice decent player but he's not a match for the previous two. But has Roberts lived up to expectations? On occasions yes but on reflection those occasions are not a good enough return.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 23:26
Tapuai is a lot better than Sloan.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 14:51
Is there any conclusive evidence for Sloan having to retire because of his sereious injury. Surely if it was career ending we would have heard by now?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 15:53
It wasnt said that he was leaving as he was retiring, just that he was leaving.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net