rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Slightly OT: Pies and Pie Prices
Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 13:25
Our pies aren't bad - not great value, I'd suggest. But this chap has taken pie fancying to a different level:- Pierate

Quote:
Guardian Food
A cheap, factory-produced chicken balti pie may hit the spot on a freezing Saturday afternoon at the football, even if you would send the same pie back in a restaurant. But it is also true that, in the chippy, down the pub or at the match, such everyday pies are often poorly prepared and expensive.
Rob Spurling, a Wycombe Wanderers fan and part of the team at the review site pierate (which includes a dedicated football pie league), argues that, in his wide experience at away games, slipshod, profiteering catering firms are undermining that simple pleasure, the match-day pie: “I don’t mind a Pukka, if it’s cooked well, but football pies are generally not served at premium quality. Often, they’ve been heated for a long time and they’re dried out or burned, and paying £3.50 for a pie you could get for £1.50 at a takeaway seems overpriced.” Increasingly, Spurling finds himself drawn to “fancier, better value pies”. For instance, he rates Piglet’s Pantry, which supplies Brighton & Hove Albion, among others: “It might cost £4, but you’re getting a top pie.”

Our pies are a bit ore expensive than any of those.

Do you have a pie story or know where to get great pies?

Re: Slightly OT: Pies and Pie Prices
Cookie (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 13:34
The best pies out there are my mate AJ's, as found in the Sussex, amongst other places.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 13:46
Perhaps AJ can float some down the river Crane on match days...!

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 13:56
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Perhaps AJ can float some down the river Crane on match days...!

Well you certainly wouldn't float one from the pie stand.

BB

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 14:13
As a generalisation the food at The Stoop is expensive and of poor quality.

Yes, I know I have said this before, but nothing has happened to make me change my mind.

On match days I normally bring with me a bacon sandwich on wholemeal. The bread is buttered - well, Flora'd actually with plenty of brown sauce added.

BuckQuin (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 14:17
Quote:
QuickerQuin
Yes, I know I have said this before, but nothing has happened to make me change my mind.

On match days I normally bring with me a bacon sandwich on wholemeal. The bread is buttered - well, Flora'd actually with plenty of brown sauce added.

The new fish and chip stand at the Stoop is PROPER. Worth every penny.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 14:20
Quote:
BuckQuin
Quote:
QuickerQuin

Pies are also very good - and the new chicken burger place is great - really spicey and nice.

akb1 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 14:33
Sweeny and Todd in Reading do great pies [www.sweeneyandtodd.co.uk]

and if up in London the Windmill in Mayfair isn't bad - [www.windmillmayfair.co.uk]

DOK. (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 16:36
I don't mind the price of the pies, given they are good quality and the chips are nice. Of course you can bring your own food/drink, but it's a bit of a faff and anyway, I'm often not sure till I get to the Stoop whether I fancy some scoff or not. Of course it would also be cheaper if I brewed my own beer, but I don't.

johnlid (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 16:59
Quote:
BuckQuin
Quote:
QuickerQuin

No, it's not it's rubbish (telling everyone how good it actually is means that the queues will get even longer as the fish is first class)

T-Bone (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 17:51
Quote:
QuickerQuin

Agree. The Jolly Hog in particular is now dire. Guests I've brought to recent games have commented on how poor and expensive it is. Real shame. Sold out.

The pie place in the SW corner was pretty decent last season - not been this season.

ouch!_that_hurts (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 12:32
Get down to Sandy Park for a pasty - proper food, best washed down with a pint of ale

johnlid (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 12:54
Quote:
ouch!_that_hurts
Get down to Sandy Park for a pasty - proper food, best washed down with a pint of ale

Yes but won't it be a bit of a struggle to get back to the Stoop for the start of the game?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 13:39
You'll be needing fast food I reckon.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 15:51
Quote:
ouch!_that_hurts

four or five years ago, they were excellent - in the SW corner - but last time I was there they had gone up in price, shrunk and not as good as before - but still better than average.

BuckQuin (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 17:16
Never got the hype around pasties - is it only me who thinks they're just a much drier, less flavoursome version of a pie? And yes, I've tried them fresh in Cornwall. And yes, more than once. Might post this message on the Exeter board and see what they think... (Sm100)

Yareet (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 18:13
Quote:
BuckQuin
Never got the hype around pasties - is it only me who thinks they're just a much drier, less flavoursome version of a pie? And yes, I've tried them fresh in Cornwall. And yes, more than once. Might post this message on the Exeter board and see what they think... (Sm100)

That you try one in Devon, I’d guess

Rocker (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 22:48
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
QuickerQuin

Agree. The Jolly Hog in particular is now dire. Guests I've brought to recent games have commented on how poor and expensive it is. Real shame. Sold out.

The pie place in the SW corner was pretty decent last season - not been this season.

Yes agreed, £10 for no better than I can get in McDonald's for £5 is annoying. Even the fish and chips is good but expensive, we sometimes just go to the one in Whitton on the way home. I bought one of the pork burgers recently, nice but horrendously expensive.

johnlid (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 06:01
The chippie in Whitton is excellent

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 06:08
Quote:
johnlid
The chippie in Whitton is excellent

Is that Regan's?

johnlid (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 06:57
Can't remember the name, it's on the high street near the zebra crossing

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 08:49
Quote:
johnlid
Can't remember the name, it's on the high street near the zebra crossing

Different one.

Rocker (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 09:42
Mikki's is the one we go to. Almost opposite to Tesco

Mr_B (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 15:41
stopped going to the Jolly Hog, incredibly expensive but poor quality to what it once was, a real shame they have sold out. The master pie maker around the back is pretty good but £10 for pie, chips and a bottle of water is pretty steep. Dont buy food at the stoop much now because of the incredible cost.

johnlid (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 16:46
Quote:
Rocker
Mikki's is the one we go to. Almost opposite to Tesco

That's the one

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 16:49
Quote:
BuckQuin
Quote:
QuickerQuin

If you get there early, they tend to give you extra, or it seems so - there was a boat full last time I had one, so worth every penny pound...

T-Bone (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 16:58
Jolly Hog is now your classic smiley face but ripping you off brand, like innocent smoothies or pucinos coffee shop. Three brothers who tell no porkies. We're just three top guys and most of you know one of us as a previous player. We have a charming back story and would never rip you off like a big evil corporations who actually have competition. Sure the qwuality is better at Wetherspoons or MacDonalds, but they haven't stuck fake pigs ears onto their outlets. Here's a picture of a farmer so you feel better about eating cheap meat. Here's some words in squiggly font so you don't mint paying 10x over the odds.

DOK. (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 21:23
I never cared that the Jolly Hogg was expensive while the product was good. But I haven't eaten there in years. The pie shop is expensive, but good product. The fish and chips are excellent.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 17:21
After not eating anything at the ground for several years I decided to try the fish and chips at the game on Saturday. Some of you have recommended it on this thread and I can concur. I couldn't eat all the chips though. Later after the game and while watching England France in the members bar I happened to be lucky enough to get a free pie. The pastry had gone a bit hard in places by then but it was a very tasty "hot pot" pie I think.
I don't know how much it would have cost but I would have happily paid £4.50 or £5 with a few chips.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net