rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

OT - music during sport
blucherquin (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 14:38
Good piece this given the recent chat about the people (like me) who really dislike the amount of music played at HQ

[www.theguardian.com]

This is my favourite bit - about Sweet Caroline being played at Red Sox (and everywhere else)

“These days, the song’s a kind of order to be entertained, an injunction to act like you’re having a good time. Apparently Diamond never liked it anyway. Now millions of sports fans feel the same way.

The old salts at Fenway hate it. They say it’s an anthem for the “pink hat fans”, people who are happy to be at a show regardless of whether the team is winning or not. People, in short, who don’t really like sport. Or the target audience of the marketing department.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2018 14:39 by blucherquin.

Re: OT - music during sport
quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 14:50
They don't play any music at Twickenham, not sure what your on about here blucher?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 14:53
Quote:
quinsfan123
They don't play any music at Twickenham, not sure what your on about here blucher?

Huh?

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 14:57
Assume HQ refers to Twickers? Was surprised as Ive never heard them ever playing music at Try intervals. Maybe the channels of FaceBook and Twitter will be a better place to resume your ranting or the confines of McDonalds, Burger King et al for you Blucs.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 15:43
Quote:
quinsfan123
Assume HQ refers to Twickers? Was surprised as Ive never heard them ever playing music at Try intervals. Maybe the channels of FaceBook and Twitter will be a better place to resume your ranting or the confines of McDonalds, Burger King et al for you Blucs.

Ok sure.

Your definition of rant must be different to mine. I was just posting a sport and rugby related article for people to read if they want.

In fact I only wrote two short sentences - one says “this is quite good”, the other says “here’s my favourite bit”. Some bloke at the guardian wrote the rest. If that’s a rant you must find a note for the milkman a polemic.

They play music every time anyone scores, and at the beginning and the middle and the end - and set off fireworks etc.

There was a debate recently sparked by Will Carling and others about if it’s all gone too far.

But hey - you don’t have to read it. But you do seem compelled to post about it.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 16:11
Quote:
quinsfan123

They play Tom flippin' Hark at every opportunity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2018 16:49 by DOK.

Dave L (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 16:43
Sweet Caroline has become the go to “be entertained, having a good time” song. Personally it is one of my least favourite songs!

Well timed music is one thing but we seem to have overkill at HQ and overkill of volume of music at the stoop these days.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 21:08
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
quinsfan123

Ok sure.

Your definition of rant must be different to mine. I was just posting a sport and rugby related article for people to read if they want.

In fact I only wrote two short sentences - one says “this is quite good”, the other says “here’s my favourite bit”. Some bloke at the guardian wrote the rest. If that’s a rant you must find a note for the milkman a polemic.

They play music every time anyone scores, and at the beginning and the middle and the end - and set off fireworks etc.

There was a debate recently sparked by Will Carling and others about if it’s all gone too far.

But hey - you don’t have to read it. But you do seem compelled to post about it.

Come on Blucher this a bloggers page for rugby related material not for discussing when music should and shouldn't be played cant you do that somewhere else?

DOK. (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 21:10
Hence the more observant on here would have spotted the OT on the OP!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 21:22
Quote:
quinsfan123
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
quinsfan123

Ok sure.

Come on Blucher this a bloggers page for rugby related material not for discussing when music should and shouldn't be played cant you do that somewhere else?

Not sure where to start. It’s marked OT.

It was a big debate in rugby last year.

Telegraph, rugby world, and many others ran pieces about music at Twickenham England rugby games and if it’s a good or bad thing.

If you think this thread is irrelevant to a rugby forum then you must have missed a lot of others on here!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2018 21:50 by blucherquin.

thomh (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 23:35
The first time I'd seen sweet caroline at Twickenham was the World Cup opening ceremony, before the TV coverage started, to warm the crowd up. The whole stadium did a sweet caroline singalong followed by Jerusalem - the latter being sung by 82,000 was an unbelievable moment. Sweet Caroline seems to have been picked up as the Twickenham song of choice for half time as a result of that, though obviously has been common in sport generally for some time.

Personally I enjoy the occasional music after England tries - but playing something after every single score is grating.

never sleep (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 08:35
The one thing that I always feel is wrong when playing music at the Stoop is that we only play music when Quins score and it is quiet when the visitors score.
Now, I know that this potentially gives a home ground advantage.
But, I'm not sure that it really does.
Also, I like to see a good try being scored even if it is being scored by the visitors. Surely, there should be music played then?

(blucherquin - as for the O/T debate, there seems to be a few posters taking (groundless) exception to your posts recently - did you do something in someone's cornflakes recently?)

blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 08:53
Never sleep -in answer to your final point....lord knows...

But here’s the thing I find interesting on the original debate - football, for all some rugby fans like to judge sometimes, doesn’t feel the need to blast out music when a goal is scored - the crowd is everything.

So are rugby crowds lacking passion? (Discuss)

Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 09:00
Recently Seeet Caroline has been switched from the start of second half to after full time with Hey Jude. Fans walking down the stairs (after a win like England Wales) where shouting out the tune with joy. What on earth is wrong with that ?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 09:14
I wasn’t really focusing on Sweet Caroline so much as why we need to be told when to be excited - if that’s how you see it.

Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 10:09
At Twickenham Stadium now preping for the NATWEST Schools cup finals first KO 11:00. 5000 expected. We’ve been advised that Sweet Caroline will be played. :@)

T-Bone (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 11:06
I find the use of an overly shrill pop/opera crossover signer to sign the anthem more annoyin than the music after scores. For some reason they always feel the need to go up an octave on the last word. It is awful, and completely unnecessary. I understand having it for the visiting team whose fans might not be numerous enough to belot out their anthem (though that certainly doesn't apply to our Celtic friends), but the Twickenham crowd is more than capable of signing the anthem without Laura Wright or FMR drowning them out.

I don't mind the music after tries quite so much, but find the music after penalties and cvonversaions annoying for some reason

berksmenxxx (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 11:18
I have stopped going to the Anniversary games for this very reason. As soon as an event is over there is ear splitting music played. It is then impossible to talk to the guy next to you about what you have just seen or are about to see.

For some reason the people in charge of some events think that we all need loud music blasted at us to feel entertained, they cannot grasp that to sports fans the SPORT is what they find entertaining!

14 March, 2018 12:15
Something that is really annoying me at the minute (rant coming), is that since the back of the North Stand was developed, the bars have been playing loud and shtty dance music during the game. Loud enough to be distracting.

Personally I think it’s a bit disrespectful of the players on the pitch and the supporters trying to watch the game...... or am I being an old fart like the rest of you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2018 12:16 by DOK.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 13:09
Quote:
Granite Beard Thundercock
Something that is really annoying me at the minute (rant coming), is that since the back of the North Stand was developed, the bars have been playing loud and shtty dance music during the game. Loud enough to be distracting.
Personally I think it’s a bit disrespectful of the players on the pitch and the supporters trying to watch the game...... or am I being an old fart like the rest of you?

Steady - some of us are just farts.

As I said, they don’t drown out football matches with music - so just interested why rugby felt the need to do it?

Presumably at HQ it’s to wake everyone up and for 60% of the crowd they won’t know what a try is so it’s useful to have something to help them follow the action....

Boonie (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 10:49
Once upon a time, the music really was part of the matchday experience. Playing "Montagues and Capulets" before Quins/Wasps games. Playing "Combine Harvester" when Glaws visited. Stuff like that was a bit insulting, but was all part of the fun - unless of course we got a tonking!

It seems to have become part and parcel of it now, sadly, and the lack of creativity is also disappointing. I mean, playing House of Pain's Jump Around when a try is scored makes much more sense than some of the other nonsense that comes out of the speakers.

Is it necessary, though? No, probably not. Can we do anything about it? No, probably not.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

never sleep (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 10:54
I know that this is probably not a popular view - but, I miss the playing of "So Long, Farewell" when someone received a yellow card.
It used to make me giggle.

DOK. (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 11:42
Careful - you'll be wishing for Mad Max before you know it.
Kevin looking after the stewarding.
Amusing music to greet the teams.
Ah, happy days!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 15:14
Quote:
DOK
Careful - you'll be wishing for Mad Max before you know it.
Kevin looking after the stewarding.
Amusing music to greet the teams.
Ah, happy days!

And the LV Girls.....(come on #metoo)

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 09:22
I preferred "These boots are made for walking"....

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Boonie (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 13:21
Quote:
blucherquin

And the LV Girls.....(come on #metoo)

The Columbinas, please!

Or maybe even Harley's Angels!

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

Mancquin (IP Logged)
22 March, 2018 12:31
My least favourite Mad Max Moment was the one and only (thanks ) occasion when he played a set of drums right in front of the East stand. When Quins went on a rumble he started bashing away. Do drums count as music though?
Reminds me of the old joke. Question :" What do you call a person who hangs out with musicians?
Answer A drummer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net