rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Winston Stanley announces immediate retirement
Linkinquin (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 12:12
From the offy

Farewell Winston

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/03/2018 12:20 by Linkinquin.

Re: Winston Stanley announces immediate retirement
WellingQuin (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 12:16
Must admit I didn't really think he was a good enough centre for us, but still not nice seeing that he's been forced into early retirement on medical grounds.

All the best for the future Winston.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 12:34
Didn't know he was injured. What's the injury? Sad for him. Good luck in retirement

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 12:36
expected him to be released at the end of season but sad to be forced into retirement

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 12:52
The Quins centre curse continues.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 14:23
Quote:
RodneyRegis
The Quins centre curse continues.

Centre's cure obviously needed...

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 15:16
Will need another centre before next season. Saili, Marchant, Cheeseman, Tapuai and Lang looks a bit light.

BuckQuin (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 15:48
Quote:
quinsfan123
Will need another centre before next season. Saili, Marchant, Cheeseman, Tapuai and Lang looks a bit light.

Don't forget those who can "shift inside" - Alofa the obvious one, but Charlie Walker has been known to cover 13 too (not saying I particularly love that option - start him on the wing please). Think there might be a couple of academy guys too...

I'm pretty happy with that selection. Lots of different options for different styles of play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/03/2018 15:49 by BuckQuin.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 16:12
I have a feeling that Lang is going to end up as our "Utility Back" at this rate. He's a capable FH & has played centre and FB for us as well this season. My concern is that he'll get shuffled around between the positions so much that we never see him really have enough time to settle into a single position long enough to make as large an impression as he's capable of. I still think he's the makings of a good player on him, just concerned we may not get the best out of him if we move him around too much.

RocQuin (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 16:22
As has been said already, its always sad to see any player forced to give up the game for health reasons, so good luck to him in whatever he chooses to do in the future.

I think it is difficult to judge his playing strengths (at Quins) as he has never had a chance to show what he can do on a regular basis.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 17:03
I think it is difficult to judge my playing strengths (at Quins) as I have never had a chance to show what I can do on a regular basis.

You Shall Not Pass (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 18:16
Quote:
RodneyRegis
I think it is difficult to judge my playing strengths (at Quins) as I have never had a chance to show what I can do on a regular basis.

Very modest of you RR, but I would still back you to throw lineouts better than we've been seeing of late. :-)

DOK (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 18:54
"wish him and his family all the very best going forward" - indeed!

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 19:17
Still think we're missing a proper old fashioned beast in the centres though.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 19:19
Quote:
DOK
"wish him and his family all the very best going forward" - indeed!

If anyone spots a Quins player going forward let the coaches know the tactics are finally working

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 22:52
Thinking of the Quins Centres curse, just how many are there? I've been around since 2004, memory fading fast but, Stuart Abbott, Hal Luscombe, De wet Barry, Ollie Smith, George Lowe, Jordan Turner Hall, Harry Sloan, Winston Stanley, & even Francis Sailli has encountered the curse too. Any more? Obviously tough one for Winston who sounds a really good guy.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 12:34
The curse is early retirement, not putting your head on the wrong side in the tackle. Otherwise you can add Tiesi.

Rocker (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 12:48
Perhaps the injury(injuries?) are went he never had much of an impact? Anyway, sad to see a player having to retire early. All the best to him and his family for the future.

gregory p (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 12:43
I cursed Matt Hopper a few times.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 16:06
Quote:
RodneyRegis

That'll be the high fibre diet I'm guessing?

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

mccc (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 22:33
We had a world class one and you all wanted him out

akb1 (IP Logged)
22 March, 2018 07:43
All?

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
22 March, 2018 08:43
I don't even know what that's a reference to.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
22 March, 2018 08:52
I thought 1 was a prop?

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
22 March, 2018 09:35
We all know now why he never reached his potential as he had a career ending injury. We didn't know this so judged him on his few appearances which were average at best. This now seems a little unfair on hearing this news. However, hindsigh as they say....

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
22 March, 2018 09:45
It's always sad when a professional has to end their chosen career through circumstance rather than choice.

Good luck Winston, thanks for your hard work.

poorfour (IP Logged)
24 March, 2018 10:41
Always sad to hear. From the tone of JKs comments, I wonder if he ever played for us fully fit. We sat next to him at the pre-season dinner and he seemed a decent bloke. Its a shame we never really got to see what he could do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net