rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

A League
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 12:41
HARLEQUINS A NAME SQUAD FOR BATH UNITED CLASH
Monday, 26th March 2018 @ 12:45

HARLEQUINS HAVE NAMED THEIR 23 MAN SQUAD TO FACE BATH UNITED TONIGHT AT THE REC IN THE PREMIERSHIP RUGBY A LEAGUE (KICK-OFF 19:30).

Charlie Piper captains the side at openside flanker, in a back row which includes Stan South and Archie White. Cameron Holenstein, Max Crumpton and Phil Swainston start in the front row, with Josh Ibuanokpe and John Okafor completing the tight five.

In the backs, there is a return to action for Tim Swiel at fullback, while Ross Chisholm and Gabriel Ibitoye also feature in the back three.

Henry Cheeseman and Harry Sloan form the centre partnership, with Calum Waters and James Lang the starting half-backs.

In the replacements, Dave Ward will cover hooker while there is a place for Elite Player Development Group (EPDG) member Jack Kenningham, whose recent last minute try saw Harlequins defeat Sale Sharks in the Premiership Rugby Academy Finals Day.

Harlequins A

15. Tim Swiel
14. Gabriel Ibitoye
13. Harry Sloan
12. Henry Cheeseman
11. Ross Chisholm
10. James Lang
9. Calum Waters

1. Cameron Holenstein
2. Max Crumpton
3. Phil Swainston
4. Josh Ibuanokpe
5. John Okafor
6. Stan South
7. Charlie Piper (c)
8. Archie White

16. Dave Ward
17. George Head
18. Josh McNulty
19. Jack Kenningham (EPDG)
20. Cadan Murley
21. Niall Saunders
22. Jake Hennessey
23. Max Coyle

Bath United

15. Darren Atkins
14. Jack Wilson
13. Max Clark
12. Ben Tapuai
11. Jeff Williams
10. Rhys Priestland
9. Will Homer

1. Nick Auterac
2. Jack Walker
3. Jack Edmondson
4. Levi Douglas
5. Luke Charteris
6. Rhys Davies
7. Josh Bayliss (c)
8. Paul Grant

16. Michael van Vuuren
17. Will Vaughan
18. Si Elrick
19. Oli Cattell
20. Sam Elrick
21. Max Green
22. Max Wright
23. Harry Davies

Exciting set of backs for us. The pack made me chuckle, no shortage of "lump" and "grunt" there. Feel sorry for whoever has to lift Ibuanopke!!!

Re: A League
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 12:43
Interesting selection. Good to see Swiel and Sloan back playing. Big Josh at lock??!! As you say, pity the three players who try to lift him!

As I recall, Bath live stream their A games; or am I confusing them with another club?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 12:50
He actually played there against Sarries earlier in the season, and by all accounts was here there and everywhere. He may be a TH but he seems very mobile for such a large unit. Bit of bash in the centres also.

Good to see Crumpton is fit, as when he joined I think it was mentioned he had been recovering from injury

I think you may be right about the streaming of games, although not sure if it is every game.

The Quin Meister (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 12:55
Yikes! Big Josh at lock?! Interesting. Good to see Swiel and Okafor back in the mix. I would really likes to have seen this game.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 12:58
Interesting match up between Tapuai and Cheeseman as I'm guessing they'll both be vying for the 12 shirt next season

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 13:11
I was thinking about our centres on saturday when Roberts went off. Marchant at 13. Tapuai and Salil at 12 or 13 and Cheeseman/Lang at 12. I think that is a nice mix there. We have pace, we have bulk, we have skill and we have a kicking option. I know Salli is not the size of Roberts but he looks a really well put together bloke, bet there is some power there.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 14:07
Quote:
HonkyTonk
I was thinking about our centres on saturday when Roberts went off. Marchant at 13. Tapuai and Salil at 12 or 13 and Cheeseman/Lang at 12. I think that is a nice mix there...

Ditto me funny enough. Adding Alofa into the mix there's a group of centres that can be mixed and matched across 12/13 with speed brain and brawn as well as covering 10, 11 and 14, which I wonder if that was what JK was after and perhaps being the reason why Roberts and Sloan were let go ie both really 12s and that's it.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 15:14
I thought that Sloan offered a fair bit when he was fit a few season's ago. Shame he's going, if true, but does seem to be a bit injury-prone.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 17:18
I think Big Josh was an 8 up until his final year of school when he moved to tighthead.

Samquin (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 19:01
Is there a live stream of the match?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2018 19:02 by Samquin.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 19:32
If big Josh can cover 9 and 10 then we must have the most complete player ever. If the French can have a large prop sized centre can we try it as well. I like the look of him when I've seen him play.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 20:02
Quote:
Samquin
Is there a live stream of the match?

Anybody?

Seems not as Facebook says to follow updates on Twitter...

Shame, Bath definitely used to.

Samquin (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 20:13
Half time Bath leading 12-7

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 20:48
Winning by 2 with 5 mins left. Quite an effort.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 20:51
79' | TRY - Murley goes through the gap and crosses the whitewash. [19-28]

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 20:52
Murley jut scored, 19-28 BP win. that is some win against that Bath team

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 20:55
Excellent result against a very strong team. Would be good to hear from anyone who was there, how individual players performed. There was a mention that Sloan was defending very well.

Stoopendous (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 21:04
Congratulations to all involved. Some effort there. Really wish I could have got down to The Rec. Any chance at all of a highlights reel?

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 21:05
Good win 👍

The Quin Meister (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 21:50
Brilliant win lads. I thought Bath's quality at lock would be too much, especially with several Quins players having to play out of position. BP aswell - a good night's work boys! I would be interested to know how Okafor fronted up. First game for a while I think?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 07:34
According to the bath board we played well, esp Swiel. We looked dangerous.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 08:42
I'm interested to know how Holenstein played. We haven't seen much of him, and I think it was his first start.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 09:34
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
I think Big Josh was an 8 up until his final year of school when he moved to tighthead.

No, other away around. Was a TH (for Quins and England age grade rugby) but quite often played 8 for Dulwich. 1st saw him around U15 age group for Dulwich, might well have been his 1st game! came on at HT at TH, obviously not much clue on what to do but had bags of power and explosive carrier

fandg2 (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 09:46
Match report pretty much as it was

[www.quins.co.uk]

Bath started the better of the two sides and at one stage thought they were just going to overpower us, but the lads stuck to it and started to get a toe hold in the game midway through the 1st half. Only thing letting us down was the lineout. Mainly due to 8 players not getting the choregraphy right although there were a couple of not straights. Got to the stage that on penalties we took scrums instead of the kick for touch. Scrum pretty solid all game and the lineout started to function in the 2nd half as well. Key was the the try before halftime following some sustained pressure, gave the lads some confidance that they could beat the Bath side. Okfor put in some 'Lawes' type tackles was noticable, good team effort and was certainly a 'buzz' about the side

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 14:47
Quins tries

[www.youtube.com]

T-Bone (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 15:09
Very good result considering they were away, against a strong team, and with quite a few players out of position. Well done all.

southquin (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 16:20
ibitoye appears to have been sprayed with some sort of friction free coating which means he can only be tackled head on

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 21:34
Good work! Nothing to do with our current coaching set up at all of course.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

New Forest Quin (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 22:07
Quote:
Scaramouche

I believe that Tom Williams has the responsibility for the A League Team. Hopefully, at some stage, Tom will get the opportunity as a DoR.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 23:20
Well, perhaps the A team should play Irish in 10 days time...(Sm100)

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 23:38
Quote:
New Forest Quin
Quote:
Scaramouche

I believe that Tom Williams has the responsibility for the A League Team. Hopefully, at some stage, Tom will get the opportunity as a DoR.

Apparently all coaches come under the jurisdiction of JK, and he is ultimately responsible. Apparently.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
28 March, 2018 07:43
Quote:
Scaramouche

Oh dear. Please stop.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
28 March, 2018 08:24
Quote:
New Forest Quin
Quote:
Scaramouche

Funny enough he was the one coach I didn't notice on Monday night. JK, Tofty, CO, Minty, Snapper and Dippy were all sitting behind me. Adam Jones seemed to be doing the honours.
Also notice Neal Hatley there as well

T-Bone (IP Logged)
28 March, 2018 12:55
Much as I am very pleased we won an A league game against what was on paper a much better team, I'm not sure how that can be used as evidence that our coaches are doing a good job with the first team.

But if you like then fine, JK is ultimately responsible for this one win in the A league, and so ultimately responsible for all of the losses this season. Or does he get credit for this win but somehow avoid criticism for all the losses under his watch in the Premiership?

InsertQuinsPunHere (IP Logged)
28 March, 2018 13:10
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Well, perhaps the A team should play Irish in 10 days time...(Sm100)

Yup, do it... wouldn't be so cosy then!

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 March, 2018 13:41
Quote:
T-Bone
Much as I am very pleased we won an A league game against what was on paper a much better team, I'm not sure how that can be used as evidence that our coaches are doing a good job with the first team.
But if you like then fine, JK is ultimately responsible for this one win in the A league, and so ultimately responsible for all of the losses this season. Or does he get credit for this win but somehow avoid criticism for all the losses under his watch in the Premiership?

I think the point being made is that he gets criticism for pretty much everything, but rarely gets any praise.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
28 March, 2018 13:49
Groundhog Thread.

BB

T-Bone (IP Logged)
28 March, 2018 13:58
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
T-Bone

I think the point being made is that he gets criticism for pretty much everything, but rarely gets any praise.

Fair enough. Happy to congraulate all involved in the A league win. Players, coaches, etc

fandg2 (IP Logged)
28 March, 2018 18:00
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Groundhog Thread.

Took me a while, but yes most threads seem to end up slagging off (or not) the coaching team lol. Makes me wonder whether its worth starting a sweep to see how many post can be made on any topic before the coaches get a mention

fandg2 (IP Logged)
28 March, 2018 18:28
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
HonkyTonk
I was thinking about our centres on saturday when Roberts went off. Marchant at 13. Tapuai and Salil at 12 or 13 and Cheeseman/Lang at 12. I think that is a nice mix there...

Ditto me funny enough. Adding Alofa into the mix there's a group of centres that can be mixed and matched across 12/13 with speed brain and brawn as well as covering 10, 11 and 14, which I wonder if that was what JK was after and perhaps being the reason why Roberts and Sloan were let go ie both really 12s and that's it.

As an aside from the match I noticed Tapuai played 10 for the whole 2nd half. Talking to one of the bath supporters after the match he's not really a 10 (got the impression a bit like Marchant) but worth noting anyway.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 March, 2018 22:27
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
HonkyTonk

As an aside from the match I noticed Tapuai played 10 for the whole 2nd half. Talking to one of the bath supporters after the match he's not really a 10 (got the impression a bit like Marchant) but worth noting anyway.

fandg2,

On a completely different note, since you seem to be more au fait with the A team than anyway, may I pick your brains? I recall seeing a guy play flanker for the A team (possibly as a guest player) named Victor Keunan. Was he ever signed to us? Do you know where he's playing these days? Seemed useful, barring the fact that he was quite small for a back row player.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 08:58
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
HonkyTonk

fandg2,

On a completely different note, since you seem to be more au fait with the A team than anyway, may I pick your brains? I recall seeing a guy play flanker for the A team (possibly as a guest player) named Victor Keunan. Was he ever signed to us? Do you know where he's playing these days? Seemed useful, barring the fact that he was quite small for a back row player.

Hi, No Victor was never signed for I believe the reason's you stated (small for backrow) still guest's in the A league (think I've seen him earlier this season but can't be bothered to check) but now plying his trade for Loughbourgh Students I believe

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 19:13
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
HonkyTonk

fandg2,

Hi, No Victor was never signed for I believe the reason's you stated (small for backrow) still guest's in the A league (think I've seen him earlier this season but can't be bothered to check) but now plying his trade for Loughbourgh Students I believe

Interesting player. Not short of endeavour or ability; sad that he's deemed too small. Very clever player as I recall.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 19:27
I think he has turned out for Tigers A Team also

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net