rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

OT Munster wonder try
Kent Fan (IP Logged)
01 April, 2018 08:34
With all the referrals to the TMO for all the various incidents no check on the last Munster try when he I was very close to the touch line.

No mention from Munster lover Barnes or ex player Quinlan.

Maybe Nigel was fed up.

Re: OT Munster wonder try
Dave L (IP Logged)
01 April, 2018 08:43
Quote:
Kent Fan
With all the referrals to the TMO for all the various incidents no check on the last Munster try when he I was very close to the touch line.
No mention from Munster lover Barnes or ex player Quinlan.

Maybe Nigel was fed up.

Think the touch judge was only a few years away but even so it was so close. O’Mahony royally got away a hand of back type affair shortly before that.

Anyway, even if he was in touch you know, luck of the Irish, magic of Thomond, Munster deserve to be in the semis of the European cup every year because of the wonderful fans etc etc etc. I listened with the sound off as soon as it’s Barnes or Quinlan because all you’ll get from then on is a Munster love in.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
01 April, 2018 11:18
Sky went one better than normal by having moody slow mo replays of random Munster action during the match, including players touching the badge on the way onto the pitch, etc. Add in Barnes' attempt to praise Nigel Owens for every single decision, and his exhorting of Quinlan to "get on the pitch and push", and it's clear Sky have abandoned whatever thin pretence of neutrality they once had when it comes to the Irish sides.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
01 April, 2018 12:16
Disproportionate amount of time reviewing the Munster try after dismissing Zebo “deliberate” knock out for the Toulon attempt in the first minute.

Also touch missed Mahoney’s deliberate kick out the scrum late on in second half....what was he watching?

No wonder French sides get *issed off.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
01 April, 2018 13:20
Well, considering that Sky are losing the European Cup rights, and have apparently lost the Pro14 rights to Premier Sports, all they'll be left with are Top14 & Super Rugby at club/region level. I'd guess they pull out of the game apart from Internationals/Lions soon...

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
01 April, 2018 17:09
Is anyone else worried that there’s 3 celtic sides in the semi’s?

Have they found a way to avoid playing their strongest teams in the Propub again and still qualify for the Champions Cup?

Need to check some appearance stats, me thinks!!!

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
01 April, 2018 17:32
Well yes, their players have all been heavily rested. If that's what they want to do then so be it, regardless of whether it brings league success or not. Having your best players available for the big games seems sane to me.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
02 April, 2018 08:38
Apart from premiership players playing more games there is a greater concentration of quality in some of the competing teams....shows what a fantastic effort for Sarries to win twice.

Teams have their cycle but can’t see many premiership teams winning the champions cup regularly in the future. Maybe Chiefs will have the depth and skill next year but Quins seem a million miles away.

coolbawn (IP Logged)
02 April, 2018 11:45
As an Irish fan, it's worth saying that the Sky love-in that you describe doesn't sit at all comfortably with Irish fans either ! It would certainly be good to eliminate the homo-erotic slo-mos. And yes, Munster got away with the kick in the scrum and why aren't there protocols between the ref and touch judges to ensure that - between them - they are observing everything.

Having said that, I wouldn't be alone to think that Quinlan is actually pretty tough on Munster. Yes, he talks about Munster because he knows about them in great detail; it's important to have a team of commentators who know more than the trite headlines about all players in both teams. But he appears to know that he has to be fair so his default position is actually to assume that Munster have erred.

More important, did you actually admire Conway's try ?! Screenshots show that Conway didn't have his foot in touch. As he was stationary at the time, presumably the TMO checked it quickly and reported that it wasn't an issue.

As for that old chestnut about it being unfair to rest players, the IRFU remit is (something like) to facilitate as many Irish players as possible to play successful rugby at as high a level as possible. They have to get the financial balance right. So they have academies feeding through to quite large, young, squads of players who aren't played too often and who therefore do get chances to play quite often at the level which is suitable for them at the time. Demographics and TV deals mean that they don't get paid a fortune but the IRFU can keep them in Ireland because that's the only way they can play for Ireland and because they don't get flogged. Can you honestly criticize and moan about that ?!

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
02 April, 2018 12:04
I think Quinlan can be pretty fair. My problem is you have a set of cheerleaders for Irish rugby in the Sky commentary team (and it's a weird phenomenon that I think is down to Munster's "story" back when they were trying to win it for the first time) with additional ex-Irish players, so the whole thing sounds like it's meant to be the home support for the Irish side.

Add in Barnes' obsession with praising Nigel Owens to the hilt, as if he's the best ref in the world and not actually the deeply average mistake machine he's been for a few years now, and it makes for a pretty insufferable experience.

But no, not Quinlan's fault for sure.

coolbawn (IP Logged)
02 April, 2018 12:22
Partially agreed Jammy Git. I've been glad that Sky have covered the Pro14 recently and Barnes is not all bad but it is strange that the Sky producer / editor doesn't get them all to tone down the love-in. I imagine they have all spent quite a few very enjoyable social evenings in Munster over the years !

T-Bone (IP Logged)
03 April, 2018 10:12
Frustrating as it is as a supporter of the England team and an English club team that the Irish players get rested a lot more, I don;t see it as any reason to criticise the Irish set up. They got central contracts in, the RFU failed to, so Irish rugby reaps the rewards.

Balanced out I suppose my grater player pool in England.

Conway try was a pretty great finish, aided obviously by another Tin-Duck howler and a dreadful chase.

Think Owens has had a couple of iffy games recently by his standards, but can't blame him for poor composure at the end opf the game by Toulon.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
04 April, 2018 08:05
Coolbawn Conway’s try was spectacular and he took the opportunity very well. The Toulon players definitely switched off when Tran-Duc got the ball in his hands and shaped to kick the ball into row z.

Even if the touch judge was close to him it should still have been reviewed given the amount of referrals for other incidents...so a lack of consistency. In some matches the TMO suggests the ref takes a look a events. In this game maybe by choice from Nigel Owens this didn’t seem to happen.

The TMO must be watching the same pictures as the tv so must have seen O’Mahony’s Kick through the scrum near the end. Nigel's style for the most part is to lean towards keeping the game flowing so he allows the ball to be slowed up if players release when he barks at them rather than penalising them. This I think is giving players encouragement to push the limits. Personally I would like him to be tougher at the start of the game to set higher standards.

The communication between Nigel and the TMO was poor as it can be in some games and for Murray’s try muddled and misinterpreted.

I just think that the near the end of the game officials sub consciously or consciously wanted to finish it as quickly as possible.....I hope not but tv timetable for the following broadcasts may have been a factor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net