Gray -
Aspland Robinson - Tigers

IN

Symons -Wasps

And the rumour we were after a winger after missing out on Cuthbert

Re: Players IN - Players OUT (So far)
blucherquin (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 11:24
Letís not forget those other new signings...

Renaldo Bothma
Francis Saili
Demetri Catrakilis

I donít count them as being here this year

Cookie (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 15:33
Will Greenwood from Leicester.

Toast (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 15:45
Thought Matthews was off not Twomey?

Candelamaria (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 16:22
I heared both Matthews and Twomey were off

Fursty (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 16:44
Quote:
Cookie

Cookie you're not allowed to make jokes until the thread is 48 hours old.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 16:53
Matthews and Twomey (I forgot Matthews actually)

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 17:01
Where to Twomey? Or has the injured foot meant retirement?

Bucksquin (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 18:44
Wasn't Twomey on Eddie Jones' radar a few months back, or was that another second row ...?

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 21:14
Quote:
Bucksquin
Wasn't Twomey on Eddie Jones' radar a few months back, or was that another second row ...?

Merrick was name checked.

Cookie (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 22:39
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
Cookie

Cookie you're not allowed to make jokes until the thread is 48 hours old.

Seriously? Good grief. The punts are a sore bunch.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 22:54
I'd say you're not allowed to make jokes unless they're funny. That one was a stinker!

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 23:10
I was hoping maybe Cookie had misspelled Evans.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 10:25
If Twomey and Matthews leave, even if we bring in Symons we're definitely a lock short.

Otherwise there are some decent players coming in, and I certainly don't think the squad will be weaker next season.

But it's also not a dramatic enough increase in talent to pull us in the right direction on player ability alone. Unfortunately, with the current setup, that seems to be all we'll be able to rely on.

oakhaven (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 10:32
Quote:
talkshowhost86
If Twomey and Matthews leave, even if we bring in Symons we're definitely a lock short.

If Dombrandt is as good as his potential suggests it might be, he and Symons should be more than enough to cover Matthews and Twomey. Unless you mean we're already a lock short as things currently stand?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 11:01
Quote:
oakhaven
Quote:
talkshowhost86

If Dombrandt is as good as his potential suggests it might be, he and Symons should be more than enough to cover Matthews and Twomey. Unless you mean we're already a lock short as things currently stand?

Yeah not sure weíre short are we?

Horwill and Symons or Merrick if he regains his fitness and previous form

Current

Horwill
South
Merrick
Twomey
Glynn
Matthews

Possible

Horwill
Symons
Merrick
Dombrandt
Glynn
South

06 April, 2018 11:01
Quote:
oakhaven
Quote:
talkshowhost86

I think Dombrandt is far too inexperienced to be relied upon as cover for the Premiership. Hopefully he'll develop quickly and that would give us an extra option, but he hasn't played at anything near the top level yet so expecting too much of him is risky.

With Twomey effectively having been out for the season I think we have been a lock short this season, and we're certainly short of quality in that area.

06 April, 2018 11:12
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
oakhaven
Quote:
talkshowhost86

Yeah not sure weíre short are we?

Horwill and Symons or Merrick if he regains his fitness and previous form

Current

Horwill
South
Merrick
Twomey
Glynn
Matthews

Possible

Horwill
Symons
Merrick
Dombrandt
Glynn
South

You're probably right that in terms of numbers we're probably okay.

In terms of quality, I'm not sure how many other Premiership teams would be looking enviously at that selection of locks.

Horwill is obviously quality, although he has missed quite a few games this season. I don't know a lot about Symons but others have suggested he'll give us another abrasive option at lock which we desperately need. For me Merrick hasn't really kicked on this season, and I think if he doesn't push on soon I'll be concerned that, like Matthews, he won't fulfil his potential.

As for the others, I've already said that it's too early to rely on Dombrandt, and I'm yet to be convinced by South (albeit he definitely has time on his side). Finally, whilst Glynn will rarely let you down, we all know his limitations and I don't think many sides with supposed ambitions of top four would want him to play too many minutes.

Just my opinion, but I think it's an area we've been weak in for a while.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 11:29
Got Dino Lamb also. I thought South had a really good game at Tigers. Dare I say this but....Is Horwill playing as well as he was when he first come over??? Just not sure he is having the same impact. I think Lock is a weak area for us in terms of real quality.

Fursty (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 11:33
I agree that our 2nd row options aren't the best in the league, however I'm not sure that our 2nd row options have had much to do with our consistent ability to ship 30 plus points. There has been the odd game where we've been beaten up - Newcastle at home comes to mind - but more often that not we've done ok around the breakdown.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 11:36
Dombrandt clearly has potential, but then so did Twomey, so does South and so does Okafor. Horwill and Merrick with South/Dombrandt/Glynn as back up is not ideal.

Has the Symons signing been confirmed?

If we're letting three second rows go and bringing in one with potential and one with experience but who hasn't been playing much recently (I believe), I'd say that's slightly concerning.

All seems to have gone a bit quiet on the rumoured departures and Symons.

as for the others ins and outs, I'd say we will be no weaker but not noticeably stronger either.

Not sure what amazing form Merrick is supposed to be regaining. He's had a few decent games for us, never a sustained period of top quality performances. Basically the same as the much maligned Matthews, though Matthews has, in my opinion, had for more good games than Merrick.

Our second row options are pretty weak really. I'm sure they're all lovely blokes, but not a group of players most other clubs in the premiership would be envious of. It's a shame, as Matthews, Twomey and Merrick all looked like they had great potential.

Seems a shame to be letting Okafor and Aspland-Robinson go too, as it sounded like they also had good potential.

I guess we have plenty of young back 3 options, and presumably they see Ibitoye and Mikalcius as having more potential, as the same with Dombrandt vs Okafor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2018 11:56 by T-Bone.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 12:19
So lots of potential then.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 12:48
Same ####, different season.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 15:56
Quote:
T-Bone
....and presumably they see Ibitoye and Mikalcius

Not sure I'd be considering Mikalcius being around next season. I hope he is but any injury that keeps a player out for a whole season is pretty much curtains for the player. Yes there are some but not many. Any one seen him running around down at the training ground?

raedarius (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 16:00
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
T-Bone

Not sure I'd be considering Mikalcius being around next season. I hope he is but any injury that keeps a player out for a whole season is pretty much curtains for the player. Yes there are some but not many. Any one seen him running around down at the training ground?

He moved from the Academy to the main squad mid season, so I suspect that he'll be available.

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 16:30
Don't forget that Glynn was brought in to cover for Twomey's injury so if Twomey leaves - we already have his replacement.

Also the squad was made up of:
Horwill
Twomey (Glynn)
Merrick
Matthews
South

so next season will be
Horwill
Glynn
Merrick
Symonds
South
Dombrandt

SO we have more players....Dombrandt must be an academy signing though?

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 16:55
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Got Dino Lamb also. I thought South had a really good game at Tigers. Dare I say this but....Is Horwill playing as well as he was when he first come over??? Just not sure he is having the same impact. I think Lock is a weak area for us in terms of real quality.

Completely disagree Horwill is monumentous in second row just needs the support of others. Did you not see his try against Saracens...? Brushed off Vunipola and Kruis to score by himslef.

As for the second row situation I think itís a shame to lose Okafor as can see him becoming really good. Quins should think twice before letting a young second row with potential through the net. I think Launchers and Kruis turned out alright in the end?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 16:59
Horwill is becoming increasingly injury prone though, and if Matthews goes then presumably 100% of lineout ball will he called to him

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 17:18
Quote:
quinsfan123
Quote:
HonkyTonk

Completely disagree Horwill is monumentous in second row just needs the support of others. Did you not see his try against Saracens...? Brushed off Vunipola and Kruis to score by himslef.

As for the second row situation I think itís a shame to lose Okafor as can see him becoming really good. Quins should think twice before letting a young second row with potential through the net. I think Launchers and Kruis turned out alright in the end?

I saw it. I wasn't talking about his try scoring ability!! I just think, that as good as he is (our best second row by a mile) does that say more about the rest of them rather than how well he is playing. Maybe its possible he is having to do too much work?

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 18:56
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
T-Bone

I'd say coming back from a season-long injury isn't all that rare these days. It really depends on the injury and how the player's athleticism is affected as a result.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 19:42
If Mathews move is not not certain, then keep him.

Rocker (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 22:09
Mathews is off. Lock is an area that we have struggled with for years! Not since Olly and Danger have we had a really solid lock combo. Horwill has been great when fit, but he's not getting any younger and seems increasingly fragile. Mathews is good in the line out but has definite shortcomings elsewhere, Twomey still unproven, Merrick broken, Glyn not really up to scratch.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 09:38
Not sure what you mean by Merrick being broken? On the England second row watch list so canít be doing to badly. And he is a big old lump of a second row in the mould of an Olly Kohn. Still hasnít reached his vintage for a lock still needs age in the bottle.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 12:42
Horwill seems to be suffering more with injuries these days. I know it's not a popular view, but I think Matthews has played well this season, overall. Glynn also has showed his worth.

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 14:06
According to RIL Rumour ( variable reliability ) Sam Twomey had a medical at Bristol yesterday.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 15:43
Quote:
quinsfan123
Not sure what you mean by Merrick being broken? On the England second row watch list so canít be doing to badly. And he is a big old lump of a second row in the mould of an Olly Kohn. Still hasnít reached his vintage for a lock still needs age in the bottle.

Jones has name checked a lot of players, and called a fair number up to training camps, and Merrick wasn't one of those called up. I'd suggest he's pretty far down the order. He's never put in a good run of consistently decent performances. Like a few of our more recent academy players, he's come through and shown a lot of potential and not pushed on to being a top player. Obviously not all of them can.

I'd say Twomey showed more potential than Merrick. We had a bit of a golden period with our academy output, but since then it's been a mixed bunch and a lot of early promise has not turned into the finished product.

Dave L (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 18:16
The frustrating thing for me is that none of Matthews, Merrick or Twomey (the latter mostly due to injury) have really put their hand up and stepped up in any meaningful was after a lot of early promise. Matthews looked quality when he burst onto the scene but just hasnít cracked in like heís been expected to.

That said weíve often been lacking in senior locks. Until Horwill turned up we hadnt recruited one for years.

Grunge Quin (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 19:27
I wouldnt cry myself to sleep if Matthews, Merrick or Twomey left. Promise at times, but never going dominate the set play. Horwill was a welcome addition, but we still need an Kohn type enforcer to have a more rounded squad, as those 3 are all similar.

We've had a pretty awful line out this season, so getting a hooker who is actually good at throwing will be a big plus.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 20:29
Wouyld be nice if New Zealand could send us a young Colin Meads type!

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 23:19
Quote:
Grunge Quin
I wouldnt cry myself to sleep if Matthews, Merrick or Twomey left. Promise at times, but never going dominate the set play. Horwill was a welcome addition, but we still need an Kohn type enforcer to have a more rounded squad, as those 3 are all similar.
We've had a pretty awful line out this season, so getting a hooker who is actually good at throwing will be a big plus.

Merrick is that style of player.

never sleep (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 11:18
Quote:
Grunge Quin
I

Knowing what we do about Ward's darts, I don't know why we don't train someone else to throw the ball. I doesn't have to be a hooker.

From memory, Ward has scored a few tries from being in the lineout rather than throwing in.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 11:23
Quote:
never sleep
Quote:
Grunge Quin
I

Knowing what we do about Ward's darts, I don't know why we don't train someone else to throw the ball. I doesn't have to be a hooker.

From memory, Ward has scored a few tries from being in the lineout rather than throwing in.

It's almost like throwing into a lineout at premiership level isn't something you can pick up in a couple of weeks.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 12:28
Quote:
Jammy Git
Quote:
Grunge Quin

Merrick shouldnd could be that style of player but he isn't yet, or at least not a very good one

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 13:02
Quote:
Grunge Quin
I wouldnt cry myself to sleep if Matthews, Merrick or Twomey left.

Matthews isn't a flashy player. But people overlook what he's good at. In a few games this season he's produced very good stats.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 14:06
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Jammy Git
Quote:
Grunge Quin

Merrick shouldnd could be that style of player but he isn't yet, or at least not a very good one

He's very inconsistent for sure, but he's the very much in the mould of the beastly tight head lock who is there to hammer people, hit rucks, and push hard. And with it comes the bad hands and daft penalties. He's very different to the other two.

never sleep (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 15:01
Sloan leaving has been confirmed by the club - off to Ealing

UQ (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 15:03
Sloan is off to Ealing ūüė≥ Just announced on the Club website.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2018 15:04 by UQ.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 17:40
The trouble with Matthews is that he's not a big ball carrier. Fine in the line out but not so for gaining yards.

I saw mention of Saints getting rid of half their squad. Could any of them end up with us?

Cookie (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 18:24
It'll be interesting to see what the new DoR makes of the squad when he arrives and whether he'll address the issues we all seem to see at 2/4/9 in particular.

12 April, 2018 19:03
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Grunge Quin
I wouldnt cry myself to sleep if Matthews, Merrick or Twomey left.

Matthews isn't a flashy player. But people overlook what he's good at. In a few games this season he's produced very good stats.

The issue I see with Matthews is that he's used as a carrier far too often. Kudos to him because he usually gets through a ton of work, but he's just not a very good carrier (particularly at close quarters). He also sometimes wafts at players when he should be tackling them.

AnotherQuin (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 22:56
Was speaking to a friend this evening, he was saying his mate who is one of the squad suggests there’s strong rumours that DC is off at the end of the season... No idea how accurate that is but wouldn’t be surprised, shame if it’s true.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 23:01
I'd be very surprised. He's still in the England squad, so he'd need to go to another ap side. We'd have been linked with a top scrum half and we'd have heard rumours.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 23:33
Plus he could not go as a marquee player. Not sure who needs a SH in the prem?? Would not totally surprise me though

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 09:29
I think part of the problem is that DC has no competition at Quins. He will always be first choice.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 11:48
Quote:
Quinky Kin
I think part of the problem is that DC has no competition at Quins. He will always be first choice.

Very true but isnít that a nice position to be in for him?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 13:25
Quote:
quinsfan123
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Very true but isnít that a nice position to be in for him?

A sentence that sums up partly why we're in the poo.

Too many very comfy players with no challenge or need to improve.

DOK (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 13:43
But to challenge every player would mean we would need players good enough (or just off good enough) to play scrum half, prop (both sides) and back row for England. Then they could challenge the current incumbents. Presumably they'd be on close to the money of the England players, since they were (nearly) as good. That'll have implications for the rest of the squad under the salary cap.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 13:48
We currently have strong cover for both props. Back row is also well covered I think. Scrum half is an issue. DC isn't in fear of losing his place. The only other players who can be so confident are possibly Brown, and definitely Robshaw. The latter wouldn't know how to play below 110%, and Brown rarely has a poor game. Last weekend was an exception. DC has too many games where he's not seeming to play at his best.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 14:35
Quote:
Quinky Kin
...Brown rarely has a poor game. Last weekend was an exception. DC has too many games where he's not seeming to play at his best.

You are too kind to Browny - this season has seen him underperform more often than he'd surely want.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 14:48
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
...Brown rarely has a poor game. Last weekend was an exception. DC has too many games where he's not seeming to play at his best.

You are too kind to Browny - this season has seen him underperform more often than he'd surely want.

Agreed - Brown hit his peak three years ago. Last year was poor, this season has been patchy but better.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 14:54
I think the best Brown played for Quins was when England would not pick him

14 April, 2018 13:01
Quote:
HonkyTonk
I think the best Brown played for Quins was when England would not pick him

Yep, that's my opinion too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net