Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Re: Quins v London Irish - Match Thread
07 April, 2018 17:24
Quote:
Bucksquin
Jamie Roberts said in the Deb Lounge that there needed to be a "change of culture" ...but diplomatically didn't elaborate and the interviewer (as he always does) shielded the player from having to answer any difficult questions by overtly changing the subject.

He might say a little more about things after the season finishes.

ironquin (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 17:38
Don"t get me wrong, visiting the Stoop for the first time was quite emotional. Arriving at the ground at 1 I enjoyed the freedom of walking around the ground with pint in hand and watching Quins warm up. Everyone was very friendly. Shame about the result though.

akb1 (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 17:51
Quote:
ironquin
Don"t get me wrong, visiting the Stoop for the first time was quite emotional. Arriving at the ground at 1 I enjoyed the freedom of walking around the ground with pint in hand and watching Quins warm up. Everyone was very friendly. Shame about the result though.
Hope you come again and it is a far better day with a big win, see you next season!

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 17:51
Quote:
HonkyTonk
I agree QK but I think much of that also stems from the "culture" at the club, which is down to the DOR. The working environment is an important factor

Just to throw an idea in the air - IF the players are protesting, why should it be JK that they're protesting against? It could be Tofty or Minty? It could even be David Ellis. Yes, JK is DoR, but we don't know how much his hands are tied, or what decisions are forced onto him.

Dave L (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 17:52
That was an absolute disgrace. Not much more to say on the matter. Basics were utterly appalling, the players looked like they weren’t that bothered. First time I’ve heard boos for our players at the Stoop in a very long time. Kingston out chants started in the South end of the East stand at the final whistle too.

Something bad has clearly happened in the last couple of months. There were poor performances earlier in the season but the last few months efforts have been abject.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 17:56
And yet we have the odd stellar performance. I can't figure out what's different about those games. Any suggestions?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 17:56
Didn't say the players were protesting, more a case of the environment they are in being too comfy and allowing the sloppiness to set in.

DOK. (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 18:00
Some bloke in the West Stand started shouting at JK with about 10 minutes to go. It was on the lines of "Times Up, Kingston" or some such.

Time is certainly up for this coaching team/DOR combination. Today was just appalling.

Dave L (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 18:00
Quote:
Quinky Kin
And yet we have the odd stellar performance. I can't figure out what's different about those games. Any suggestions?

Let’s be honest QK they’ve been few and far between this year. Saracens at home in the league and Wasps at home I’m a champions cup dead rubber aside there has been very very little to cheer at all.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 18:02
Its a bit like being the product of your environment. I'm not saying the players set out to play bad but there is nothing of consequence if you do. I wouldn't have thought what we are seeing would be tolerated at certain other clubs. Only my opinion of course

will_quin (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 18:17
This afternoon was the worst I have seen us at home for a very long time. The attitude of the players as a whole was summed up in one moment after we scored our try. To a man from 1 to 15 (apart from Smith who was lining up the conversion), I noticed there was no communication or encouragement between the lads. Every single one of them was standing in their own little world with their hands on their hips wanting to be anywhere other than the pitch.

Things have to change, and they have to change now otherwise next season will be 2004/5 all over again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2018 18:19 by will_quin.

07 April, 2018 19:41
My first season going to Quins was the year after relegation. I've seen some great years with the golden generation Brown Care Robshaw. These guys will be gone soon. We have an ageing squad and a below average DOR.

A total rebuild is required.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 20:13
Quote:
Dave L
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Let’s be honest QK they’ve been few and far between this year. Saracens at home in the league and Wasps at home I’m a champions cup dead rubber aside there has been very very little to cheer at all.

Yes, I agree. But I don't understand how the team can change so drastically.

Quote:
HonkyTonk
Didn't say the players were protesting

Not aimed at you HT. It's been mentioned by a few other posters.

07 April, 2018 20:23
Protesting maybe...

What's clear is that they are no longer buying into JK and probably haven't for a while. Due to the crazy decision to renew his contract we appear to be stuck with him. Otherwise now is the time to rebuild with a new DOR, head coach and defense coach. I would keep Nick Evans.

MrOther (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 20:36
Quote:
Quins brixton branch
... Due to the crazy decision to renew his contract we appear to be stuck with him. ...

No, he can still be got rid of. Contracts are like rules: they exist to be broken. It'll just cost more now than it otherwise would have done.

KevT (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 20:57
The finger now points at the board. They haven’t addressed the coaching situation,. They supposedly conducted a worldwide search which resulted in the current regime. If culture is the issue then this comes from the very top of the club. They renewed the contracts if the coaching team.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 21:03
& appointed David Ellis.......

Mayor West (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 09:53
Northampton had a clear out , how did that go? We need one to be a lot more effective than theirs.

Cookie (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 10:06
Quote:
Mayor West
Northampton had a clear out , how did that go? We need one to be a lot more effective than theirs.

Dorian West doesn’t leave until the end of the season - he was the real problem.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 10:10
Northampton will be a better side next season, they are being proactive.

Navyquin (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 11:31
Quote:
Mayor West

Can't judge them yet, they haven't even got their permanent DoR in yet.

Cookie (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 12:17
Quote:
Navyquin
Quote:
Mayor West

Can't judge them yet, they haven't even got their permanent DoR in yet.

Quite.

And to address the ‘who’s available’ line again, who knew the Hurricanes’ Head Coach was available. Outstanding signing.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 12:38
Exactly

Mayor West (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 18:50
Why did Saints get rid of Mallinder if West is the problem?

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 19:40
Quote:
Mayor West

Partly Because Mallinder wasn't prepared to get rid of West, which he should have done.

Same with JK and his coaches.

Difference being that Northampton are trying to do something about it.

thomh (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 20:47
Anyone else out there completely uninterested in Ellis or the role of the CEO/board generally? Coaching appointments aside (not insignificant I realise) I fail to see what he’s got to do with any issues on the playing side of things. No indication whatsoever that Kingston hasn’t been given whatever resources he needs for signings and coaching.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 22:06
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Mayor West

Partly Because Mallinder wasn't prepared to get rid of West, which he should have done.

Same with JK and his coaches.

Difference being that Northampton are trying to do something about it.

Why didn't they sack both of them then.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 08:36
Quote:
thomh
Anyone else out there completely uninterested in Ellis or the role of the CEO/board generally? Coaching appointments aside (not insignificant I realise) I fail to see what he’s got to do with any issues on the playing side of things. No indication whatsoever that Kingston hasn’t been given whatever resources he needs for signings and coaching.

Yep. Completely disinterested. But it's open season to attack anyone in management at Quins, it would seem.

Has anyone thought we might need to replace the strength and conditioning coach? We do suffer a large number of injuries. Maybe our conditioning and fitness isn't good enough.

Do we have a sports psychologist? If so, I'd question how effective they've been.

The list could go on.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 08:45
I wouldn't say its open season, you have to look at where the fault lies. I dont blame JK taking the job, I blame who gave it to him. I have nothing against JK but as DOR the buck stops with him. If it is an issue the the other coaches, then he needs to make some decisions about that. Marler, Roberts and some ex players have all voiced their concerns/feelings which point to there being issues. Its not a witch hunt, I would call it problem solving.

I would happily see JK return to a coaching role as I thought he done well in that respect. Our forwards have certainly gone backwards (no pun intended) since others have come in

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 11:21
Quote:
HonkyTonk
I wouldn't say its open season, you have to look at where the fault lies. I dont blame JK taking the job, I blame who gave it to him. I have nothing against JK but as DOR the buck stops with him. If it is an issue the the other coaches, then he needs to make some decisions about that. Marler, Roberts and some ex players have all voiced their concerns/feelings which point to there being issues. Its not a witch hunt, I would call it problem solving.
I would happily see JK return to a coaching role as I thought he done well in that respect. Our forwards have certainly gone backwards (no pun intended) since others have come in

Just another idea: how would JK do as DoR, if he had, say Sean Edwards as defence coach? Or Wayne Smith as an attack coach? Is it possible that the selection of coaches wasn't JK's after all? Hearing that players don't like "the culture" might easily mean the culture of giving coaching jobs to ex-players who don't warrant them, or even the culture of the DoR not being given free reign to make his own decisions. One day we'll find out.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 11:22
I agree with that HK. John has always been a proficient forwards coach. But now that we have sufered two seasons of decline & things just get worse, surely its sound to consider those who appointed JK & the coaching set up in the first place, & then extended their contracts for what turns out to be failure. I think open season is fair enough tbh. This should not be a secret society, personally over the last 14 years I've invested a lot of time, passion, & hard cash into Harlequins, & although I am not currently a season ticket holder, I still feel that all of us deserve answers & actions. I've pointed out the Strength & Conditioning issue quite a few times recently, but surely that comes under the DOR doesnt it?

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net