rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Joe Marler - one man protest?
Bucksquin (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 18:11
About 10 minutes from the end, after he was subbed, Marler strode up the steps of the West Stand looking like thunder and had about a minute's agitated conversation with the lady on the gate who was keeping the plebs out of the VIP area. Couldn't hear the conversation, but he was not a happy bunny. Was he looking for Ellis to tell him "enough is enough"? Clearly he wasn't after Kingston, because he knew that he was in the viewing gallery, and he could have gone up the stepladder to get to him if he'd wanted.

NB I didn't see Kingston come down at the end. Easter did, but he left via the internal route in the stand, clearly to avoid encountering the supporters. Maybe Kingston is still up there?

Re: Joe Marler - one man protest?
GP2110 (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 18:30
Marler was asking for Ellis and said he wanted to speak to him after the game. He looked furious.

Kingston waited until the very final seconds and went into the boxes rather than down the stairs in the stand. First time heís done that. I think the end is v near

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 18:32
Maybe he just got lost!!!!

raedarius (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 18:35
He had a glaring contest with those of us of a vocal disposition in GA of the North Stand after the second or third Irish try.

kevin (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 18:35
Maybe JK sacked and Joe wanted to plead that JK should stay?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 18:37
Maybe he wants a job, realises all the other ex players get a coaching role

ironquin (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 18:41
Joe Marler is massive close up. What a beast.

DOK (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 18:42
I can understand the coaches not wanting to face the fans after that performance! Agreed at one level no-one coached Mike Brown to have the worst game I've ever seen him play, but SOMETHING IS CLEARLY UP! Mike has his own high standards he always strives to meet, and today he didn't even meet his low standards.

Everyone was infected. We were joking that some Far Eastern betting syndicate had nobbled the players to each make some sort of Howler of a mistake. Balls dropped, passes to Harvey the Winger (at least twice), stupid penalties, forward passes, interfering with players in the air, losing possession in a number of ways, 2 yellow cards - the penalty count is going to make terrible reading. I remarked maybe the betting syndicate had an accumulator on us giving away 50 penalties.

MrOther (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 18:43
Quote:
GP2110
... I think the end is v near

Let us hope so.

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 19:36
Quote:
Bucksquin
About 10 minutes from the end, after he was subbed, Marler strode up the steps of the West Stand looking like thunder and had about a minute's agitated conversation with the lady on the gate who was keeping the plebs out of the VIP area. Couldn't hear the conversation, but he was not a happy bunny. Was he looking for Ellis to tell him "enough is enough"? Clearly he wasn't after Kingston, because he knew that he was in the viewing gallery, and he could have gone up the stepladder to get to him if he'd wanted.
NB I didn't see Kingston come down at the end. Easter did, but he left via the internal route in the stand, clearly to avoid encountering the supporters. Maybe Kingston is still up there?

Um... That would be Anne McCarthy, Ellis' PA. I know the club's in turmoil, but I don't think it's fair to demote her like that!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2018 19:37 by The Dead Baron.

DOK (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 20:49
Well, we didn't play like this last game.

Therefore, with my Sherlock Holmes deerstalker on, something has happened between last game and this which has greatly upset the players. (Mike Brown obviously off his game, Joe Marler incandescent with rage at something)

It happened recently, or the players would be more calmed down. An announcement prior to the game today?

It involved David Ellis or why did Marler want to see him so badly?

So something David Ellis did/said which upset the team prior to playing today...

Something is afoot! What?

Fanski (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 20:54
A guy near us shouted Kingston out Joe who had been taken off by then stood up looked over and smiled he then walked up the stairs to where Kingston was with a face that could have turned people into stone and was not allowed to get to him by the stewards

DOK (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 20:56
Can anyone clarify was Marler trying to see Ellis or Kingston? I seem to have two different stories here.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 20:56
Id go the opposite. I think this has been brewing for a while and with the way the game went marler lost it at went to ask Ellis why the coaches have been given extns when we are obviously so gash

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 21:15
It looked like he was trying to get into the large corporate box in the below JK's ivory tower rather than up the ladder

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

Pete Sake (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 21:26
LI fan in peace here.

Didn't get to the game - would have but with 50,000 Bath/Tigers supporters also trying to park in the residents areas I decided not to.

But is there just the slightest chance that you were out played and out thought, and lost to the better team on the day?

Maybe, just maybe, LI's new management team had you worked out?

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 21:28
Quote:
Pete Sake
LI fan in peace here.
Didn't get to the game - would have but with 50,000 Bath/Tigers supporters also trying to park in the residents areas I decided not to.

But is there just the slightest chance that you were out played and out thought, and lost to the better team on the day?

Are you sure?

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 21:31
Quote:
Pete Sake
LI fan in peace here.

Very true but on the day Quins offered very little for you to either out think or out play. Good performance from Irish today, much better team on the day.

Quanks (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 21:33
Quote:
Pete Sake
LI fan in peace here.

Maybe, just maybe, thatís the problem!

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 21:33
Yep, but my argument for a long time has been it does not take much to out think/out play quins these days. No one really has to play well to beat us!!

Robertquin (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 21:37
We do the same thing every match and everyone has us worked out. That's the issue. Well done LI.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 21:40
Joe summed it up on Twitter, sorry fans you deserve better, or words to that effect
Today was dire
So are the players playing badly to show unhappy the6 are, or are they just playing badly due to coaching?

Iíve no idea but something has to change

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 21:43
There is an apology from Joe on Twitter:

Twitter

Mayor West (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 21:47
Come on , somebody must know somebody that knows somebody who knows what's going on.
Arniepie ! Where are you in our hour of need?

will_quin (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 22:17
There's also one from Kyle

Twitter

RleQuin (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 03:22
Apologies donít wash - weíve had them before! All at the club should leave. Nothing works, everything is rubbish
RleQ

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 06:28
Quote:
Pete Sake
LI fan in peace here.

There were two teams on the pitch. One played a lot better than the other. One team wanted it, one didn't.

Hurts me to say it, but all credit to LI.

Anyone reminded of the Six Nations - England v Ireland game by any chance?

Dave L (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 07:42
Quote:
QuickerQuin
Quote:
Pete Sake
LI fan in peace here.

There were two teams on the pitch. One played a lot better than the other. One team wanted it, one didn't.

Hurts me to say it, but all credit to LI.

Anyone reminded of the Six Nations - England v Ireland game by any chance?

England scored 3 tries and actually looked like putting some play together. Quins didnít even come close to doing anything like that yesterday.

plzd (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 07:54
Just before Joe walking up the stand to try to see JK a guy near me started looking up at JK and shouting very loudly "Kingston Out". A few others joined in and I think if the guy had continued many more would have as well.

Anyway Joe heard this and stood up as he had been taken off by now, he stood up and looked over at where the guy was sitting. He stood for quite a while and just smiled and nodded.

I think we are in huge trouble. JK clearly is not respected by the players and he has just signed a 3 year contract.

I fear that many will not renew when the contract is due.

I also have huge fears that if this ringfencing that is being mooted comes in it is at exactly the wrong time for Quins.

I can genuinely see us being relegated as we could lose to anyone now. Yesterday was the wqorst I have seen in over 25 years of being a Quins fan. We are in desperate trouble.

is

08 April, 2018 08:42
We won't get relegated this season - even if we lose all our remaining matches (on of which is against Worcester) LI have to play Exeter, Sarries, and Bath and they'll need to get bonus point wins from all those games to overhaul us.That ain't happening. I do agree, though, if something isn't done soon we'll be in the poo next term.

Closer & Closer (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 09:17
Maybe Joe is looking to show other teams that he wants to leave?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 09:25
Thing that I do not understand though, why are players still re signing if they are unhappy???

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 09:54
Quote:
Closer & Closer
Maybe Joe is looking to show other teams that he wants to leave?

He'd get a lower price if he wanted away.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Cookie (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 10:08
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Thing that I do not understand though, why are players still re signing if they are unhappy???

Rugby contracts generally 2 years. Players who have only known one club who are married with young families trying to get their kids in good schools etc will side with the devil they know and suck up any issues.

I'm more worried about Sinks/Jack/Marchant etc. If they stopped re-signing, then we'd have an issue.

Square Quin (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 10:35
Such a shame. One of the worse performances I have seen from Quins. I hate criticising the players and / or the coaches. But it clearly isn't working. I think the CEO and the Board of Directors have to take a good long look as to why a talented squad is not performing. I would not envy their job. But they will need to get under the skin of what exactly is happening. The Internationals and those vying for places in International squads must be worried. This isn't doing their chances any good - and with the World Cup fast approaching. Sorry to be so negative. I love this club. I worry for its reputation and standing - if this is allowed to continue.

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 10:54
Why are you being so apologetic? They are all professionals and we are paying to watch hem. The least we canít expect is effort.

The coaching team and the players all need to take a serious look in the mirror. If most of us turned up to our jobs and performed as poorly, weíd all be flirting with the sack.

Itís not disloyal to want answers to valid questions.

Cookie (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 17:14
Just been told on solid authority that Marler was looking for Ellis, not JK.

DOK (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 17:18
Fits my theory that Ellis had done/said something just before the game to upset the team.

WoTQuin (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 17:19
No wonder Ellis has skipped off the Quinssa event tomorrow, even the players want a piece of him!

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 17:19
I hope Joe isn't looking to blame anyone else for his own poor performance.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 17:38
Quote:
DOK
Fits my theory that Ellis had done/said something just before the game to upset the team.

Or that he finally lost it after this brewing for a while and went to find out why nothing is being done

jonf (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 17:46
I hope Joe finds Ellis, at least it means Ellis bothers to turn up to watch.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 18:48
As much as I agree with giving the opposition credit, there's no hiding from the fact that we were dismal across the board. Irish didn't make us pass into touch or give away stupid penalties and cards or make us pass forward or run into each other. You can be beaten by a better team while not playing badly, or be beaten by a better team that also makes you look bad with pressure, but our effort yesterday was absolutely appalling.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 20:55
Quote:
WoTQuin
No wonder Ellis has skipped off the Quinssa event tomorrow, even the players want a piece of him!

The guy's busy abroad on Harlequins business. Read the news before hiding behind your screen whilst posting that rubbish comment!

He has rescheduled the event. I guess you're (not) going to be there and state your concerns personally to the man.. Right?

Scamble (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 07:21
Tells you all you need to know (look carefully in case you miss it the first time)

https://preview.ibb.co/kT2NGc/FA026_AC3_191_F_4_A86_A637_AD514570764_E.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2018 08:13 by Scamble.

Dave L (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 07:49
Quote:
Scamble
Tells you all you need to know (look carefully in case you miss it first time)
[ibb.co]

Yep. Worrying but not surprising.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 09:13
Does anyone know when our "big name" players are ooc (off the top of their head)??
I'm thinking Marler, Robshaw etc

blucherquin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 09:29
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Does anyone know when our "big name" players are ooc (off the top of their head)??
I'm thinking Marler, Robshaw etc

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Care last signed 2015 - so assume this summer

Likewise Brown - so unless either of them signed for more than three years

DazzaS (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 09:34
Joe Marler must be soon. Did he not sign then practically the next day or following week Conor O'Shea resigned.

He certainly is one of most vocal critic of JK. He is diplomatic about it but during a 5 live rugby show he said that the appointmetn and extension of JK raised eyebrows with certain team memebrs but he does not make the decision he just plays.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 09:34
Cheers. I may get shot down for this but......I would not think the sky has fallen in if Brown left. Care would be a blow but not terminal. Robshaw and Marler are the ones for me, plus Sink if he sorts himself out (which I wonder may be down to the current situation).

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 09:36
I wonder if "player power" may push Ellis hand re jk and the coaches

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 09:39
Serious question. Which top 4 or 6 sides would want Brown, Care, Marler?

I don't mean it as a criticism of the players just that they'd be Marquee money players likely not available during Internationals. Given their ages (not sure about Marler) they might be of interest after the RWC when they're no longer Internationals.

For clubs outside the top 6 would those players want to go there?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 09:48
Apart from Marler I agree. He is still a top player but I think the current situation at the club is possibly affecting performance

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 10:27
Quote:
OldMarovian
I don't mean it as a criticism of the players just that they'd be Marquee money players likely not available during Internationals. Given their ages (not sure about Marler) they might be of interest after the RWC when they're no longer Internationals.

Marler is still young enough but of the top 5/6 clubs, I can only see Wasps potentially and Newcastle as potential destinations, the others in the top 4 already have top looseheads.

I agree about the others, their age profile and the fact that they actually go away with England does not mke them very desirable signings

Dave L (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 10:39
Quote:
Barnetsarrie12
Quote:
OldMarovian

Marler is still young enough but of the top 5/6 clubs, I can only see Wasps potentially and Newcastle as potential destinations, the others in the top 4 already have top looseheads.

I agree about the others, their age profile and the fact that they actually go away with England does not mke them very desirable signings

I agree. On a broader point I can barely see the benefit to any club of signing England internationals anymore.

johnlid (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 10:48
Quote:
Dave L
Quote:
Barnetsarrie12
Quote:
OldMarovian

Is the answer to sign players who just good enough to play at international level but can't displace the incumbents in their position. Bit like Exeter perhaps?

I agree. On a broader point I can barely see the benefit to any club of signing England internationals anymore.

never sleep (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 10:50
I think that if Joe was going to leave, it would need to be an easy commute from his home. I can't see him moving home. That would make LI the only real alternative (and maybe Sarries). As he was a Quins supporter before he was a player, I somehow can't see him moving to Sarries. I actually think that if he were to leave Quins, one option that he may consider would be retiring.

09 April, 2018 10:52
Quote:
never sleep
I think that if Joe was going to leave, it would need to be an easy commute from his home. I can't see him moving home. That would make LI the only real alternative (and maybe Sarries). As he was a Quins supporter before he was a player, I somehow can't see him moving to Sarries. I actually think that if he were to leave Quins, one option that he may consider would be retiring.

Maybe that's what hurts him the most...

Teddington Taff (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 10:56
Quote:
Scrumhead
Why are you being so apologetic? They are all professionals and we are paying to watch hem. The least we canít expect is effort.
The coaching team and the players all need to take a serious look in the mirror. If most of us turned up to our jobs and performed as poorly, weíd all be flirting with the sack.

Itís not disloyal to want answers to valid questions.

I totally agree. Could't say it any better.

PickledPelican (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 11:31
Just keep in mind that no leaving player from Quins, can go to another Premiership club as a marquee player. Marquee players must arrive from outside the league.

So where would the top players go?

Scotland, Ireland, Wales.........? Unlikely!
Another Premiership club.........? Most probable
France......... Depends on family, international aspirations!

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 11:42
I could easily see Care and Brown going to France.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 11:44
Eddie Jones will have to take some radical decisions after this 6 nations. Much as I love Mike Brown, he has lost pace and is not the force he used to be. I think he and Danny may well be the fall guys for that 6 nations performance. If that is the case, I wouldn't blame them going to France for a pay day, and TBH if JK needs to stamp his authority on a set of players, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't try to hard to stop them going.

Jo is a different matter, he has 4 or 5 more years of top class rugby in him and I'd love to see him stay. If he's not buying into the current coaching set up though, how hard would they try to keep him?

Chris deserves to stay as long as he wants, he has been an amazing servant of the club and a great ambassador - hope he stays.

With the exception of Dombrandt, I can't see how the new players coming in are going to create a huge momentum shift, so I'm not too excited about next year.

Anyone else wonder what is going on with Rowntree? Our lineourts are a shambles, and our ability to drive a maul forward is non existent. Our defence of oppo mauls is shocking, and our scrum statistically is one of the worst in the league.

Some changes need to be made in the coaching staff in the off season surely? Maybe that would even persuade Jo to stay?

Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 11:48
A marquee player is an athlete who is considered exceptionally popular, skilled or otherwise outstanding, especially in professional sports.

(Sm156)

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 12:09
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Apart from Marler I agree. He is still a top player but I think the current situation at the club is possibly affecting performance

There are two sides to this coin. Yes, I can see how it might affect a player; and yet Robshaw still plays out of his skin every game. So what does that say about the attitudes of different players? I'm not criticising anyone here, but it just adds to the conundrum of what can actually be wrong at the club.

Jus-Quin-Time (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 12:17
Quote:
Stooperman
Eddie Jones will have to take some radical decisions after this 6 nations. Much as I love Mike Brown, he has lost pace and is not the force he used to be. I think he and Danny may well be the fall guys for that 6 nations performance.

Eddie Jones has always said he wants 3 players competing for every position. Thinking about the RWC he also knows that he can not play Mike Brown in every game for a full 80 min. So Anthony Watson was brought in to give him game time at FB. That was a decision made for long term strategic reasons, not because Mike Brown has lost pace and power. If anything the poor performance of Watson at FB has cemented Brown as the number one choice.

Danny has a role to play as the finishing no 9 when he can increase game tempo. During the 6N Eddie Jones used him as a starter because his preferred man was injured. He also did as expected, went to his 3rd choice player rather than start someone new.

Not quite sure this has anything to do with the performance at the weekend. As I see it the actions of Eddie Jones are entirely consistent with what he has previously said. Both MB and DC will stay in the team and both will go the the RWC.

If you want fall guys then the 'mash up' from 4 to 8 seems to be the start point.

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 12:28
seems like the DM see it as more than just a 'one man protest'

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2018 12:31 by ChipsteadQuin.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 12:33
Quote:
ChipsteadQuin
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

To be fair there isn't a single quote or fact in that article, so talk of 'mutiny' is based on very little.

That said, it's not wrong about our problems.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 13:11
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
ChipsteadQuin
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

To be fair there isn't a single quote or fact in that article, so talk of 'mutiny' is based on very little.

That said, it's not wrong about our problems.

Article is based on nothing. Not a single example of players ďstaging a mutinyĒ or indeed voicing their concerns publicly.

09 April, 2018 13:33
As Marls came back down the stairs and into the dug out after his hapless journey to find Mr Ellis, he has a jesticulated conversation with Sinks and then DC which looked a lot like "I want a word in private". Marls then stalked off downt he tunnel and DC looked around for a bit then followed although he returned a few moments later - to be fair, he was in the bin at the time and it was before he was subbed. I presume Marls wanted to vent with his peers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net