Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

JK gone
BuckQuin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:21
...at the end of the season.

[www.quins.co.uk]

Re: JK gone
09 April, 2018 15:22
Thank you JK for all your hard work, best of luck in your new adventures!

TheSouthfields2 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:23
Yes, thank you to a committed Quin but It's time to go. But NOT ALONE!

WellingQuin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:25
Yes I agree with what someone said in the other thread. Been with the club 17 years and huge amount of respect for what he has done. Do wish him all the best for the future but after how it has been for the past season or so, we were in dire need of a change.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:26
Can't help feeling nothing will change until someone brings in a new coach or coaches. Let's hope to god we get a DOR of high repute or else the fans will be on his back from the start.

akb1 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:27
All the best for the future John.

Scamble (IP Logged)
One down, who’s next?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
Glad to see this decision has been taken, but thank you JK for all you have done for the club and for the major role you played in our period of success. Time for a change and this season has not been fun but thank you for all that went before.

Safri-quin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:28
Thanks for everything you have done John. Sad it had to end this way...

Cookie (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:29
Regardless of anything, JK has dedicated almost his entire non-playing career to Quins and for that we should be grateful.

In no way has it all been bad and I hope we can all remember him for the good times and not the end, which could have been handled better.

When all's said and done, I will seek him out at Kingsholm to shake his hand.

Dave L (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:31
Quote:
Cookie
Regardless of anything, JK has dedicated almost his entire non-playing career to Quins and for that we should be grateful.
In no way has it all been bad and I hope we can all remember him for the good times and not the end, which could have been handled better.

Agree with your sentiments Cookie.

Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:35
John who's stepped down with honour and grace. Cheers fella, will miss the banter during and after QUINSSA evening.

Scamble (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:35
Good man and great club servant. All the more baffling that he is staying on until the end of the season.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:39
Quote:
Scamble
Good man and great club servant. All the more baffling that he is staying on until the end of the season.

I think our coaches need all the bloody help they can get!

quinze15 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:40
All the best JK, know doubting his passion for Quins but he had to go. Let`s hope we get a new DOR with no Quins affiliation to shake things up and who will look to appoint his own coaching staff.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:44
A sad end but one that has been coming for a long time. I'm not convinced he wanted the role in the first place, and ultimately it just hasn't worked for whatever reason.

He deserves a huge amount of respect for his commitment to the club, and I hope the players pull their fingers out and get him at least one result in the last few games. They owe him that much at least.

As others have said he's not the only one who needs to go, and I hope the new DOR comes in and is allowed to bring in his own people.

Questions have to be asked about Ellis' handling of all of this considering JK was given a new contract not very long ago, but ultimately the right decision has been made and I immediately feel a bit more positive for the future, whilst feeling sorry for JK and anyone else who ends up leaving.

COYQ!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:44
Presumably this is why the team were all at sea on Saturday?

Nigel_B (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:48
John,I wish you well for your future, you've been a great number 2 in charge and a loyal servant to the club. I do think you were put into a very difficult position when COS left and think that you should have remained that Number 2 and the powers that be brought in someone else. Their (cost cutting?) decision cost you. As I've already said best wishes for your future.

Robertquin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:50
Quote:
Nigel_B
John,I wish you well for your future, you've been a great number 2 in charge and a loyal servant to the club. I do think you were put into a very difficult position when COS left and think that you should have remained that Number 2 and the powers that be brought in someone else. Their (cost cutting?) decision cost you. As I've already said best wishes for your future.

Absolutely agree. Good luck and all the best.

Nigel_B (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:51
Quote:
blucherquin
Presumably this is why the team were all at sea on Saturday?

BQ, no I think this decision was made after Saturday's result.

Mr_B (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:53
whatever the situation is now John has been a great servant of the club over the years with some very special times, so thank you for your part in that. Sorry it has come to this and am of the opinion should never have been put in this position, Ellis should have got a DOR from outside with new ideas etc, anyway good luck for the future.

D-Quins (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:06
Well rumour has it Dean Richards is leaving Newcastle at the end of the season, A second go at the Quins job. I personally would welcome him he is a great manager, I know others would be very unhappy. What do people think?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:13
Ellis' handling of all this really has not been good. Wonder what it has cost to rip up his contract so soon after it was renewed. As others have said, think a couple of others need to go too. I suspect (and hope) JK will be able to find another job without too much difficulty

DOK (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:15
Sorry to hear this JK. Still believe in your vision and where you were taking the club. Your recruitment was better than we'd seen for a while, and next season with a full and healthy squad we could really be going places. Shame someone else will get the credit for that. Best of luck in the future JK, hope you'll be somewhere you can use your rugby experience and knowledge.

Stoopendous (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:20
All the best in whatever you choose to do John. I am certain there will be better days ahead. Thank-you for all your dedication and effort. The team you have put in place could be a cup winning side within two seasons if the individuals involved can somehow conspire to stay out of a) hospital and b) international consideration for a while. I'm sorry to see you go under these circumstances.

Arlequin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:25
If I were the Quins owners I would be VERY unhappy with David Ellis. He took over a club that was just about to win the premiership on the back of what he inherited. We have fallen a long way and I am not sure if the financial performance is any better? Not helped by offering a contract extension absolutely no justification which now presumably means a pay off for JK and others no doubt.

I have never been impressed with Ellis, the man talks in pie charts, I am sure he understands a lot about housing associations.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:26
Quote:
D-Quins
Well rumour has it Dean Richards is leaving Newcastle at the end of the season, A second go at the Quins job. I personally would welcome him he is a great manager, I know others would be very unhappy. What do people think?

In a heartbeat for me

Kingston Going
QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 15:23
John Kingston leaves at end of season
[www.quins.co.uk]

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:47
Quote:
Cookie

I completely agree. And let's be honest, in his time there were many, many good times.

Quote:
DOK
Sorry to hear this JK. Still believe in your vision and where you were taking the club. Your recruitment was better than we'd seen for a while, and next season with a full and healthy squad we could really be going places. Shame someone else will get the credit for that. Best of luck in the future JK, hope you'll be somewhere you can use your rugby experience and knowledge.

I agree with all of this. But tough decisions have been made, and we must move on. Sorry to see JK's undoubted ability with the forwards will be missed.

Rocker (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 16:52
Good guy over promoted IMHO. Sorry it has come to this but I dint think there could be any other course of action with the way the season has panned out.

Monte (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 17:01
John looked ashen at the BT interview after the match. Very sad end to his time at Quins because he has done a huge amount over the years for Quins through some really tough times - relegation, new DORs and the dreaded incident that shall not be mentioned. A lovely guy but something has clearly gone wrong.

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 17:19
Unfortunately there was no other way. JK bleeds the quarters and I hope the players show him some respect and perform for him in his final three games.

Navyquin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 17:47
I for one would love to see JK back at the club in a coaching role. He may not have a been a good DoR but he was a top quality coach. Would be surprised to see him end up as a defence coach at a club like Northampton.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 17:54
Take a spell abroad I reckon.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Teddington Taff (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 18:06
He's a good man. I think that he was - from time to time - let down by his coaching staff and some of the senior players. I'm sorry to see him go but I do understand the reasons.

GP2110 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 18:10
Quote:
Navyquin
I for one would love to see JK back at the club in a coaching role. He may not have a been a good DoR but he was a top quality coach. Would be surprised to see him end up as a defence coach at a club like Northampton.

Whilst it would be nice from a loyalty perspective, he needs to go. He has lost the respect of the dressing room. We need a fresh perspective and new coaches.

09 April, 2018 18:20
Typical of the man to be honourable and whilst he may have had nowhere else to go, he has done the decent thing. But he should not be allowed to take that lonely walk on his own. Thank you John for your commitment and for the good times we've all enjoyed. Good luck to you.

Bucksquin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 18:22
Has anyone considered that it may be because JK is a decent bloke that he has (nobly, but ultimately foolhardily) stood by the (inadequate) coaches that he kept on when he became DoR and who have now caused him to lose his job ...? Mapletoft, Osbourne and Easter in particular, I would imagine.

Cookie (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 18:28
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Cookie

I completely agree. And let's be honest, in his time there were many, many good times.

Quote:
DOK

I agree with all of this. But tough decisions have been made, and we must move on. Sorry to see JK's undoubted ability with the forwards will be missed.

Personally, I'd like to see us park all the reasons, give him his due credit and move on with some unity. God knows we all need to come together now as fans as much as players and all get onside for the new season. Let's see him off in style and get ready for a new chapter. No recriminations. No explanations. No justifications.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 18:53
Having talked with John, he once bought me a beer, I know that he's an ok guy & we all know that give him a forward pack to develop & he'll be a winner. But John should never have been appointed DOR & I'm rather shocked that he accepted the post. He probably did through loyalty to the club. He's a good guy who from afar appears to have been put up to be sacrificed. Which is why I am so angry with Ellis who I think is the architect of our downfall.

Now it might be that he also is out of his depth, being quite a good commercial director. So that says to me why dont we have a Rugby Chief Exec working alongside Ellis..??

Perhaps the fall out from this will highlight issues which the board will accept as errors & make suitable adjustments? I think everyone needs to accept their failures & learn. But John has been a fantastic servant to the club & I for one fully respect what he has done for us & the pain he must have endured on our behalf.

Now lets crack on & get the DOR & coaching & S&C sorted out.

DruidsLodge (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 20:06
I'll dissent here.
JK was not up to the job 15 years ago and he has set us back in the last 2 seasons.
It was a terrible decision to appoint him, a worse once to renew his contract.

To disagree with some comments, I think recriminations are entirely justified, and are necessary.
If I may quote Mr Ellis:
"John is developing the squad gradually to be his own and his great desire to evolve a positive environment across the club will stand us in good stead, as we layout our long term vision to drive Harlequins onto the next level"; that was stated approximately 90 days ago.

Shall we paper over cracks here ?
Or shall try to cleanse the stables ?

The Kid (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 20:32
17 years a servant to the club, we owe him little but thanks. It's a shame how it ended, DOR obviously a promotion too far for him, but there is no denying the man's service and commitment to Harlequins.

Hope he goes well in his future endeavours. However, we need to move on at this time and in more ways than one dismissal can permit.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 21:23
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Cookie

Quote:
DOK

Personally, I'd like to see us park all the reasons, give him his due credit and move on with some unity. God knows we all need to come together now as fans as much as players and all get onside for the new season. Let's see him off in style and get ready for a new chapter. No recriminations. No explanations. No justifications.

smileys with beer

RleQuin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 21:34
Let’s see how many coaches and players do the honourable thing as well.
Ellis makes me laugh - it’s nothing to do with him of course!!
RleQ

Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 21:45
Cookie / Quinky Kin

At last

(Sm108)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2018 21:51 by Uncle Arthur.

Quaking Quin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 21:54
Despite all the 'mutual agreement' stuff in the press, the question has to be - did he jump or was he pushed?

If JK had wanted to resign on his own terms he would have done it after the match on Saturday and gone immediately.

An announcement on Monday means he received the call from the CEO, was shown the press release, told what the redundancy settlement package would be and was asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

After supporter reaction on Saturday and ST threats the club have been panicked into the decision - but then bizarrely ask JK to stay on until the end of the season??? Clearly management have no faith in anyone in the rest of the coaching staff taking over responsibility - or will be getting rid of others when the new DoR is in place.

Personal tragedy for JK and his family but the right decision for the club.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2018 22:05 by Quaking Quin.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 22:04
Are we going to see an unprecedented outbreak of harmony on caw, at least until the next loss and new dor appointment?

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 22:16
Quote:
Quaking Quin

Personal tragedy for JK and his family but the right decision for the club.

Let us try to keep things in perspective.

He has been handsomely rewarded over the years and now he will have had a very generous payout.

The word 'tragedy' is out of place.

Quaking Quin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 22:55
Having been one of the biggest critics of JK since his appointment as DoR I think I did put the redundancy into the correct perspective.

To be sacked from any job is a personal tragedy - irrespective of the rewards enjoyed in the position.

No doubt his payout is no more than the terms in his contract of employment dictated and reflected the senior post he held. The sum may be large to many but is unlikely to have been generous although it will be tax free.

DazzaS (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 22:59
He has been a great servant for the club, he has played in the quarters. He wanted the best for the club. He is an excellent coach but i don't think he is DOR material.

But it's not just him. The coaches need to be reviewed. Nick Easter, Nick Evans made too big a jump from coaching a division 2 south side.

I wish John kingston all the best and I hope he gets a job soon.

But the rot is at the top. As an organisation both on pitch and off it the club is not playing well.

This shows incompetence at the top. Offer an extension then sack JK. It is not good. David Ellis needs to consider his position and see if he is cut out for it,

09 April, 2018 23:07
Good coach, never a DOR (not ruthless enough?), sadly the good memories of his work have been soured by the recent debacle.

Get the coaches out, too. A clean sweep.

DOK (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 23:36
Some of this was interesting

Quote:
Kingston initially told people that he did not want the job, having previously held the reins after Dean Richards’ exit in the wake of the Bloodgate scandal.

new appointments such as Nick Easter and Nick Evans are long-serving players not able to offer fresh perspectives, which England prop Joe Marler alluded to in an interview in February.

“Although they are in coaching roles, they have still been at the club a long time and things are quite familiar,” Marler told the BBC. “You have got people in different roles but they still have been at the club for a long period of time. As coaches and management they could probably do with a freshen up.”

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 10:47
Quote:
T-Bone
Are we going to see an unprecedented outbreak of harmony on caw, at least until the next loss and new dor appointment?

Naff off big nose.

10 April, 2018 11:34
Quote:
T-Bone

I like to think that everyone will get behind the new DOR and give them time to implement changes.

JK didn't get as much time from some (including me) because he was part of the setup before he arrived, and to be fair he's been given two years to show he's up to it anyway.

For me we're going to need to give the new man at least two seasons to make an impact and I certainly hope that there won't be knee-jerk reactions if things don't start perfectly.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 11:45
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
T-Bone

I like to think that everyone will get behind the new DOR and give them time to implement changes.

JK didn't get as much time from some (including me) because he was part of the setup before he arrived, and to be fair he's been given two years to show he's up to it anyway.

For me we're going to need to give the new man at least two seasons to make an impact and I certainly hope that there won't be knee-jerk reactions if things don't start perfectly.

It will depend on who gets the job. There are some on here (not aimed at you) who are likely to take every opportunity to criticise. Whether that's a way to have a dig at the club and/or Ellis, I can't say. But be prepared... some will be gracious enough to give the new incumbent time to bed in, whilst others may not.

10 April, 2018 11:49
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
T-Bone

It will depend on who gets the job. There are some on here (not aimed at you) who are likely to take every opportunity to criticise. Whether that's a way to have a dig at the club and/or Ellis, I can't say. But be prepared... some will be gracious enough to give the new incumbent time to bed in, whilst others may not.

To be fair I think you can support the DOR and the team whilst still being critical of how the club is being run.

Whoever we appoint, big big questions need to be asked about how Ellis has managed the initial recruitment of JK, and the subsequent decisions to then extend his contract and then effectively sack him.

But in terms of the DOR, even if you don't agree with the appointment, I think two seasons is a reasonable time before you can start saying you were right. The only caveat to that is that if we hire from within again, then the same will apply as did to JK.

Cookie (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 11:53
Agree it depends on who gets the job. If we go for another patch-up job (which I don't think we will), then some will struggle to get on side.

If they sweep out the other coaches that should also be falling on their swords and a new unit of quality comes in, then they'll be more likely to given more latitude (if needed).

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 12:02
Quote:
Quaking Quin
Having been one of the biggest critics of JK since his appointment as DoR I think I did put the redundancy into the correct perspective.
To be sacked from any job is a personal tragedy - irrespective of the rewards enjoyed in the position.

No doubt his payout is no more than the terms in his contract of employment dictated and reflected the senior post he held. The sum may be large to many but is unlikely to have been generous although it will be tax free.

Nonsense.

What do you do when your cat dies?

Steve_W (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 12:09
I have always liked JK, and am sorry to see him go. Had our injuries this year played out differently I suspect we would be having a very different conversation. Have we actually seen JK's team (the one he recruited) play yet? And now we will never know.

It is not what the fans think, the press or even the team, it is down to the club's owners that these decisions are made. I think JK had a fair crack of the whip, two seasons to show what his recruitment/coaching style could do, but he (and Quins) have been very unlucky. In the end, the owners have only got one button to press, and they have pressed it.

Good luck for the future John, I will miss you.

ironquin1886 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 16:44
Great news. I hope we get someone in early and hopefully we can all look forward to next season. I was dreading another season with JK in charge.

Dear John. Thanks for everything you have done over the last 15 years. The last 2 years were a bit rubbish. You have been a great servant to the club. I wish you all the best health and happiness for the future.

DazzaS (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 22:39
Interesting insight from a former player.

former player pays tribute to JK

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 22:58
Quote:
Battering Ram Winger
Good coach, never a DOR (not ruthless enough?), sadly the good memories of his work have been soured by the recent debacle.
Get the coaches out, too. A clean sweep.

Yep. Nice guy, great coach but even in that capacity, 17 years is too long. He's still well respected, hope he gets snapped up and is very successful in whatever he does next.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 23:00
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
T-Bone

I guess there will be 3 types of posters. Those who think the new appointment is a good one, those who don't but give him a chance to prove them wrong, and those who don't and won't. Not sure there's much wrong with any of those. I don't think people should be criticised for not rating a DoR.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 10:22
I'm just going to find a nice comfortable bit of Trellis to sit on for a couple of years.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 06:44
Turns out that JK decided to go a few weeks ago, according to this piece in the Torygraph.

jonf (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 07:14
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Turns out that JK decided to go a few weeks ago, according to this piece in the Torygraph.

I read the same. If he had decided then why did it take 2 weeks and a bit coincidental it followed the horror show versus Irish.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 08:39
Quote:
jonf
Quote:
Fearless Fred

I read the same. If he had decided then why did it take 2 weeks and a bit coincidental it followed the horror show versus Irish.

Not clear to me why it matters unless we’re keen to rob a nice man if his dignity. He’s not leaving until the end of the season so how would it have made any difference to the result?

Mayor West (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 08:53
It's possible it leaked out before the Irish game causing the poor performance then.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 08:59
Quote:
Mayor West
It's possible it leaked out before the Irish game causing the poor performance then.

You see, that's what worries me. If it had leaked it shows a disappointing level of mental toughness among the players.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net