09 April, 2018 21:51
I hear Zinzan's available?????

(Sm159)

Re: New DOR Rumour Thread
Quaking Quin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 22:28
Lancaster - do me a favour - dull and boring failed tactician
Ditto Cockerill and Mallinder.
Andy Robinson - all above and useless too.
Blackadder - been almost as bad for Bath as JK has been for Quins.
Deano - nice thought but he's had his time at the Stoop - move on.
O'Shea - not a serious suggestions - a disaster who quickly losses interest and whose sole ambition is the Irish DoR job.

The only option if Quins have any true ambition, is to throw the cheque book at Rob Baxter and his head coach Ally Heffer.

DOK (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 22:37
I don't want to see any more untried folk with no decent CV of doing it shoved into the job.
No people from Ealing, no Tom Williams, no wossisname from London Irish, no people stepping up from elsewhere. Get me a DOR with a history of success as a DOR or equivalent. It's no guarantee of success but it's better than this idea of throwing darts at a list of names. If they've ran a national team, that'll count, but don't give me another "well here's a name you've heard of, let's hope they can do the job".

If not Dean Richards, who has amply demonstrated his ability to make a success of the DOR role, then someone with equivalent pedigree. Preferably with premiership experience, but if sufficiently stellar success overseas, then that's fine too.

But please, we need a period of stability and success and the club needs to admit their penny pinching approach with the last DOR/coaches was a failure and be prepared to spend serious money for the right person.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 22:38
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
... not someone who coached Newbury or Georgia.

What have you got against Newbury and Georgia?

One's a barren, featureless hinterland where they speak funny, and the other's close to Russia.

Harsh, but fair.

BB

InsertQuinsPunHere (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 22:39
I don't understand why Baxter, an ex-Exeter player, who's been with them through thick and thin, guiding them to the very top, would want to come to Quins?

It seems illogical to me.

thomh (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 22:51
Gustard wouldn't leave England at this stage of the World Cup cycle, nor does he have any actual DoR experience.

If Kingston proves anything surely it's that being an effective coach doesn't necessarily translate into being effective at the top role, which has more of a management / HR slant to it. Would rather we went for someone with a clear track record at that.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 22:54
Tofty getting promoted after global search, with Minty in as head coach

blucherquin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 22:56
Quote:
Quaking Quin
Lancaster - do me a favour - dull and boring failed tactician
Ditto Cockerill and Mallinder.
Andy Robinson - all above and useless too.
Blackadder - been almost as bad for Bath as JK has been for Quins.
Deano - nice thought but he's had his time at the Stoop - move on.
O'Shea - not a serious suggestions - a disaster who quickly losses interest and whose sole ambition is the Irish DoR job.

The only option if Quins have any true ambition, is to throw the cheque book at Rob Baxter and his head coach Ally Heffer.

Leinster suggest you’re wide of the mark on Lancaste. You should hear the players talk about him, And anyway why would he leave one of the best clubs in the northern hemisphere to come to us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2018 23:04 by blucherquin.

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 23:16
We also need to remember there are different kinds of DoR.

It’s clear that better coaching is badly needed so bringing in a guy who spends little time involved in training probably wouldn’t help.

I’m quite in favour of Lancaster. He’s known to be hands on, the feedback from Leinster is excellent and I’m sure he will have learned from his World Cup experience. When our England contingent apparently didn’t endorse him, they probably didn’t think JK was the alternative. In any case, that group are at the end of their careers and given the way most of them have been playing, I’m not sure how much weight their opinions should hold.

Quaking Quin (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 23:18
Come one Blutcherquin - some perspective needed.

Lancaster is in the third tier of the coaching structure at Leinster as a 'senior' coach. He answers to Leo Cullen as 'Head' coach, who in turn is responsible to Guy Easterby, their Head of Rugby Operations.

Just because the players like him in his limited coaching role, it does not mean he has suddenly acquired the overall technical nous to be a DoR.

DOK (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 23:29
I don't mind a hands off DOR if the people he brings in competently cover all bases. Indeed, my view of it is Eddie Jones is weird for wanting to be England's DOR and attack coach. If you've been a coach, I can see the temptation. I think every manager has been in the situation where he feels like pushing the underling to one side and saying "Stand back there, let me sort this!".

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 23:35
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Jammy Git
I'm not sure about Lancaster. I thought he did well with England until he really didn't. His work with Leeds was nothing to write home about. He's highly rated at Leinster where he's not head coach.
Might work. Might not.

Sean O'Brien recently said he's the best coach he's played under. That was some statement.

We're looking for a DoR, not a coach.

I don't remember SOB saying that, but I do remember him slating the Lions coaching team... smiling smiley

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 23:36
Quote:
Bossman99
Genuine question re Edwards being at the game on Saturday - he was only about three rows behind me so we were asking it at the time, it’s even more pertinent now: why was he there? The only Welsh player in our squad was sitting right next to him in the stands. Can’t imagine he saw a team worth taking over, unless he thinks we’ve bottomed out and he can therefore only look good by comparison to the current regime.

He's been a defence coach for hire working with teams. Presumably he's been working for Irish.

Cookie (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 23:39
Quote:
Jammy Git
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Jammy Git
I'm not sure about Lancaster. I thought he did well with England until he really didn't. His work with Leeds was nothing to write home about. He's highly rated at Leinster where he's not head coach.
Might work. Might not.

Sean O'Brien recently said he's the best coach he's played under. That was some statement.

We're looking for a DoR, not a coach.

I don't remember SOB saying that, but I do remember him slating the Lions coaching team... smiling smiley

I wasn't putting him forward as DoR. At the time of the conversation, he was being put up as Head Coach, which I wholeheartedly agree with.

anddon83 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 23:42
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
I wouldn't be too disappointed with Mallinder, although not particularly excited. No to Andy Robinson.
I hope the club doesn't take any chances and gets a DOR with a proven track record as a DOR, not someone who coached Newbury or Georgia.

😂 so I guess you don’t like my suggestion of Milton Haig and Ben Ryan?? 😂

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 02:58
No!

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 04:26
We all seem to be missing out Toft, he is HC and surely has huge impact on what happens on he pitch and also the other coaches. He needs to be next to go and that is where I’d see Edwards coming in. I would like to see Lancaster as DOR.

Closer & Closer (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 08:04
Team performance is the reason we have been calling for change and currently only the DOR is going.

The reason I suggested Sanderson & Gustard is their innovation as coaches and ability to organise something Minty, Colin, Wiggy, NEV etc don't seem to have been able to do. The players have been asking for different voices and change and if JK didn't coach his input is likely to have been minimal.

We do need a new DOR but also new coaches.

I can't see Rob Baxter leaving Exeter he seems to be rooted in Devon and may not even be interested in England job let alone Quins.

Richard Cockerell seems to be a coach / DOR. Bomber mainly a coach, Deano maybe just a DOR......we need an experienced DOR and decent set of coaches to instigate the change that is necessary in what has been a too cosy environment.

Cookie (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 09:12
Quote:
Roaming Quin
We all seem to be missing out Toft, he is HC and surely has huge impact on what happens on he pitch and also the other coaches. He needs to be next to go and that is where I’d see Edwards coming in. I would like to see Lancaster as DOR.

Not in the slightest. Many (including myself) saying MM, CO and Easter need to go. Some saying all.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 09:28
The Torygraph fancies Wayne Smith of t'All blacks.

[tinyurl.com]

I really don't mind as long as he promises not to do the haka.

Monte (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 09:51
Won’t be Wayne Smith he is 60 and very sadly had a diagnosis of cancer which he is now fighting, so I don’t think now is the time for him to leave NZ

zandini (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 11:05
Jamie Jospeh. Currently with Japan but smashed it in super rugby. Tough as teak but plays running game. Ideal for us.

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 11:07
JJ would be really good.

10 April, 2018 11:15
Micheal Bradley - currently at Zebre, coached Edinburgh - been an Irish U21 coach -

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 12:31
Quote:
Nev's Left Boot
Micheal Bradley - currently at Zebre, coached Edinburgh - been an Irish U21 coach -

And regarded as an absolute bluffer by the Irish.

Zebre? Is that what we're aiming for?

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 12:33
Stephen Jones as Head Coach would be exactly what we need but he would be hard to poach from Scarlets given that Pivac is in line to succeed Gatland. Still worth a try as he’s turned Scarlets into an unbelievably good side and style would suit Quins.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 14:04
Quote:
Quaking Quin
Come one Blutcherquin - some perspective needed.
Lancaster is in the third tier of the coaching structure at Leinster as a 'senior' coach. He answers to Leo Cullen as 'Head' coach, who in turn is responsible to Guy Easterby, their Head of Rugby Operations.

Just because the players like him in his limited coaching role, it does not mean he has suddenly acquired the overall technical nous to be a DoR.

I didn’t say I want him as DoR - but just thought your assessment of him was a bit harsh. He’s been widely credited with having a huge hand in the way they’re playing this season.

arniepie (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 14:42
For what it’s worth my money is on Lancaster, would love to see dean Richards back as he still has unfinished business and he was chucked under the bus by a bunch of cowards at the club during blood gate which is why he would not return

TheSouthfields2 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 14:53
I agree that the last thing we need is another stop gap DOR and coaching team but equally I wouldn't expect a miracle turn around. If players want to leave let them go, better that than more highly paid passengers. I would love to see someone build a team for 2019/20 season around the younger talent that we seem to discover but rarely do they reach potential. Not Deano for me.

10 April, 2018 14:54
Quote:
quinsfan123
Stephen Jones as Head Coach would be exactly what we need

He'd always leave the ground at half time though, assuming he turned up in the first place.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 16:38
Quote:
DOK
I don't want to see any more untried folk with no decent CV of doing it shoved into the job.
No people from Ealing, no Tom Williams, no wossisname from London Irish, no people stepping up from elsewhere. Get me a DOR with a history of success as a DOR or equivalent. It's no guarantee of success but it's better than this idea of throwing darts at a list of names. If they've ran a national team, that'll count, but don't give me another "well here's a name you've heard of, let's hope they can do the job".

If not Dean Richards, who has amply demonstrated his ability to make a success of the DOR role, then someone with equivalent pedigree. Preferably with premiership experience, but if sufficiently stellar success overseas, then that's fine too.

But please, we need a period of stability and success and the club needs to admit their penny pinching approach with the last DOR/coaches was a failure and be prepared to spend serious money for the right person.

I agree with this. And no jaded old English coaches who have been successful in the past but have the same boring, stale ideas that worked a decade ago. A young, decent coach, preferably from NZ, with fresh ideas and a strong coaching side he can bring with him.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 18:03
Some good thoughts on what we want. I hope we're successful. It's a small pool of talent out there and those who will fit the bill can afford to be picky.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 18:08
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Some good thoughts on what we want. I hope we're successful. It's a small pool of talent out there and those who will fit the bill can afford to be picky.

True to a certain extent but I'd hope the pull of the Premiership helps us a fair amount. It's why I didn't really believe that we couldn't attract someone better when COS left.

To be honest though without knowing what our budget is it's very hard to know who we can be targeting.

Jonny_C (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 19:23
Nick Kennedy's available.

10 April, 2018 19:31
Quote:
Jonny_C

I'm concerned that Worthing or Hammersmith & Fulham may sign him up from under our noses.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 19:50
I bet we get someone that nobody would have thought of.

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 19:53
And Nick Kennedy was watching in the west stand on Saturday 😂

blucherquin (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 20:11
Quote:
ArchQuin
And Nick Kennedy was watching in the west stand on Saturday 😂

Yeah he was saying on the podcast he’s enjoying watching matches as a fan - and was having some meetings in France.

Mobbs (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 21:47
Sooner or later the likes of Ali Hepher, Rob Hunter and Alex Sanderson will have to step out of the shadows and take an DOR position.....make one of them an offer !

10 April, 2018 22:58
Not a lot of people thought CoS would be up to much......

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 23:57
Quote:
Jonny_C

So is Nigel Kennedy - and he can compose!

Cookie (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 12:40
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Jammy Git
Might work. Might not.

Should have read Jamie Heaslip, not O'Brien.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 23:04
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Jammy Git
Might work. Might not.

Should have read Jamie Heaslip, not O'Brien.

Ah okay.

I think Lancaster has his perfect job in Leinster. Gets to do all the stuff he wants to do, in a setup practically made for him, without any of the other responsibility or pressure. Isn't he still commuting from England?

DOK (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 09:37
I wonder, seeing the Andy Goode article, if Jake White might not be a good short term solution. Bring in a bit of structure and discipline and shake things up a bit. Agreed Montpellier wasn't a great success, but Springboks, Brumbies and Sharks were good entries on the CV. Remember Deano is seen as a failure at Grenoble (in fact both were basically caught in the middle of a players vs owner fight). His style may be a little limited long term, but just to cover one season (maybe two) until after RWC2019 and more coaches are available...

ChiddQuin (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 10:50
Quote:
DOK
I wonder, seeing the Andy Goode article, if Jake White might not be a good short term solution. Bring in a bit of structure and discipline and shake things up a bit. Agreed Montpellier wasn't a great success, but Springboks, Brumbies and Sharks were good entries on the CV. Remember Deano is seen as a failure at Grenoble (in fact both were basically caught in the middle of a players vs owner fight). His style may be a little limited long term, but just to cover one season (maybe two) until after RWC2019 and more coaches are available...

I think that's a very good thought DOK. Short term solution until the RWC is over. Jake White would be a great option. We need someone with high visibility and leadership.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 11:17
Just because things haven't worked recently doesn't mean we need to totally change our style of play. I can't think of a worse idea than bringing somebody in who's going to stay for one season and completely change our style of play. Jake white is the anti-quin.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 11:38
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Just because things haven't worked recently doesn't mean we need to totally change our style of play. I can't think of a worse idea than bringing somebody in who's going to stay for one season and completely change our style of play. Jake white is the anti-quin.

We do not have a style of play

DOK (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 12:23
If our style of play is to work (fast offloading game) then we need a serious jump in players' confidence and probably a bit of a jump in players skills coupled with overall better awareness. But worse is the fact we have no plan B when plan A doesn't work. You can see Nev and Co have tried to give us a kicking game for when the running game doesn't work, but how is that working out?

Sarries built their strength on grinding out wins, effective rugby if not pretty. Everyone knew where they were supposed to be and what they were doing. You can't apply that to Charlie Walker, he was responsible for the defensive lapses that let in three quick tries. We need a bedrock rugby game from which we can spring the attacking game when the oppo are tired or weaker than ourselves. But we need a rock hard defence when we play the kicking game else it's just passing possession back to the oppo!

I'd say our style of play needs to shake off this "Harlequin Way" stuff and get back into the real world. Once we're winning games we can start to worry about how much style we're showing!

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 14:03
White's style is out dated and about as entertaining as nasal hair trimming.

DOK (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 14:17
Isn't that what we used to say of Sarries' approach?

Stooperman (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 14:59
^^^ DOK, couldn't agree more.

This team has to start doing the basics well, learnign how to defencd how to grind out wins and win lineouts. After we have shown we can do the basics competently, we can maybe add some bells and whistles. At the moment, very little of our rugby shows much basic competence let alone anything else!

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 15:58
Seriously, there's nothing wrong with playing exciting rugby whilst doing the basics well. What do you think we did in 2012? Playing a creative brand of rugby does not mean you can't catch the ball.

12 April, 2018 16:32
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Seriously, there's nothing wrong with playing exciting rugby whilst doing the basics well. What do you think we did in 2012? Playing a creative brand of rugby does not mean you can't catch the ball.

Isn't the point that we need to earn the right to play creatively by getting the basics right first?

I agree that you can get the basics right and also play creative rugby, but I think there needs to be a focus on the basics first before we start trying to implement anything flashy.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 16:42
Agree. Our basics are pretty shocking at times. Give yourself a strong foundation to build on. Get the defence sorted and get the basics working. Lineout, maul etc. Then try throwing it around a bit

blucherquin (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 16:45
This “exciting rugby” thing really bothers me.

I get excited watching good quality rugby.

We don’t play that. We get lucky with the odd moment of high risk/reward creativity.

It’s failed us badly.

I’d like to see us learn how the modern breakdown works, learn how to have runners with impact that run lines to create space, and to have a pack that can maul.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 16:59
Quote:
RodneyRegis

Quite.

Jake white has transformed squads for the worse while also making them play cancerously negative rugby. Blah blah Saracens - his Montpellier side was like Sarries at the worst of the Hougaard days except without managing to be the sum of their parts. He did a lot of damage to that team

Mayor West (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 17:22
I don't think the players lose their skill it's just that they are lacking confidence or don't know or aren't comfortable with what they are coached to do. I don't know if it's a case of the coaches persevering too long with things that aren't working and the players loosing confidence and a downward spiral ensues. A coaching team needs to get the best from the squads ability and adapt to the way players are able to implement instructions. Minty said it was difficult for all the players to adapt to his defensive structure. Surely there comes a point where you have to go back to what the players can do instinctively . It could be the senior players not adapting in an old dog new tricks kind of way.
Whoever comes in and we are asking the All Blacks for recommendations apparently will have their work cut out.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 17:28
I have a feeling (that I hope is wrong), we will be a bit underwhelmed with whoever we appoint. We'll see I guess.

Either that or it will be someone unexpected, not mentioned on here. A bit out of the blue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2018 17:29 by HonkyTonk.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 17:49
Can't think of his name offhand but one of the management at Exeter was on the radio yesterday commenting on the departure of JK and saying that it was worrying that there were only 3 English DORs in the premiership now. Where is all the English talent and do clubs need to take a brave step and give somebody new a chance.

Cookie (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 18:16
Quote:
Mayor West
Can't think of his name offhand but one of the management at Exeter was on the radio yesterday commenting on the departure of JK and saying that it was worrying that there were only 3 English DORs in the premiership now. Where is all the English talent and do clubs need to take a brave step and give somebody new a chance.

Plenty have been saying it. It's the hot topic at the moment. DORs and coaches. Deano mentioned it on BT in an interview the other day.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 19:09
Problem is, at the moment I cant see anyone taking a gamble on someone. Next season is huge if the ring fencing comes in. The time would probably be the season after. 5 years of no relegation gives some a chance to build

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 19:36
Perhaps we should bring in Sam allardyce for the season.

12 April, 2018 20:01
We'd better start getting used to DORs getting the boot after a year or two if they don't win anything.

12 April, 2018 20:40
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
We'd better start getting used to DORs getting the boot after a year or two if they don't win anything.

Don't really see why.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 00:03
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

I think it's pretty early to say that's now a thing.

JK was almost a caretaker manager, Mallinder hung on forever, Mauger was a weird one, erm...

13 April, 2018 00:14
It might not be a thing right now but it looks like things are starting to head that way. Kennedy gone, JK got less than two years, Blackadder is under the cosh after less than 2 years.

Rocker (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 00:56
JK got 2 seasons, he got the boot when it was obvious that by the end of the second season we were going to be worse off. I suspect (although I don't know) that there may have been a bit of self immolation there as well. Kennedy was always on a bit of hiding to nothing, mugs game, taking the relegated Premiership side and not winning ND1 you'd have to be a pretty crappy coach/DOR, but the Prem is a diiferent beast and the same tactics, and squad won't neccessarily see you through. Blackadder has plenty of money, plenty of good players and somehow seems to be able to make less then the sum of their parts from them as a team. Similair to Quins recently. Any DOR/Coach who that is true of is always going to be in tronble.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 09:27
Quote:
Rocker
JK got 2 seasons, he got the boot when it was obvious that by the end of the second season we were going to be worse off.

But there will always be clubs that are worse off after two seasons.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 10:12
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Rocker
JK got 2 seasons, he got the boot when it was obvious that by the end of the second season we were going to be worse off.

What's your point?

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 10:39
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Rocker

What's your point?

Surely you can work it out? Follow the thread, it's simple.

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 13:19
Another couple of names from the Rumour Mill ...

However, The Mail have suggested that the London club will appoint a coach from the southern hemisphere. They have reported that it could be the All Blacks who are drafting the list of successors for John Kingston.

Current Crusaders’ Head Coach Scott Robertson could be in the sights if this is true. It is entirely plausible that the All Black’s could be eyeing up Robertson as a potential successor to Steve Hansen, so gaining experience is a must in the northern hemisphere.

Elsewhere in New Zealand, there is only one Head Coach who hasn’t been in their post since the start of this Super Rugby season, or already leaving. That Head Coach being the Auckland Blues’ Tana Umaga.

[www.talkingrugbyunion.co.uk]

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 14:29
Umaga (at least according to this comment piece) hasn't really done that well in charge of the Blues...

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 11:01
The Blues have major issues that are beyond the help of a single person, I think.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 14:02
I would like to start a new rumour that there are no rumours about who is going to be the new man at the top.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 16:13
Quote:
Mayor West
I would like to start a new rumour that there are no rumours about who is going to be the new man at the top.

Sadly that’s the truth. There are no rumours coz there’s no buzz about being the Quins DOR.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net