rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Sloan Leaving Confirmed
Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 15:23
HARLEQUINS HAS TODAY CONFIRMED THAT CENTRE HARRY SLOAN WILL LEAVE HARLEQUINS AT THE END OF THE SEASON TO JOIN EALING TRAILFINDERS.

Sloan, 23, said “I want to thank Harlequins for everything the Club has done for me. My time at Quins has been amazing. There is a really good bunch of boys here and I wish them all the best for the future. I am now looking forward to a fresh start at Ealing.”

Director of Rugby John Kingston commented: "Harry has made a notable contribution to Harlequins since he graduated from the Academy in 2012. We were delighted to see him progress to first team, and win the Nick Duncombe Young Player of the Season Award in 2015/16.

“His energy and determination will be missed at the Club but we wish him every success with his next move.”

Re: Sloan Leaving Confirmed
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 15:31
A real shame as he looked like he had the potential to be a first-team regular for Quins.

Obviously the injury has taken its toll, and I suppose the only positive is that he's still playing rugby and hasn't been forced to retire.

All the best to him at Sexual Ealing.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 15:54
Not just him. Guy Armitage and Packman also joining. They are going to be a pretty good side next season

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 15:59
Still reckon he's a premiership centre. His major flaw was his defence, which had improved massively before his long lay-off.

Fursty (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 16:15
Given that we're losing Roberts, Sloan and Stanley and have only announced that we're bringing in Tapuai, does this mean another centre is likely?

I think next season we currently have:

Tapuai
Saili
Marchant
Cheeseman
Lang
Alofa (at a push)

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 16:25
Walker's also considered a backup 13.

12 April, 2018 16:30
Quote:
Fursty
Given that we're losing Roberts, Sloan and Stanley and have only announced that we're bringing in Tapuai, does this mean another centre is likely?
I think next season we currently have:

Tapuai
Saili
Marchant
Cheeseman
Lang
Alofa (at a push)

Does look a bit light, although depends a lot on whether Cheeseman and Lang can continue to progress.

This is presumably why we've allegedly been looking at Te'o.

ACQuins (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 16:32
Best of luck to young Harry. Always a shame to see a graduate leave.

I think in terms of 13 we're ok: Marchant, Saili, Tapuai, Lang, Alofa, Walker, Cheeseman, Ibitoye and Hennessey can all play there to various degrees of ability and experience.

We're definitely light at 12 though. As it stands we only really have Saili, Tapuai and Lang who can play there.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 16:33
Murley and Hennesey in the academy (although not sure if Murley is more of a winger). Lets face it though, Sloan and Stanley have hardly played this season so numbers wise its not.much different

blucherquin (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 16:41
Lovely idea that we’ll be signing anyone else for next year. Can’t see how that’ll happen.

12 April, 2018 16:44
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Murley and Hennesey in the academy (although not sure if Murley is more of a winger). Lets face it though, Sloan and Stanley have hardly played this season so numbers wise its not.much different

Numbers wise you're right, but I still don't think that means we're covered.

Alofa isn't a natural centre, and he's played there a fair bit this season (particularly earlier in the season), and I think without Roberts (for all his faults) we're light on options at 12.

12 April, 2018 16:45
Quote:
blucherquin
Lovely idea that we’ll be signing anyone else for next year. Can’t see how that’ll happen.

Does seem fairly unlikely I agree.

Quite apart from the JK situation, it's pretty late in the day to be making any more signings now, and with a 'lame-duck' DOR, you assume nothing would be sanctioned anyway until we've picked a replacement (which based on past efforts will presumably take a while).

blucherquin (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 16:51
Yeah quite - search may well be “underway” but big name player deals are done and having too much cannon fodder is already our problem.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 17:03
Shame he's going, thought he looked like a really decent centre. Maybe if he can play regularly and develop at Ealing he might end up coming back.

We should not be going into a season counting Walker as 13 cover, or Ross Chisholm. Just because they can in an emergency is not the point. We are short of proper centres. Only 3 I think who are proper, recognised centres - Marchant, Saili and Tapuai. Then Lang as a 10/12/15, Cheeseman recently converted from a flanker/wing to centre, so hardly an experienced centre and Alofa, a 13/wing

Mayor West (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 17:29
Maybe some players from NZ coming over which is why we seem to be letting more go than we are getting in.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 19:45
Quote:
ACQuins
I think in terms of 13 we're ok: Marchant, Saili, Tapuai, Lang, Alofa, Walker, Cheeseman, Ibitoye and Hennessey can all play there to various degrees of ability and experience.

We're definitely light at 12 though. As it stands we only really have Saili, Tapuai and Lang who can play there.

Lang no, walker no, cheesman no, Hennessy no. None of these are ap level 13s. If rather saili and tapui played 12 as well.

Players being able to fill in during an emergency does not mean we have sufficient cover.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 20:28
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
ACQuins

Lang no, walker no, cheesman no, Hennessy no. None of these are ap level 13s. If rather saili and tapui played 12 as well.

Players being able to fill in during an emergency does not mean we have sufficient cover.

Think you'll find Cheeseman more at 12 than 13. FWIW he was a centre before his backrow and wing 'adventures', has gone full circle now

DOK (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 20:41
Read today they new DOR will be announced before the end of next month. Suspect, given the people like Kennedy, Edwards round the Stoop lately, the search may have began a few weeks back.

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 20:57
How do Lang, Hennesey and Cheeseman become AP level 13's??? If they don't play - personally think Hennessey has some skills...

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 22:36
Quote:
Nev's Left Boot
How do Lang, Hennesey and Cheeseman become AP level 13's??? If they don't play - personally think Hennessey has some skills...

How does Joe marler become an AP level 10 if he doesn't play? Lang and cheeseman are not 13s. Hennessy maybe, but not for a couple of seasons.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 22:51
Smith done ok when given a chance. 3 nothing games left this season. Id play lang at 12

thomh (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 01:28
Looked like a huge prospect in the u20s and in bursts at Premiership level. A shame how it's turned out for him injury-wise but, given that I think we were half-expecting the next announcement to be forced retirement, good news that he's got a move. Don't know much about Ealing but people says it's a really good club.

Wole (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 07:41
Shame. Always hoped he and Marchant would forge a partnership. Hope he has better luck at Ealing.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 11:46
Heard from a mate who knows Hennessy well that his contract hasn’t been renewed.
In my view Saili and Marchant would be my first choice centre pairing for next season. That said Cheeseman and Lang are both really talented players who have shown promise this season, if they continue to develop we could have some really good options at 12 in seasons to come.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 11:46
Heard from a mate who knows Hennessy well that his contract hasn’t been renewed.
In my view Saili and Marchant would be my first choice centre pairing for next season. That said Cheeseman and Lang are both really talented players who have shown promise this season, if they continue to develop we could have some really good options at 12 in seasons to come.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net