rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Squad update for 2018/2019
DazzaS (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 14:37
Marler signed an extension? Probably did it last Tuesday morning!

AS THE 2017/18 SEASON DRAWS TO A CLOSE HARLEQUINS CAN CONFIRM A FULL SQUAD UPDATE FOR 2018/19, WHICH INCLUDES FIVE NEW SIGNINGS AND NEW DEALS FOR A HOST OF FIRST-TEAM PLAYERS.

Adding international class to an already stellar backs division, centre Ben Tapuai joins from Bath and Nathan Earle from Saracens. In the forwards, Max Crumpton (Bristol Rugby) has already arrived at the club, with Nick Auterac (Bath) and Alex Dombrandt (Cardiff Met) soon set to provide further competition in the pack.

The Club is also delighted to announce that Chris Robshaw, James Horwill, Joe Marler, Marcus Smith and Tim Visser have signed new contracts along with 15 others.

Meanwhile the much-anticipated return of Renaldo Bothma from a broken arm next season will provide a huge boost to the side, after a frustrating first year at the Club. Similarly, Demetri Catrakilis and Francis Saili will be raring to go after injuries severely disrupted 2017/18, limiting both to just a handful of appearances.

Harlequins also has some goodbyes to make as players embark on the next step of their journeys. The Club acknowledges and applauds the immense contributions of hooker Joe Gray and second rows Sam Twomey and Charlie Matthews, wishing them well for the future.

In addition we thank Jamie Roberts, Charlie Piper and Harry Sloan for their service and wish them good luck with their careers. The Club also thanks Sam Aspland-Robinson, Jake Hennessey, Cameron Holenstein and John Okafor for all they have done during their time with us.

Harlequins also pays tribute to two players who have announced their retirements from playing this season. We are very grateful to Winston Stanley, who retired on medical grounds, while the Club is also delighted that Adam Jones will be joining the coaching staff full-time next season.

Any further signings will be announced at the appropriate time.

Harlequins Squad Update

Re-signings

Marcus Smith
Tim Visser
Chris Robshaw
James Horwill
Joe Marler
Dave Ward
Joe Marchant
Will Collier
Rob Buchanan
Stan South
Charlie Mulchrone
James Lang
Aaron Morris
Archie White
Dino Lamb
Gabriel Ibitoye
Henry Cheeseman
Josh McNulty
Josh Ibuanokpe
Calum Waters

New Signings for 2018/19

Ben Tapuai
Nathan Earle
Nick Auterac
Alex Dombrandt
Max Crumpton

Players leaving at the end of the 2017/18 season

Sam Aspland-Robinson
Joe Gray
Cameron Holenstein
Jake Hennessey
Charlie Matthews
John Okafor
Charlie Piper
Jamie Roberts
Harry Sloan
Sam Twomey

Retirements

Adam Jones – appointed as Assistant Forwards Coach
Winston Stanley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 14:37 by DazzaS.

Re: Squad update for 2018/2019
Rugby Convert (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 14:55
No more signings for next season then. With Matthews and Twomey leaving I feel we are still light in the second row, although I'm hoping Alex Dombrandt can make an impact.

Would like to mention the departing Joe Gray for the great service he gave to the club, always thought he was a good player. Slighlty sad to see Sloan leave as he had potential and without injury would have been battling Roberts for the 12 shirt.

Also interesting the club gave no mention of where some of the departing players are off to, I will be looking out for where those guys end up.

Anyway I feel the only way is up for next season, just wish September was next week so we could write the wrongs immediately.

COYQ

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:02
Why no more signings for next season??

"Any further signings will be announced at the appropriate time."

akb1 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:04
Quote:
Rugby Convert
No more signings for next season then. With Matthews and Twomey leaving I feel we are still light in the second row, although I'm hoping Alex Dombrandt can make an impact.
Would like to mention the departing Joe Gray for the great service he gave to the club, always thought he was a good player. Slighlty sad to see Sloan leave as he had potential and without injury would have been battling Roberts for the 12 shirt.

Also interesting the club gave no mention of where some of the departing players are off to, I will be looking out for where those guys end up.

Anyway I feel the only way is up for next season, just wish September was next week so we could write the wrongs immediately.

COYQ

euroquin (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:15
Based on that I'd expect to see signings of another lock and another centre at the least. I thought Lambert was also going to re-sign too.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:17
Sad that we didn't see much of Holenstein. Also thought Piper looked good in his brief appearances. I do think we'll miss Matthews, especially in the lineout.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:17
Any more potential new signings will be dependent on i) The incoming player waiting to see who the new DoR will be and ii) the new DoR wanting to have some say over who is joining the squad, so I'd guess there'll be a moratorium on announcement of signings until the new DoR is announced.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:21
We won’t have any signings until the new DoR. And by then there won’t be any big business left to do. We don’t need more “squad” players.

BUT no mention of Care and Brown - pretty sure their contracts are up. Anyone help me here?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:46
Marler's contract extension was announced last August - it's until 2021.
Visser's announced in January -- until 2020.
Robshaw also announced in Aug 17 - until 2020.
Horwill's was in 2016 -- until 2020...

Not entirely clear why they're making out like it's news.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:56
The new signings seem to me to roughly equate to:

Ben Tapuai - Replacing Roberts
Nathan Earle - Replacing Yarde
Nick Auterac - Replacing Holenstein?
Alex Dombrandt - Replacing Matthews
Max Crumpton - Replacing Gray

Looked at it that way I'm not sure the squad has been improved dramatically, if at all, at this stage.

Tapuai will hopefully be a more permanent member of the squad than Roberts, and Auterac seems to offer us a better option at prop.

But Earle is only on the same level as Yarde, Dombrandt will hopefully eclipse Matthews but is very unlikely to be ready to that next season, and Crumpton is presumably now our 4th choice hooker.

Of course there's still time to bring in more players when the new DOR comes in (although it will be very limited time) and hopefully we'll actually see some improvement through coaching next season, but if not then I don't think our acquisitions yet will make us much stronger.

16 April, 2018 15:58
We went through the Brown/Care contract extensions earlier in the season, I thought. They both signed "long term extensions" to their contracts in December '15. Assuming that these extensions came into effect from the start of the following season (as they usually do) that would mean that the extensions started in the '16/17 season. As they were mentioned as Long Term, that suggests more than 2 seasons, so they are quite likely with us until the end of next season. Plus, as has already been mentioned a number of times, while they are still in the England mix, neither will want to go overseas before the RWC. EJ still sees DC as one of his two first choice SHs, particularly in the Finisher role. So far the only other decent FB in the England squad is Daly, but whether EJ wants to pin him there instead of using him as a Swiss Army Knife covering a range of positions is unknown.

Stoopendous (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:05
Charlie Walker??

T-Bone (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:06
Confirms most of the rumours.

Not that I expect them to give us reasons, but, assuming they were released rather than having already been approached by other clubs, I wonder why promising players such as Okafor and Aspland-Robinson were let go.

Sloan and Twomey I assume went due to injuries. Shame, as I think we are losing two quality players.

Mixed feelings about some of those leaving. Depends a lot of who is replacing them.

Suppose you always need squad players for training, injury emergencies, A games, etc, but always slightly frustrating when we release players who have basically never featured, so you wonder why they were signed in the first place. Thinking of Holenstein here, but there have been others before. I know he's been injured, but seems to have been a fairly pointless signing.

Anyway, good to get an update. You wonder if a new DoR would have let some of the players go and re-signed others, but I guess that's an unavoidable issue. I know JK always moaned about it not being his squad, so suppose new DoR will have same excuse (though I still find it very hard to believe JK had no input on previous signings, even if he didn't have the final say).

16 April, 2018 16:11
Re Walker, he had a contract he signed in Feb '15 that took him to the end of the 16/17 season. He signed a new contract (length unknown) in August '16. I'd doubt it was just a 1 year extension...

Squad Update 2018/19
WellingQuin (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 14:28
AS THE 2017/18 SEASON DRAWS TO A CLOSE HARLEQUINS CAN CONFIRM A FULL SQUAD UPDATE FOR 2018/19, WHICH INCLUDES FIVE NEW SIGNINGS AND NEW DEALS FOR A HOST OF FIRST-TEAM PLAYERS.

Adding international class to an already stellar backs division, centre Ben Tapuai joins from Bath and Nathan Earle from Saracens. In the forwards, Max Crumpton (Bristol Rugby) has already arrived at the club, with Nick Auterac (Bath) and Alex Dombrandt (Cardiff Met) soon set to provide further competition in the pack.

The Club is also delighted to announce that Chris Robshaw, James Horwill, Joe Marler, Marcus Smith and Tim Visser have signed new contracts along with 15 others.

Meanwhile the much-anticipated return of Renaldo Bothma from a broken arm next season will provide a huge boost to the side, after a frustrating first year at the Club. Similarly, Demetri Catrakilis and Francis Saili will be raring to go after injuries severely disrupted 2017/18, limiting both to just a handful of appearances.

Harlequins also has some goodbyes to make as players embark on the next step of their journeys. The Club acknowledges and applauds the immense contributions of hooker Joe Gray and second rows Sam Twomey and Charlie Matthews, wishing them well for the future.

In addition we thank Jamie Roberts, Charlie Piper and Harry Sloan for their service and wish them good luck with their careers. The Club also thanks Sam Aspland-Robinson, Jake Hennessey, Cameron Holenstein and John Okafor for all they have done during their time with us.

Harlequins also pays tribute to two players who have announced their retirements from playing this season. We are very grateful to Winston Stanley, who retired on medical grounds, while the Club is also delighted that Adam Jones will be joining the coaching staff full-time next season.

Harlequins Squad Update

Re-signings

Marcus Smith
Tim Visser
Chris Robshaw
James Horwill
Joe Marler
Dave Ward
Joe Marchant
Will Collier
Rob Buchanan
Stan South
Charlie Mulchrone
James Lang
Aaron Morris
Archie White
Dino Lamb
Gabriel Ibitoye
Henry Cheeseman
Josh McNulty
Josh Ibuanokpe
Calum Waters

New Signings for 2018/19

Ben Tapuai
Nathan Earle
Nick Auterac
Alex Dombrandt
Max Crumpton

Players leaving at the end of the 2017/18 season

Sam Aspland-Robinson
Joe Gray
Cameron Holenstein
Jake Hennessey
Charlie Matthews
John Okafor
Charlie Piper
Jamie Roberts
Harry Sloan
Sam Twomey

Retirements

Adam Jones – appointed as Assistant Forwards Coach
Winston Stanley

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 19:56
Quote:
talkshowhost86

Of course there's still time to bring in more players when the new DOR comes in (although it will be very limited time) and hopefully we'll actually see some improvement through coaching next season, but if not then I don't think our acquisitions yet will make us much stronger.

We already have a strong squad. They just aren't playing well.

On the point about players who haven't featured, I wonder if that's to free up salary? Some may be academy grads who will now command more money which might be better spent elsewhere; others could be squad players who are deemed surplus to likely needs - Holenstein and Piper for example - and hence the money might be better used on fewer, better players?

Mayor West (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 21:12
Maybe the players just get offered more to play at another club and we can't find the extra money to keep them. Or don't think they're worth it. It must be incredibly difficult to keep to a salary cap with so many overlapping contracts.

18 April, 2018 12:46
From Elia Elia's feed on Instagram, he's suggesting that Piper is heading down to NZ...

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 13:00
Quote:
Fearless Fred
From Elia Elia's feed on Instagram, he's suggesting that Piper is heading down to NZ...

Perhaps he'll come back then, as part of the Kiwi exchange - although it that was the case, I'm sure the Club would have "fanfared" it...

Candelamaria (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 20:46
Now confirmed that Sam Aspland-Robinson is Tiger bound!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net