Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Stoop update
blucherquin (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:24
From the club:

Harlequins has committed to creating a fantastic mixed-use destination at The Stoop with a new state-of-the-art stadium at its heart.

As a leading London rugby club for over 150 years, we have always been proud to innovate, both on and off the field – bringing the belief in the power of sport to change lives.

We have always aspired to be something bigger than a rugby club, so we are now embarking on one of the most exciting and important projects in the Club’s history, to secure a sustainable future for
Harlequins at The Stoop.

This is a hugely ambitious and pioneering development opportunity for the Club and one we need to get right. In the coming months we will be consulting the community on our plans, ensuring all our neighbours, fans and interested parties have their say.

As part of this, we have now launched our Quins Vision project website which will host new information about the development when available, as well as details of how you can stay up-to-date as part of our ongoing consultation.

CLICK HERE
QUINS VISION WEBSITE

[quinsvision.co.uk]

We have an opportunity to create something truly special for our community, fans and affiliate clubs - while making a significant and positive social, cultural and economic impact on the local area.

We look forward to working closely with you all to realise that ambition and would like to know how you would like to participate in this process. To let us know your thoughts and to be kept up-to-date:

Email us here.
Visit Quins Vision
Register for updates *Please note, to receive further Quins Vision emails and updates, you are required to register.
To view our latest The Quarters Post community newsletter click here.

Kind regards

Quins Vision Project Team

Re: New Stoop update
DazzaS (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:27
Basically bringing together all the information that has already been announced.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:29
For those likely to comment before reading the details - here’s what the website says about the stadium plan

To position Harlequins at the centre of the local community for the next 150 years

Harlequins has been part of the local community for over a century and a resident at The Stoop for the last 54 years. We are proud to call the Borough of Richmond upon Thames our home.
We are also in a privileged position that our established identity and expertise allows us to reach beyond the world of rugby. This development opportunity will enable us to grow our already burgeoning community initiatives, such as the influential Harlequins Foundation.
Through the Club and the Harlequins Foundation, we aim to combine the power of sport with the spirit, expertise and experience of Harlequins to shape a masterplan that all our communities can benefit from, based around the core values of Health and Wellness, Education and Training, and Innovation and Technology.
We want to remain an integral part of the community for the next 150 years. By continually challenging ourselves and seeking to improve, we can evolve as a club both on the field and off it, and can use this development as a catalyst to contribute even more to the local area and beyond.

To deliver a state-of-the-art stadium for our supporters
The Stoop is a much-loved stadium but is outdated and not suitable for modern requirements – as such it incurs large capital expenditure to maintain and keep it up to the high standards expected by our supporters and visitors. With nearly 10,000 members, The Stoop is also at 98% stadium capacity at Aviva Premiership games throughout the season.
The requirement to upgrade our famous home therefore opens up an exciting opportunity to create a new state-of-the-art stadium for our supporters, visitors and most importantly, for the Harlequins’ teams, that evokes the famous Harlequins’ spirit throughout.
Enhanced amenities and an iconic stadium design will help create the very best matchday experience for our fantastic supporters, while improved modern facilities for players and staff would be tailored to help them perform to the highest standards. We want to provide the best possible environment for Harlequins to succeed against the world’s best, ultimately winning more trophies for this great club.
While there is a real need to modernise our home, we are aware of the affection there is towards The Stoop and understand how important our history is. This is not about throwing away our past, but is instead a necessary evolution for Harlequin FC.

To ensure the long-term growth of Harlequins
This project will deliver long-term financial stability, thereby ensuring a self-sustaining future for Harlequins.
Our number one goal is to be the greatest club in the world. We need to have excellent, modern facilities to recruit the best players to grow the team and consistently compete amongst rugby’s elite. We also want to provide the best possible service to our sponsors and partners, as well as attracting new ones, all of whom require improved assets and value from their investment.
By delivering a new neighbourhood with a state-of-the-art stadium at its heart, and continually expanding our contribution to the local area, we can ensure we lead the conversation of what a rugby club should be, both on the pitch and off it. It will allow us to both grow as a club, and as a vital member of this community, as well as attract more people to enjoy the game that we love, all while ensuring the future sustainability for Harlequins.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:47
Well if nothing else that will stop the concerns that we'll be moving elsewhere.

Imagine this will be a long and at times frustrating project, but it seems like they are serious about making it a success.

Time will tell what impact the money required to complete the project will have on the playing side of things.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:53
They'll need to revise the 98% at stadium capacity figure after this season's disappointing crowd numbers.

DOK. (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:58
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
They'll need to revise the 98% at stadium capacity figure after this season's disappointing crowd numbers.

Not if previous history is anything to go by. For whatever reasons, Mark Evans managed to build the crowd numbers in the teeth of some consistently bad performances and so far we haven't seen the numbers drop since winning the prem way back. Indeed wasn't it this season we hit an all time record for season tickets?

New stadium
Stoopendous (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:28
Just received a puff-piece from the club on the Stoop vision (community focus, new stadiun etc) customerexperience@quins-comms.co.uk

All looks great and very inclusive but I would hate to see a running/riding/dog (!?) track round the outside of the ground with the first row of seats miles from the touchline. This is my initial and selfish consideration (having misguidedly committed to another year on the rollercoaster).

Now all the effort of reading between the lines.

Wole (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:10
If they're going to rebuild the whole thing, what would you like the stadium to be? I've not been there, but the Clermont stadium looks great on TV. Would also love a side terrace like Leicester/Northampton, but I imagine that's unlikely.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:13
In the shape of Adrian Stoop’s left testicle?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:18
What a load of balls.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Robertquin (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:58
Nothing we didn't really know already.

TW Quin (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 19:12
"The Stoop is a much-loved stadium but is outdated and not suitable for modern requirements – as such it incurs large capital expenditure to maintain and keep it up to the high standards expected by our supporters and visitors".

Apart from the North Stand I would imagine the other stands and the catering areas are suitable for a much more reasonably priced face lift or refurbishment - not being a killjoy just wondering?

Squid (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:35
As this is the ambition: "Our number one goal is to be the greatest club in the world", then dramatic change is needed from the current set up.

So a strategy that capitalises on earning much bigger income from being based in one of most prosperous cities in the world makes sense.

Many questions remain, but the ambition is welcome.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 21:03
Quote:
DOK
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

Not if previous history is anything to go by. For whatever reasons, Mark Evans managed to build the crowd numbers in the teeth of some consistently bad performances and so far we haven't seen the numbers drop since winning the prem way back. Indeed wasn't it this season we hit an all time record for season tickets?

2/10 prem games sold out and an average crowd of 13,211 this season, against 7/9 sell outs and an average of 14,570 last season.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 21:38
If you build it, they will come....

Her indoors Quin (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 21:57
I have not ventured to comment before and apologies for any lack of cultural fit with the board but this “Vision” email from the club really exasperated a patient other half supporter. Firstly, it does not have the honesty to admit that the proposals are essentially a property deal. Secondly, in all my years of business I have never seen such dreadful marketing timing or such inappropriate tone. Any enhanced match day experience is irrelevant when the first team pitch up without any hope or heart at season ticket renewal time. We are attracting national press attention for all the wrong reasons, e.g. Times podcast casting us in a far worse light than Northampton or Bath. For once, could not the CEO consider the power of a well written letter to paying and loyal supporters, acknowledging poor performance, asking for patience and setting out what he will have achieved by the opening game of next season. Existing customers are so much easier to keep than replace. In good and bad times there should surely be mutual respect and loyalty between a club and it’s supporters.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 22:08
I think you mistake a modern business supporting a loss making rugby club for Old Guildfordians First Team.

D-Quins (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 22:36
The logic for wasps move to the Ricoh arena was that the ground investment needs to be used more to generate money. The stoop is hardly used I guess that is what they are trying to do and if you have 10000 seats going spare you can find ways to sell them I am sure. Have bring your Grandma for Free days etc.

The point is the stoop is used for 16-20 days year, it needs to be earning money 200 days a year. We can't build a Hotel on the side like the big stoop or the reading car park, so we need to make money from corporate meetings/play groups/train spotting groups etc, anyone with brass in their pockets!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 07:34
Quote:
Her indoors Quin
I have not ventured to comment before and apologies for any lack of cultural fit with the board but this “Vision” email from the club really exasperated a patient other half supporter. Firstly, it does not have the honesty to admit that the proposals are essentially a property deal. Secondly, in all my years of business I have never seen such dreadful marketing timing or such inappropriate tone. Any enhanced match day experience is irrelevant when the first team pitch up without any hope or heart at season ticket renewal time. We are attracting national press attention for all the wrong reasons, e.g. Times podcast casting us in a far worse light than Northampton or Bath. For once, could not the CEO consider the power of a well written letter to paying and loyal supporters, acknowledging poor performance, asking for patience and setting out what he will have achieved by the opening game of next season. Existing customers are so much easier to keep than replace. In good and bad times there should surely be mutual respect and loyalty between a club and it’s supporters.

Couldn’t disagree more. If this is the financial plan to keep the club going then it can’t wait for the playing team to sort itself out. Of course it’s a property deal - it’s building a new stadium.

never sleep (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 07:56
This is a major investment. You can't put in on hold due to a poor result on the field. There is probably a communication timeline and meetings with investors set up, etc.
I think that the Stoop struggles with crowds at AP games. The queues at the toilets in the South Stand are so long that going at 1/2 time is an issue. There are large outdoor areas for food and drink that are great on a sunny day - but no good on a rainy day. The Queens Head bar is too small.
Also, from a commercial point of view, there are too many "low value" seats in the North and South Stands and not enough "premium" seats in the East and West - - basically, we make more money out of the East and West stands than the North and South even though the number of seats is similar. Therefore, just extending the North stand would be just papering over the cracks and would probably not increase numbers or earnings.
I want:
1. more toilets
2. bigger bars
3. TVs that are big enough to see (behind the sticks would be good).
4. A bigger Kings bar with a proper stage so that we could see the band
5. A raised front row of seats so that we can see over the promenaders.
6. More legroom for the seats in the East stand.
7. A clubhouse for Quinsa
8. A museum
9. A large indoor cafeteria/coffee shop
10. wider pavements outside the ground for pedestrian access
11. speed bumps and traffic calming access road from the a316 to make drivers slow down

that's all for now :-)

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 08:14
Quote:
never sleep
This is a major investment. You can't put in on hold due to a poor result on the field. There is probably a communication timeline and meetings with investors set up, etc.
I think that the Stoop struggles with crowds at AP games. The queues at the toilets in the South Stand are so long that going at 1/2 time is an issue. There are large outdoor areas for food and drink that are great on a sunny day - but no good on a rainy day. The Queens Head bar is too small.
Also, from a commercial point of view, there are too many "low value" seats in the North and South Stands and not enough "premium" seats in the East and West - - basically, we make more money out of the East and West stands than the North and South even though the number of seats is similar. Therefore, just extending the North stand would be just papering over the cracks and would probably not increase numbers or earnings.
I want:
1. more toilets
2. bigger bars
8. A museum
11. speed bumps and traffic calming access road from the a316 to make drivers slow down

I'd agree with pretty much all of this. The toilet issue is just as bad at the north end at the moment. There's the small loos in the West Stand North that have to cater for half the West & Half the North Stands, while the facilities at the North End of the East stand do the same job for the remaining North Stand & half the East Stand. Yes, there are loos in the Kings Bar & Players bar, but the Players bar ones are sometimes out of use if there's Corporate Hostility in there.
The food Village is certainly an improvement over the last few years, with the range of offerings & location away from the gates. Instead of a permanent roof over it, I'd like it to still be able to be open to the sun on those rare days that it's shining.
Permanent Screens shouldn't be an issue in a new-build like this. As TMOs are now required at all games, screens are going to be required for the Ref to see the review. I think the only reason we haven't had fixed screens so far is the design of the Stoop at the moment.
I'd guess that all the bar/entertainment venues in the New Stoop will be designed to try to make people want to stay loner after games, as well as the potential for being used on non-matchdays. Maybe regular band nights throughout the year...
I'd also like to see them design the stadium so it can be used as a concert venue more often. The two gigs last year were obviously a trial run to see if they could market music. A 25k venue would be a good size for bands/artists that can't sell out a 70k stadium, but would sell out smaller venues. It would also offer a replacement for the old Earls Court as a venue in the West of London that is larger than existing theatre/nusic venues. Another revenue stream to help the club finances...

never sleep (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 08:53
I am not used to people agreeing with me :-)

If we had enough land, etc and we were looking at a long term vision and we could have anything then - I would add:
a. Have a second field that we could use for amature games, ladies, games, minis etc.
b. relocate the training facilities back to the Stoop
c. have a large sports facility with a swimming pool, squash and badminton courts - This could increase the "brand" to other sports teams in a similar way to the way that the French teams work.
d. open a full time pub (Harlequins themed)
e. build a pedestrian tunnel under the a316 to capitalise on matches at the Big Stoop
The sports and gym facilities would be shared with the college.

Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 08:58
Quote:
never sleep

I want:

1. more toilets
2. bigger bars

Do away with (2) you wouldn't need (1)

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:02
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
never sleep
I want:
1. more toilets
2. bigger bars
8. A museum

I'd agree with pretty much all of this. The toilet issue is just as bad at the north end at the moment. There's the small loos in the West Stand North that have to cater for half the West & Half the North Stands, while the facilities at the North End of the East stand do the same job for the remaining North Stand & half the East Stand. Yes, there are loos in the Kings Bar & Players bar, but the Players bar ones are sometimes out of use if there's Corporate Hostility in there.
The food Village is certainly an improvement over the last few years, with the range of offerings & location away from the gates. Instead of a permanent roof over it, I'd like it to still be able to be open to the sun on those rare days that it's shining.
Permanent Screens shouldn't be an issue in a new-build like this. As TMOs are now required at all games, screens are going to be required for the Ref to see the review. I think the only reason we haven't had fixed screens so far is the design of the Stoop at the moment.
I'd guess that all the bar/entertainment venues in the New Stoop will be designed to try to make people want to stay loner after games, as well as the potential for being used on non-matchdays. Maybe regular band nights throughout the year...
I'd also like to see them design the stadium so it can be used as a concert venue more often. The two gigs last year were obviously a trial run to see if they could market music. A 25k venue would be a good size for bands/artists that can't sell out a 70k stadium, but would sell out smaller venues. It would also offer a replacement for the old Earls Court as a venue in the West of London that is larger than existing theatre/nusic venues. Another revenue stream to help the club finances...

Agree with all of this. The toilet situation in the ground is woeful in both size and design. I like the progress that has been made with the food provision but it does feel like this is still a work in progress. For me though major progress needs to be made in the "soft" aspects of the matchday - and I daresay concert / event - experience. The serving staff need to be on point, which they clearly aren't now (in the Member's bar having one person on the till and one person pouring, but only serving one person at a time is utterly inefficient - have the Bar Managers never stepped foot inside a busy pub before or something?) and the food and drink prices are eye-watering. Lower the price of a pint by £1-1.50 and I'm sure more people will stay. The combination of prices and@#$%&beer (Greene King isn't beer, it's dishwater) makes me head for a local pub as soon as the game is over.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:11
Speedbumps on an A road? Srsly?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:11
Decent beer for the boys is good but that is only a relatively small proportion of the target audience which includes a LOT of partners and little ones.

never sleep (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:17
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Yes - sometimes walking to an A-league, you are taking your life in your hands. There are also a lot of kids etc. Lets make it safer for them.

akb1 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:19
Quote:
Why?
Quote:
e. build a pedestrian tunnel under the a316 to capitalise on matches at the Big Stoop
What's wrong with the bridge?

akb1 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:22
Quote:
They could open the bar now on a full time basis if they wanted to.
Why do you think they don't?

never sleep (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:25
A believe that Quinsa sometimes receive gifts from other supporters associations. These should have a home. The French clubs tend to have a place in ground for their supporters association. this would be a good addition.

The bridge is good - but, a tunnel would feed more people to the Stoop and the car parks on the other side of the A316 - and it is accessible to less mobile people. I think that this would give us more opportunity to earn money on games over the road.

never sleep (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:27
Quote:
akb1
Quote:
Clearly, there is not enough custom. But, this is likely due to the Stoop not in use for most of the time. Expand the Stoop and these sort of things are more profitable.

akb1 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:28
Quote:
The point is the stoop is used for 16-20 days year, it needs to be earning money 200 days a year
I would agree it doesn't get enough use, but I am sure it is used more than 16 - 20 days a year.

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 10:09
Quote:
RodneyRegis

I think he means on Langhorn Drive, not the A316 itself.

Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 10:39
12. Replace the toilet bucket!

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 11:57
Quote:
never sleep
Quote:
akb1
Quote:
Clearly, there is not enough custom. But, this is likely due to the Stoop not in use for most of the time. Expand the Stoop and these sort of things are more profitable.

They could open the Kings Head or Members bar more now, but would need a "pull". If the many bands that play at the Stoop on match days were given slots on non-match days and drinks prices were managed to compete with those on the high street (rather than a flat £1-1.50 less), then the size of the Kings bar could attract decent music or comedy cloud at a venue with much more room than others in the area. A stage would be easy to make.

Quinssa could "share" the venue, displaying the gifts it receives to show how well the club is connected at home and abroad covering the walls shirts, plaques etc.

Part of the problem now is that after games, the Kings Bar is too crowded since they closed the players bar off. Players I am sure could go to one of the function suites upstairs for their meals, or put them with the Debs - they always seem to have more space in their bar!

What would be quite useful and is something they may have to do when/if stadium grows to such a size, is to have temporary traffic lights just short of the gates going west (just before bridge) and even have a temporary "turn right" option going East, also traffic light controlled, on match days at critical times (1pm - 6m, for a 3pm KO) perhaps?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 12:08
How much do you think it would cost?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 12:46
Tunnel under the main road seems a little far fetched.

The bar staff are really useless and the beer is foul. I don't think the prices are that unreasonable compared to most pubs and venues. I'm sure they're cheaper at some amateur clubs and in other p[arts of the country, but they're more or less in line with most non-Spoons London pubs. Only reason I resent paying the prices is because the beer is foul. If it was a more permanent bar they might be able to get in a half-decent bar manager. I don't know what they do about the staff because they have been rubbish for years. I've worked in several pubs, some very busy, and it's really not that hard. Admittedly none of those pubs had the match day issue of a rush before, at half time and straight after, but still.

Never found toilets that much of a problem really. I suspect it's far worse for the female supporters though.

Decent screens would be great.

Please no track around the pitch, unless they can put in retractable seating for game days

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 14:04
Quote:
RodneyRegis

Traffic lights? I have no idea (do you?), but if they plan to redevelop to the extent they are planning, better transport access would be crucial, especially to local residents that won't want their roads completely blocked up on match days and would be part of the consultation that is planned.

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 14:20
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
never sleep
Quote:
akb1
Quote:

They could open the Kings Head or Members bar more now, but would need a "pull". If the many bands that play at the Stoop on match days were given slots on non-match days and drinks prices were managed to compete with those on the high street (rather than a flat £1-1.50 less), then the size of the Kings bar could attract decent music or comedy cloud at a venue with much more room than others in the area. A stage would be easy to make.

I'm no expert but i can't see the local residents and council being in favour of creating a new mid-week nighttime drinking/entertainment venue in an area surrounded by quiet residential streets. I would imaging the planning/licensing restrictions for SuperStoop will be one of the hardest areas for the development team to overcome.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 14:27
Understood, Dark Pies, but can you not already rent out the various suites for functions, parties etc?

rodders1 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 15:19
a total distraction from a company that is about making money not playing better rugby!

Show me the better rugby and "they" have earned the right to be outrageous

until then just start WINNING

on on quins

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 15:41
Quote:
rodders1
a total distraction from a company that is about making money not playing better rugby!

Why is it outrageous to want to develop the business?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 17:56
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
RodneyRegis

Traffic lights? I have no idea (do you?), but if they plan to redevelop to the extent they are planning, better transport access would be crucial, especially to local residents that won't want their roads completely blocked up on match days and would be part of the consultation that is planned.
Soz, I meant the tunnel.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 18:01
Quote:
rodders1

You’ll be watching a winning side in the lower leagues if we don’t start making money from a stadium complex

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 00:10
Quote:
never sleep
A believe that Quinsa sometimes receive gifts from other supporters associations. These should have a home. The French clubs tend to have a place in ground for their supporters association. this would be a good addition.
The bridge is good - but, a tunnel would feed more people to the Stoop and the car parks on the other side of the A316 - and it is accessible to less mobile people. I think that this would give us more opportunity to earn money on games over the road.

Out of interest, what does happen to the gifts currently??

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 08:46
That John bloke squirrels them away on e-bay, I mean, in his garage

never sleep (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 08:53
not sure what happens to them - but I do remember that they received something when visiting ASM a few years back and there was mention then that there was nowhere to put it.

Safri-quin (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 09:21
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Quote:
never sleep

Out of interest, what does happen to the gifts currently??

Most of the smaller less bulky stuff is in the the storage box Quinssa keeps at Stoop. ie. Pennants, stickers etc. Not a lot of anything of value.

Other gifts we have raffled off, or made available to members to claim if they were interested. The framed signed shirt from Prato is on the wall in the Kings Bar I think.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 11:18
No club/bar/venue is going to work there - we can walk to so many already - why would people drive to the Stoop? (Assuming very few are going to walk out of Twickenham past lots of bars and restaurants to get there).

Take a look at the town centre and the amount of closed restaurants - chicago rib shack (in its most recent incarnation), thai etc all shut down - no takers for the massive site where the RFU store used to be (followed by the bath place).

Blues Smokehouse lasted about two years, it's now The Palm Grill but will we were the only people there at Sunday lunchtime last week so that's not looking like it's going to last long.

If a high-end restaurant was going to make it in Twickers it would have done by now -- and the only alternative is yet another family place, and as I say, why would I bother going as far as the Stoop?

I'll be amazed if that place opposite the station that serves £100 wagu steaks lasts long. Guess it depends if they're making any more from drinks for people in the new development.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 12:05
if you have a top chef, people will travel specially.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 12:45
Quote:
blucherquin
No club/bar/venue is going to work there - we can walk to so many already - why would people drive to the Stoop? (Assuming very few are going to walk out of Twickenham past lots of bars and restaurants to get there).

Out of interest, where are the club/bar/venues that can be walked to in Twickenham?

Yareet (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 14:43
Quote:
blucherquin

If a high-end restaurant was going to make it in Twickers it would have done by now -- and the only alternative is yet another family place, and as I say, why would I bother going as far as the Stoop?

I'll be amazed if that place opposite the station that serves £100 wagu steaks lasts long. Guess it depends if they're making any more from drinks for people in the new development.

I think your first statement is a little naive. Manchester has famously not had a Michelin star in forever but people keep trying. By your reckoning, it’s a pointless task.

On that note, I heard the other day that Salt Flakes is going for a star. We’ll see.

M (opposite the station) should do OK. It’s not just wagu beef and tomahawks. They do more reasonably priced stuff as well. They’re also rammed on match day and with the Simon Shaw connection, get player appearances that can’t hurt. Although I guess it didn’t work for Stokes & Moncrieff!

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 17:38
But the point is not whether a high-end restaurant can survive in Twickenham - its whether a 7-days-a-week bar/restaurant/venue can survive when its 15-20mins walk from there off the beaten track in an otherwise featureless residential area.

I'd love it to be a success, but its just too far from the main drag and train station for what's being discussed.

I've found myself en route to England matches at HQ before from the station and needing a beer. Even though the Patch and the other pubs are always heaving with massive queues and i know the Kings Bar is open, i have never been bothered to walk 15mins out of town to get a beer at the Stoop, even though it might work out quicker than in Twickers.

Added to which, there is a massive cull of high street eateries in progress with what i call 'middle class McDonald's' like Jamie's Italian and Byron closing down at the moment.

As a father of 3 i'd say the best thing Quins can do with the Superstoop is build in a massive kids soft-play with a soundproof glass wall, so I can take the children there on away-match days or during 6N and keep an eye on them (with pint) whilst i watch a big telly. (And earn free bonus points with Mrs Pies)
And the rest of the month non-rugby mums could park up directly outside with their offspring and spend much dollar on lattes and fruit shoots.... winning formula.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 18:17
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
blucherquin

Out of interest, where are the club/bar/venues that can be walked to in Twickenham?

Huh? Every bar. Every venue (the patch being a venue for example for its jazz nights and stuff).

blucherquin (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 18:18
Quote:
Scaramouche
if you have a top chef, people will travel specially.

Not enough, to Twickenham - to a place on a dual carriageway.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 18:21
Quote:
Yareet
Quote:
blucherquin

I think your first statement is a little naive. Manchester has famously not had a Michelin star in forever but people keep trying. By your reckoning, it’s a pointless task.

On that note, I heard the other day that Salt Flakes is going for a star. We’ll see.

M (opposite the station) should do OK. It’s not just wagu beef and tomahawks. They do more reasonably priced stuff as well. They’re also rammed on match day and with the Simon Shaw connection, get player appearances that can’t hurt. Although I guess it didn’t work for Stokes & Moncrieff!

How is it naive? The market in Twickenham is over saturated for the size of the population - coz of the demand on rugby days. The larger places can’t survive.

Stokes was everything that’s wrong with pubs that try to be hipster. Rubbish over priced food, silly menu, annoying staff.

Not tried Salt Flakes - always empty when I go past but someone said we should try it the other day.

M looks nice (we went once on a Monday to find it shut, despite advertising a Monday night menu and cocktail specials) - but wonder how much trade they do mon-thurs and Sundays. Hope it survives - my bet it is it won’t in its current form.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2018 18:25 by blucherquin.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 20:43
The Stoop could also go the route of having other leisure-related stuff - a gym/spa/health club, or something other activity-based. The obvious sporting connection would be a good draw. Is there still a gym opposite the ground? I can't recall...

blucherquin (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 21:09
Quote:
Quinky Kin
The Stoop could also go the route of having other leisure-related stuff - a gym/spa/health club, or something other activity-based. The obvious sporting connection would be a good draw. Is there still a gym opposite the ground? I can't recall...

Yeah Nuffield - v busy at commuter gym times

Mayor West (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 07:13
What are everybody's ideas for moneymaking from the stoop? So far we have a soft play unit and a health club Gym. Nuffield might not be too happy about that though. But not a permanent bar or eateries . Not forgetting our large car park is a plus for the area.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 07:21
Quote:
Mayor West
What are everybody's ideas for moneymaking from the stoop? So far we have a soft play unit and a health club Gym. Nuffield might not be too happy about that though. But not a permanent bar or eateries . Not forgetting our large car park is a plus for the area.

Well I realise it might not be the most popular idea, but having a few five a side pitches is a good way of ensuring a weekday income from teams who pay to play and will use the bar after their games. I'm not sure how Twickenham is for this type of facility but theres one by the A3 near Malden that seems to do a very steady trade.

The five a side pitches would obviously be separate from the rugby pitch, and they would be all weather surfaces. Mind you , I would expect The New Stoop to have some kind of artificial surface too.

DazzaS (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 09:20
Weddings with follow up receptions, buisness conferences, different types of conventions, books, sci fi etc.

AGMs, Business away days etc.

There is a fair amount that can cater for the smaller and cheaper end of the market when compared to what Twickenham Stadium can host.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 09:37
Mini's Rugby competitions. Get the kids and the Mum's in!

Look at attracting other sports to use the facilities such as American Flag Football, hockey, tennis, indoor cricket etc

Yareet (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 12:09
Quote:
Dark Pies
As a father of 3 i'd say the best thing Quins can do with the Superstoop is build in a massive kids soft-play with a soundproof glass wall, so I can take the children there on away-match days or during 6N and keep an eye on them (with pint) whilst i watch a big telly. (And earn free bonus points with Mrs Pies)
And the rest of the month non-rugby mums could park up directly outside with their offspring and spend much dollar on lattes and fruit shoots.... winning formula.

Yup

blucherquin (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 12:34
Quote:
DazzaS
Weddings with follow up receptions, buisness conferences, different types of conventions, books, sci fi etc.

There is a fair amount that can cater for the smaller and cheaper end of the market when compared to what Twickenham Stadium can host.

Yeah I assume it’s this - look at what they do at Exeter.

Conferences, events, networking things, comedy nights, etc etc.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 12:58
Quote:
blucherquin

Comedy nights? We already do them on the odd Friday.

BB

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 16:23
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
DazzaS

These things happen now. They could do a lot more though.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 16:26
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
DazzaS

These things happen now. They could do a lot more though.

Yeah but the facilities are terrible. Look at the Debenture Bar, I'd pay more money not to have to go in there. Everything looks like it's 1975.

Hellequin (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 16:42
I used to go to the Kings bar after each match to watch the band and have a drink, but in the last couple of years it has been too overcrowded to be enjoyable. Maybe in the redesign there could be a couple of indoor bars one with space for music and another quieter more pub like space.

KevT (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 19:20
The model that they might be looking at as to how to maximise outside revenue is the Oval. Surrey have done a terrific job in maximising revenue from other sources. Their deal with Compass has produced great turnover and meaningful profits. It will be interesting to see if Quins could do the same from a venue not quite so close to central London.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 20:36
I don't know exactly what possible tie up there is with the college and who owns the playing fields in craneford way but there is space for enhanced sporting facilities there and at the college. The Quins Ams have no permanent home so there is an opportunity there.
Five aside football pitches were mentioned and locally there is a new facility in Snakey lane Hanworth and one in priory road Hampton. That's along with some schools locally so not sure if that's worth while.
The only problem with using sports pitches in the evenings is that the locals always complain about flood lights.

You Shall Not Pass (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 22:05
Quote:
Dark Pies

Brilliant idea! If we have another season like this one that would work for home matches too.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 22:19
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
DazzaS

Oooh, you are awful - I already proposed gig/major music/comedy nights but you stated there were already plenty of “venues” within walking distance - make you’re mind up!

There is a very different opportunity than that presently offered in Twickenham available, if marketed well. I realise the Quins brand has plummeted in your estimation - with good reason - but that doesn’t need negate anything that might be we’ll planned - if they get the right people to promote it.

DazzaS (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 05:36
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
DazzaS

Oooh, you are awful - I already proposed gig/major music/comedy nights but you stated there were already plenty of “venues” within walking distance - make you’re mind up!

There is a very different opportunity than that presently offered in Twickenham available, if marketed well. I realise the Quins brand has plummeted in your estimation - with good reason - but that doesn’t need negate anything that might be we’ll planned - if they get the right people to promote it.

The music element you mentioned is interesting. It worked for the club last summer, good size inbetween Wembley arena and the o2 but was reasonably priced. Example is little mix. Think their tickets was between £40-£50 at the Stoop but was around £80 at the o2!

SaffaQuin (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 10:34
As a long time STH, I think the club has to upgrade the stadium to remain relevant and competitive on the field.

The Ricoh works well for Wasps and the RFU have done a good job to reduce their dependency on match day revenues. Quins need to follow a similar model. Like other posters, I think the pub/restaurant idea would be tricky in a market saturated with similar venues. The vast majority of the profitability of these sorts of places comes from booze sales, not great when the local area is low-density family housing and most visitors would drive.

Likewise the gym idea would be difficult, these are not terribly profitable businesses and the club doesn't want to get involved in the day-to-day running of the gym. Outsourcing such space won't work because the two biggest players in the market, Virgin and Nuffield, already have local venues in spitting distance.

So the club would need to find a niche that could be exploited to deliver additional revenue streams. I think the mid-size concert venue is a good idea. Last summer was Little Mix and Elton John.

Another idea I think is really interesting, but I'm not sure if the board has the courage to consider is for a U-shaped satdium, with the top-half filled with a giant screen. Similar to the new Racing 92 U Arena.

The club should be targeting 20k (with room to expand) or 25k seats to be fairly future-proof, so that would mean bigger stands with more seats on the sides of the pitch. This design would also work well as a concert venue, leaving space for food venues and bars behind the big screen.

[Edit] Here's an image of the U Arena:
[www.bloodandmud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/04/2018 10:56 by SaffaQuin.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 10:38
Weddings and Funerals? Raves? Music and Beer and Rugby Festivals?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net