rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Captain
never sleep (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 22:06
One change that we probably need for next season is a new captain. Horwill seems to be unable to keep the players in line during a game and also has the disadvantage that he does get a few injuries.
So, who would be the best person to make as Captain.
I would disregard a front row. They rarely stay on for 80 minutes and have a tendency to opt for scrums when penalties are called. E.g Joe Marler v Wasps.
Locks can get injured rather a lot, so I would disregard them.
Back rows are a good option.
We tried Danny at SH. Not great.
FH is usually a good choice. But Smith too junior.
Centres haven't been round for long enough. Personally, I wouldn't choose a wing. I also wouldn't choose Brown.
So, in my view, this leaves the choices as Wallace or Chis.
Although Wallace captained us to LV cup victory, I'm not sure that his place is guaranteed.
So . . .
I would choose Chis.

Discuss . . .

Re: Captain
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 22:09
Either of the Robshaws.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

stoopy (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 22:23
Keep Horwill

one reason, our best captain

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 00:04
I'd be happy with Horwill or Robshaw, not so happy with anyone else.

never sleep (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 05:51
I would be happy with any of the Robshaws , but doubt that he wants it

Cookie (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 07:19
I would suggest it should be Chis at some stage. But he needs to be more available more regularly before he can get it. No other obvious candidate after Horwill for me.

CPB62 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 07:22
We'd be better off with Captain Birdseye than the one we have at present. Sorry but Horwill has to take a large share of the blame for the players lack of effort.

never sleep (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 07:38
I think that he certainly has to take some responsibility for the the volume of yellow cards that we have had this season.
The yellow cards (and penalties) have been a major contributing factor to our woes this season.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 07:42
Couldnt care less who the captain is. In a team devoid of any leaders, you can pick whoever you want.

never sleep (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 08:00
Congratulations blucherquin! You are now captain :-)

PQ2 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 08:15
-Perhaps we should instigate a world-wide search. Again.

BuckQuin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:20
On this point, can I just make an observation: I can't remember a time in recent memory when a captain in a Quins shirt called a huddle and appeared in any way animated. Why is this? I can only make sense of it by assuming that the sports psychologists have determined that actually keeping an atmosphere of calm, cool heads is in some way more beneficial than rattling cages. But during some of the performances this season I've just sat there begging for someone to jump in the middle of the circle and shout, wave some arms, appear to give a toss - either the captain or a senior player. Haven't seen it. Why?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 10:02
Thought Horwill was a great choice, but he's been injured a lot, overseen a season with dreadful discipline and effort issues, gives a away too many penalities himself and who opts for a penalty to touch and attacking lineout too often, presumably as, as an integral part of that unit, he doesn't want to accept how bad we are at it.

Robshaw I think is a really good captain, but will be away a lot.

Chisholm could be, but his own discipline is not great.

Wallacde - not thanks. Can't have a winger as captain and not first choice in my opinion.

Clifford would be a good option is he could play more than two ganes in a row.

I like the idea of a 9/10 or centre as captain, as I think they're a bit more level headed / objective when it comes to penalty decisions, but I suppose that's only part of the job, and none of our options are suitable.

In terms of players who get us in a huddle, Robshaw is the only one who comes to mind.

So, due to a lack of other suitable candidates, I guess Horwill remains the best one. Can't lay the blame for our dreadful season solely on his captaincy.

New DoR might want a new captain

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 10:46
It has to be someone who unites the squad which is currently a very big problem.

I think the obvious choice is Robshaw, but as others have said I doubt he'd want it, and we'd then still need to sort out an alternative for when he's away.

I think Horwill should be fine but that's without knowing what's going on behind the scenes where there are supposedly different cliques etc developing.

The benefit of Horwill should be that he isn't tainted by having been part of the broken system for so many years, but it certainly doesn't appear to have worked this year for one reason or another.

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 11:42
The one player who has been a constant through the season and stand in Capt is Dave Ward
Cant fault his commitment or passion for the shirt , ability and discipline less predictable.

The unknown for me is Renaldo Bothma , Im not sure how he is regarded by the squad , but he is Capt of Namibia and perhaps could have the necessary skills. Lets hope he can stay on the park and show some leadership

We need to be careful about stripping Horwill of the privilege , it could be counter productive , a sensitive one for the new DOR to negociate or advise how he wants his capt to behave on the park.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 12:07
I think Robshaw has 18 months (to next RWC) of England Rugby in him - if that, if E. Jones fiddles.

I think he should be made skipper for next season - and perhaps Clifford/Chisholm deputise in his absence, until such a time he can do it full time, until he retires and his understudy take over. Moving it around yearly want worked and coincides with our 3 years of underachievement.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 12:11
Give it to Marchant or Chis.

Candelamaria (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 12:42
I took hats off to Wardy, i felt this season he was more of a captain then either Brown/Horwill.

I would love him to be captain but it game time that worries me,

Personally i would go for either Robshaw,Visser or Walker

Charlie been brilliant captain when he been given the chance and also playing game time same as Chris/Tim.

It a shame i would have included Jack but with injuries it worrying

T-Bone (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 12:54
When has Walker been captain? For the 7s? Not sure about that one really.

Ward I think is a good captain, and one of my favourite players, but shouldn't be starting at 2 or 7.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 13:17
Bothma is a good outside bet. I would imagine he'd be able to get his message across, and he certainly leads from the front.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 13:22
It needs to be someone who is around all season (barring injury) and is first choice in their position. They also have to be a type of captaincy individual, I wouldn't give it to some like, in my opinion, Visser as an example.

As an outside bet if we have a new signing coming in with the DOR, maybe they could be an option. If the rumour of Symmons turns out true he could fit the bill. Hasn't he captained before?? Its another fresh input and clean start

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 15:38
There are a lot of things to like about Ward but he doesn't seem to deal with refs very well when he's captain, plus he's not really a starter.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 16:17
Renaldo Bothma would be my captain for 2018/19.And I would be confident that the new Coach/DOR will not make Horwill captain after the shambles of this season. Plus he looks the shoe in no.8 for next season.
Unless of course we do our world wide search and then decide to grant Mapletoft the promotion.

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 16:21
I’d like to see Ward concentrate on improving his throwing and be out starting Hooker rather than burden him with the extra responsibility.

Let’s be honest, there is only Robshaw who is respected enormously by players, coaches and fans alike so the idea of him with Clifford/Chis backup is good and they can learn from him. Bothma a good shout too if he can stay fit.

Captain
BF (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 17:09
Has anyone watched Horwill's post-match interview? He looked absolutely broken. I'm not sure that is a sign of someone who neither cares nor wishes to see his team improve.

Candelamaria (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 17:16
Charlie been captain in some of the A league games as well (when not playing 1st or recovering from injury)

Candelamaria (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 17:16
But I do like the idea of Robshaw captain, chris/clifford vice

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2018 17:18 by Candelamaria.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 17:28
Seriously? Bothma? He's played less for quins than pdj.

Hants Hog Dean (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 17:53
Quote:
BF
Has anyone watched Horwill's post-match interview? He looked absolutely broken. I'm not sure that is a sign of someone who neither cares nor wishes to see his team improve.

Thought exactly the same and for those saying you don't see JH nor any Quins player getting really animated (in a huddle, etc) you just don't see that typically anywhere in the modern game; although we, as fans, would like to see such stuff it's clearly an attempt to keep a more calm and more measured approach.

Horwill captained Australia many times - and I realise both the Robshaws did for England too -and would certainly reamin my first choice.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 18:30
Quote:
BF

Who said he didn't care or want us to improve? Sadly he had beet club captain during an awful season. I don't really think his captaincy had been a particularly significant factor, if it has been a factor at all, but fair to question the success of the appointment I'd say, without meaning that's also questioning his passion

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 21:53
I think Robshaw is better of without the captaincy. He's always a leader on the pitch and already has the respect of the team. Making him captain seems like burdening him too much, if that makes sense? When he lost the England captaincy it was like a weight being taken off his shoulders.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 09:12
Ward as captain is kinda daft, he's one of the least disciplined guys in the squad who should also be worried about his place.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 09:39
Quote:
Jammy Git
Ward as captain is kinda daft, he's one of the least disciplined guys in the squad who should also be worried about his place.

Agreed. Would be a very poor choice of captain.

never sleep (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 09:58
Part of my thinking around making Chis captain is that it would cement his place in the team.
Also, he is young and he could be captain for years to come.

[edit]
and he is the DHL player of the season

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2018 10:16 by never sleep.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 10:37
https://image.ibb.co/nDat6n/687062ebf17712a2962b171e613039a72f63e3ed600508cbc0895281b87afc23.jpg

Hants Hog Dean (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 11:31
I really like Chis as a player and cannot fault his commitment and effort. Should definitely be one of the guys Quins are building the team around and think it would be a great move to make him vice captain and step in when Horwill's not there.

Going back to previous comments about seeing the Quins captain, and senior players, more animated on the pitch, Ugo on a recent podcast said that the players had sessions re staying calm and speaking quietly when addressing the referee so wouldn't be surprised if this was also encouraged when talking to each other (to remain measured and clear thinking)

- not saying, however, that I think that is always the best approach (and I certainly couldn't have claimed that myself) !

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 12:10
If you get it right and remain calm under pressure and only the Captain speaks politely to the Referee at all times, from the Referee's perspective I would think that is a good picture to paint.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 12:51
Once Clifford/Chis have cemented their starting places and maintain fitness/free of injury, then they certainly should be considered for the role, but until then, Robshaw should be the man.

But without really knowing them, it is hard to say if they have leadership qualities. Chis, being possibly a bit more abrasive might suit it, but perhaps Clifford is a better man-manager.

arniepie (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 17:02
Academic at the moment as horwill has broken his ankle and will be out for the foreseeable

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 17:13
Quote:
arniepie
Academic at the moment as horwill has broken his ankle and will be out for the foreseeable

Shame for him but in terms of this season it makes no difference. Lets just hope he is fit for the start of next season

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 20:38
Quote:
arniepie

Doubtless some won't see that as good enough reason for him not being animated and jumping up and down (Sm6)(Sm161)

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 09:24
He's got two feet you know.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 09:39
Quote:
Scaramouche
He's got two feet you know.

That's what they all say...

Dave L (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 10:36
Quote:
arniepie

Did that happen in training then? Seemed to be standing fine at the awards dinner the other day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net