rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Care Speaks
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 16:21
The new Harlequins boss will need to bring "drastic change" to the club next season, says England's most-capped scrum-half Danny Care.

Director of rugby John Kingston will leave at the end of the season after a disappointing Premiership campaign.

Quins are 10th in the table, level on points with second-bottom Worcester.

"We need something completely different. It's been quite similar for a while now and we've got progressively worse," said Quins' Care.

"Those are the bare facts of it. My personal opinion is we need drastic change."
◾Rugby Union Weekly with Springbok legend Bryan Habana

Quins are in the process of recruiting a new director of rugby, with candidates from both overseas and England being considered.

"Someone needs to come in and have a real good look at it, from top to bottom, and change whatever he may change," said Care, who co-presents the Rugby Union Weekly podcast.

"As a person who only has a year left on his contract, that might mean I'm surplus to requirements the year after.

"But the best thing for the club is that someone comes in, stamps their authority on it, and hopefully gets the club back to where it should be."

Last weekend's 44-13 defeat by Worcester was Quins' fourth heavy loss in a row and Care admits the players are "embarrassed" by their slump in form - the club have only registered one league win in 2018.

"Our defence hasn't been good enough all year, we are shipping too many points," added the former club captain.

"I can only apologise to Quins fans out there. Believe me, we are trying."

Re: Care Speaks
blucherquin (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 16:41
Which ties in perfectly with the appointments of Easter and Evans being disastrous on top of JK, Mapletoft etc

Club totally failed to move on from 2012. Massive massive failure.

Needs constant change. Players should have been moved on, coaches should have been moved on.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 17:21
Quote:
"I can only apologise to Quins fans out there. Believe me, we are trying."

But not hard enough. The players could have made a much better effort in terms of discipline and defence.

Safri-quin (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 17:49
Maybe focus on playing rugby Danny, instead of constantly waving your arms in the air and advising the ref on how to do his job...

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 17:50
I am waiting for the day his feet actually leave the floor (due to the constant flapping)

Teddington Taff (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 19:07
So no acceptance of any responisibilty on his part then?

Personally I think he's been a big part of the problem and quite often doesn't turn up but get's away with it by the occassional - though diminishing i occurance - moments of brilliance.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 23:04
I think that's a weird reading of it. Danny's had a few poor matches but in at least the first half of the season he was the best 9 in the Premiership.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

CPB62 (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 07:37
Worst disciplined player in Premiership (I don't mean in terms of aggression) most of his yellow cards are ridiculous and as others have said all the back chat to the ref is pointless. Seriously wonder if the sole reason to make him captain was to perhaps help him get away with the back chat.

RleQuin (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 10:06
We are trying!! What a joke that is!
RleQ

akafudge1966 (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 13:10
As a long time STH, I have never seen such mediocrity from the players as I have this season. The players appear to think they are better than they are, Danny included. We need a wholesale clear out but I fear it cannot happen in time for next season, which is going to be tougher still.

I have renewed my season ticket so I am still committed no matter what!

COYQ!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 14:38
It doesnt read the same as when you hear him say it on the podcast - Id listen before making up your mind.

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 14:54
Leadership or lack of it has been massive in this whole season, I also think that Big Kev should shoulder some blame as Capt he should be the one to go eye to eye with the players and demand more and better from them. I cannot say this hasn't happened but if it has he is clearly not the leader we need. Then there is the senior player element especially ex captains ans current internationals who should be on his shoulder and sort it out.

I think the whole leadership model is flawed and needs re-addressing which if you listen Marler and Care are bot h saying. I only hope that he new DOR is the man to do this. I personally think we need a hard nosed no nonsense character who will demand respect and have an air of authority. We cant do another softly softly person.

DOK (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 15:33
Yeah! Bring on Jake White and cold dips in the sea every morning! smiling smiley

Actually, I'm not disagreeing, RQ. I said I don't know if we need a sergeant major type or the arm round the shoulder type. Or a team of both. Maybe a short term DOR to sort out the mess then a more strategic one for the long term?

But the club had better damn well make the right decision, and their record on this isn't great.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 17:01
Get it wrong again and heads will roll up top.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 18:47
DOK IMHO management is about knowing who needs a kick up the backside, financial motivation, praise, a cuddle etc. Coaches should know their players and what approach gets the best results from which individual.

Not sure our coaches have this ability in their armoury. Maybe its too much deference to so called international stars and as stated above the covering bumped players resenting this approach.

Also weve not had sufficient quality in the back row for the past 4/5 seasons for carrying and battering down defences or challenging in the loose in defence.

Look at the Exeter and Falcons approach in last saturdays games....this season and recently we can never seem to generate that type of game and the required intensity.

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 20:12
I would say Deano is more the type I mean, I would suggest he has all the qualities of a good Sgt Maj. Jake White was that man but 20 years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net