Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

dave ward line out
plzd (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 17:47
Is a joke

Lost 2 attacking L/O from which Eve attack and score

He cannot do one of the basics of his position

it is the same week after week after week after wee.....

Its incredible

Re: dave ward line out
plzd (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 17:56
I maybe exaggerate when I say they scored directly from that but he threw 2 attacking LO all over the place as he always does

sorry if i exaggerated but I am just sick of seeing him do the same thing every week

we make the effort to get territory and he chucks the ball into row Z

FGS

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 18:02
Quote:
plzd
Is a joke
Lost 2 attacking L/O from which Eve attack and score

He cannot do one of the basics of his position

it is the same week after week after week after wee.....

Its incredible

Is it onl the hooker who can throw into a line out?

It ass become the norm but used to be a flankers role, but basically any one in the 15 can grow it in and it should be best man for the job. I had a prop doing it t my last club.

Sketchley (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 18:12
Sometimes it's not the throwers fault. Line out is all about timing. Second too late to jump and it looks like an over throw.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 18:05
Asking someone else to do it is a non-starter. Only hookers practice it their whole careers, and it's obviously not an easy skill to learn. Buchanan is a converted prop and Ward is a converted 7, I think. Elia may also have moved to hooker from backrow. We could do with a couple of hookers who have always played hooker.

05 May, 2018 18:07
Quote:
Sketchley
Sometimes it's not the throwers fault. Line out is all about timing. Second too late to jump and it looks like an over throw.

While that's true I don't think it's a coincidence that Joe Gray has consistently been our best lineout hooker.

Sketchley (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 18:16
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Quote:
Sketchley

While that's true I don't think it's a coincidence that Joe Gray has consistently been our best lineout hooker.

Agreed, I just get fed up with armchair rugby experts always blaming the hooker for the throw. The lineout is much more complicated than that.

Quaking Quin (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 19:19
Think you are being unfair on Wardie. Quins have not been convincing all season at line-outs whoever is the hooker.

The call on the opposition's 5 metre line has failed too often over the past few seasons.However, Exeter exposed today so many fundamental flaws in Quins tactics across the park.

Whoever takes over as DoR has a huge gap to overcome on other teams in the premiership with an ageing squad and naive coaching support.

05 May, 2018 21:00
Quote:
plzd
I maybe exaggerate when I say they scored directly from that but he threw 2 attacking LO all over the place as he always does
sorry if i exaggerated but I am just sick of seeing him do the same thing every week

we make the effort to get territory and he chucks the ball into row Z

FGS

This has been happening since the days of Keith Wood, our lineouts close to the try line have always been hopeless. You'd watch Neil Back drive over for Leicester for the umpteenth time and wonder why we couldn't manage it.

vernon74 (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 20:56
There were 2 line outs around the hour in their 22 which we lost. The first was collapsed from the maul I thought. The second was thrown to the back where all the players were looking into the sun and had no chance! I think that has more to do with the caller than with Dave Ward. While heís not a great thrower, as with all our other problems itís a team-wide issue.

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 21:01
QP - Why do only hookers practice it. As has been eluded too players change position, some players just have a natural ability to get it right. It is a current mindset that onl hookers do it like for years only 10s or 15s kicked for goal, but someone let John Eales do it and he wasnít too bad either for a lock.

05 May, 2018 21:33
I don't know why it became the sole preserve of the hooker, but I'm sure better minds than ours have considered otherwise and decided it's not worth bothering with.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 00:19
Quote:
Sketchley
...The lineout is much more complicated than that.

Absolutely right...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_i4eZG-MwUY/UReSsBSUhqI/AAAAAAAAH1g/J_o16Vt_V0s/s1600/NewmanEquationOnlyToUse.gif

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 07:45
Another situation where confidence and determination are critical.....thrower under pressure to catchers that are nervous due to past failure....result nevitable.

This should be like clockwork and a skill honed in training by repeat drills.

Same with driving mauls where every member of the drive knows what their role is....no mystery that we canít win a line out and then drive over or have the shill and patience o set up and score from drives like......oh yes Exeter.

InsertQuinsPunHere (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 08:11
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
Sketchley
...The lineout is much more complicated than that.

Absolutely right...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_i4eZG-MwUY/UReSsBSUhqI/AAAAAAAAH1g/J_o16Vt_V0s/s1600/NewmanEquationOnlyToUse.gif

Given the seemingly random nature of the throwing at our lineouts, I'd say you probably could model their accuracy with probability density and the diffusion equation.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 17:04
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Quote:
Sketchley

He's been awful at it for years now!

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

06 May, 2018 17:58
That's an exaggeration. His form has clearly suffered though him being injured so often and not getting a run of games. He's still been better than the others in spite of that.

Dave L (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 21:32
The line out and maul both in attack and defence have been feeble for a couple of years now. One thing that must be looked at with the new regime.

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 21:35
Dave L the problem is these are easy fix areas but we have not got it sorted yet.

Dave L (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 21:36
Quote:
Roaming Quin
Dave L the problem is these are easy fix areas but we have not got it sorted yet.

Errr yes. Thatís what Iím saying. Been rubbish for a few years suggests that we havenít got it sorted!

poorfour (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 18:33
Out lineout has been inconsistent since George Robson left. In him, we had a guy who played week in week out and was a good lineout caller, and the lineout worked well regardless of whether Gray, Brooker or Buchanan was throwing.

Since then, we've had horrible luck with injuries to both hookers and locks, and it's been rare that we've had the same hooker throwing to the same lineout caller from week to week. It's hard to get consistency under those conditions.

All of which said, we've made some pretty dumb calls. We don't seem to know when to go for the safe options, be that throwing to the front jumper or even just using Robshaw (who has quite a knack for taking real crunch lineouts) more.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 21:14
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
That's an exaggeration. His form has clearly suffered though him being injured so often and not getting a run of games. He's still been better than the others in spite of that.

I disagree. I think it's been awful, the worst of the three.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net