rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Good farewell + players insights
blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 08:45
Thought the players made a real effort yesterday. Yes we have problems with our game but they can’t fix them over 80 mins and they all put in a good shift.

Good crowd, enjoyed signing “Har.....Le.......Quins” to the tomahawk chop as always.

Really nice end of match - good reaction from crowd to players and JK - proper send off. And having a pint on the pitch in the sun makes everything seem better.

Chatted to a few players afterwards, consistent message was some weren’t on board with coaching changes, a lot of frustration with themselves as well.

Oh and apparently they are down to last two candidates for DoR.

Finally - where were all the armchair warriors who said there might be boos and no one thanking JK?

Guess it is just a small section of people who post on social media after all.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2018 09:10 by blucherquin.

Re: Good farewell + players insights
QuinAlan (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 09:15
Blucher, were any names mentioned as possible DOR?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 09:28
Quote:
QuinAlan
Blucher, were any names mentioned as possible DOR?

Not to me no - they either didn’t know or weren’t letting on.

Just to add, no firm names that is - no one said “I know so and so has been spoken to” or similar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2018 09:31 by blucherquin.

Jus-Quin-Time (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 10:49
I had no intention of going to the game yesterday but at the last minute common sense prevailed. Heck, I had travelled to Belfast and La Rochelle to see the team beaten I might as well see them beaten at home in the sunshine. Low expectations prevailed.

It was good to see the crowd in such a positive mood and every one around me were willing to leave 2017/18 behind and look forward to a new season. Everyone that sat around me had or were renewing their season tickets.

The rugby from both sides was good to watch but the quality of Exeter just shone through in every aspect.

And then we had the final whistle, a walk around by the whole squad and the opportunity to say goodbye to JK. I have to say the vitriol towards JK expressed on this board in recent months did not prevail. He was treated with respect by everyone and was considerably delayed in his walk around by those wishing him well. Finally arriving at the end he was encouraged to walk down a long tunnel formed by the whole squad. Clearly showing his emotions at this stage he was the recipient of a traditional rugby send off.

But it wasn't all bright and positive. As the Whole Harlequin squad gathered, some in team strip, some in official mufti and a fair few on crutches or with arms in slings there was one notable absentee. They all came together by the tunnel to finish the season and wish JK goodbye but the individual concerned stayed over by the North Stand talking to supporters. JK arrived for his final farewell and still the player chose to ignore the events taking place. Finally, as everyones attention focussed on JK and the Squad at the tunnel it seemed an extraordinary statement for Jamie Roberts to remain totally separate and isolated over by the North Stand. Clearly he couldn't find it within himself to be with the team.

Exeter were excellent. Despite being victors they left the pitch at the end of the game giving the home team its moment in the sun. Only later did they come out and even then they went directly to where their supporters had gathered to celebrate at the South Stand. If ever the essence of the spirit of rugby could be distilled it was on display right there.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 12:48
On the video feed JR was shown briefly as JK was doing his lap. JR was also shaking hands in the crowd, but for some reason looked visibly upset and as if he was tearful.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 13:59
Blucher Quin when u say players not on board with coaching changes can you explain please - is it that JK is going as DOR or that they don’t agree with the current coaches who had changed the way they were told to play. Or another interpretation please- thanks

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 14:24
I heard the Roberts wanted to stay but was not offered a contract so Iwould imagine that was JKs doing so could understand him standing off.

Bossman99 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 14:48
Word I heard is that Wayne Smith is top of the wish list - 2016 all over again it seems...

Hants Hog Dean (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 15:06
Not being able to be there yesterday, many thanks for posting Blucherquin - really good to read and to hear your perspective.

Only wish good things for JK moving forward. Whatever else, a good and true, rugby man.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 17:37
I spoke to Roberts - he was genuinely upset to be leaving - he said he’d been taken aback by how moved he was with all the people coming up to him. He took a lot of time to talk to fans - seems like a top bloke to me.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 17:42
Quote:
Kent Fan
Blucher Quin when u say players not on board with coaching changes can you explain please - is it that JK is going as DOR or that they don’t agree with the current coaches who had changed the way they were told to play. Or another interpretation please- thanks

The latter - they didn’t understand why they were being asked to play in a certain way that they didn’t agree was the right way for the club.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 18:05
It's a shame. In the first couple of months of last season there was a noticeable change in the way we played, in that there was less risk taking in our 22 - a more pragmatic approach. JK had specifically targeted that as a way to improve. It's a distant memory now and I find it slightly bewildering that the players wanted to continue with the tried and tested failure of the 'Quins way'.

It must be a tough one for a DOR. We hear plenty about players leading the way the team plays but I suppose if you give them enough rope...

Probably a good reason to have a decent player clear out.

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 21:28
The problem is being pragmatic in our 22 is the way to play the game. But there must have been something really wrong, I sit in the south stand and you could see our defensive alignment was weird.

plzd (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 00:31
Quote:
Roaming Quin
The problem is being pragmatic in our 22 is the way to play the game. But there must have been something really wrong, I sit in the south stand and you could see our defensive alignment was weird.
more like non existent but agree totally

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 08:07
Thanks Blutcher - however I can’t understand why a pragmatic exit plan when defending in the 22 was unacceptable to the players.....is this what they were saying?

If they wanted to play in the “Quins style” they were only able to show it in a handful of games....Sarries at home etc. From game 1 against Irish, the effort was missing.

This disagreement with the playing style is baffling as the Quins way is based around effort in supporting ball carriers when attacking and getting back off the floor when defending. Too many times this effort was missing and only individual moments of skill papered over the cracks.

Still intrigued by what these players actually said or meant and what way they wanted to play.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 12:36
I think the two conversations in the thread are getting mixed up. No one was specific to me about what bit of the coaching was causing problems but they all (spoke to 5) said roughly the same thing

We didn’t talk about defence

An an addition to the answer - video of Brown post match also says same thing “we tried to get back to the Quins way of playing, our offloading game” etc....

Whether they’re right or wrong the consistent message now they feel they can is that the coaching wasn’t right for the group of players. (Now if that’s actually their fault for not doing whatever they’re told is a different chat...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2018 15:22 by blucherquin.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 16:20
Quote:
blucherquin

Whether they’re right or wrong the consistent message now they feel they can is that the coaching wasn’t right for the group of players. (Now if that’s actually their fault for not doing whatever they’re told is a different chat...)

It's an unusual quandary. Normally I'd suggest that if players don't follow the plan laid out for them, they are in the wrong of their chosen alternative fails. But what if they actually can't follow the plan for whatever reason?

I remember Martin Johnson talking about Lions moves which were so complicated that the players were getting confused about where they should be and what they should be doing on specific phases...

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 17:35
Getting up off the floor, supporting the ball carrier, etc - that's not "the Quins way". That's the basics of professional rugby.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

blucherquin (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 18:08
Quote:
Jammy Git
Getting up off the floor, supporting the ball carrier, etc - that's not "the Quins way". That's the basics of professional rugby.

Sure and they also acknowledged they’d not been good enough but the two are parallel issues.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 21:15
It was Kent Fan making that claim, not you smiling smiley

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 22:19
Wonder who the "few big signings" yet to be announced are?

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 12:23
Quote:
quinsfan123

And I wonder who sourced/chose/identified them?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 12:51
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
quinsfan123

And I wonder who sourced/chose/identified them?

Did someone say there signings to be announced?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 13:30
Thought Ellis was saying most of our business has been done. Surely getting another couple of locks in? Symons and another. Ought to be getting another centre in too

blucherquin (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 13:26
Can’t see how we’ll sign anyone until new DoR in place and even then most deals are long since done.

Anyone we can get is not going to be a “building new squad” name - and we’ve got enough seat fillers.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 14:04
Was mentioned on here that we have two high profile signings to join, subject to the DOR. I asked if Symmons was one and the answer was no, higher profile.

My only doubt would be how we have the cap space for two more high profile names. They have probably been in discussion for a while.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 15:28
Wasps have announced today that Symmons is leaving, as is PDJ!!!

T-Bone (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 16:28
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Was mentioned on here that we have two high profile signings to join, subject to the DOR. I asked if Symmons was one and the answer was no, higher profile.
My only doubt would be how we have the cap space for two more high profile names. They have probably been in discussion for a while.

Sorry, I'm getting confused. Who said we had two new high profile signings and who said Symmons wasn;t one, as they are higher profile?

raedarius (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 16:40
Quote:
HonkyTonk

Of course. PDJ comes as a freebie when you buy a Haskell.

quin_jon (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 16:41
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
HonkyTonk

Sorry, I'm getting confused. Who said we had two new high profile signings and who said Symmons wasn;t one, as they are higher profile?

Hmmm, I think that rumour was started in the "Let's start a rumour" thread.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 17:04
Indeed it was, but nothing to suggest it was a wind up

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 18:14
Quote:
HonkyTonk

I wonder if PDJ has another contract? There must be club he hasn't played for signed for...

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 18:31
There was talk about him going to Eailing.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 21:52
Speaking of not having a club - DC said Gray doesn’t have a new club when he was on the podcast this week.

Toast (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:42
Was I dreaming or did DC also say Adam Jones is off about 7:45 in, in the BBC rugby weekly podcast?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2018 14:48 by Toast.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:49
Quote:
Toast
Was I dreaming or did DC also say Adam Jones is off about 7:45 in, in the BBC rugby weekly podcast?

I think it was announced recently that he's officially retired?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net