rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Ackerman and Glaws style
Kent Fan (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 07:46
He was hired to change Glaws nearly men tag and has unearthed some young dynamic players who have had a good first year. He had experience of turning round a team in SA it’s a shame we were not in the market when he was available. Was he part of the world wide search that failed and meant JK got the job with Tofty as head coach. QDavid Humphries as DOR has stepped back to the business side.

Mark Mapletoft is still in his job as head coach, has been a Quins player plus coach elsewhere but has let standards slide in the past few years.

Rather than a cosy ex player like Nick Kennnedy we need someone with Ackermanns type of experience as head coach. The DOR role is different but also an experienced guy is required.

On the other side of the coin is Quins really an attractive club? I think it is, but is a real challenge to turn around the attitude. The defence is the place to start with the trust and interdependence of the squad being established through the coaching of a good defensive structure. Why has this disappeared In the past few seasons with all the talk of new systems not working. The basics stay the same why do the players feel they can get away with a lack of effort when this is a fundamental requirement.

Over this summer the coaches either new or the ones still in the job need to drill the defence as a priority.

Re: Ackerman and Glaws style
Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 09:28
The more I think about it I think Shaun Edwards would make a great HC and would be worth throwing money at. Its highly unlikely with RWC coming up. But he'd get a grip of D and is a good leader.

Cookie (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 10:55
Yes, I’d like Edwards with Ryan (assuming Lancaster is out). I wonder if we should be looking for an interim manager until someone who might be RWC-tied becomes available? A bit like Northampton with Solomons standing in until Boyd was freed up from Super Rugby.

I suspect Edwards would be impossible to get until November.

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 11:18
I really don't want to see a failed DOR from another club come in and I will be very saddened to see Kennedy come in and I'm sure the players would question the logic too.

Edwards/Ryan - Welcome with open arms.

Failed DOR/Ryan - No thanks.

Cookie (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 11:51
What constitutes a failed DoR/Coach? I hear people saying Mallinder and (more ridiculously) Cockerill are failed DoRs. Is Woodward a failure? Things always move on and permanent success is impossible. To discount two DoRs who have won the AP is daft. To discount Lancaster who had a decent England record during a rebuilding period is also churlish, IMHO.

Everyone’s clamouring for a foreign coach, but their record in the AP isn’t the greatest.

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 12:36
I am totally with you Cookie, very few SH coaches do well in the premiership, look at Blackadder who is a top coach but has not made a great mark in the league yet.

Anyone who calls Cockers or Mallinder a failed coach clearly knows nothing about rugby, look at how cockers has turned around Edinburgh and almost made the pro 14 semis.

Mallinder was hugely successful at Northampton, not a great ending but he would be a great DOR at quins and I totally agree with you on Lancaster and I have said that on another thread, I don't get people saying he won't be a good coach, look at what he has done at Leinster and he has a much greater CV than Conor O'shea had when he was made DOR at Quins.

I don't understand who this magic person is that some people want to be DOR at quins who clearly does not exist, there are significant problems at Quins and you finished 10th in the table and now people are dismissing proven DOR's and international coaches, so who will be the messiah then

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 12:46
apparently Mark McCall has applied (Sm100)

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 13:01
Mallinder's total lack of flexibility did for him. When someone's spent a few years driving the club into the ground, refusing to change the approach, making poor signings, etc, that person is not an attractive option.

COS had way more experience (and a better record) than Lancaster as a club DOR. He won DOR of the season with London Irish ffs. Lancaster relegated a club with a great crop of young players.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 13:03
There is a difference between Cockers & Jim Mallinder with Nick Kennedy and that’s experience plus both have also won things.

Was Jim a DOR or head coach? I just don’t see NK filling either role.

I really don’t know of an individual who is free but QUINS need to get it right to address this slump in performance. I can only quote names of guys who I’d like the new guy to be like.....Rob Baxter, Mark MaCall type DOR with a head coach like Ackerman or Alex Sanderson, Paul Gustard.

Agree with the idea above about an interim if either of the last two above could be tempted from Sarries or England maybe.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 13:58
I feel that it is looking like the big foreign name is becoming less likely, simply because while they get up to speed with the GP we'll still be running on only 3 pistons.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:45
NK is a main worry I don't see what he bring, I agree about foreign coaches but as far as I am aware Edwards and Ryan are both home grown.

I don't think Mallinder is the right man, would take Bomber as I rate him highly as a coach.

DOK (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 17:02
Ben Ryan is an unknown quantity surely?
You might convince me Shaun Edwards was a good understudy and could make a DOR, but I'd rather have someone like Mallinder. Someone who has done it before and went off the rails when they were very successful and had dragged the club to a top table position - I could live with that.

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 17:09
I think Edwards will be a fantastic choice, he has been a head coach in this league, he has international experience. For one thing, your defense will not be bad under Edwards, I just don't think he will take the job before the WC.

Ben Ryan i agree is an unknown quantity i agree and why i don't get this great clamour for him even as head coach, he has not coached at any level in the premiership or even championship and being a 7's coach is different to being a 15's premiership coach

DOK (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 21:37
I said elsewhere I believe different clubs benefit from different coaches at different stages in their life cycle. Maybe mallinder did find it hard to keep Northampton on top when he got them there, but right now we need someone with proven experience at getting a club up the table - and that could be Mallinder.

Maybe we need to move on from this idea "A DOR is for life not just for 3 years" and think about being more hard nosed in our dealing with DORs. Sure, use their skill while they are hot, but if they go off the boil don't offer them a new contract, offer them the door!

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 09:04
DOK this is the football style with managers / coaches being brought in to keep clubs up but not kept on once this is achieved.

In some ways rugby management and coaching is almost much more amateur in that inexperienced ex players are given a chance. Ok this has been reversed with Steven Gerrard being given a chance at Rangers but most of the time the same old faces are on the merry go round.

In rugby we don’t seem to get too many coaches coming up from outside the premiership bubble.

Why aren’t guys like Mike Rayer (probably spelt wrong) from Bedford mentioned?

DOK (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:16
I just meant be a lot more proactive in managing your coaches. The signs were already starting to show for COS when he jumped ship, but we should really have been more aware of the situation.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:26
It's a nice idea to develop our own coaches in a sort of Coaches Academy and maybe send them off to a NZ finishing school.

But....do we have enough time?

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 21:53
Quote:
Kent Fan
He was hired to change Glaws nearly men tag and has unearthed some young dynamic players who have had a good first year.

They just bottled a European final they were winning comfortably, so nearly men they remain.

thomh (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 22:13
Garces should have given them a penalty for obstruction at the penultimate restart but somehow didn’t. Only saw the last 5 minutes but understand they also had a try wrongly disallowed and Cardiff were wrongly awarded one. Assuming that’s correct, it amounts to a 20 point swing in refereeing decisions alone. Harsh to say they bottled it.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 22:26
Half right. Austin went on a rant about a try being incorrectly given but it was not offside (I checked myself because Austin was being an idiot about it). However, Gloucester did get robbed of a try by an awful decision.

Having said that, if you only saw 5 minutes you're probably not in a position to argue whether Gloucester's attitude after half time, when comfortably in control, and the meltdown of a few of their players under pressure constitutes bottling it! smiling smiley

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 08:06
Ok Jammy you are right they just couldn’t react to Cardiff’s blistering second half start.

Garces also pinged Poledri for being off his feet harshly.

Ed Slater has added a Tigers spirit but they still couldn’t maintain their first half momentum despite scoring a couple of great tries.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 09:41
Austin whinged about Polledri being pinged but on the replay it looked correct - he was on one knee. Polledri was pretty awesome, shame he got poached!

Woodward had a shocker, Braley and Twelvetrees came apart at the seams under pressure. A real shame. Glos scored some fabulous tries though.

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 12:51
Quote:
Jammy Git
Quote:
Kent Fan
He was hired to change Glaws nearly men tag and has unearthed some young dynamic players who have had a good first year.

They just bottled a European final they were winning comfortably, so nearly men they remain.

... for the second year on the trot ! , which must be the most frustrating thing for their fans ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net