rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Is FB now our weakest position?
BuckQuin (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:10
The desire on here is always for us to bring in a gnarly hooker and/or a bristling, brutal hulk of a lock. Feels to me like for the first time in a long time, FB is actually where we're lacking. Next season we'll have lots of players who can "fill in" there - Swiel, Lang, Earle - but one of my favourite Quins players ever, Brownie, has proven this season that he's past his best and Aaron Morris just does not feel to me like the player to replace him.

Maybe Lang is being looked at as a long term option or maybe that's what Earle was being lined up for. Both of those would be compromises imo - Lang looks like he could develop into a very handy Farrell-esque 10/12 and Earle appears to have the athletic makeup to potentially be a terrorising winger.

Do we have other options at 15 I'm missing? If not, is it now our weakest position and who would we like to see brought in?

Re: Is FB now our weakest position?
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:22
Interesting. I think Brown has been pretty good but maybe not world class all the time. Plus, you cannot buy his gumption and fervour on the pitch. Maybe its time to make him Captain?

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:26
Chisholm (R) has been our backup FB as well. I'd say we haven't seen enough of Morris to say for certain if he's the future starting 15. One of our problems has been we've only really wanted to play him in games where we can field a few "second-string" players, and he's had some injuries at those times.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:04
This is our big ongoing issue.

We have no replacements for ďbigĒ players who are shortly to be past their best.

Hasnít happened since 2012 and weíre in trouble.

No new 15, no new 9, no new 4, no 2 to speak of.

Boonie (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:10
Mike Brown has been superb for so many years, it is hard to think of Quins without him - but that is true of so many in the past, and we go on without them. FB is a crucial position, as Brown has proved repeatedly, and it would be doing the 15 shirt a disservice if the club is not looking at a future without him.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

T-Bone (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 16:13
I'd say no, it's not our weakest position, but it is a position we need to sort out, for the above reasons. We have no clerar no 2, but a couple of decent ones, both with their own flaws, and some other players who can cover. Not sure if there's anyone in the academy being lined up.

after next season we should be looking to bring in a new first choice unless Morris improves a huge amount. The others are ok as back ups, but none look like decent first choice.

I'd still say lock or hooker is our weakest position, as we don't have a top class first choice (Horwill, but no first choice partner)

blucherquin (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 18:24
Quote:
T-Bone
I'd say no, it's not our weakest position, but it is a position we need to sort out, for the above reasons. We have no clerar no 2, but a couple of decent ones, both with their own flaws, and some other players who can cover. Not sure if there's anyone in the academy being lined up.
after next season we should be looking to bring in a new first choice unless Morris improves a huge amount. The others are ok as back ups, but none look like decent first choice.

I'd still say lock or hooker is our weakest position, as we don't have a top class first choice (Horwill, but no first choice partner)

Yeah but if youíre buying when you need a 1st choice youíre going to miss out. We should already have someone who could keep Brown and Care and Robshaw etc etc out for a game or two on form when they come back from England

No competition for old players places - itís killed us.

Cookie (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 08:06
I do think Morris is good enough if he can stay fit. But then how many players do we say that about? Whatever you think of Brown, heís still an international 15 that a lot of clubs would like to have. The cover is good enough IF it stays fit. With Brown, Morris, Chis and Swiel, we have far, far bigger problems than Full Back.

SouthCoastQuin (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 08:16
Our weakest link is not having a DOR in place and coaching team to provide direction, stability and clarity on who we are. The squad on paper is strong it just lacks direction.

Cookie (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 09:05
Brownie picked for the SA tour. EJ obviously still rates him more than some here........

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 09:12
Our poor defence has cast doubt on Brownie IMHO unfairly. It was the same when we played badly in the days of Dan Luger. He looked an awful winger when carrying out defence all the time. Imagine what Christian Wade or Willie Leroux would look like if they werenít the attacking side they are.

Totally agree that we need strong backup players to put pressure on the normal starters....some of the shining youngsters just havenít developed into the players we thought they were. Even Jack Clifford has stalled due to an horrific run of injury.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 09:12
Our poor defence has cast doubt on Brownie IMHO unfairly. It was the same when we played badly in the days of Dan Luger. He looked an awful winger when carrying out defence all the time. Imagine what Christian Wade or Willie Leroux would look like if they werenít the attacking side they are.

Totally agree that we need strong backup players to put pressure on the normal starters....some of the shining youngsters just havenít developed into the players we thought they were. Even Jack Clifford has stalled due to an horrific run of injury.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 09:24
Quote:
Cookie
Brownie picked for the SA tour. EJ obviously still rates him more than some here........

Dont think it is a case of not rating him, just that he is not really playing that well.

johnlid (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 10:02
Quote:
Kent Fan

Not disagreeing about Daniel Darko Luger's defence but his try scoring record was pretty awesome. Wkipedia says

"Although plagued by injury, his international record is exceptional: 24 tries in 38 matches. Only five players have scored more England tries"

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 10:33
Earle is in the SA tour squad will be interesting to see where Eddie plays him.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:16
Quote:
Kent Fan
Our poor defence has cast doubt on Brownie IMHO unfairly.

Very good point.

In terms of backup, we have individuals with great skills - Chis seems to pull off incredible last-ditch tackles; Swiel has great pace; Morris seems good but inconsistent.

Sadly we probably won't find another all-round player like Brown. I think the best that we can hope for is that the replacements are part of a stronger team, so that their individual weaknesses aren't so exposed and their strengths come to the fore.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net