So says today’s Times

Re: Gustard as Head Coach
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 07:50
Wow if so.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 08:00
I really hope this is true. Just the innovative guy we need to get “Quins best squad ever” playing.

Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 08:00
England face losing their defence coach just a year before the World Cup because he is a leading contender to become head coach of Harlequins.

Paul Gustard is in contention for the new position along with Ben Ryan, the former England and Fiji sevens coach, and Shaun Edwards, the Wales defence coach since 2008.

The Times understands that David Ellis, the chief executive, and the Harlequins recruitment panel held final interviews for the position yesterday. If Gustard were to leave the RFU it would cause significant upheaval to the England coaching set-up.

The Blindside (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 08:13
So would it be Paul Gustard head coach and Ben Ryan DOR.
That wouldnt upset me at all.

Bossman99 (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 08:15
Charlie Sale of the Daily Fail has this news about a week ago, I was surprised it didn’t get noticed by anyone on here. Though equally it is reassuring that few people here read that rag...

Cookie (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 08:27
Only says one of 3 in contention. Edwards and Ryan the others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 08:27 by Cookie.

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 08:32
Gettin a little excited now, my order of preference would be Gustard, Edwards then Ryan. Hope its announced soon.

gbarton24 (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 08:46
Could it be 2 of the 3 could join as DOR/coach or is it just one as coach and DOR will be someone not mentioned?

Rocker (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 09:05
Pretty happy with Edwards or Gustard. Ryan would be ok as long as head coach with a more experienced DOR above him IMHO.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 09:08
What about all three of them?

thomh (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 10:31
Quote:
Rocker
Pretty happy with Edwards or Gustard. Ryan would be ok as long as head coach with a more experienced DOR above him IMHO.

I’d actually look at it the other way round. Ryan has proved he can manage squads and when interviewed I’ve had the impression that he’s pretty focused on the management side of things, creating the right culture etc. I’d be happy with him as DOR provided there’s a proven experienced 15s head coach in there as well (a Gustard or Edwards)

Mayor West (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 13:33
It's been on the sports news on 5 live that Gustard is in contention but didn't name anybody else.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 13:36
Now all three named on bbc sport website.

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 13:41
So we could end up with a defence wolf pack to replace the current see a gap and let em through pack !

Stoquin (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 14:20
Could it be Gustard and Edward's that would be fantastic, absolute dream team for me

fandg2 (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 14:34
Quite like it to be Edwards, met and spoke with him a few times pitchside over the years, obviously knows his way around rugby circles but just came across as your down to earth regular rugby dad sort of guy.

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 14:43
Gustard would be an amazing coach for you guys, it will be ironic though based on how many people hate sarries that a sarries coach becomes the Quins coach but he will be awesome as Head coach, just like Edwards and I really think they should be the top 2, your defense and the attitude of the players will have to improve as neither man will tolerate the nonsense that has been allowed to go on at Quins for years now

jonf (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 14:57
Quote:
Stoquin
Could it be Gustard and Edward's that would be fantastic, absolute dream team for me

Agreed

raedarius (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 15:00
Quote:
Barnetsarrie12
your defense and the attitude of the players will have to improve as neither man will tolerate the nonsense that has been allowed to go on at Quins for years now

Isn't that the whole point?

12 May, 2018 15:02
Of course mate, it will just be weird seeing Gustard as Quins coach but he will be a great hire for you

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 15:10
Surely with Gustard & Edwards both being defence coaches, it would one of the two? Why would we employ two defence coaches? Would this mean that Ryan would compliment either of these two in a different more skills/attack role?

12 May, 2018 15:19
Edwards has been a Head Coach before at Wasps, they just both happen to be defense coaches at the moment. You can still get an attack/skills coach with one of those guys as DOR and the other as Head coach

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 15:31
3 really good names there. What worries me is are the other 2 Mapeltoft & Osbourn????

It wouldn’t surprise me at all....

TitusQuin (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 16:43
Good names. I would prefer Edwards as Gustard knows some of our England players already so is familiar and we know that has been part of the problem. Bring someone in who won’t be bothered for reputation, it is what the club needs.

Aren’t Gustard and Mapletoft former teammates from London Irish? Could see Mapletoft staying as a job for boys if Gustard got in.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 17:22
If Mapletoft and Easter aren’t sacked immediately I’m not going back next year. Useless ballast the pair of them.

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 18:52
Don’t think nepotism will be a factor there’s been enough time between Gustard and MM. I really don’t know what Osbourn does in fact what does a skills coach do? Surely players at this level have the skills and they are practised during all facets of training.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 21:36
Quote:
QuinAlan

Would this mean that Ryan would compliment either of these two in a different more skills/attack role?

Ooh! I think you have done awfully well.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 08:19
TRP mentions AN Other to take up the day to day management side, so one of these as head coach, I’m expecting Kennedy for the day to day stuff

Cookie (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 08:30
To be cleae, the plan is only to have one of the three.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2018 10:06 by Cookie.

jonf (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 08:51
Quote:
Banstead Quin
3 really good names there. What worries me is are the other 2 Mapeltoft & Osbourn????

...it would not surprise me either but if Ellis made that decision then he should only expect to keep his own job for for about 48 hours.

DOK (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 10:53
If I was the club I'd leave decision on the coaches to the new DOR - while letting him know they'd support any decision made.

The club is going to have to pay for Easter (for example) whether they keep him to the end of his contract or not. So if Gustard can use an "Assistant defence coach", then let's use him. If he's just going to get in the way, let's lose him.

Ditto all the rest. If we're going to have to pay £2.5m regardless of keeping them or firing them, let's try and get some use out of them. If they decide to resign, that's another story.

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 11:31
Quote:
DOK
If I was the club I'd leave decision on the coaches to the new DOR - while letting him know they'd support any decision made.
The club is going to have to pay for Easter (for example) whether they keep him to the end of his contract or not. So if Gustard can use an "Assistant defence coach", then let's use him. If he's just going to get in the way, let's lose him.

Ditto all the rest. If we're going to have to pay £2.5m regardless of keeping them or firing them, let's try and get some use out of them. If they decide to resign, that's another story.

I thought that was precisely what David Ellis said I seem to remember. Admittedly later on in the evening he did confuse the issue a bit by waffling on a bit about the importance of continuity and people with the Quins ethos (whatever that is these days).

Sketchley (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 12:01
I find it difficult to believe either Edwards or Gustard will leave year before world cup. I hope that doesn't mean they will be appointed but not join until after world cup or have dual roll until then. It must also be hard for MM to see his job (head coach) being openly recruited for, in any other company that would be constructive dismissal! Unless of course he's not an employee!

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 12:10
Quote:
Sketchley
I find it difficult to believe either Edwards or Gustard will leave year before world cup. I hope that doesn't mean they will be appointed but not join until after world cup or have dual roll until then. It must also be hard for MM to see his job (head coach) being openly recruited for, in any other company that would be constructive dismissal! Unless of course he's not an employee!

Edwards has openly courted offers recently.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 13:07
Quote:
DOK

Good point DOK. It would make financial sense and would also help them develop as coaches. Although I think the £2.5m was never confirmed!

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 13:09
Quote:
jonf
Quote:
Banstead Quin

...it would not surprise me either but if Ellis made that decision then he should only expect to keep his own job for for about 48 hours.

As has been pointed out ad nauseam these things will have been decided by a group of people, of which he is one. He may even be against the idea, but have been outvoted. But fine, slate the guy as much as you like.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 13:10
Can we have a sweepstake on how long before the "PG Out" posts begin? Bish must be hovering over the keyboard already grinning smiley

TheSouthfields2 (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 13:43
I can see easter joining the academy coaching staff to build experience, he was rather thrown into the Premiership coaching team before he was ready. Evans should remain imho, I think under the right leadership he could come good. Sadly for the others, it 'Taxi'!

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 13:48
I notice the Wail piece regarding Wales wanting to poach Marchant says that Howley is also in the frame...

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 14:03
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Can we have a sweepstake on how long before the "PG Out" posts begin? Bish must be hovering over the keyboard already grinning smiley

Not sure why you'd think that?

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 14:55
I think it's hard to know how good our coaches are seeing as the players apparently weren't happy and were so lacking in discipline. There have been a few very good defensive displays, but obviously nowhere near enough. Were they when the players went off script or managed to do what they'd been coached to do?

Same with attack - there were some really good attacking performances in the first half of the season before it all went to pot.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 16:04
Can anyone explain what the point is of having a CEO if he is not accountable for his decisions because they are in fact shared by a group higher up the chain..???

Robertquin (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 17:46
Does anyone know when the new appointment will be made and announced?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 17:48
Quote:
QuinAlan
Can anyone explain what the point is of having a CEO if he is not accountable for his decisions because they are in fact shared by a group higher up the chain..???

You want to sack the CEO because he renewed Kingston’s contract last September?

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 18:26
I'm asking if he is accountable & responsible.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 22:15
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Maybe it's just me, but when I see a smiley at the end of a comment, I give consideration that it might be an attempt at humour. Maybe you should try that approach.

Camquin (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 22:46
The point of a CEO is to give the board someone to sack. :-)
Board set policy, but CEO and the rest of the executive run day to day operations.

14 May, 2018 10:47
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Maybe it's just me, but when I see a smiley at the end of a comment, I give consideration that it might be an attempt at humour. Maybe you should try that approach.

Okay so by adding a smiley at the end this allows a snide pop at posters who don't agree with you.

I like it.

Can we have a sweepstake on how long before the "This is why we shouldn't have sacked JK" posts begin? QK must be hovering over the keyboard already grinning smiley

BuckQuin (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 11:02
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Okay so by adding a smiley at the end this allows a snide pop at posters who don't agree with you.

I like it.

Can we have a sweepstake on how long before the "This is why we shouldn't have sacked JK" posts begin? QK must be hovering over the keyboard already grinning smiley

Get a room already you two. (Sm100)

Totally baffles me some of the petty "indifferences" people are able to sustain out of nothing on this board. Not just referring to this occasion, can people not just chill? I realise I'm making myself part of this particular disagreement. Meta.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 12:50
Isn't a petty indifference rather hyperbollox?

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 13:08
Quote:
BuckQuin

Totally baffles me some of the petty "indifferences" people are able to sustain out of nothing on this board. Not just referring to this occasion, can people not just chill? I realise I'm making myself part of this particular disagreement. Meta.

It baffles me. I made a light-hearted comment yet TSW (only TSW) seemed to get his panties in a bunch about it, deeming it a snide dig. I'm glad I'm not paranoid.

JimJam350 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 14:16
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Quinky Kin

I like it.

Can we have a sweepstake on when you will grow up and stop your ridiculous vendetta?

(Note no smiley face)

The Blindside (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 14:18
So what do we think the chances are of hearing this week about either new DOR or Head coach appointment.I have already signed up again for my season ticket next season, but i know a number of people who are waiting for an announcement.

TitusQuin (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 14:47
Quote:
TheSouthfields2
I can see easter joining the academy coaching staff to build experience, he was rather thrown into the Premiership coaching team before he was ready. Evans should remain imho, I think under the right leadership he could come good. Sadly for the others, it 'Taxi'!

I find it quite difficult to believe one would be good and need demoting/sacking and the other not. If we were to analyse each aspect of our game then all was rubbish. Line out/Maul probably the worst, defence, kicking, attack(worst statistics for a long time). I also find it hard to believe that anyone but the top people are responsible. If the DOR/head coach is asking for a certain style and coaches/players have to assist(may not agree) then they are doing their jobs. And we have heard the players didn't agree with the 'style' and that can only come from the top guys.

I think Evans and Easter have been thrown into the deep end but under poor management which doesn't mean they are necessarily poor coaches. Shaun Edwards who I think would be a great appointment didn't get going until Gatland joined Wasps, previously he was under Melville who came across a bit of a wet blanket from memory. Even SE needed a good man above him.

The one I am dubious about is Rowntree. Our pack has only got worse and he was part of the pussycat England pack during the last world cup. I know he is a Lions coach but only did the scrums(and we remember what happened to Vickery in '09)

The rest have been around too long.

14 May, 2018 15:18
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
BuckQuin

It baffles me. I made a light-hearted comment yet TSW (only TSW) seemed to get his panties in a bunch about it, deeming it a snide dig. I'm glad I'm not paranoid.

Love how it's always a 'light-hearted' comment when you say it but when I make the same light-hearted comment I'm 'paranoid'.

Anyway...away from that ridiculous hypocrisy and the fact that those who moan about me and QK debating take up more board space than the original posts themselves...

The point is that I'm sure there will be lots of people who supported JK who can't wait to jump on the new guy because it fits their agenda, and I'm sure there are lots of people who can't wait to jump on the new guy because it fits their anti-Ellis agenda etc etc.

I just hope that most people can actually wait and see how things go and not decide their position before whoever it is has had time to put some changes in place.

Too many people picked their side on JK from day 1 and then stubbornly stuck to it regardless of what was happening on the pitch.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 15:21
I suspect the partnership with NZ puts some pressure on keeping Evans. It's also a tough job for an attack coach if the forwards are poor and the only fit 10 is a schoolboy, to say nothing about not having enough good attacking ball because we keep getting turned over at ruck, maul, scrum and lineout, as well as giving away heaps of penalties...

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 16:57
Quote:
TitusQuin
Quote:
TheSouthfields2

I find it quite difficult to believe one would be good and need demoting/sacking and the other not. If we were to analyse each aspect of our game then all was rubbish. Line out/Maul probably the worst, defence, kicking, attack(worst statistics for a long time). I also find it hard to believe that anyone but the top people are responsible. If the DOR/head coach is asking for a certain style and coaches/players have to assist(may not agree) then they are doing their jobs. And we have heard the players didn't agree with the 'style' and that can only come from the top guys.

I think Evans and Easter have been thrown into the deep end but under poor management which doesn't mean they are necessarily poor coaches. Shaun Edwards who I think would be a great appointment didn't get going until Gatland joined Wasps, previously he was under Melville who came across a bit of a wet blanket from memory. Even SE needed a good man above him.

The one I am dubious about is Rowntree. Our pack has only got worse and he was part of the pussycat England pack during the last world cup. I know he is a Lions coach but only did the scrums(and we remember what happened to Vickery in '09)

The rest have been around too long.

It's a mystery - we went from having a really good scrum to a very poor one. As for changing all of the coaches, that's a quandary; a new broom sweeps clean and a new DoR may well have a team in mind - but will they be available, and if so, in time? But keeping one or more existing coaches is a gamble due to their track record. Tofty could argue that he was a part of the successful period, but he wasn't head coach then. Also, what if the one coach was ineffective because one of the other coaches' input was affecting the overall play of the team.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 18:06
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
BuckQuin

Are you sure you’re not paranoid? Remember just because you’re not doesn’t mean we aren’t all out to get you.

D-Quins (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 19:11
Hi,

of all the quins coaches I put money on Osbourn still being there come the new regime. He has a good reputation in the industry and having seen him in action he is very good

D-Quins

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 19:41
What does Osbourne do?

D-Quins (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 20:49
Skills Coach

blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 22:05
Quote:
D-Quins
Skills Coach

Yeah that’s gone well:

P45.

Down job club with Mapletoft and Easter please.

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 22:25
Skills coach - mmm interesting !!

kevin (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 22:54
Quote:
D-Quins
Hi,
of all the quins coaches I put money on Osbourn still being there come the new regime. He has a good reputation in the industry and having seen him in action he is very good

D-Quins
I watched him and Tom Moses working training sessions many years ago. On pitch where flats are now. Good to watch.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 11:26
Sam Warburton on the beeb

[www.bbc.co.uk]

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 12:51
Hope Edwards decides to come to Quins - just what we need in my opinion

Wyddy (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 13:20
Where's this imminent announcement? Looks about as imminent as my long promised pay rise!!!

never sleep (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:08
I think that Tom Williams and Osborne should be left alone. I think that generally, they are more involved in the academies, etc. I personally think that these areas are quite successful - so should be left alone.
E.g. Marcus Smith was part of a team that actually won us some silverware last year.
Long term, I would like to see Williams moving up through the coaching levels. He has already been involved in England's U20 set up.

Arlequin (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 17:44
Would it be possible for Gustard to Head Coach Quins and still be involved in England set up ? Especially if someone like Ryan took management, contracts, media off him?

If we lost our DOR for the Anglo Welsh Cup and a handful of premiership games its not the end of the world

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 18:00
That may be ok for an interim position Arlequin if it was only a few months till the World Cup but not sustainable if your looking to build a squad and game plan.

Plus all the whinging about it on here when we have a rough patch!!!

WoTQuin (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 20:49
Reviewing Shaun Edwards’ record at Wasps particularly as Head Coach, he undoubtedly should be our number one target. If there is really a chance of getting him, our Board must grab it quickly.

New Forest Quin (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 23:43
Quote:
never sleep
I think that Tom Williams and Osborne should be left alone. I think that generally, they are more involved in the academies, etc. I personally think that these areas are quite successful - so should be left alone.
E.g. Marcus Smith was part of a team that actually won us some silverware last year.
Long term, I would like to see Williams moving up through the coaching levels. He has already been involved in England's U20 set up.

Completely agree about Tom Williams.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 08:54
Interesting that Tom W is serving his apprenticeship with the academy where Mint & Snapper were straight into the first team coaching.

Of the other guys just can’t understand why the forwards have been so poor and this not being addressed by JK who was a highly regarded forward specialist. If Graham Roundtree wasn’t delivering why has he been allowed to stay and even given an extension contract.

tani fuga fan boy (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 09:15
sounds like we are quite far along, anyone have any inkling as to when we are likely to announce?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net