Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Gustard as Head Coach
fandg2 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:03
Quote:
tani fuga fan boy
sounds like we are quite far along, anyone have any inkling as to when we are likely to announce?

The only inkling I have is that it'll be by the 23rd May, which is the deadline for seat renewals. But I've been wrong before lol

PickledPelican (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:19
Tom Williams is also 1st team coach at Esher Rugby Club (national 1).
Plus..
Quins academy & England U20.
Busy chap....

QuinningWays (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:31
"Before the end of the week' - Evening Standard.

Although that seems to be the structure, rather than the individuals appointed.

Link

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2018 10:33 by QuinningWays.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 11:30
Quote:
QuinningWays
"Before the end of the week' - Evening Standard.
Although that seems to be the structure, rather than the individuals appointed.

Link

Further down it suggests the appointments will hopefully be done by the end of the season:

Quote:
The recruitment panel, which includes former All Blacks hooker Sean Fitzpatrick, is confident of having both appointments sewn up by the end of the Premiership season (the final is a week on Saturday at Twickenham).

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 14:22
I'm not sure that makes sense to me. Assuming the "General Manager" role is akin to that of Performance Director in football, then the DoR role still has overall responsibility for the day to day running of the team. Surely don't we then still need a Head Coach (if the original rumours are to be believed)? Equally, if "General Manager" is actually "DoR" and "DoR" is actually "Head Coach", why not just call them that? Or am I missing something?

gbarton24 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 14:30
Sounds like Ryan for the GM role, which in US sports and German football, they handle the hiring and contracts, player development process of the wider team etc, whilst Edwards or Gustard for head coach, doing the day to day coaching of the 1st team. Would make sense given Ryan seems to have done consultancy type jobs for GMs since leaving Fiji. This splitting of roles seems to work in the sports that have it, will be interesting to see if it works here. Are there any other clubs which split it like that? Think I read Gloucester have something like it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2018 16:12 by gbarton24.

thomh (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 15:51
Don't Leinster have something similar? A "head of rugby operations", with Cullen and then Lancaster below.

gbarton24 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 16:29
I thought Cullen was head coach and Lancaster is a deputy

thomh (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 17:54
Quote:
gbarton24

Yes but there's an additional rugby management layer above Cullen, I believe

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 18:00
I wonder if the announcement is being held until all appointments can be announced at the same time? Or whether the DoR appointment is subject to certain other individuals accepting roles?

16 May, 2018 18:12
The WRU CEO side-stepped a question i9n an interview in Walesonline regarding Edwards being linked to us:

Quote:
Q: The Wales defence coach Shaun Edwards has been linked with the vacant job at Harlequins. Is that a concern for you at all?
A: A lot of coaches are out of contract at the World Cup. Thatís how it works. I am sure there will be daily and weekly speculation for all countries. I donít really take a lot of notice of it to be honest. It just comes up all the time and I am sure there will be plenty of that in the next few months.

gbarton24 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 18:47
Quote:
thomh
Quote:
gbarton24

Yes but there's an additional rugby management layer above Cullen, I believe

Ah, I get what youíre saying, misread it

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 18:50
RIL (Yes I know, please don't tell me off) has revealed that Gustard in believed to have agreed terms and will leave England after the SA Tour.

Brilliant for us if true, bad for England if true!!

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 19:08
Is RIL the bloke who just makes stuff up?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 19:11
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

To be fair, he gets some wrong and some right (He called the Gloucs and Bristol rebrands) plus quite a few transfers also. Either way, just passing on what I read.

DOK (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 20:12
According to rugbypass, announcement to be made on Monday.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 22:12
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

To be fair, he gets some wrong and some right (He called the Gloucs and Bristol rebrands) plus quite a few transfers also. Either way, just passing on what I read.

You should ask Joe Marler about RIL's accuracy!

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Navyquin (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 09:39
Quote:
Jammy Git
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

You should ask Joe Marler about RIL's accuracy!

He certainly does seem to have it in for Harlequins. This is the same guy who got shot down by Julian Saveas wife after saying Savea to Quins was a done deal.

Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 09:42
This was tweeted this morning ...

@QuinsFOTS

1 hour ago

#Harlequins hearing that Gustard will be confirmed today but no mention if GM position is going to be announced

0 replies . 2 retweets 11 likes
Reply Retweet 2 Like 11 Direct message

18 May, 2018 10:19
I would prefer Edwards out of the ones who have been mentioned, but I guess I'd be pretty happy with Gustard. Wonder who will be his Rhubarb?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 10:20
smiling smiley

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 10:29
BellyLaugh says it might be today....

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

18 May, 2018 11:08
Fissler has tweeted saying RIL are guessing. Mind you, so does he half the time!

Navyquin (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 11:59
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Fissler has tweeted saying RIL are guessing. Mind you, so does he half the time!

They used to have little spats on Twitter all the time over rumours, Fissler certainly doesn't like to think anyone may know as a much of him and get a quite defensive over his self declared god of rugby rumours tag line

Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 12:20
RugbyInsideLine
@RugbyInsideLine

Follow Follow @RugbyInsideLine

TRANSFER RUMOUR: We have been told by a very good source today that Paul Gustard is believed to have agreed terms with Harlequins.

As Eddie has said today, he will travel to South Africa, however apparently he wonít be with England after that. #NonDenialDenial

Replying to @zurichosprey

Heís been included on a list of front runners along with Shaun Edwards and Ben Ryan, but weíre saying itís done. May even be announced today.

1:16 am - 18 May 2018

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 21:40
Chris Jones has just tweeted:

Exclusive: Gustardís England exit moves closer as Quins approach RFU over release. More on BBC shortly

DOK (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 23:02
They were never going to announce it the same day as the wedding, be reasonable.

RFU approached re Gustard release
NicoWilson (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 21:26
Seen on Twitter:

Quote:
@chjones9
Exclusive: Gustardís England exit moves closer as Quins approach RFU over release. More on BBC shortly

Twitter link

Re: RFU approached re Gustard release
Linkinquin (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 21:35

RugbyInsideLine (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 22:26
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

(Sm159)

20 May, 2018 23:38
And then deletes Tweets that you got wrong? That's what I heard!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net