rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Joe Marchant - tidy, see.
Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 11:32
Wales looking to poach him and 4 other English lads.

Re: Joe Marchant - tidy, see.
Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 11:56
Really? He was unlucky to miss out on an England cap through injury last summer, has taken part in England training camps, & played at U18s and U20 for England & is listed as missing this summer's camp due to injury.

CPB62 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 06:50
International Rugby you may as well have a transfer system !!! England play Kiwis South Africans and SSI's, Scotland and Wales dig out roots in peoples past, Italy play anyone who has been to Italy, Isn't it about time they adopted the football stance and got a grip on the situation.

Navyquin (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 09:57
Quote:
CPB62
International Rugby you may as well have a transfer system !!! England play Kiwis South Africans and SSI's, Scotland and Wales dig out roots in peoples past, Italy play anyone who has been to Italy, Isn't it about time they adopted the football stance and got a grip on the situation.

It is getting a bit silly now, England usually get heavily criticised for it but are not the worst for it but after all England is the pantomime villian, I think New Zealand and Scotland are the worst. I think one the prime examples for the 6 nations squads is Wales pursuit of Anscombe to fill a gap they needed and the placement if him in a regional team to gain citizenship.

akb1 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 13:36
Quote:
Navyquin
Quote:
CPB62

It is getting a bit silly now, England usually get heavily criticised for it but are not the worst for it but after all England is the pantomime villian, I think New Zealand and Scotland are the worst. I think one the prime examples for the 6 nations squads is Wales pursuit of Anscombe to fill a gap they needed and the placement if him in a regional team to gain citizenship.

I seem to remember for one of the Rugby World cups someone had done some analysis of all the teams and their foreign born players. Although NZ had a quite few players born outside the country, I don't think they had the most, however I think NZ had more players born in their country playing for other teams, than any other country.

akb1 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 13:50
found this for the 2015 world cup.

[www.walesonline.co.uk]

Navyquin (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 11:27
Quote:
akb1
found this for the 2015 world cup.
[www.walesonline.co.uk]

I remember reading that a while ago and it is certainly interesting. I think the percentage of Scotland's 6 nations squad not born in Scotaland was about 40-45% but could be wrong.

CPB62 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 11:51
But it shouldn't be where you were born it should be either Nationality of Parents, or Where you grew up.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 12:20
Quote:
CPB62
But it shouldn't be where you were born it should be either Nationality of Parents, or Where you grew up.

Or even your own nationality.

BB

akb1 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 12:25
Quote:
CPB62

I was just trying to point out that NZ don't have more 'foreigners' than other teams which is often said.

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:52
He won’t go to Wales anyway, bit of a non story really.

Once he has a good pre-season and starts well for us, he’ll be in the AI squad so no harm done.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 17:13
Yes I think were a bit past pretending theres an easy crowd pleasing definition of what your nationality is....

For a start our latest Kiwi actually has two English parents and our favourite lad Billy V is as English as the royal family.

CPB62 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 17:47
But he tried to play for NZ but suffered from lack of ability syndrome. So England came calling and he was off, he nailed his flag to kiwi mast and that should have been it.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 17:52
He was called up and had the offer rescinded when he told them he was going to Wasps.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

CPB62 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 18:22
But who did he play age level rugby for, and how long did he wait for kiwi call. You have players who pick and choose and switch countries it is wrong. Its the same with cricket.

Rocker (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 18:47
Nonsense Brad's parents are both English and he is going to be playing for Wasps as of September. He's more English than plenty in England teams before!

CPB62 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 19:03
Yes but he chose to play age level rugby for NZ now he has changed his mind. Bet wasps offered him more money so it was convenient for him. Is it fair that an English player who played age level for England is now missing out. If he wanted to be an England player why didnt he make the decision at the age of 18?

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 19:21
Quote:
If he wanted to be an England player why didnt he make the decision at the age of 18?

Why should he have?

Yareet (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 20:27
Quote:
CPB62
Yes but he chose to play age level rugby for NZ now he has changed his mind. Bet wasps offered him more money so it was convenient for him. Is it fair that an English player who played age level for England is now missing out. If he wanted to be an England player why didnt he make the decision at the age of 18?

Hes just taken Ross Moriartys place

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 22:00
Quote:
CPB62

It's a bit rich to complain about English age group players missing out when several of them have been picked to tour alongside Shields. May the best English qualified player win.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

D-Quins (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 22:07
I think the point below needs to be understood

"Yes but he chose to play age level rugby for NZ now he has changed his mind."

When you are young you generally live with your parents, they can have jobs around the world, My Daughter played rugby for Ontario at a junior age group. She was born in Frimley to a German Mother and an English Dad. She was able to play for Ontario and Canada at age group because she lives here with us. Unfortunately she never got picked for Canada and has given the game up now she is at University.

World Rugby does not tie you to a country until you are an adult, the point being until your an adult, your junior representative rugby is going to be very geographically based as you live with your parents generally.

She could in theory play for any of Germany, England, Wales (welsh Grandmother) or Canada (now a citizen of Canada and been resident here for 5 years) as an adult.

My heart would say England but she has to make her mind up

Regards

D-Quins

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 07:14
Quote:
CPB62
Yes but he chose to play age level rugby for NZ...

Like, erm, Martin Johnson?

CPB62 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 09:25
Yes, Once you play for a country at a level over the age of 18 (could be 16) that should be who you stick with, not go around trying to find a country.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:35
That is sort of the system as it stands. You are tied to a country when you play for either the senior First team or the level below (Saxons, Wolfhounds, etc.). The problem is that some countries don't/didn't have such a side, so they used the highest age-group team as their nominated second team (see Wales U20 a few years ago.

Yareet (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 11:25
Quote:
CPB62
Yes, Once you play for a country at a level over the age of 18 (could be 16) that should be who you stick with, not go around trying to find a country.

But 18 is an arbitrary number based (I would suspect) on the UK age of majority. Globally that ranges from 15 to 21.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 22:16
Wasn't there speculation a few years ago that France were going to make Steffon Armitage eligible to play for them by selecting him for the Sevens team first? Or some other such wangle.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 06:56
Quote:
CPB62

What does it matter? Does it really bother you? The guy is English, so seems fair enough to me.

Vunipola isnt English. Seems alright.

Its about 40 years too late to think its going to change.

My favourite Top Trump cricketer as a kid was Basil DOlivera.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/05/2018 06:58 by blucherquin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net