Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gustard Confirmed as 'Head of Rugby'
Scamble (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 12:51
[www.quins.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2018 12:52 by Scamble.

Re: Gustard Confirmed as 'Head of Rugby'
Wyddy (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 12:56
Absolutely chuffed. The only question this does bring up is - how come we didn't do this when Conor left the club!?!?

Hopefully the next confirmation will be Ben Ryan in as General Manager.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 12:58
Quote:
Wyddy
Absolutely chuffed. The only question this does bring up is - how come we didn't do this when Conor left the club!?!?

To be fair, it's a bit of a departure from the usual structure of club rugby. I'm not sure there's many other clubs that have two roles like this...

Scamble (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 13:00
Doesn't mean it's sure to work but at least this feels like something we can get behind and get excited about!

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 13:33
Ok here we go then, see what happens next. I agree with Scramble, I feel genuinely excited about this new turn from the playing side.

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 13:29
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
Wyddy

To be fair, it's a bit of a departure from the usual structure of club rugby. I'm not sure there's many other clubs that have two roles like this...

Gloucester does I think

InsertQuinsPunHere (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 13:31
Excellent news... if he can give us the defensive platform he gave Sarries, then our potential natural attacking talent may come to fruition!

T-Bone (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 13:31
Good stuff.

Not that experienced DoR a lot wanted, but I think this looks like a very positive appointment, especially with the new job split.

Welcome Paul. Now need to see who is confirmed as the GM and if there is any shake up with the coaches

le tiss (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 13:33
does anyone actually know exactly what sort of non-playing duties the general manager is going to be doing? Does it include recruitment etc?

21 May, 2018 13:37
Quote:
le tiss
does anyone actually know exactly what sort of non-playing duties the general manager is going to be doing? Does it include recruitment etc?

This is the split in responsibilities as reported in the Torygraph:

Quote:
The appointment sees the previous Director of Rugby role at Harlequins split in two, Head of Rugby and General Manager (Rugby). Gustard, 42, as Head of Rugby, will over-see the day-to-day coaching of Harlequins’ rugby squads.
He will work alongside the General Manager (Rugby), who will be responsible for enabling high-performance across the club’s entire rugby department (including women and academy structures), player and coach recruitment and contracts.
Both posts will report to the Chief Executive. Ellis added: "We will be announcing the appointment of a new General Manager in due course. The two leadership roles in the Club's new rugby operations structure is an important step towards our long-term ambition of taking Harlequins back to the very top of English and European rugby.”

blucherquin (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 13:42
Quote:
le tiss

Yes - it does say in the Quins press release

“The appointment sees the previous Director of Rugby role at Harlequins split in two, Head of Rugby and General Manager (Rugby). Gustard, 42, as Head of Rugby, will over-see the day-to-day coaching of Harlequins’ rugby squads. He will work alongside the General Manager (Rugby), who will be responsible for enabling high-performance across the Club’s entire rugby department (including women and academy structures), player and coach recruitment and contracts. Both posts will report to the Chief Executive.”

The Telegroah has just printed the club statement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2018 13:43 by blucherquin.

le tiss (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 13:51
Thanks chaps. That's really interesting, especially the bit about being responsible for coach recruitment. If the two chaps don't see eye to eye there is plenty of scope for friction.

gbarton24 (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 13:57
GMs in other sports do all the other work other than the actual first team coaching. So Gustard should just be focussing on the day to day coaching, whilst the GM, with Gustard's input I imagine on player recruitment, handles contracts, player development, club ethos etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2018 13:58 by gbarton24.

Barty II (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 14:16
Sarries fan in peace

Incredible coup for you guys - have to say will have very mixed feelings seeing the man responsible for a large part of our success in another shirt. Am sure he will solve a hell of a lot of the issues you've had the last few seasons, certainly got the best out of our squad.

I don't doubt you'll be back at the sharp end if he's given enough time. Tongue in cheek comment here but now that you've got the man responsible for "boring, boring Sarries" at the helm, will you be happy watching "boring, boring Quins" if it brings success?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 14:21
I keep hearing that this is some kind of exciting new structure, but isn't Gustard effectively head coach, and we are now looking for a DoR?

Boonie (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 14:28
I think the main feeling is relief - this bit is sorted, and looks to be sorted well, so we can now move forward.

Now, let's see what happens next... smiling smiley

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

21 May, 2018 14:28
Nope, Rodders. Before we had a DoR to whom the Head Coach reported. The DoR was responsible not only for overseeing the Day to Day side of team selection, coaching (in a hands off way) etc, but also longer term thinking like recruitment, coach selection, etc. The new structure takes the two jobs of DoR & HC, mixes up all the responsibilities, then splits them between two equal roles reporting to the CEO. I have no doubt that the GM will have take the input from Gustard in his HoR role when looking at the recruitment for next & future seaosns.

One thing in all of this is where does that leave Mapletoft?

edited to make it clear I was saying no to RR....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2018 14:30 by Fearless Fred.

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 14:31
Pleased the club has looked at up and coming coaching talent, rather than previous DoR's who have been around the block and also home grown - he could be a future England Head Coach.

He has had success at club level as assistant and international level - time to see if he can step up to the number 1.

Good choice - if it goes wrong then so be it, it won't be for the lack of effort.

I'm excited!

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 14:31
Good that we have Gustard, but I wonder who will be responsible for match-day squad selection? If it's a joint effort, what if there is a difference of opinion?

Also, where does this leave the current coaches?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2018 14:32 by Quinky Kin.

21 May, 2018 14:33
I think Gustard will have responsibility for the team selection. I think the GM(R) role is more a planning & long-term strategic one. You could even say it's the equivalent of what Teflon did at the RFU

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 14:43
I'm a little concerned. Whose head do we call for if things don't go to plan? We need to know!

Cookie (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 14:54
Quote:
RodneyRegis
I'm a little concerned. Whose head do we call for if things don't go to plan? We need to know!

If you think it’s the coaching, then Gustard.

If you think it’s recruitment and player retention, then the other new guy.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 14:58
Where does this leave Mapletoft?

Sacked. Or he’d better be or there’s no point in any of this.

Where does this leave Easter?

Hmm. I want him gone. But maybe he gets demoted to academy and actually learns how to coach with Gustard in charge.

Either way neither of them should be anywhere near our first XV.

Scamble (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 15:09

Tarquin (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 15:15
Whoa, he looks well 'ard!

Learn, play, keep ya gob shut(DC) or lose the shirt and push off

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2018 15:51 by DOK.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 15:34
Quote:
blucherquin
Where does this leave Mapletoft?
Sacked. Or he’d better be or there’s no point in any of this.

Where does this leave Easter?

Hmm. I want him gone. But maybe he gets demoted to academy and actually learns how to coach with Gustard in charge.

Either way neither of them should be anywhere near our first XV.

Depending on what it costs to offload individuals, it may be worth keeping them on in an assistant role.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 15:37
Looking at this from JK's perspective, he may have mixed feelings about being regarded as a little unsuccessful latterly when the Club now makes it obvious that its a big job requiring two men.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 15:40
Echo the above comments as to where does this leave Mapletoft?

Easter can now learn under Gustard, if that's what Gustard wants. Not sure who Evans will learn from, but he's been to NZ already, so hopefully picked up some more stuff there.

Can't decide now whether I think the clear out should coninue or the current coaches be given another season under new direction. Either way, the most important thing is that the decision is taken by the new guys, so the players, coaches, etc all know that the new structure is what the new guys want and not what has been forced on them.

21 May, 2018 16:03
Fabulous news, shows real intend..... just some of the existing coaching staff to clear out now!?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 16:18
Quote:
T-Bone
Echo the above comments as to where does this leave Mapletoft?
Easter can now learn under Gustard, if that's what Gustard wants. Not sure who Evans will learn from, but he's been to NZ already, so hopefully picked up some more stuff there.

Can't decide now whether I think the clear out should coninue or the current coaches be given another season under new direction. Either way, the most important thing is that the decision is taken by the new guys, so the players, coaches, etc all know that the new structure is what the new guys want and not what has been forced on them.

+1

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

DOK (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 16:49
I wouldn't object if they waited to see if there's something they could do with the existing coaches, as long as it didn't detract from the main job of getting the team to perform.

If it's going to take 20% of Gustard's time training the coaches, then that time could be better used elsewhere unless at a later date he's convinced they'll become real contributors.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 16:52
Quote:
Tarquin
Whoa, he looks well 'ard!
Learn, play, keep ya gob shut(DC) or lose the shirt and push off
He also looks suitably embarrassed by that video.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 16:55
Would be happy for Easter to stay in some capacity, I'm sure gustard can sort the defence out. Would really like to see mapletoft go.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 17:03
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Would be happy for Easter to stay in some capacity, I'm sure gustard can sort the defence out. Would really like to see mapletoft go.

Out of interest why keep Easter?

He’s first on my list of “totally terrible appointment former Quins kept on in cozy mates deals to the detriment of the dressing room and progress”

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 17:12
I guess you're hoping Gustard doesn't keep him on then!

TitusQuin (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 17:18
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
RodneyRegis

He’s first on my list of “totally terrible appointment former Quins kept on in cozy mates deals to the detriment of the dressing room and progress”

Very personal assumption. From brief discussions over the last two seasons I have had with players they (ironically) rate him-now this could be because of a ‘cozy mates’ belief but wouldn’t bet everyone is.
The head coach is responsible for aligning with the other coaches. If Easter, Evans etc didn’t agree with Tofty or did his bidding they can’t be blamed.

Anyway with Gustard now in charge there can be no excuses but will chuckle at the first PG out posts that are bound to come along

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 17:26
How can anyone still want Easter anywhere near the team? He's had two years of overseeing one of the worst defences in Premiership history! Him & Mapletoft really have to go & I'm still unsure as to what Nick Evans offers as a coach? So, yes please to Paul Gustard but we need to see a lot more changes before I look upon it as starting to move forward again.

thomh (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 17:29
Personal assumption or not, we only conceded 11 points fewer than London Irish, averaging 29 points conceded per game.

There'll be more than one reason for that and it isn't necessarily Easter's fault, but it doesn't change the fact that his specific area of responsibility has been pretty dreadful.

Quins4life (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 18:06
[www.youtube.com]

First thoughts from Gustard. Have to say he comes across very impressively.

MrOther (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 18:11
Yes, agree: lots of ancillary questions still to answer (coach clear out or not, relationship with the new GM) but ...

... the biggest question is answered, and answered well, in the form of a well-hard, well-proven Englishman.

I for one am delighted.

Welcome Paul.

Looking forward to a semi-final face off with Sarries (they having finished top and Quins fourth) this time next year.

lechef (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 18:11
Well how nice to hear you all speak so highly of an ex Saracen player. When you normally haven't a good word to say about Saracens

CPB62 (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 18:17
Sadly all this enthusiasm is misguided we are only hoping this works, you have an untried or tested number 1. I personally reckon it’s only a 50/50 call that this will work. Look at his recent England record the defence against Scotland and Ireland was woeful. It’s like some of you are kids being given a box of chocolates, exciting for a while but they are soon gone. Give him a chance yes but if things haven’t improved by this time next year then another sacking will be required.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 18:27
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
RodneyRegis

Forgive me, I should have been more specific. By in some capacity I meant nothing beyond tea boy, academy 3rd in command. Certainly not a position of any note. I think he has clearly decided to go into coaching, and we have probably made promises. But he needs to learn his trade.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 18:31
Quote:
Quins4life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rndlZd_M_lY
First thoughts from Gustard. Have to say he comes across very impressively.

We've got a lot of talented players here but it's the team that counts, and that's what I'll be emphasising. Good.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 18:33
Quote:
lechef
Well how nice to hear you all speak so highly of an ex Saracen player. When you normally haven't a good word to say about Saracens

Oh bore off.

Rocker (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 18:54
Just listening to Pitbull's podcast, sounds like it isn't Ryan. He's on it with Brian and says he was interviewed for the job Gustard now has....

21 May, 2018 18:47
Quote:
Rocker
Just listening to Pitbull's podcast, sounds like it isn't Ryan. He's on it with Brian and says he was interviewed for the job Gustard now has....

There's a number of sources saying he was interested in both jobs, so there's no reason to say (at least at the moment) that him interviewing for the HoR post rules him out of being the GM(R)...

blucherquin (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 19:00
Quote:
lechef

Go boil your fez, with your head in it. How’s that?

Silly little man.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 19:02
Quote:
TitusQuin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
RodneyRegis

Very personal assumption. From brief discussions over the last two seasons I have had with players they (ironically) rate him-now this could be because of a ‘cozy mates’ belief but wouldn’t bet everyone is.
The head coach is responsible for aligning with the other coaches. If Easter, Evans etc didn’t agree with Tofty or did his bidding they can’t be blamed.

Anyway with Gustard now in charge there can be no excuses but will chuckle at the first PG out posts that are bound to come along

Who else’s opinion am I meant to have?

But either way - he’s the defence coach. We have the worst defence in the league by miles.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 19:04
Quote:
CPB62
Sadly all this enthusiasm is misguided we are only hoping this works, you have an untried or tested number 1. I personally reckon it’s only a 50/50 call that this will work. Look at his recent England record the defence against Scotland and Ireland was woeful. It’s like some of you are kids being given a box of chocolates, exciting for a while but they are soon gone. Give him a chance yes but if things haven’t improved by this time next year then another sacking will be required.

Do you only troll and patronise people here or do you have a wider remit?

CPB62 (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 19:34
No it’s called level headed, he has no track record in this type of role, and it’s not trolling to put a wider perspective on things,. Why do you think there isn’t a chance it could go wrong? I’ve explained why it could

21 May, 2018 19:40
I would argue that he's got a pretty decent track record with both Sarries and England (although neither without their hiccoughs).

I would also argue that suggesting another sacking if he doesn't perform within a year is misguided at best, foolish at worst. That sounds more like hyperbole than the level headedness you purport to project.

CPB62 (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 19:42
Yes as a coach it’s decent, but he had someone telling him what to do or at least advise.

Dave L (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 19:53
Quote:
CPB62
Yes as a coach it’s decent, but he had someone telling him what to do or at least advise.

And he’ll be supported by the General Manager. He won’t be doing everything on his own.

Good appointment I feel.

raedarius (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 19:55
Disregard - awful conflation of Quins and England news in Quins' Barbarians article made me think they were looking to replace Easter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2018 20:04 by raedarius.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 19:56
Can’t understan£ some of the negativity about Paul’s experience.

We have got the change we wanted, with a young, dynamic, innovative coach with international experience.

After COS went we drifted into the old boy network type of management and coaching style that has destroyed the potential of the squad by being too cosy with no real competition for staring places.

I’m sure it won’t change immediately but I’m sure the first achievement will be a return to the Stoop being a difficult place to win at.

Welcome Paul and good luck with what is a big but rewarding project.

21 May, 2018 19:58
Quote:
CPB62

True, but he covers that in his YouTube interview, posted above. Of course it's talk when he says he's learnt a lot from different people and has his own ideas about how to coach. But I think that's what makes it exciting. I'm looking forward to going on that journey with him and our team.

Everyone has to take a step up every now and then.

He's obviously impressed someone (and most posters on here) with what he's said/projected. I understand that you have reservations, but let's not get down before we've even started the season. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2018 19:59 by InsertQuinsPunHere.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 19:58
Starting places not staring....doh!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 21:23
Quote:
CPB62
No it’s called level headed, he has no track record in this type of role, and it’s not trolling to put a wider perspective on things,. Why do you think there isn’t a chance it could go wrong? I’ve explained why it could

Well specifically you said the excitement was misguided and compared everyone who’s happy with it to kids with chocolates.

If you’d just put a wider perspective I wouldn’t have replied.

Of course it could go wrong. Anything can go wrong.

He’s one of the best and most respected and exciting English coaches who has been waiting for a big job as a DoR.

You’ll forgive people being happier about this than if he wasn’t any of those things.

Seems odd to be down on the appointment for the same reason everyone else is happy about it.

CPB62 (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 21:49
I would have preferred someone with a track record in the type of role Gustard has, this is a similar appt to Kingston, though he even had more experience as a number 1. I really hope I’m wrong on this one and only time will tell.

21 May, 2018 21:51
How long will you support him for though Bish, assuming things don't go swimmingly?!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 22:26
Quote:
CPB62
I would have preferred someone with a track record in the type of role Gustard has, this is a similar appt to Kingston, though he even had more experience as a number 1. I really hope I’m wrong on this one and only time will tell.

It’s not a single iota like the appointment of Kingston.

You’ve lost the audience here mate - that’s just nonsense.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 22:29
Quote:
TitusQuin
...but will chuckle at the first PG out posts that are bound to come along

I'd give until after the first pre-season game grinning smiley

(For the benefit of TSW, this is an attempt at light-hearted humour and is not intended to be a spiteful comment).

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 22:33
Tumbleweed...

BB

BuckQuin (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 00:09
This article says:

Quote:
Harlequins’ existing senior coaches, including Mark Mapletoft, Graham Rowntree, Nick Evans, Nick Easter and Adam Jones, remain under contract for next season. As Gustard said, improving on an underwhelming 10th-place finish in the Premiership will require them “ironing out a few things on the playing side”.

Looks like he's been told to stick with them after all!

22 May, 2018 00:51
Ellis out!

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 03:52
Quote:
CPB62
I would have preferred someone with a track record in the type of role Gustard has, this is a similar appt to Kingston, though he even had more experience as a number 1. I really hope I�m wrong on this one and only time will tell.

To say it's a similar appointment to Kingston is absolutely nonsense.

Kingston was an appointment from within a broken system who arguably didn't want the DOR job in the first place.

Gustard, apart from the fact that his job title is different, is a coach from outside the bubble we've been in for the last few years and one who has had immense success both at Salarycens and England.

Nobody can guarantee it will work, but it's nothing like the appointment of Kingston.

Yareet (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 06:52
Quote:
CPB62

As an outsider reading this board, the general consensus seemed to be that the ideal hire waoukd have:

Previous Prem experience as a DoR
Not left their previous club with any whiff of failure on their CV
A track record of Prem success - probably top 4.

Unfortunately, Baxter, McCall and Young weren’t available as they seem to be the only people who fulfill those seemingly simple criteria.

In their absence, a member of the current England hierarchy who has also coached at a highly successful Prem club ain’t a bad second option.

22 May, 2018 07:05
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Kingston was an appointment from within a broken system who arguably didn't want the DOR job in the first place.

He's on the record as having applied for the DOR job and I've not seen it reported anywhere that he didn't want it. Unless you count wild, baseless speculation on this board as "reporting"!

CPB62 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 07:16
Kingston was not an appointment from within, didn't he have something to do with Richmond and an Irish team.

Cookie (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 08:58
No big lover of Easter’s work so far, but Gustard is an appointment that potentially breaths life into his tenure. If Gustard is minded to teach him, it could work. If he thinks that’s too much like hard work, then maybe not.

As for Mapletoft, I really don’t see a role for him and I’m of a mind that he represents the embedded old school group (along with Osborne) who need to go for a fresh start.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 09:19
Quote:
BuckQuin
This article says:
Quote:
Harlequins’ existing senior coaches, including Mark Mapletoft, Graham Rowntree, Nick Evans, Nick Easter and Adam Jones, remain under contract for next season. As Gustard said, improving on an underwhelming 10th-place finish in the Premiership will require them “ironing out a few things on the playing side”.

Looks like he's been told to stick with them after all!

Ah well. I thought it wa too good to be true.

DOK (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 09:24
I think Easter could talk the talk, he just had trouble making the team walk the walk. If Gustard can get him sorted, i think he's well worth keeping.

There's nothing in that quote about the coaches says any of them will be kept, just says they are currently under contract - which is true. However, as I said, if we have to pay them anyway, if we can get anything out of them we might as well. However if they're a drain on management resources then cut them loose.

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 09:52
I think the appointment of PG is a very positive move by the Club , although I am surprised that all other coaches remain in place .

That seems to be an acceptance ,from Sean Fitzpatrick , Andy Mullins etc , that JK wasn't managing them properly , and they believe with the correct direction and motivation they are a good backroom team .

Lets hope they are correct .

22 May, 2018 10:20
PG may want to change some of the coaching staff, but it will depend somewhat on the availability of those he would like to bring in. If he has in mind a certain skills coach (for example) who is currently contracted to the end of next season at another club/franchise/province, we may not be able to buy them out of that contract. Also, as much as I think this is a very good choice as HoR, it *is* his first time as (joint) Top Dog, so some of the potential targets may be waiting to see how he goes with getting the team back on track to judge whether it would be a good career move for them.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net