rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Gustard Confirmed as 'Head of Rugby'
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 10:26
WEll the fact that he is going to be a tracksuit HoR is a big step in the right direction.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Boonie (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 10:34
He's not even through the door yet, so let's give him a chance to sort through the coaching issues. There are so many "maybes" out there that we just don't know.

With Easter, our defence has been appalling; no argument there. When another masterful No 8 retired, he moved to the Academy rather than first team defence coach, and did well (Dippy). Had Easter gone that way, he may be on his way to being much better as a coach. If the new bloke had no proven defence record then it would be a worry, but the discussion now will likely be whether Easter can be retained in a revamped defence role, or whether he needs to step down. Gustard won't know that for sure until he's had a chance to see it all in action. Could be a simple fix, could be way too complicated to bother.

It's similar with NEV - but the NZ connection may already be sorting that out.

For Tofty, not sure where he goes from here; demotion or removal seem to be the only two options for him.

Anyway - we live in interesting times...

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 10:41
Quote:
DOK
I think Easter could talk the talk, he just had trouble making the team walk the walk. If Gustard can get him sorted, i think he's well worth keeping.

I think it's more likely that Gustard will get the team sorted. If Easter really is a poor coach then he should be released. I have a feeling the problem was more poor head coaching and players being babies though.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 10:56
Last guard up!

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 11:14
More from PG in the Standard

[www.standard.co.uk]

DOK (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 11:19
Quote:
The club’s backroom staff is enlarged by recently-retired, high-profile players, but Gustard said he will take time to identify who to retain. “I want to understand what they want to do and then we will go from there,” he said.

Doesn't sound like he's necessarily going to keep them all then.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 11:25
SCW from the Daily Wail

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Monte (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 11:34
According to Alex Lowe in the Times today Tofty and Gustard are close friends. I would be very sad to see Easter go completely he knows the defence is not right, but to be coaching your ex mates can’t be easy - coaching is very different from playing, but he could come Good and we don’t want to loose his rugby brain. The GM job is an admin job plus rugby and very important to get it right so they work with Gustard on recruitment that was something Conor did not involve JK with at all. Gustard played longer for Tigers and Irish than Sarries so I hope he gets us some Tigers work ethics more than Sarries.

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 11:52
Quote:
DOK
Quote:
The club’s backroom staff is enlarged by recently-retired, high-profile players, but Gustard said he will take time to identify who to retain. “I want to understand what they want to do and then we will go from there,” he said.

Doesn't sound like he's necessarily going to keep them all then.

That's what I wanted to hear !... Thumbs up from me for PG

T-Bone (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 12:36
Worth listening to Ben Ryan on Moore's pod this week. Saying he missed out to Gustard could be smoke and mirrors if he's applied for both jobs, so he could miss out on one but be lined up for the other. His general ethos sounds like it would be a good fit for the GM role. Not sure what he'd be like at the contractual side of things, but sounds like he'd be suited to other aspects of the role.

Biglad (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 12:38
I'm not worried about the rest of the coaches.

I'm more concerned about the two new positions......

The below extract is taken from an email I received from the club:

"The appointment sees the previous Director of Rugby role at Harlequins split in two, Head of Rugby and General Manager (Rugby). Gustard, 42, as Head of Rugby, will oversee the day-to-day coaching of Harlequins’ rugby squads. He will work alongside the General Manager (Rugby), who will be responsible for enabling high-performance across the Club’s entire rugby department (including women and academy structures), player and coach recruitment and contracts. Both posts will report to the Chief Executive"

Gusty has one job - coaching the team.

GM - Big picture - player recruitment, salary cap adherence, financials etc....... but what really interests me is the "player and coach recruitment & contracts" comment. That suggests he is in charge of not just contract negotiations etc but also recruitment for both coaching and players but the GM and Head of rugby both report to the CEO? Confusing and wrong IMHO.

Based on that setup, I can see friction as that sounds like the GM will have a big input into who we buy which would suggest that the GM is more senior than Gusty and therefore the GM decides the style of play and Gusty just coaches what he is given!

For anyone who has seen the film "moneyball" (based on true events), There were huge problems between the coach and the GM.

This has potential to be very bad, becuase based on the above, it's great having a good coach, but the real power lies with the GM and he will dictate the way we play therefore, it's more important as to who we get as GM.

Biglad.

There is no such thing as 'strong enough'

gbarton24 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 13:02
Quote:
Biglad

"The appointment sees the previous Director of Rugby role at Harlequins split in two, Head of Rugby and General Manager (Rugby). Gustard, 42, as Head of Rugby, will oversee the day-to-day coaching of Harlequins’ rugby squads. He will work alongside the General Manager (Rugby), who will be responsible for enabling high-performance across the Club’s entire rugby department (including women and academy structures), player and coach recruitment and contracts. Both posts will report to the Chief Executive"

GM - Big picture - player recruitment, salary cap adherence, financials etc....... but what really interests me is the "player and coach recruitment & contracts" comment. That suggests he is in charge of not just contract negotiations etc but also recruitment for both coaching and players but the GM and Head of rugby both report to the CEO? Confusing and wrong IMHO.

Based on that setup, I can see friction as that sounds like the GM will have a big input into who we buy which would suggest that the GM is more senior than Gusty and therefore the GM decides the style of play and Gusty just coaches what he is given!

For anyone who has seen the film "moneyball" (based on true events), There were huge problems between the coach and the GM.

This has potential to be very bad, becuase based on the above, it's great having a good coach, but the real power lies with the GM and he will dictate the way we play therefore, it's more important as to who we get as GM.

Using Moneyball as an example may not be the best example. Every US sport has the GM/Coach split and it works. Moneyball the book was about a radical GM and his ideas coming up against the baseball establishment, so quite a unique situation. Yes GMs and coaches fall out, but that would be the same if David Ellis fell out with a coach. The GM is there to do the office side of things and let the coach focus on coaching. The GM is not going to dictate the way we play directly. It's for the coach and GM to work out together what their goal is and how best to achieve it. With recruitment obviously there has to be input from the coach, that's how it works. This is quite unique to rugby but given the way rugby is evolving, with ever more player transfers and the like, it makes a lot of sense. Why would a coach want to ring an agent and have to sort contracts? Normally the GM is superior to the coach in the chain and makes the coaching hires, but the press release by Quins indicates this is more of an equal split and both will report to the CEO. The two jobs are to complement each other

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/05/2018 13:10 by gbarton24.

thomh (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 13:15
Gustard quote in that ES article: "We will have an unbelievably brutal defence"

Nice to see him setting his stall out on that rather than just vague comments on developing the style of play etc.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 13:25
Quote:
gbarton24
Quote:
Biglad

Using Moneyball as an example may not be the best example. Every US sport has the GM/Coach split and it works. Moneyball the book was about a radical GM and his ideas coming up against the baseball establishment, so quite a unique situation. Yes GMs and coaches fall out, but that would be the same if David Ellis fell out with a coach. The GM is there to do the office side of things and let the coach focus on coaching. The GM is not going to dictate the way we play directly. It's for the coach and GM to work out together what their goal is and how best to achieve it. With recruitment obviously there has to be input from the coach, that's how it works. This is quite unique to rugby but given the way rugby is evolving, with ever more player transfers and the like, it makes a lot of sense. Why would a coach want to ring an agent and have to sort contracts? Normally the GM is superior to the coach in the chain and makes the coaching hires, but the press release by Quins indicates this is more of an equal split and both will report to the CEO. The two jobs are to complement each other

Yep, I think this splitting of the role will help PG concentrate on the stuff he needs to do in order to get us back to where a squad like ours should be, while the GM handles the backroom side of things (along with the other areas that they're responsible for).

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 13:38
Quote:
Biglad

That's not the way I read it , surely that means that Gustard decides who he wants , goes to see them , convinces them to come to Quins and then its the job of the GM to negociate the contract with their agent.

I doubt PG would come if the side on the park was to be picked by committee

Dibden (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 13:52
Does everyone think PG is the best candidate out of the 3?If so what has he got over the other 2?

InsertQuinsPunHere (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 14:04
Quote:
Dibden
Does everyone think PG is the best candidate out of the 3?If so what has he got over the other 2?

15s experience over Ryan

Youthful enthusiasm and fresh ideas over Edwards...

? discuss ? .... as if I need to suggest that on here!

DOK (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 14:24
Gustard: Hired originally as England skills coach. Currently England defence coach.

Two areas we need to improve hugely before we win the title again!

thomh (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 14:43
Quote:
DOK
Gustard: Hired originally as England skills coach. Currently England defence coach.
Two areas we need to improve hugely before we win the title again!

What now?

[www.englandrugby.com]

blucherquin (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 14:54
Anyway - if you want to hear more from Gustard he’s on the bbc podcast with Ugo

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 15:08
Ok there’s an element of baby and bath water here.

There was so much wrong over the last few seasons and we don’t know if it was a coach, a clique of coaches, DOR or players behaving like 5 year olds. Or a mix of it all but we wanted an outsider with a different approach and that is seemingly what we have got so let him get South Africa out of the way and sit down with the coaches and put his vision out and then see what reaction he gets.

If he feels that they’re worth sticking with and developing then so be it else if he wants different voices then let him do that and build from there but let him make his own choices.

GerryK (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 16:03
Don't underestimate PG's ability to be tough when he needs to be,he won't stand any nonsense from a GM that doesn't give him what he needs to make Quins a force in the land again.
A combination of his experience and coaching success at Sarries with his ability to build constructive relations across the piece.will give you a formidable Head Of Rugby.

We at Sarries are pleased that PG he has found a role suited to his career ambitions, however regret that it is with you rather than back at his spiritual home at Allianz Park

Biglad (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 16:05
Quote:
gbarton24
Quote:
Biglad

I understand your point, but my point is the press release (for me) is very clear.
Gustard - coaching only not recruitment or contracts.
GM - recruitment and contracts.

This is why I think who we get as a GM is actually more important than the coach.
He will be looking after the recruitment, not Gustard, Gustard will only have input based on the press release.

It will be very interesting to see who we get as I'm sure there will be differences of opinion,

thomh (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 16:23
They explicitly both report directly to the CEO, rather than Gustard reporting to the GM. My understanding is that a Baseball GM has hiring and firing power over the coaches.

I'd expect Gustard to be involved in identifying the areas needed for improvement and potential targets. He just wont have the day to day role of actually executing that.

GP2110 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 16:27
I wouldn't agree that the recruitment is more important than the head coach. On paper, we have a wealth of talent - far better than our league position suggested. The critical missing piece is someone who can get the best out of the players; improve defence; give the attack a platform to play etc. Head coach is absolutely the key position. If the pitch performance improves and we have a happy squad, then renewals should sort themselves out. Then it is for the GM to continue to attract talent.

gbarton24 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 16:33
Quote:
Biglad
Quote:
gbarton24
Quote:
Biglad

I understand your point, but my point is the press release (for me) is very clear.
Gustard - coaching only not recruitment or contracts.
GM - recruitment and contracts.

This is why I think who we get as a GM is actually more important than the coach.
He will be looking after the recruitment, not Gustard, Gustard will only have input based on the press release.

It will be very interesting to see who we get as I'm sure there will be differences of opinion,

I get what you're saying, but I am pretty sure the GM will be working with Gustard and the others to identify the players they want, it's just the GM who will be doing the paperwork and putting in place the structure to scout and attract players. The GM role is definitely an important one, and hopefully whoever they choose will complement Gustard. There probably will be differences in the odd player who they want, but it won't be the GM recruiting a team Gustard has had no say over and being told to get on with it. This will only work if it's a joint effort all round which the press release in my mind makes quite clear

harlequinade (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 18:14
Quote:
GerryK
Don't underestimate PG's ability to be tough when he needs to be,he won't stand any nonsense from a GM that doesn't give him what he needs to make Quins a force in the land again.
A combination of his experience and coaching success at Sarries with his ability to build constructive relations across the piece.will give you a formidable Head Of Rugby.

We at Sarries are pleased that PG he has found a role suited to his career ambitions, however regret that it is with you rather than back at his spiritual home at Welford Road

Fixed that for you.

You can have anything in life, if you will sacrifice everything else for it

Dibden (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 18:59
You can have all the job descriptions you want but when you have 2 jobs closely connected what actually happens is worked out betweeb the 2 guys and is bound to be different to what the press release says..It depends hugely on the chemistry.It is much more difficult to make leadership work when there are 2 bosses who are equal.In 99% of sports clubs I reckon there is only one top coach/manager who carries the can for everything.
This split of responsibilty is unnecesaarily making everyones life more difficult as though we havent got enough problems already.

gbarton24 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 19:17
Not really sure how his makes life difficult. I imagine in light of Kingston going Quins realised splitting the responsibilities and just having a coach makes sense where they can focus on that only and not have to deal with aspects of the job that they have no experience of and/or interest in. All teams in the big four US leagues and Bundesliga have this split. It works. I follow enough US teams to see how it works in practice.

GerryK (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 21:26
Quote:
harlequinade
Quote:
GerryK

We at Sarries are pleased that PG he has found a role suited to his career ambitions, however regret that it is with you rather than back at his spiritual home at Welford Road

Fixed that for you.
said and meant Allianz Park in previous message

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 21:39
Quote:
Barty II
Sarries fan in peace
Incredible coup for you guys - have to say will have very mixed feelings seeing the man responsible for a large part of our success in another shirt. Am sure he will solve a hell of a lot of the issues you've had the last few seasons, certainly got the best out of our squad.

I don't doubt you'll be back at the sharp end if he's given enough time. Tongue in cheek comment here but now that you've got the man responsible for "boring, boring Sarries" at the helm, will you be happy watching "boring, boring Quins" if it brings success?

I have been (and still am) a critic of Salatycens for both the 'anti rugby' they used to pay as well as the salary cap and all the other things they've done so this appointment worries me.

I said at the time I wouldn't be a Sarries fan having to sit through the negative rugby every week and I certainly don't want to have that at the Stoop.

Not renewed, still pondering whether to do so. Mrs TQ wants to, I'm not keen after what we sat through last season and what we might be getting for the next few.

West Stand, Block FD, Row S (if renewed)
@JT075 #COYQ

DOK (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 21:49
I suspect John Kingston identified that actually a split of responsibilities would be beneficial. In the days of Mark Evans you could be combined CEO and DOR. More recently we've split DOR and CEO (probably about the time of Dean Richards), and now we're splitting the DOR role into "First team" and "everything else", enabling the DOR to just concentrate on first team rugby. It seems pretty logical to me. The DOR has responsibility for turning out a winning team, the GM takes everything else off him so he can focus on that.

Exactly what happens when the GM announces he's signed a great bargain in Paul Doran-Jones, I don't know! smiling smiley

DOK (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 21:55
I doubt Gustard had anything to do with salary cap shenanigans. I suspect a lot of the boring approach came from the South African connection, the dour Boer approach and the fact Brendan Venter was head coach, not Paul Gustard.

If you don't sign for this season, and we rocket back up the board, you're just going to look like a glory hunter! So get in now while it's "showing faith". smiling smiley

22 May, 2018 22:03
Yes, wasn't holding him responsible for the salary stuff or of course the other off field games they used to play.

I've thought about the 'glory hunter' business too and wouldn't want to be tarred with that but have an issue parting with the hard earned after seeing the team not giving it all last season and concerned that we'll be boring, boring Quins. I'd feel very hypocritical having slated Sarries to sit through Quins playing it.

@JT075 #COYQ

DOK (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 22:48
Well, I honestly believe JK's statement that this is one of the strongest Harlequins teams. I think his recruitment was good. Now if we can keep the best part of the team out the treatment room and PG gives us some sort of defence, then I think we can go places. Pinning my hopes on that anyway.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 00:47
I guess another positive aspect is PG won't have any loyalty of the sentimental type to either coaches or players.

23 May, 2018 07:41
Quote:
DOK
Well, I honestly believe JK's statement that this is one of the strongest Harlequins teams. I think his recruitment was good. Now if we can keep the best part of the team out the treatment room and PG gives us some sort of defence, then I think we can go places. Pinning my hopes on that anyway.

Yes, I concur with that. The injury situation did do us great harm and I don't agree with David Ellis when he claims that the strength and conditioning was as good as any other team. It quite obviously wasn't otherwise we'd not have suffered as many injuries

@JT075 #COYQ

poorfour (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 08:02
I suspect that in reality the GM role will be similar to the one that Lancaster did before he was England coach - he had overall responsibility for all representative squads that weren't the senior men, and for managing the overall player development pipeline.

Gustard will have a major input into the types of players he wants to deliver his gameplan. Sometimes that will be "get me Nick Evans" (to use an example) but it's more likely to be "get me some options for players who can play a Nick Evans type role" or "let me know who in the pipeline could develop into a Nick Evans, and by when", and the GM will be responsible for building the pipeline and the squad and managing the commercials around recruitment and retention.

I assume it will be essentially similar to a Producer (GM) and a Director (HoR) on a film. The Director has significant input into the casting and the way he wants the cast to perform, but the producer is generally responsible for rustling up the entire cast (and everything else) within budget.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 08:47
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
I guess another positive aspect is PG won't have any loyalty of the sentimental type to either coaches or players.

This is why we’ve needed an outside voice since OShea left.

It is staggering that the only voices doing our coaching haven’t changed (barring Jones and Rowntree) in a minimum of 10 years.

Anyway, loving the doomsayers reaction to Gustard arriving. If any of them ask you to dinner, I’d skip it.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 09:18
Quote:
GP2110
I wouldn't agree that the recruitment is more important than the head coach. On paper, we have a wealth of talent - far better than our league position suggested. The critical missing piece is someone who can get the best out of the players; improve defence; give the attack a platform to play etc. Head coach is absolutely the key position. If the pitch performance improves and we have a happy squad, then renewals should sort themselves out. Then it is for the GM to continue to attract talent.

Absolutely.

samlee99 (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 15:22
Quote:
Dibden

The job!

T-Bone (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 15:35
If you listen to Ben Ryan on Moore's pod, a lot of the stuff he talks about I thought would also form part of the GM role.

He was talking about his players at Fiji, all being different, all having very different issues at home, and unless they were all in an environment where they could perform to their best, it just wouldn't have worked. He was talking about mental health issues too, saying that despite all the progress that has been made, some people who don't suffer wouldn't appreciate things that might make it difficult for those who do suffer to come forward. One example was a player being able to go into a coach's office to talk about a particular issue and leave via another door so as not to face the possibility of bumping into a team mate, or something along those lines.

So as well as hiring and firing, I think the GM would be respnsible for a lot of that sort of stuff, taking the non-rugby responsibilities away for Gustard, but respnsibilities which are still i,portant to getting the best out of players.

Another example was Gatland talking about Samson Lee approcaching him to ask for time off to deal with some non-rugby issue. The new GM would have time to seal with that as part of his core responsibility. A more typical DoR might not, so only gives said player a few minutes and brushes them off, leading to the player not being in the right frame of mind.

So while I think Ryan would have had some decent things to offer as HoR, I think he would have just as much to offer as GM.

Dibden (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 17:11
It seems to me that as Head Of Rugby PG will take over the role of Head Coach making this position redundant.Given his knowledge of top class coaching with Sarries and England he knows exactly how the existing coaches marry up against those standards.Therefore he may keep Some he can develop ,the rest will go.Get the Coaching right first before focusing on the players.
Any views?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 17:16
Quote:
samlee99
Quote:
Dibden

The job!

Presumably like any job interview they just liked him and his ideas better than the other two and thought he'd be a better fit. It's rarely because someone has more qualifications.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 12:10
Brits says PG will bring out the best

[sport.bt.com]

Cookie (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 12:16
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

This is why we’ve needed an outside voice since OShea left.

It is staggering that the only voices doing our coaching haven’t changed (barring Jones and Rowntree) in a minimum of 10 years.

Anyway, loving the doomsayers reaction to Gustard arriving. If any of them ask you to dinner, I’d skip it.

Has there been much/any negativity?

My only concern with what's said above is that PG is mates with Mapletoft which might save him, which I'd be a bit miffed about.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net