rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Any rumours on timing of GM announcement
le tiss (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 07:26
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but has anyone heard anything about this at all? It seems to be important that this position is filled sooner rather than later given the remit of the role and the amount of things that need implementing before the start of the new season, in fact preferably before pre-season training starts.

Re: Any rumours on timing of GM announcement
Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 07:44
If only the club were aware of this!

BB

blucherquin (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 07:56
What GM things need doing before pre season?

We’re too late to sign any worthwhile names.

Gustard is in charge of the training. He said he’ll be laying out what he wants while in SA.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 08:10
Does make you think that there might be some interesting contract renewal/cancellation conversations between the new GM and some under performing players, especially the big names, seeing that the GM will be armed with lots of stats and performance data. Oh to be a fly on the wall!

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/05/2018 08:13 by Scaramouche.

Cookie (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 08:41
Yes, but I had to take it down! If anyone saw my pre-edited post on a previous thread, the rumour was there!

le tiss (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 09:00
Quote:
blucherquin

Gustard is in charge of the training. He said he’ll be laying out what he wants while in SA.

For starters making sure we are either happy with the existing coaching set up or helping to recruit and hire new ones.

le tiss (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 09:13
Quote:
Cookie
Yes, but I had to take it down! If anyone saw my pre-edited post on a previous thread, the rumour was there!

Sadly I missed that Cookie.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 09:33
Quote:
le tiss
Quote:
blucherquin

For starters making sure we are either happy with the existing coaching set up or helping to recruit and hire new ones.

That’s Gustard’s job.

le tiss (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 09:49
I am not certain it is. Not if you read the announcement from the club the other day:

"He will work alongside the General Manager (Rugby), who will be responsible for enabling high-performance across the Club’s entire rugby department (including women and academy structures), player and coach recruitment and contracts."

I am sure the truth is somewhere in between the two, as you would expect the Head of Rugby to have input into coaches he wants to work with. Either way the GM is a vital appointment to get right as it has to be someone who sees eye to eye with the Head of Rugby.

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 09:55
I think its unlikely we'll see much change in terms of recruitment until the post-WC 2019/20 season.
I would guess the 'plan' Gustard will have pitched to DE is to fix the coaching (and motivation/culture) and make more of what we already have for this coming season, then work with the GM to lay-down a recruitment roadmap for the next few years, including inevitable replacements for Brown/Care/Robshaw/Horwill and strengthening other positions.
Just my assumptions but other than a surprise SH signing or 2 as part of the NZ deal (i.e. anyone who now knows they aren't going to make the WC All Black squad or young players) I can't imagine there are going to be a lot of moves now.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 10:27
Quote:
le tiss
I am not certain it is. Not if you read the announcement from the club the other day:
"He will work alongside the General Manager (Rugby), who will be responsible for enabling high-performance across the Club’s entire rugby department (including women and academy structures), player and coach recruitment and contracts."

I am sure the truth is somewhere in between the two, as you would expect the Head of Rugby to have input into coaches he wants to work with. Either way the GM is a vital appointment to get right as it has to be someone who sees eye to eye with the Head of Rugby.

Oh fair enough -- I misremembered, as I believe you can now call "got it totally wrong".

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 08:26
Spot on Dark Pies, that’s what I think they’ll do and keep their powder dry till after the World Cup.

mighty_quin (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 20:39
Post on Twitter tonight from RIL suggesting Ben Ryan 100% at Quins next season. Could it be the GM post?

thomh (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 03:37
Can’t really be anything else

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 05:35
Quote:
Banstead Quin
Spot on Dark Pies, that’s what I think they’ll do and keep their powder dry till after the World Cup.

Can't someone fix the software on this site, so that it will show an apostrophe?

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 07:00
Ryan has been pretty much the only name in the frame the entire time.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

le tiss (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 07:34
He seems like he would be a great man for the role, the only slight nagging worry at the back of my mind is whether he is just a great self publicist. I really want to believe the hype.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 08:06
My gut says we won't put anything out this week. It's too close to the Final. Maybe next week, before the England tour gets underway. If not, then I'd expect to wait until after that's over. I'm not saying that the GM is tied to the England team in any way (I think it's Ryan), but they won't want to have the news buried by either the Prem final or the England Tour...

thomh (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 09:19
Quote:
le tiss
He seems like he would be a great man for the role, the only slight nagging worry at the back of my mind is whether he is just a great self publicist. I really want to believe the hype.

He's achieved plenty in international 7s with more than one side, so I'm not worried about his ability at all.

My only concern is whether, given the recruitment remit, the GM role should be filled by someone well-established in the clubs 15s world, who has an existing network of player agents, relationships with counter-parties at other clubs etc.

It may be in practice that player agents will make a bee-line for whoever fills the GM role, so Ryan would very quickly develop all the contacts he needs anyway.

poorfour (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 15:15
Quote:
thomh
It may be in practice that player agents will make a bee-line for whoever fills the GM role, so Ryan would very quickly develop all the contacts he needs anyway.

I think that will very much be the case. If anything, an agent hungry to get a better deal for his player will be more likely to call Ryan rather than less, for several reasons -

1) Because Ryan is new on the scene, agents will assume he is less aware of the player pool than other DoRs

2) Because Ryan hasn't had a recruitment cycle yet, agents will assume he will be more open to buying new players than more established DoRs / GMs

3) Because he's not had much experience of the market, they may assume that he will be a soft touch on deals...

In addition, Quins will have a network of scouts and the academy to draw on, and Ryan has international experience that a lot of players don't have. What are the odds that he can entice Fijian, Kenyan or US sevens players to Quins between Olympic cycles?

Not all sevens players cut it in XVs, but Sevens looks to me to be a very good source of fast backrows, scrum halves, fly halves and wingers.

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 11:54
gone very quiet on this one- anyone know more?

DOK. (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 11:21
If it's Ryan then I don't see anything that stops him moving ASAP, I'd guess he'd want feet under desk quickly too. Unless Quins are delaying the announcement for some reason. Or maybe they have other candidates they're evaluating and no decision has been made.

02 June, 2018 13:13
Here's a left-field suggestion: Shaun Wane. He's leaving Wigan at the end of the SL season. He's got a pedigree as a head coach, so probably wouldn't want to be someone's deputy again. However, he's no history in Union, so couldn't just step into a HC position in the 15-man code. He may well be heading down to the NRL, but if he's staying in the UK/Europe, the openings for him are few. Our GM position could suit him in some ways as it removes him from having to learn the intricacies of a different code in day-to-day coaching, but he would have the chance to oversee the development of a number of areas of a club.

Lex (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 13:22
Just read that Ben Ryan has a new book out called Sevens Heaven, the delay (if it is him) could be that he wants to get the book promotion out of the way before it is announced.

Lex

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/travesmilies/smilie_rolli_1.gif

Dibden (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 13:04
Rumoured in the Mail today an Aussie Billy Millard(who?) is new GM.Cheap
option as cost of Gustard over budget

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 13:10
[www.bbc.co.uk]

[www.walesonline.co.uk]

[www.joe.ie]

Not sure he would be that cheap.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2018 13:13 by HonkyTonk.

gbarton24 (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 14:33
Sounds like his job at Cardiff was exactly as per the Quins job spec so sounds a reasonable candidate, but then articles have said he left Cardiff to be with family in Ireland apparently so not sure if a genuine candidate, can't find anything in the Mail today. Would be great if Ryan has a role but having gone all quiet on that front my feeling is it won't be him.

bra'tac of chulak (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 15:51
… it's in here … you'll have to scroll down to the bottom of the article …

… [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2018 15:52 by bra'tac of chulak.

05 June, 2018 17:03
Quote:
bra'tac of chulak
… it's in here … you'll have to scroll down to the bottom of the article …
… [www.dailymail.co.uk]

I hadn't realised it was a piece by Charles Sale. He's not got the greatest record at the Daily Wail for rugby-related stories that aren't him wingeing on about why Rugby is elitist or trying to have a pop at Pitbull. If it had been written by Chris Foy, I'd be more inclined to give it credence, as he's the only reporter there that seems to have a decent number of contacts within clubs & knows what's going on...

Quaking Quin (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 21:00
What a mess.

dr_miles (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 09:18
Quote:
Quaking Quin
What a mess.

What's a mess?

06 June, 2018 09:52
Quote:
dr_miles
Quote:
Quaking Quin
What a mess.

What's a mess?

It's a place where Officers eat at an Army Barracks...

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 11:06
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
dr_miles
Quote:
Quaking Quin
What a mess.

What's a mess?

It's a place where Officers eat at an Army Barracks...

What’s a Grecian urn?

Oh, that doesn’t work in print......

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 12:01
Urn, my little fat friend...

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Quaking Quin (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 20:50
"What's a mess?"......

The lack of any announcement given that the interviews were held early last month. 6 people were supposed to have been interviewed.

The DoR is appointed but immediately goes off to South Africa.

Who knows where or when a General Manager will materialise, and what they will do.

If the GM is supposed to be responsible for recruitment then who are Quins going to bring in 10 minutes before the start of next season - leaving things a bit late unless they already have set up the stream of players from new NZ connection.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 06:31
Quote:
Quaking Quin
"What's a mess?"......
The lack of any announcement given that the interviews were held early last month. 6 people were supposed to have been interviewed.

The DoR is appointed but immediately goes off to South Africa.

Who knows where or when a General Manager will materialise, and what they will do.

If the GM is supposed to be responsible for recruitment then who are Quins going to bring in 10 minutes before the start of next season - leaving things a bit late unless they already have set up the stream of players from new NZ connection.

Well hasn’t this got silly quickly.

Maybe there isn’t an announcement because they haven’t reached a contract agreement, or they didn’t finish the process until very recently, or 3 weeks really isn’t that long in recruitment terms anyway so it’s not that shocking after all.

I agree we don’t know who, where is “The Stoop”, and we know exactly what they will do because it’s been laid out clearly.

And you’ve managed to write “the DoR is appointed but immediately goes off to SA” like no one knew or it’s indicative of a lack of interest as opposed to “he starts after the tour to SA like the club and he said very clearly”.

Not to mention the endless interviews in which he said he’s going to be involved while he’s away and will be setting up the pre season for the coaches etc.

The one point you might have is recruitment, except we all knew there wouldn’t be any recruitment anyway because a) it was too late in the season when JK left to recruit anyone anyway and b) why would you join until you knew the DoR - and we’ve only just got one.

If there is a delay in finding the right GM, im sure they will work out they’re allowed to recruit without him or her. But we were never likely to sign anyone else this year, much as we need a few.

That bit is a mess, but goes back to the same mess of keeping JK too long etc etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2018 06:37 by blucherquin.

kevin (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 07:49
I think the unease about the lack of info about a GM appointment is really about the coaching team and whether or not the incumbents are (hopefully) going to be given the sack.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net