rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

If only Quins were as dull as Chiefs
Mayor West (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 17:58
I haven't read the article but Barnes has caused a storm by saying that Exeter play dull boring rugby and he hopes Saracens win for the good of rugby. I don't think that any people take much notice of Stuart Barnes but really?

Re: If only Quins were as dull as Chiefs
Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 21:47
Where's this storm, then?

BB

blucherquin (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 22:13
There isnít a storm. And who cares.

Dave L (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 06:39
Itís Barnes. Nobody listens anymore.

26 May, 2018 08:04
They seem to score lots of rolling mauls from 5 metres out, personally I find those a little dull!

Mayor West (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 08:15
It's only what I heard on the radio. They interviewed Andy Goode who didn't agree at all. In fact he said he probably never has agreed with Barnes. I can't say I've ever read anything he's written but many on here moan about him. I wondered if anyone had read the article but that seems unlikely from the responses.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 09:15
I read the article, and he appears to base his conclusions off the fact that Exeter played smart rugby when playing into the wind last week, keeping hold of the ball even in their own half, rather than hoofing it upfield into the wind to allow Falcons a chance to attack. He seemed to be saying that intelligent, efficient playing & decision making was a bad thing.

Yareet (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 11:14
Pitbull and Ben Ryan are also less than enthusiastic about Exeterís style of play in Mooreís weekly podcast. Likewise about Leinster.

The thing for me is that a few years ago Sarries were criticised as the purveyors of anti-rugby whilst now they (and Scarlets) are seen as the entertainers in their respective finals. Is this just a case that teams have to almost earn the right to entertain?

The boys from Cov appear to have gone for entertainment first and have no silverware to show for it.

26 May, 2018 12:44
Exeter are doing what Sarries did; attack in waves with brutal, effective carriers until an overlap or hole appears, then exploit it. But they aren't dull, they have scored some great tries.

The lack of a breakdown contest in the AP is hardly their fault, they're just making hay.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 09:32
Yeah, Barnes is bang on. Exeter play horrible rugby, I'm not sure where all the adulation comes from. To the extent that I found myself supporting sarries at Twickenham yesterday, to my eternal disgust.

raedarius (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 10:59
The irritation of Itoje's cloak of invisibility notwithstanding, I went into the game a neutral but ended up supporting Saracens as they had the common decency to be entertaining. There are those on the Exeter board outraged by the allegations of dull rugby, but the myth of "everyone's second favourite team" should not survive the contrast between the two styles of play yesterday.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 11:28
I think Chiefs were outplayed and Saracens didn't let them get their gameplan going or get through their defensive line. Then when the play broke up Saracens attacked swiftly and clinically. Saracens are now the entertainers. There I've said it! I don't think Chiefs are boring though, does anybody know their try scoring stats.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 08:53
Sarries knew what to expect and are second to none soaking up multi phase play. They let Chiefs punch themselves out. With Chiefs making uncharacteristic handling errors the pressure on Sarries could never yield the points that Chiefs normally accumulate.

When Sarries scored the first try from their minimal time with the ball the afternoon looked like it would be a long one for Chiefs.

Maybe one game too many for some of their guys on what was a hot day.

They must be so disappointed but should be proud of their achievements.

I agree was supporting Sarries for the way they played...this was against all previous aliegencies.

Owen was fantastic backed up by Mako and the forwards.

Rocker (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 10:57
Chiefs were totally outplayed. I thought it looked like a game too far as well. Sarries doing the old Wasps trick and peaking at exactly the right time.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 11:22
Exeter made really poor decisions with ball in hand, time and again, Ollie Woodburn in particular blew several chances to put people away or get out of trouble by just trying to run past people and failing. Joe Simmonds also showed a total lack of appreciation for when to kick against that kind of defence.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

harryquins (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 16:09
Didn't end up watching the final, so can't comment on that but I think it's hugely unfair to call Exeter dull. I watched their semi final and, although they were pragmatic at times (as you have to be in a prem semi final), they played some really exciting rugby. Everytime I watch them, they always make me sit up and get excited with their running rugby. Personally, I really enjoy their 10-12-13 axis of playmaker-ball carrier- playmaker as it allows for really dynamic shifting of focus when attacking, especially with Slade being so rapid and having an ability to shapeshift his way through defences.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 17:19
The dull thing was basically down to an article after the semi final slagging Exeter off and everyone taking up the same story. The article in question ignored the way the conditions shaped how Exeter had to approach that game, and how brilliantly they did it.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Mayor West (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 19:56
If they are so dull why did it take until the penultimate game of the season for one person to notice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net