Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Ford, Robshaw to co-captain England
DOK. (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 11:35

Re: Ford, Robshaw to co-captain England
Dave L (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 06:17
The co-captain stuff is nonsense. Just pick one or the other.

Samquin (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 06:52
Quote:
Dave L
The co-captain stuff is nonsense. Just pick one or the other.

Totally agree.

1908 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 12:33
Neither should be going to SA in the first place.

Robshaw deserves a rest. He has nothing to prove. Ford needs to go and find his mojo and hit the ground running next season.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 10:15
+1

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 11:24
Robshaw in that squad would naturally become the 'pack leader '

Ford is better placed to make open play decisions , but always looks mildly bewildered to me when he doesn't have the ball in his hands so maybe EJ named them as co - captains to give him some support ?

I agree that Robshaw should be rested , ( except I doubt he thinks that ) , however , Ford should go to SA - if Farrell / Ford is EJ's preferred axis , then he needs to test them with different back combinations and in a tour situation in prep for the RWC

thomh (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 12:06
Don't see the point of resting Ford. He was the best player (perhaps along with Daly) against the Barbarians. Didn't go with the Lions nor does he play in the most attritional position.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 12:39
Stuart Barnes (no surprise) wrote a scathing piece on Robshaw in the Times yesterday (maybe Sunday). Usual Barnes tosh. One poor game and it seems Chris should be dropped according to the Barrell.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 14:55
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Stuart Barnes (no surprise) wrote a scathing piece on Robshaw in the Times yesterday (maybe Sunday). Usual Barnes tosh. One poor game and it seems Chris should be dropped according to the Barrell.

Several posters seem to agree with him. It's bizarre. Good for Quins that Care, Brown and Robshaw will never play for England again I suppose.

I accept that they all have their individual failings and have all struggled this season, especially in the second half (Care was great until around Christmas). I understand, though haven't watched the game, that Robshaw was awful and Brown badly exposed, as expected.

Robshaw's career will u;timately be defined by two things I reckon. One will be the RWC and especially the decision to go for a win rather than draw vs Wales. The other will be how he has constantly proved those wrong who have written him off.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 15:08
I still say with Robshaw that people will not fully appreciate him until he is not there playing. The stick he gets is ridiculous.

thomh (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 15:40
Quote:
HonkyTonk
I still say with Robshaw that people will not fully appreciate him until he is not there playing. The stick he gets is ridiculous.

This is absolutely a fair comment in general, but we shouldn't pretend that it applies to his latest performance. His missed tackles led directly to 3 Barbarians tries.

poorfour (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 16:11
Quote:
thomh
Quote:
HonkyTonk

This is absolutely a fair comment in general, but we shouldn't pretend that it applies to his latest performance. His missed tackles led directly to 3 Barbarians tries.

For at least one of those, he was covering a channel where the outside defender had drifted early, and he was still covering the inside man. I wouldn't be surprised if the others were under similar circumstances.

I suspect Eddie and Gustard will see these as a "system error" as much as a personal falure.

thomh (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 16:39
Perhaps but, regardless of where he was in the defensive system, they were all still tackles that you'd expect to be routine for him.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 17:15
Quote:
poorfour
Quote:
thomh
Quote:
HonkyTonk

For at least one of those, he was covering a channel where the outside defender had drifted early, and he was still covering the inside man. I wouldn't be surprised if the others were under similar circumstances.

I suspect Eddie and Gustard will see these as a "system error" as much as a personal falure.

The others were just bad missed tackles. He missed 7 of them. That's utterly unacceptable from a flanker.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 17:30
And it was one game in how many??? If this carries on into the SA tour then I will hold my hands up and say fair enough, but this is one game we are talking about.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 17:39
I know it's just one game. And it was utterly out of character. I'm just saying that you can't really handwave it away as a systems failure, or being unfortunate - he missed tackle after tackle after tackle, usually ones you'd expect any average flanker to make, let alone Robshaw.

We all (I presume) hope that he gets a chance to prove it was a one-off, but that sort of display makes coaches wonder if a player is finished. It was remarkably awful.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 07:43
It was one game, and yet some seem to think it should bring down the curtain on his whole England career - forgetting that there have been games where he's been one of the few, if not only, players who performed well in games. For all anyone knows, he could be carrying an injury, could be unwell, or (heaven forbid) just having one bad game. Personally I think he just needs a rest.

If his next game is poor, there will definitely be concern. But according to Barnes, there shouldn't be a next England game for Robshaw.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 08:09
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Several posters seem to agree with him. It's bizarre. Good for Quins that Care, Brown and Robshaw will never play for England again I suppose.

I accept that they all have their individual failings and have all struggled this season, especially in the second half (Care was great until around Christmas). I understand, though haven't watched the game, that Robshaw was awful and Brown badly exposed, as expected.

Robshaw's career will u;timately be defined by two things I reckon. One will be the RWC and especially the decision to go for a win rather than draw vs Wales. The other will be how he has constantly proved those wrong who have written him off.

Although I'd imagine that as soon as Care, Brown and Robshaw are finished with England they will be looking elsewhere for one last big payday?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 08:19
I would agree about Brown and Care, not sure about Robshaw. He has his business over here so may not want to uproot (although france isn't exactly the other side of the world).

CPB62 (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 09:55
But why would you pay them a large amount? They aren't good enough now

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 10:00
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Although I'd imagine that as soon as Care, Brown and Robshaw are finished with England they will be looking elsewhere for one last big payday?

For Care & Brown it'll depend somewhat on their families as well. Care's son will probably be about ready to start school around the time of the RWC, and Brown's kid can't be too far behind that. As for Robbo, he could probably run his business from abroad, so it'll depend a bit on whether his other half wants to move...

fandg2 (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 12:02
Quote:
CPB62
But why would you pay them a large amount? They aren't good enough now

Doesnt matter whether they are considered good enough, it's about bum's on seats. Big names draw punters

CPB62 (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 12:08
So does winning, if you lose with big name players its worse, look at Quins last season

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 15:34
(Sm157)

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 17:09
Quote:
CPB62
So does winning, if you lose with big name players its worse, look at Quins last season

Robshaw was his usual excellent self and Care was the best 9 in the country for the first 2/3rds of the season. You're massively over-egging it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net