Yes 73

74.49 %
No 11

11.22 %
Don't Care 14

14.29 %

98 Votes

You have not voted yet

We've had a good run with sportnetwork. However the support provided used to be two people interested in the site, then two people, now I have to resort to using the abuse email to even get a response.

People have complained in the past this is cranky, old, not mobile friendly and so on.

Is there somewhere (free) we could usefully go that would be better or should we stick with what we know?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 17:12 by DOK.

Re: Poll: Should we stick with sportnetwork?
Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 12:12
I definitely want to continue with a forum, are there any alternatives out there? In the meantime I have voted Yes.

InsertQuinsPunHere (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 12:23
What sort of traffic do you get? And what sort of features do you want?

WellingQuin (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 12:50
I voted yes. I don't mind using sportnetwork but i think there must be better options out there.
I check this numerous times a day and we are a pretty active group so not sure why it ever stops.

02 June, 2018 13:04
I assume that the advertising revenue keeping the whole site afloat depends on articles rather than forum posts.

The only real draw I can see for staying is the ability to use the same login to interact with other teams fans. Going out on our own, like glaws with shed web, would put up a bit of a barrier to that behaviour.

Beyond that, there are plenty of decent forum options that are far more modern than this.

ssdudley (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 16:11
Though I don't post very often, I am a regular reader and definitely want a forum to continue. Couple of questions: 1) Is there a means by which you DOK can interact with your counterparts in other clubs to feedback to Sportsnetwork (would they listen?). 2) Would the alternatives result in more effort from you (again DOK), could you cater for that? In the meantime I have to.vote yes, until I understand the alternative s. Thanks DOK for what you do.

ssdudley (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 16:18
LOL, sorry DOK, post title says "Should we stick with sportnetwork", question says "Should we leave sportnetwork" so cancelled my vote!

DOK. (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 16:19
well that was all my stupidity, for which I apologise! smiling smiley
Fixed that now!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 17:13 by DOK.

Re: Poll: Should we leave sportnetwork?
The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 20:45
If it means losing all these ruddy adverts that slow everything down and mess up my screen then I'm all for it! I get that the interraction with other fans is nicem but I have been on plenty of fan sites for other sports that don't have this and to be honest they aren't much poorer for it.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 21:10
It would be great to have some decent functionality - a search, last unseen post etc - pretty fundamental really. Not sure what the free offerings are though...must be a few techy chaps around?

DOK. (IP Logged)
03 June, 2018 08:26
It'd be easy enough to provide a sticky post with links to all 12 premiership message boards. I'll maybe start some research into what boards are around. I'm not saying we will move but I'm just trying to get a feel for the membership, as it were. If we move QUINSSA will lose the money they get, but I don't even know how much that is. I think it just buys them the odd beers.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
03 June, 2018 11:51
I use AdBlocker for which I made an optional small payment and I now have zero adverts or pop ups. Much better.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

03 June, 2018 16:37
Thought I'd sent you a PM, DOK, can't see it in my sent items. Let me know if you didn't get it.

DOK. (IP Logged)
03 June, 2018 17:55
Yes - adblocker can make life bearable. I mean I don't mind the odd advertisement but SN seems to take it to extremes.

IQPH - got the PM thanks. Cogitating on it....

03 June, 2018 19:06
No worries. No rush, and won't be offended if the answers a resounding no :-)

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 05:36
Quote:
DOK
Yes - adblocker can make life bearable. I mean I don't mind the odd advertisement but SN seems to take it to extremes.
IQPH - got the PM thanks. Cogitating on it....

Did you get mine DOK?

DOK. (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 07:11
Yes responded QQ!

ChiddQuin (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 09:31
Like others I very much want to see a forum exist but I am pretty fed up with sportnetwork. It is very clunky and I can't see it's changed a lot over the last decade and a half. I have voted to leave.

Thanks DOK for all that you do.

Boonie (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 16:23
I don't mind too much which site we use, but I am sure that there must be better supported and more user-friendly sites than this one. Either way, definitely want to maintain a forum if possible! smiling smiley

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

Rocker (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 20:20
Definitely want to keep a forum. Not impressed with SN unfortunately. DOK your are a star however.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 05:08
A total of 36 have responded to the survey. Hmm.

DOK. (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 11:55
What's your thinking QQ, enough for a quorum or too few? smiling smiley

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 12:13
Personally DOK , Im sure you hold the 'Block Vote' on this .

Whilst there are many things that are irritating about SN , under your stewardship it serves us well .

But , if you feel that there is a better way to give us a forum ( and hopefully make life easier for you as well) , then no one is going to object to a change

I doubt there is a long queue waiting to take over from you .

Im happy with what you decide is the best way forward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2018 12:15 by ChipsteadQuin.

DOK. (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 15:33
Well I'll start by drawing SportNetwork's attention to the poll and see if they are at all interested in upgrading their offering.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 16:05
Quote:
DOK
What's your thinking QQ, enough for a quorum or too few? smiling smiley

Not sure about the size of a quorum that might be required/desirable, but I feel there are disappointingly few responses.

05 June, 2018 20:10
I reckon almost forty is a good response. There aren't that many who post here regularly.

And lurkers would be able to lurk regardless of our location.

I reckon the inertia of an existing site with history to it is quite something to change course on

TW Quin (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 21:58
Does anyone know how Glaws shedweb site works would that model suit?

05 June, 2018 22:24
Either they pay for it, or have a resident geek with lots of Microsoft credits.

For the technically minded, it's a WordPress site, hosted on Microsoft Azure, with a phpBB forum themed to fit in with the main site.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 19:24
Vote No 50 here. I say look for a better home, but absolutely appreciate everything you do DOK. So am happy to go wherever you take us!

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 19:45
Quote:
InsertQuinsPunHere
Either they pay for it, or have a resident geek with lots of Microsoft credits.
For the technically minded, it's a WordPress site, hosted on Microsoft Azure, with a phpBB forum themed to fit in with the main site.

Great info but it has existed longer than Azure. Who provides the service to them?

BB

06 June, 2018 21:07
No idea, sorry. The DNS is hosted by digital ocean, equally new on the scene compared to their site. The domain is registered through 123-reg.

I'm guessing resident geek(s).

Only way to be sure would be to ask. I'm happy to do this, but after my holidays.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 07:06
You do a great job DOK, but if it's causing you headaches I'm happy if we move. One nice feature in a new forum would be an "ignore" button smiling smiley

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 07:29
Quote:
Quinky Kin
You do a great job DOK, but if it's causing you headaches I'm happy if we move. One nice feature in a new forum would be an "ignore" button smiling smiley

How would that work?

DOK. (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 08:08
The problem is there's no countdown on that stupid system that shuts the message board if you don't post on the front page. It's no problem during the season because our match previews/reports go up every week.

The last time putting a new post up didn't solve the problem, leaving a message on the moderators' message board produced no result and it was only when I used the abuse email I got a response.

I might create a Mickey Mouse place we can use in emergency and just give you all the link to bookmark and put it on the front page too. Then we can carry on for a few days regardless.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 08:24
Quote:
Quinky Kin
You do a great job DOK, but if it's causing you headaches I'm happy if we move.

Agree with that.

However, beware of frying pans and fires.

plzd (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 19:27
Quote:
InsertQuinsPunHere
I reckon almost forty is a good response. There aren't that many who post here regularly.

I reckon the inertia of an existing site with history to it is quite something to change course on
a lot of people don't bother to post because of the childish insults that some of the regular posters on the site indulge in from the safety of the keyboard that is why the number of posters is so small that will not change whatever platform is used

Yareet (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 20:24
Quote:
plzd
Quote:
InsertQuinsPunHere

a lot of people don't bother to post because of the childish insults that some of the regular posters on the site indulge in from the safety of the keyboard that is why the number of posters is so small that will not change whatever platform is used

I post but as a non-Quins fan, I feel Id be overstepping the mark to vote.

raedarius (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 13:01
Quote:
plzd
Quote:
InsertQuinsPunHere

That's interesting, because I assumed that you were the latest ID from the person who constantly carps about the other posters...

thescottk (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 17:26
I'm a lurker in the main - but the functionality of the site is pretty poor and I wouldn't be too sad to leave IF there were better alternatives - particularly with better mobile access

trummy200 (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 11:11
As an 'outsider' I would like to point out that at the moment users of SN can have a look round all the boards very easily - I do like that - especially on a miserable winters day when its not fit to be doing much else. Its unfortunate that abuse or trolls can have a negative impact - some boards seem more affected than others. Guess it only takes one bad apple!

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 12:41
Quote:
trummy200
As an 'outsider' I would like to point out that at the moment users of SN can have a look round all the boards very easily - I do like that - especially on a miserable winters day when its not fit to be doing much else. Its unfortunate that abuse or trolls can have a negative impact - some boards seem more affected than others. Guess it only takes one bad apple!

We will still be able to do that. And it's not about abuse or trolling; it's about the shiteness of Sportnetwork.

BB

samlee99 (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 13:04
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
trummy200

We will still be able to do that. And it's not about abuse or trolling; it's about the shiteness of Sportnetwork.

Nope. It's all about the "shiteness" of the morons who are encouraged to post and protected by the administrators. That won't change whatever the board is hosted.

BuckQuin (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 19:55
Pretty resounding vote for SNexit. But are we leaving the Forums Union? Will there be free movement of trolls?

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 07:55
Quote:
samlee99
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
trummy200

Nope. It's all about the "shiteness" of the morons who are encouraged to post and protected by the administrators. That won't change whatever the board is hosted.

No it isn't.

BB

samlee99 (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 12:48
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
samlee99
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
trummy200

No it isn't.

Wait and see then.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 12:55
Quote:
samlee99
Wait and see then.

See what? This thread is not about moving away from Sportnetwork because of abuse. Try reading it instead of trying to hijack it.

BB

T-Bone (IP Logged)
12 June, 2018 16:17
Quote:
ChipsteadQuin
Personally DOK , Im sure you hold the 'Block Vote' on this .
Whilst there are many things that are irritating about SN , under your stewardship it serves us well .

But , if you feel that there is a better way to give us a forum ( and hopefully make life easier for you as well) , then no one is going to object to a change

I doubt there is a long queue waiting to take over from you .

Im happy with what you decide is the best way forward.

Echo these sentiments completely. I don't know anything about these sorts of sites, so no idea what decent alternatives there are, pros and cons, etc. I find this site fine on a laptop / desktop but really bad on a mobile. The ads are a real pain too, so if there is something better which won;t cost anything and is just as easy for DOK to run then happy days

Albi-Quin (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 21:09
Vote 70 . Anywhere at the moment seems better than SN. Continually logs you out. All the adverts and having to agree to this se of cookies etc virtually every time I open the page

Mr_B (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 12:42
Firstly have to say DOK you do a great job and yes I want to continue to have a site. SN is clunky and whilst I don't mind the odd add to pay for it, SN have so many and they take over your screen making it almost unusable at times and certainly on a mobile. So if there is a viable option to move to I would.

DOK. (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 08:28
Yes. I think it's the adverts that drive me insane on the board. So I use an ad-blocker, but I realise that not everyone does. There are a few other features on the new board that are nice and also we don't have that ticking time bomb that if we don't put something on the front page within a certain time then the message board will be disabled. There are adverts on the new board, but they are more discreet and easily ignored

Boonie (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 13:30
Also, Adblock works very well on the new site.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

DOK. (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 13:52
You might think so, I could not possibly comment!

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 16:37
Again, as a non-Quin fan Ive not voted , but itd be a shame to have the separation we have with Glou - I have an account but flicking between much harder.

That said I fully get the aggro, even with Adblock

Of interest (I say not being the one whod have to reach out) would be the various boards mods nattering and considering a wider group movement

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

raedarius (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 17:04
I used to spend a fair amount of time on the other boards but have seen them become less tolerant of other teams' supporters over time (not just me...). We probably look the same from the outside. Not sure many others are that fussed about the 'rugby network' concept.

DOK. (IP Logged)
22 June, 2018 09:34
There's a menu on the new board to allow you to jump to all the premiership fans message boards. It's not really different to the SN dropdown.

23Shark (IP Logged)
22 June, 2018 14:34
You'd need more than one login though as you'd have to have accounts for all of them

DOK. (IP Logged)
22 June, 2018 15:20
Well, if you set up one login (for London Irish for example), you can use that to log onto the other SN sites.

And actually, although I occasionally lurk on other boards, it's been a couple of years since I posted anything on them.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 07:13
Just out of interest. Is there a Sportnetwork wide disatisfaction? As mentioned earlier, DOK have you been in contact with other board moderators & would other boards follow us?

DOK. (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 11:24
I don't know. The mod on the London Irish board is pretty hacked off. Once we abandon the idea of all being together, then there's no real difference if the LI board is on the same site as us or elsewhere. You'd still need to set up your own login on the LI board to post on the LI board. Of course if you're just reading you don't need a login

DOK. (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 21:03
Please don't post any more on this subject on this message board. Please move across to the new ComeAllWithin Forum and share your views and opinions there.

Many thanks, DOK

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net