rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Ben Urdapilleta
euroquin (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 21:09
Now has a Top 14 winners medal after a brutal but utterly absorbing final.

Also finished as the second highest points scorer in the Top 14 this season. After a certain Ben Botica.

Re: Ben Urdapilleta
samlee99 (IP Logged)
03 June, 2018 10:14
I can recall all the criticism on here saying he was no good and never would be.

raedarius (IP Logged)
03 June, 2018 10:31
I think that you may be overstating that somewhat.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
03 June, 2018 12:38
Players do seem to do well after leaving us.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
03 June, 2018 17:14
Quote:
euroquin
Now has a Top 14 winners medal after a brutal but utterly absorbing final.
Also finished as the second highest points scorer in the Top 14 this season. After a certain Ben Botica.

Thing is though, Smith was top in the Prem for nearly all season and we were appalling so you canít really read much into it. He isnít suddenly Wilkinson.

plzd (IP Logged)
03 June, 2018 18:49
I would not want him back but wish him well

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 06:51
Quote:
samlee99
I can recall all the criticism on here saying he was no good and never would be.

He wasn't good enough for us, no. Must have been kicking well in France at least.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

euroquin (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 07:23
I wasn't suggesting that we had made a mistake at the time in either case by releasing the player. But it is interesting to see how different environments can suit or not suit a player and their development.

Also, the top 14 final was of incredible intensity, albeit with the resulting errors. High entertainment.

samlee99 (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 12:44
Quote:
Jammy Git
Quote:
samlee99

He wasn't good enough for us, no. Must have been kicking well in France at least.

The point is he was written off by a good many of the so-called experts on here who said we should get rid of him as he would never be good enough. He has now proved how wrong they were.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 13:21
I've just done a search on Urdapilleta and could only find one post suggesting that.

D-Quins (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 14:45
My recollection is that Ben only had limited chances to play. The downside to having NE in the team was that he was so much better than any number 2, the number 2 got little time to play. Fly half is a confidence position and if you only play occasionally you are not going to show your best side. Saw a bit of Ben in the HC this year and he looked a good player. So I would agree where he is has suited him, possibly because he gets to play

D-Quins

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 14:59
Didn't he play a bit in the centres for us though. I remember him playing in the sevens and looking a very good player.

samlee99 (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 15:49
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
I've just done a search on Urdapilleta and could only find one post suggesting that.

You need to search a bit harder.

Or simply have a better memory.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 17:12
Which threads are you talking about? Links please.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 18:10
He came to us as an up-and-coming young Argentine who was on the edge of breaking into their national team. He never really fulfilled that promise.

Congratulations to him on winning a title 6 years after leaving Quins, but I'm not sure it proves much of anything except the opportunity to yet again criticise unnamed posters over their dissatisfaction with a player.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

blucherquin (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 05:28
Quote:
Scaramouche
Players do seem to do well after leaving us.

Well Iíve never heard of the bloke, and having looked him up heís spent most of his career at Oyonnax in the 2nd tier of French rugby other than the odd yo-yo season in the top flight.

Heís now 32, has played for Castres this year and has had what looks like a great year and won a title - presumably in what is almost his last year of rugby.

Not sure what it proves about anything really.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 06:47
32, presumably his last year of rugby?? How come??

blucherquin (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 11:07
Quote:
HonkyTonk

QUICK EDIT - realised you also removed the word ďalmostĒ from what I wrote - why?

Ok well itís not far off is it - anyway thatís not really my point - my point is he played for 2nd tier French team for most of his career and has now achieved something near the end of it.

Iím delighted for him (Iím not really, it doesnít affect me in any way) but Iím not sure what it says about Quins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2018 10:57 by blucherquin.

Boonie (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 10:27
It's the off-season. People need to find something to be contentious about...(Sm131)

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 11:18
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
HonkyTonk

QUICK EDIT - realised you also removed the word ďalmostĒ from what I wrote - why?

Ok well itís not far off is it - anyway thatís not really my point - my point is he played for 2nd tier French team for most of his career and has now achieved something near the end of it.

Iím delighted for him (Iím not really, it doesnít affect me in any way) but Iím not sure what it says about Quins.

Nothing sinister, more a typo from me. Just wondered if you had never heard of him before, you thought he would be finishing soon, 32 isn't really knocking on heavens door!!

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 12:02
Quote:
Boonie
It's the off-season. People need to find something to be contentious about...(Sm131)

No they don't.

Stoquin (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 12:59
Oh yes we do...

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 13:16
Is this where I come for the 5 minute argument?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 16:53
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Is this where I come for the 5 minute argument?

No itís where you come for contradiction

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 09:32
Never get pregnant that way.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 13:53
Quote:
Scaramouche
Never get pregnant that way.

Iím going to withdraw from this now

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net