rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Double Header
Navyquin (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 18:06
It is being reported by Friends of The Stoop and Harlequins via their Facebook page that the double header is not happening the season coming up.

Re: Double Header
blucherquin (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 18:43
Quote:
Navyquin
It is being reported by Friends of The Stoop and Harlequins via their Facebook page that the double header is not happening the season coming up.

Thank god or Simon Cowell or whichever omnipresent being you worship.

Terrible terrible soulless event with shrinking crowds that needs killing off.

plzd (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 18:59
Thank goodness for that

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 19:05
If that's true, that's at least one relief! There's still talk of one of our games (against Sale?) being the game that gets played in the US...

DazzaS (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 19:23
Quote:
blucherquin

2004- 51,000
2005- 35,000
2006- 51,960
2007- 39,400
2008- 52,087
2009- 67,684
2010- 75,112
2011- 55,437
2012- 63,102
2013- 62,637
2014- 66,164
2015- 42,680
2016- 47,029
2017- 56,532

Average- 54,701

It's plateaued out a bit. It dropped in 2015 probably because of world cup and had to build back up again but has gone up since then. If it continues to grow then will stay. Is double header certainly not happening or is it that Quins are not participating?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2018 19:23 by DazzaS.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 19:09
I thought that it was still going ahead, just not with quins. I put this down to the fact we may also be playing in the US and the club did not want to push their luck upsetting people.

Dave L (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 20:57
Iíve also heard that itís no more. Good riddance. I went to the one where we played Bristol a couple of years ago and it was soulless. Neither the Quins nor Sarries fans were all that bothered about being there it seemed.

Flagpole Father (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 05:10
For what it's worth, I quite like the Double Header, 2 games for the price of one...bargain!

05 June, 2018 05:16
Quote:
Dave L
Iíve also heard that itís no more. Good riddance. I went to the one where we played Bristol a couple of years ago and it was soulless. Neither the Quins nor Sarries fans were all that bothered about being there it seemed.

I was at that one too, & completely agree re the lack of atmosphere. Sat in the East side of the bowl all you could see was that the West side (behind the cameras) had only te bottom level occupied. The middle tier was empty from the middle of the North to the middle of the South, with all the people on that level sat in the East side to make it look good for the cameras.

Richmond council still have the DH listed on their future events. That's not to say that the rumour on the FotS Facebook page is wrong, as the claim is that it's been confirmed by someone at the RFU, just that Richmond Council still think it's on. They *could* even be thinking of having it without us or Sarries for once. The idea at the beginning made sense as you had 4 "London" clubs. Maybe to keep it "fresh" they're looking at having 4 teams from outside London for a change...

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 06:46
Quote:
Navyquin

Could we really be that lucky??

Cookie (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 07:09
Itís not a rumour. It was confirmed in a tweet by the RFU Community team (@rfuhometurf).

PQ2 (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 07:26
Quote:
blucherquin

- For clarity, did you mean LDH, Friends of the Stoop, Harlequins or Facebook?

05 June, 2018 08:01
Quote:
Cookie
Itís not a rumour. It was confirmed in a tweet by the RFU Community team (@rfuhometurf).

Nice! Just checked their feed, and they say the next Rugby game at the main stadium is October. The first International isn't until 3rd of November, so could there be another club game being pushed across the road like the Bath one was?

Finknottle (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 08:46
Richmond Council have it listed on their events timetable for Saturday 1st September...

[www.richmond.gov.uk]

05 June, 2018 08:48
Quote:
Finknottle
Richmond Council have it listed on their events timetable for Saturday 1st September...
[www.richmond.gov.uk]

Yes, but as TBD on the timing. Plus, as Cookie pointed out (and I've checked as well) an official RFU communications chnnel for the Twickenham local community has said it is not happening. I'd take the RFU line as being more accurate...

Samquin (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 09:56
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
Finknottle
[www.richmond.gov.uk]

Yes, but as TBD on the timing. Plus, as Cookie pointed out (and I've checked as well) an official RFU communications chnnel for the Twickenham local community has said it is not happening. I'd take the RFiU line as being more accurate...

I think Richmond Council have made a note that it is normally the LDH on the 1st weekend in September and put put it in their event calender as a marker.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 11:03
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
Cookie

Nice! Just checked their feed, and they say the next Rugby game at the main stadium is October. The first International isn't until 3rd of November, so could there be another club game being pushed across the road like the Bath one was?

More likely another international like Pumas v Wallabies etc

05 June, 2018 11:09
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
Cookie

It would be outside the International Window, so it would restrict it to Southern Hemispere teams if it is...

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 11:54
Well if It’s outside the International window, then it’s bound to be wales so that Gatland can @#$%& about the English based players not being there!

The problem with the double header only works if you pack it out and you can only do that if you offer tickets cheaply and encourage non rugby fans in with their groupons. It would be better if they only had 55,000 tickets and just had the bottom tier open and sell the tickets through the 4 clubs only.

But as always, greed is the main driving force.

DOK. (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 12:00
I thought it a great idea when it started. But it has got stale over the years, and we have introduced "The Big Game", which attracts a pretty good audience all on its own. I always went, but I shan't miss it.

Yareet (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 13:19
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
Cookie

There's a BaaBaas' game v Pumas after the AIs and I don't remember Twickenham hosting 5 "tests" in the Autumn before.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 05:47
Quote:
Yareet
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
Cookie

There's a BaaBaas' game v Pumas after the AIs and I don't remember Twickenham hosting 5 "tests" in the Autumn before.

We had Baa Bass v NZ before the Autumn games last year and two NFL games the weekends before that - so we had 6 ďeventsĒ in a row.

DazzaS (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 06:53
Apparently Twickenham is on standby to host the NFL game between Seattle and Oakland on 14th Octobe in case Tottenham's new stadium is not ready too.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 07:15
Quote:
PQ2
Quote:
blucherquin

- For clarity, did you mean LDH, Friends of the Stoop, Harlequins or Facebook?

Since I have more twitter followers than Friends of the Stoop I guess they donít count for ďshrinkingĒ so much as ďno one knows theyíre there anywayĒ.

The others all count smiling smiley

Dave L (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 08:27
Quote:
DOK
I thought it a great idea when it started. But it has got stale over the years, and we have introduced "The Big Game", which attracts a pretty good audience all on its own. I always went, but I shan't miss it.

That's it for me as well. We have BG - Sarries have their Wembley/London Stadium thingy. We both have our own grounds where we control the revenue and we're the only London teams in the Premiership this year. It's just tired now really and a good time to retire it.

GP2110 (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 08:40
If the Double Header is an away game, surely there is only upside for Quins given that we would be at a neutral venue?

06 June, 2018 08:49
Quote:
GP2110
If the Double Header is an away game, surely there is only upside for Quins given that we would be at a neutral venue?

There is every chance that we would be a home side at the LDH if it went ahead. We managed to negotiate to be an away team on the proviso we didn't take any of the profits when there were four "London" teams. That was a win-win for everyone concerned. The other 3 clubs got a little more money, and we got to keep our Home game. Now, however, there's only 2 London clubs. Wasps haven't taken part since 2015 & LI aren't in the Prem. Last time that happened, we were a home team in 2016. We can't be an away team against Saracens as that would scupper their "Derby" game at Wembley/London Stadium later in the season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2018 09:41 by Fearless Fred.

GP2110 (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 08:52
Thanks, FF. That makes perfect sense. I certainly wouldn't want a DH if we are the home team. But I would be very happy with there being one if we are the away team.

It seems that the decision has been made in any event.

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 09:02
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
Cookie

It would be outside the International Window, so it would restrict it to Southern Hemispere teams if it is...

It's unlikely to be an international. I've checked the World Rugby website and the only international games in October are:

6 October:
Springboks v All Blacks (no location given)
Pumas v Wallabies (Estadio Padre Ernesto Martearena, Salt)

27 October:
All Blacks v Wallabies (Nissan Stadium, Yokohama)

Boonie (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 10:09
Have to admit, I haven't been for years, since the crowd seemed more intent on starting a Mexican Wave than watching any rugby. Ergo, I shan't miss it.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 11:05
Quote:
GP2110

We were away last year to Irish and got beaten. We are normally the away side - except on 2 occasions.

Overall since 2004 weíve had 5 ďawayĒ wins, 1 home win and a draw. Weíve lost every other time - although didnít take part twice. Basically we are average to terrible at HQ.

Itís the time difference.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 11:57
smiling smiley

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

GP2110 (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 12:08
Thanks Blucherquin. However, I would assume (and please do correct me if I am mistaken) that our win % at a double header away game is far better than our win % at our other PL away games. So it may not be a case of "we are average to terrible at HQ" - it may be that "we are average to terrible on the road"?

Yareet (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 13:29
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Yareet
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
Cookie

We had Baa Bass v NZ before the Autumn games last year and two NFL games the weekends before that - so we had 6 ďeventsĒ in a row.

Hadn't factored in that there are 4 England tests already (the test window seems to be four weekends this year) so that would be 6 weekends with the BaaBaas and whatever is happening in October.

Throw in a potential NFL game in mid-October as well and Twickenham pubs looks like they could be very happy this Autumn

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 16:50
Quote:
GP2110
Thanks Blucherquin. However, I would assume (and please do correct me if I am mistaken) that our win % at a double header away game is far better than our win % at our other PL away games. So it may not be a case of "we are average to terrible at HQ" - it may be that "we are average to terrible on the road"?

Iíd love to take the time to check...but Iím not going to coz itíll make me even more tragic.

So weíll settle for - why the hell cant we play when we walk across the 316.

06 June, 2018 17:14
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
GP2110

Iíd love to take the time to check...but Iím not going to coz itíll make me even more tragic.

So weíll settle for - why the hell cant we play when we walk across the 316.

Thing is, when we do it for Big Game, we generally *do* play, with a 5-2-3 record, and the three losses all getting a losing Bonus point against good opposition.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 18:01
And we won the final there!!!

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 19:34
RE The potential NFL game, havenít they already sold tickets for the other venue? That could be a right mess up & a tad embarrassing for both Spurs & the NFL.

Red Rooster (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 22:28
Quote:
QuinAlan
RE The potential NFL game, havenít they already sold tickets for the other venue? That could be a right mess up & a tad embarrassing for both Spurs & the NFL.

No tickets for this NFL game have been sold, unlike for the Wembley games. The latest information from NFL UK was that tickets for the Raiders v Seahawks game would be on sale in August having previously told fans these tickets would go out around the time the NFL fixtures were announced in April.

Selling tickets in August for a game in October with high demand and a restricted capacity would be an adminstrative nightmare something that the RFU venue which has experience in running these games might solve.

So the Twickenham as a reserve stadium for this game theory - Has legs in a journalistic sense

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net