rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Starting XV for next season..
quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 14:31
Would be interested to see what Gustard goes with for next season but that would be my bet provided he has full selection with injuries would be:

15 Brown
14 Earle
13 Marchant
12 Saili
11 Walker
10 Catrakilis
9 Care
8 Bothma
7 Robshaw
6 Chisolm
5 Horwill
4 Symons
3 Sinckler
2 Elia
1 Marler

Buchanan (if fit)
Boyce
Collier
Merrick
Clifford
Mulchrone
Smith
Morris

Re: Starting XV for next season..
quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 14:33
And Iíll bet my house that Bothma will be skippering us for next season.

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 21:44
Visser over Walker

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 21:50
Visser and Walker over Earle for me. Maybe Tapuai over Morris

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 22:20
Visser over Walker and Smith over the Cat for me. Until Walker and Demetri get repetative national honours like Visser and Smith - and do something to take the jersies from the incumbents - then Visser and Smith should stay. If it ain't broke...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2018 22:22 by The Dead Baron.

D-Quins (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 23:08
I am not sure anyone can use the "If it ain't broke" line at the moment after our last season. The answer is it was broke and I hope the new man can fix it!

I would go for the Cat at 10 and Visser over Walker on the wing, he is a different type of player than Walker or Earle.

I would also start Collier over Sinckler who I think can inflict more damage against a side in the last 20 than the first 20.

D-Quins

10 June, 2018 09:52
Arguably the line-up wasn't broke, the tactic and attitude were.

You've got a point about Sinks though. Impact player is probably more his style, although I'm not sure he'd agree since that won't do his England aspirations much good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2018 09:54 by The Dead Baron.

Saintquin (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 15:26
Surely Visser Would be left wing and Walker on the right.
I would have thought Walkers tries per game is one of the best at the club!

Harlequins, (was once) probably the best rugby club in the world!
(Sm115)(Sm115)(Sm115)

10 June, 2018 18:09
I know it's personal preference but I don't rate Walker as highly as Visser or Earle. Walker is fast down the wing but broadly speaking I think he's fragile defensively and doesn't have the foresight that Visser has as a decision maker / playmaker. That's just how I see it, of course. Others will probably disagree.

Yareet (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 18:15
Quote:
The Dead Baron
Until Walker and Demetri get repetative national honours like Visser and Smith -

Cat - two SA training camps
Smith - three England training camps

Not exactly a massive difference in ďnationalĒ honours

BuckQuin (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 19:43
Question: do we think Robshaw is still one of the first names on the team sheet? One of my favourite players ever to wear the Quins jersey but on recent performances I feel he needs at least a rest - and then after that rest I wonder if he'd automatically be back in. The back row listed above worries me a little if that really is (and I think it probably is something like) our starting back row. We really do need a jackal flanker. I disagree that we're light on ball carriers - it's the turnover machine I'd like to see brought in.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 20:03
1. Marler
2. Buchanan
3. Collier
4. Merrick
5. Horwill
6. Bothma
7. Clifford
8. Chisholm
9. Care
10. Smith
11. Visser
12. Lang
13. Marchant
14. Ibitoye
15. Brown

Iím giving Robshaw a good rest. Iím hoping to see Clifford play regularly again, always felt he had a bit of Hooper the Wallaby 7 about him. Ibitoye just has to play! Centres are tough but I like what Iíve seen of Lang, & Marchant just shades the rest. Smith I think will start ahead of Cat.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 20:08
Surprised people want to drop our player of the season.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 09:58
Not sure I want Smith ahead of the Cat. Canít see Gustard doing it as first choice - kid played too much rugby last season and is still learning. Heíd be fantastic as a ďfinisherĒ and can take fewer hits etc etc while he continues to learn under Nev and DC.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 10:10
He's one of the best fly halves in England - I'd play him.

thomh (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 10:20
Robshaw looks a bit spent at the moment, Bothma has played around 5 games for us and Clifford has had surgery to repair a detached hamstring, so it's pretty tricky to speculate on who the best back row will be.

Catrakillis will start plenty of games and Smith will start plenty of games. We can guess at who the starting 10 will be on day 1, but the starting team for "next season" is a bit of a meaningless concept really.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 10:26
I'm with Blucher on FH selection. Smith is a rare talent, yes, but he's still learning & developing, and shouldn't be over-played. One of the things Gustard needs to do is improve our defence and our game-play (he's already mentioned it). Sometimes that means pragmatic play & a more steady hand at that key position. Smith is a great attacking threat, but his defence needs work. I know he's done some decent tackling, but we often needed to use Desperate Dan to cover his channel last season, and that no doubt had an affect on our defensive patterns generally. Catrakilis may not be as flashy a FH, but he's more experienced, and we should look to use him accordingly.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 10:41
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

He was making plenty of poor mistakes by the end of the season

11 June, 2018 14:42
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

He was making plenty of poor mistakes by the end of the season

Very true, but if you beat him with that stick then you're going to be bruising pretty much all of the matchday 23. I can't think of a single player who hadn't commited some howler or other in the last two months of the season.

DOK. (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 15:45
and if you're playing 10 and have no idea where the man outside you will be next time you turn to pass...

Rocker (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 16:17
1. Marler
2. Buchanon
3. Collier
4. Symons? Merrick
5. Horwill
6. Robshaw
7. Wallace
8. Bothma
9. Care
10. Cat
11. Visser
12. Sali
13. Marchant
14. Ibitoye
15. Brown

For me. There's a couple who could feel left out or unlucky, but I would imagine that there will be plenty of opportunities for everyone as we're bound to get injuries and probably a few call ups too. I'm thinking particularly of Chis and Clifford in the back row, Lang in the centres and Smith, but I'm sure there will be enough game time to go round.
I still think we need a decent 9 to back up DC and could do with another 2nd row and possibly a decent hard carrying back rower (although if Bothma stays fit that isn't an issue).

CPB62 (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 17:25
Frankly you can play who you like, if they canít defend properly and tackle the outcome will be the same.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 17:44
Thats the spirit!!

Rocker (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 18:19
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Thats the spirit!!
Quite, can't have any of this unfounded optimism can we!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 18:26
Quote:
CPB62
Frankly you can play who you like, if they canít defend properly and tackle the outcome will be the same.

Must be the sunny weather making you so happy.

poorfour (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 08:41
If we can keep 4 of Clifford, Wallace, Baby Chis, Bothma, Luamanu and Robshaw fit, I'd be quite happy to see a bit more rotation. At the moment, though, none of the others have been able to put together a run of games without injury or suspension.

It would be great to see them all playing regularly and giving Robshaw a chance to manage his game time.

quinsfan123 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 19:00
For what I imagine we're paying Saili he should be given an extended run at 12 and if that doesn't work then you go down the Land/Tapuai avenue. I am aware Tapuai defending for Bath wasn't great last season but he did start at 12 for the majority of the season and last season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net