Mike Brown Defends his Reaction
QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 09:01
Mike Brown has defended his reaction to comments made -

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Re: Mike Brown Defends his Reaction
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 09:12
100% agree with Brown on this. Perhaps the "fan" thought he was at a wendyball game. Muppet.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 09:15
Any chance of the copy being printed here for those without a telegraph account?

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 09:19
By Mick Cleary, Rugby Union Correspondent, in Durban
19 June 2018 • 10:00pm

Mike Brown has defended his right to react to a supporter giving him abuse over the tunnel wall following last weekend’s 23-12 defeat to South Africa in Bloemfontein by declaring: ‘I am not a robot. I am a human being.”

In a separate incident Brown’s Harlequins team-mate, prop Joe Marler, was also caught up in an ­exchange with the same spectator, who was venting his anger at what had happened as England went down to their fifth Test defeat in succession.

Brown, the England wing who has scored tries in each Test, took himself off Twitter a while ago as he had become fed up with the “abuse” he was receiving. It was the specific charge that Brown was not trying that really irked the 32-year-old, as well as the fact that the fan was “screaming obscenities”, at him.

“I was very happy with my ­reaction,” said Brown. “I told him to shut up and walked off. I am not a robot. I am a human being.

“He was an England supporter with the flag, the kit, all sorts. I told him to shut up like I would tell ­anyone if they said something like that.

“It surprised me that someone, a supporter who had obviously watched England over a number of years, could say that I don’t try. At the end of the day he can say that he doesn’t like me as a player and that I can’t do this, that or the other: that’s fine, that’s his opinion.

“But don’t ever say I’m not trying because people can see how much effort I put in on the field.

“Even if I make mistakes or don’t play very well, there has never been a game in my career where I have not put 100 per cent effort in. I have got 71 caps and that has never been the case. It is probably over-trying rather than under-trying that has been our problem.”

Brown has always been a spiky character on the field and it is that combative persona that has led to Eddie Jones, the England coach, having so much faith in him.

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 09:21
This is the same report from the Beeb:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

WellingQuin (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 09:21
Brown had every right to react like that, I would have done exactly the same.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 09:22
Ta

DOK (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 09:30
Good for Mike Brown, and I agree with him - he's always puts in 100%. You can argue whether its effective, whether he's doing what he should be doing, but you can see his commitment every game. Two tries in two games against South Africa, what's that, a dilettante?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 09:41
Good on him. He's now getting loads of flak for this on twitter, as some prat changed the headline to "I deserve respect", so everyone is now having a go at him for being arrogant.

You can not like him as a player, to question his commitment is just a bit thick.

It also amazes me how people can't differentiate between someone being an incredibly intense, committed, feisty, angry, etc player on the pitch, but then not being like that off the pitch. A lot of the Welsh fans seem the worst culprits at this, judging by twitter. They despise him because he tries hard and shows how much it cares to him.

poorfour (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 10:08
Quote:
T-Bone
Good on him. He's now getting loads of flak for this on twitter, as some prat changed the headline to "I deserve respect", so everyone is now having a go at him for being arrogant.
You can not like him as a player, to question his commitment is just a bit thick.

It also amazes me how people can't differentiate between someone being an incredibly intense, committed, feisty, angry, etc player on the pitch, but then not being like that off the pitch. A lot of the Welsh fans seem the worst culprits at this, judging by twitter. They despise him because he tries hard and shows how much it cares to him.

A lot of them seem to despise him because English players are not allowed to be passionate or spiky. It's seen as arrogance. If he were Welsh, or Irish, or Scottish, it would be seen as passionate.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 10:17
Quote:
poorfour
Quote:
T-Bone

A lot of them seem to despise him because English players are not allowed to be passionate or spiky. It's seen as arrogance. If he were Welsh, or Irish, or Scottish, it would be seen as passionate.

Exactly

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 12:04
I wonder what Joe's reaction to the same fan was.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 12:08
Scarier, I expect!

Fans abusing players and coaches is really not a good look.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

InsertQuinsPunHere (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 13:09
Quote:
Jammy Git
Scarier, I expect!

Scarier I hope... "fan" deserves to be taken down a peg or two

John Tee (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 13:25
You can't wind a player up and get him to put his body on the line and then slaughter him straight after and expect a calm reaction. This is why pitchside interviews are a bit unfair...let the player calm down first.

As long as he is pretty civil, he is entitled to defend himself.
I don't think people have a right for a free for all if they dont carry themselves well with their questions.
I think some interviewers are pretty antagonistic too and they should be able to ask those questions later but not sure it is fair straight off the pitch when emotions are still raw...
I thought Brown answered his critics on the pitch well enough but no one in their right mind would accuse him of not trying... Imo.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 17:51
yup

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Dave L (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 00:37
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
poorfour
Quote:
T-Bone

Exactly

+1.

Cookie (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 11:32
The problem seems that the comment was more about not trying hard enough rather than not playing very well.

Players can accept the latter, but are well within their rights to respond to the former, IMO. That's not on.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 13:31
Exchanges between players and supporters after a disappointing losing match are never going to be intelligent, articulate and polite - are they?

I don't know where Mike Brown met these fans, but it was never a good idea, surely?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 13:40
Quote:
QuickerQuin
Exchanges between players and supporters after a disappointing losing match are never going to be intelligent, articulate and polite - are they?
I don't know where Mike Brown met these fans, but it was never a good idea, surely?

I think someone was shouting at them when they went down the tunnel.

The other classic argument I've seen online is "we pay their wages so should be able to have a go at them".

At times last season I admit I did question some of our players' efforts, and I do think that was reasionable at the time. Mike would never fall into that csmp though

Cairns Family (IP Logged)
22 June, 2018 21:28
I'm s Jock and Mike Brown never gives less than 110%. He's a universal soldier riespective of who he plays against. As I play 3td team rugby on the back pitch turn it would be excellent.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
22 June, 2018 21:40
Quote:
Cairns Family
I'm s Jock and Mike Brown never gives less than 110%. He's a universal soldier riespective of who he plays against. As I play 3td team rugby on the back pitch turn it would be excellent.

Pardon?

Cairns Family (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 14:42
Quote:
QuickerQuin
Quote:
Cairns Family

Pardon?

Broke my own rules on never posting late at night after. A couple of glasses of drink. And it didn't help I was using my phone on an an unreliable internet connection.

What I was trying to say is that Mike Brown never gives less than his all and can never be accused of not trying. Irrespective of who he is playing for or against. If he were available: Quins or my club's 3rd team he would be in the side. And we would be assured that he would not let us down.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net