rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

MESSAGES->author
Rugby World Cup 2015
StBleach (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 06:15
I find it quite amazing, that the very first game in the 2015 World Cup kicks off in Mexico on March 25th 2012 - Mexico v Jamaica.... hope its being televeised.

RedSaint
Re: Rugby World Cup 2015
RedSaint (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 13:56
Mexico are one of the nations who will benefit most from the Olympic Sevens decision. They've already now played a leg on the WSS and their inclusion in RWC15Q despite not yet being IRB-ranked is a sign of their target union designate status.

They haven't played one-time potential RWC19 hosts Jamaica yet, but have played the other opponent in their NACRA North pool twice before, beating Cayman Islands over-50s retired bankers National Team on both occassions. If they can also beat Jamaica, round two against Bermuda and Bahamas are up next.

South Pool features Barbados and St Vincent and The Grenadines, with the winner joining Trinidad & Tobago and Guyana in Round 2. This just leaves me thinking, man, I've got to get me some North American refereeing credentials...

Elsewhere, the qualifying process for RWC15 as a whole was officially confirmed this week, with only cosmetic changes meaning it's likely to be status quo in England and that it's again going to be harder than Danny Cipriani at Mardi Gras to qualify from Europe...

Key points:

*Fiji put a cricket score on Oceania winner (PNG), no repecharge for the Pukpuks, a team probably close in level to Namibia.

*USA play USA North to decide Americas 1&2 - both have therefore already qualified, even if RWC doesn't admit it. Americas 3 to be Uruguay, although Brazil are coming up fast and Chile aren't a million miles back. Will lose in repecharge round 2 to Europe 3.

*Potential for change in Africa as the two best teams on the continent outside of the Bokke both got relegated to CAR 1B for off-field issues. However, Namibia and Morocco have this year and next to win promotion and still be in with a chance to go through. If they continue their absence, a resurgent Zimbabwe or maybe Kenya would be the likely Africa 1. Africa 2 loses away to Europe 3 in repecharge round 1.

* As for Asia, the qualifier I couldn't possibly predict... Asia 2 (Kazakhstan, U.S. Occupied Korea, or the Kowloon Boat Race Club) loses to America 3 away in repecharge round 1.

* Which just leaves Europe, which after 3 years' of qualifying will provide the only real uncertainties... Basically it's three from the East European troika of Russia, Romania, and Georgia (which is in Europe, apparently?), and the three French Barbarians sides posing as the National Teams of Spain, Belgium, and Portugal...

It's nice the RWCQ process is expanding, but a shame it only produces one change every 4 years. The bigger shame though is that the RFU's sole ever good idea - bringing the top tier 2 and 3 teams into a lower tier tournament - never came through...

Anyway, there's another Rugby World Cup to think of first - Moscow in 2013!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2012 14:01 by RedSaint.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net