rugbyunion
Latest News:

Saints & Sinners Message Board

Quicklinks

LaurieK
LaurieK (IP Logged)

When it's not Saints who do we support
22 March, 2012 09:30
Following Saints can be a pretty full on and emotional journey. And then we get a week when we lose a cup final, and lose to Tigers, and have our captain cited. Oh yes, and have our other captain cited. In moments like this it is good to have another team to support, especially when they are doing well.

We have the good fortune to support Southampton FC, the other Saints. At times both teams have struggled and both have been relegated. On others, both have been doing well and that is how it is in recent seasons. Saints in the Top 4 and footie Saints looking good for successive promotions. As this difficult week passes I have been thankful to be able to wallow in the success of the other Saints and take heart. But of course it can all go belly up.

So my question is, who else do you support and how much solace are you getting this week?

MESSAGES->author
St Francis (IP Logged)

Re: When it's not Saints who do we support
22 March, 2012 09:43
No one really. I check out the Cobblers' results with less and less interest as the years go by. If any other soccer teams are playing I can't watch for long enough to form a preference, sleep quickly takes over.....

However if I am watching a mungoball game involving St Helens, I guess I would want the "other" Saints to win just because of the name.

MESSAGES->author
smurfomatic (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 09:53
I picked up Reading FC from my time at uni there, they reminded me of the Saints in as far as they kept getting into the playoffs then falling at the final hurdle. They've had time in the Premiership since and look like a possible return next year.

I also look out for Liverpool scores, as a kid I always liked their style. Cobblers results as well of course, and the county during the summer months keep my sporting frustrations going!

Photo Gallery

SWH12 - May 10th 2014

Saint71
Saint71 (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 09:54
I actually enjoy watching and kind of supporting Clermont Auvergne : not really sure why but perhaps they just sound exotic and I just like several of their players.
The wife is quite happy too as she supports Aurelien Rougerie though I'm guessing not for the same reasons !!!! [:wor kid:]

MESSAGES->author
StBleach (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 10:08
Im not getting any joy from my 'other' team , Cardiff City who are descending down the league at a rate of knots - this week, when saddened by the Citing nonsense, I simply look at my Grand Slam 2012 Poster and I smile.. my 'other other' team did ok.

SAINT_aitch
SAINT_aitch (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 10:19
Ive always had a soft spot for Cornish Pirates since our sojourn there a few years back and they very pleasant friends we made.
I also kinda support the Australian team, Western Force because my Sister lives in Perth and brought me a replica team shirt.

LaurieK
LaurieK (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 10:23
I also keep an eye on Biarritz as my French rugby team but it is an interest not a passion.

Lloydie
Lloydie (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 10:44
Liverpool FC for me, not a great season either but at least we have a trophy in the cabinet and another one a possibility!
Trust King Kenny will sort it.

Broonie
Broonie (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 11:46
i'm a bit of a pot hunter, and coming from the blue part of glasgow i have the good fortune to support Rangers F.C.

never thought i'd be able to buy them though (Sm22)

in rugbyi am also lucky, as my other team are scotland ; still, there's a good chance i'll get to see them play the wandies some day...

MESSAGES->author
OldPete (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 11:49
I always check to see how Ipswich Town are doing - nowadays not well at all - I was there on the day when they won the old First Division championship under Alf Ramsey .

Rugby wise - there is the Saints and .... and ...

MESSAGES->author
MoANjAm (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 11:56
Dont have much of an interest in Footall... so naturally I follow what Cov City and the Cobblers are doing.

Other than that Pittsburg Steelers, Brive and Old CC (for some bizare reason which I havent yet worked out)

"sup·port·er"

Noun:
1.A person who approves of and encourages someone or something (typically a public figure, a movement or party, or a policy).
2.A person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team.

http://www.smurfomatic.plus.com/mo.gif

hoddros
hoddros (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 11:58
I've got loads....from the top.....

I have been an Evertonian since 1969, I think when my Dad took me to Goodison for my 8th Birthday present. I have never forgiven him. Why couldn't he have taken me to The Bernabeu or The San Siro? I would be rich if I hadn't spent so much money watching them.

I always watch for the Cobblers, having been to over 200 games over the years, until the rugby bug hit me.

As a complete outside, I lived in Athens for 3 years and followed Panathanaikos (PAO) whilst there, still love them.

Washington Redskins.

The County.

Europe in the Ryder Cup.

Any horse ridden by AP McCoy.

Cg
Cg (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 11:59
Good post Laurie

In Rugby Union I support Rugby Lions - interesting to see what is happening there. I always look out for what Coventry are up to (my dad played for them so a bit of a soft spot for them).

And (ok I may get shot down here in flames but) I also like to see how Tigs are doing. Living on the boarder of the two counties you get to hear and see so much of Tigs, Saints are in a minority around here!! I have some good mates at Tigs on and off the field.

Futher afield then Munster (I just love the passion) and even further away then Mossman (Sydney). My son is the Club Captain, 2nd year running and the first English man to Captain the club since the club formed back in the day.

Cg

NORTH WILTS WASP AT WORK
Nigel Scott (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 12:04
Got a list as long as your arm

Football - Chelsea, also look for Cobs and Swindon
Rugby - (Sm163)

Speedway - Rye House, although I go to Swindon much more often
Cricket - Northants still

Overseas wise
American footy - Tampa
Baseball - Angels
Aussie rules - Brisbane Lions
Footy - Sparta Prague

Two flies crawling up a window - the one on the left hand side

MESSAGES->author
Howlin (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 12:06
England
British and Irish Lions
Cornish pirates
Bedford
Anyone playing Leicester
Anyone playing Sarries

Think that's it, still watch a bit of football but don't really "support" anyone anymore.

Saint til I die

MESSAGES->author
saintian (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 12:12
England
British and Irish Lions
Newbury
Bedford
Anyone playing Leicester,Sarries or Wasps

MESSAGES->author
lilyg (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 12:13
Ummm....

Sunderland
Cobblers
Waikato Chiefs
and I do have a little soft spot for Toulouse

SaintsDuncan
SaintsDuncan (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 12:13
Quote:
LaurieK
So my question is, who else do you support and how much solace are you getting this week?

Yeah thanks for that Laurie... sad smiley

Saints aside, Scotland and Newbury so work out the solace for yourself!

With my luck lately I pity Mr Rossi in a few weeks time.

22 March, 2012 12:15
Some bizarre similarities on here as I share Everton with Hoddros and the steelers with Moanjam. Always keep an eye on the cobblers and since getting involved with NTMDFC that interest has heightened. Cricket is my seccond love though and it's Northants and of course we now have all year round England matches. Being a MAMIL (middle aged man in lycra,) I also have the cycling to keep me interested and whereas in the past it was Greg Lemond, Lance Armstrong, Miguel Indurain, Stephen Roche etc we now have our UK heroes to cheer on. Golf becoems exciting for majors or the Ryder Cup but I never never never ever get excited by tennis and detest wimbledon.

No alcohol for January. I'm a dryathlete in aid of cancer research.

Dryathlon

walks10
walks10 (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 12:19
England
anyone against Ireland
anyone against Munster
anyone against Sarries
Leeds Utd for my sins for soccer although rarely watch any now because they all fall over rather too easily!

I played against Old CC last season MoANJam

MESSAGES->author
Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 12:25
I'm not a huge football fan, I find an entire game boring on most occasions, but will watch the highlights on Match of the Day. Because I'm married to a Stoke girl and now live in the potteries, I keep an eye on Stoke City's results, especially as I like Tony (I've got 15 points on my license) Pulis and the Coates family and what they've done for the club.

When I first came here, Stoke were in the same division as Port Vale, yet now have been playing European football and have stabilised themselves as a Premiership side.

The club that my whole family seems to support is Liverpool FC, so their results also attract my attention.

[lowrence.com]

Lloydie
Lloydie (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 12:35
Quote:
walks10
England
anyone against Ireland
anyone against Munster
anyone against Sarries
Leeds Utd for my sins for soccer although rarely watch any now because they all fall over rather too easily!

I played against Old CC last season MoANJam

Its me who plays for Old cc..which team you play for?

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 12:43
'Support' is too strong a word, but I keep an eye on the Cobblers, the Steelbacks, and to an extent the other county teams too.

And, when they existed, I quite liked to watch Cradley Heathens speedway.

Gregor
Gregor (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 13:01
Rugby-wise: Marr, Ayr & Scotland (away trips in the 6N are a must: go on one & you understand why the 6N is the world's best annual sporting tournament).

Elsewhere Ayr United FC, Troon FC, Washington Redskins, Boston Red Sox.

Actually, thinking about it, I'm not sure that there's too much solace to be had from following that lot ever...

MESSAGES->author
Chris B (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 13:07
Follow but dont support

McLaren (al be it not Hamilton)
St. Hellens
United

Watch:
Snooker

pboro_saint
pboro_saint (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 13:35
I'm a die hard Nottingham Forest fan, only been once this season as the Saints season ticket comes first, but similarly to Laurie Forest are generally having a good/bad season at the same time as Saints.

That is until this season when Forest seem to be having the season from hell. The sacking of Billy Davies (still no idea why) The wally with the brolly and now someone who can barely string a sentence together, coupled with the death of our owner, the club being put up for sale...

It makes Saints problems look tiny!

MESSAGES->author
ChrisG (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 13:53
Cov City, Montpellier rugby and football, Chicago Cubs, Sky cycling (despite the sponsor), Green Bay Packers.

The Packers, might have to be ditched though, they have some moderate success...

walks10
walks10 (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 13:56
@Lloydie, Wellingborough Town, i played at our place but missed the game at yours

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 14:04
I don't follow footie but I do keep an eye on the results for Arbroath FC (where I grew up), if only to see whether they ever get a home attendance of more humans than seagulls!

In rugby, Ayr and Stirling County.

Northampton Saints - Aviva Premiership Champions 2013/14

RedSaint
RedSaint (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 14:14
Well, I got up at 6am this Saturday to watch Russia lose 46-0 to a team the rivalry with which sees message board rabidness to make the most frothing postings on here this week look like a page full of smiley faces and love hearts.

So that was fun.

Elsewhere, I got my taste for losing finalists with the Buffalo Bills. Despite watching enough NHL to have the time spent doing so measured in light years, I still can't find a team to support, I'll see if either the RedWings or the Penguins grab me in the play-offs.

Which doesn't sound very fun either.

I follow Evgeny Malkin from the time he spent with Metallurg Magnitogorsk, and the three non-Vas Russians in the AP, so have some support for Sale and now, uncomfortably, Wasps.

I quite like Sky Cycling, but apart from that, in general I enjoy being neutral and watching sport silently supporting the team not being supported by everyone around me...

And whoever is playing Wales, the Notnots, and Worcester, of course.

Lloydie
Lloydie (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 14:38
Quote:
walks10
@Lloydie, Wellingborough Town, i played at our place but missed the game at yours
Both great games, you stuffed us at your place and we won a nail biter in the gloom at Old.
Our subsequent league title and promotion should have featured on Crimewatch!
Best wishes for this season

walks10
walks10 (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 14:50
you too Lloydie, i'm pretty sure div 3 is not too much of a step up

St Owen
St Owen (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 14:59
Bath.

You can't always get what you want, But if you try sometimes well you might find, You get what you need.

Richards/Jagger

Beef
Beef (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 15:18
England
Lions

England CC
The County

New England Patriots
Maclaren
Tipperary Hurley/GAA teams

Football leaves me cold

http://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/991152054167.gif

Terrace 'B' next to Mav, Shaddo, AB, Jeremy and Spud.

SarahH
SarahH (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 15:22
Beccehamian Ladies - not doing very well this season and fighting relegation. Game at home to Chelmsford this Sunday which will probably be a hiding to nothing so all hopes onto next week away to Dover which will decide the girls season..

MESSAGES->author
St Marlowe (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 17:15
I used to follow Watford in the 70's

B&I Lions
The County

David L

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

- Live wrong and preposterously

trob
Ratbag (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 17:17
Only one sport which I follow, Rugby. If its not the Saints, then its the ONs. My son used to play there and I used to coach mini/junior rugby. My team to look at is the Under 14s.

As for football, being Northampton born and bred I do look out for how the Cobblers got on.

MESSAGES->author
BerniesBestFriend (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 17:49
Super Reading...Super Reading FC!

http://www.smurfomatic.plus.com/bbf.gif

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 17:50
Any true Northamptonian like myself would have to say the Cobblers - lets not forget that not so long ago ( oh damn,its almost fifty years) NTFC were in the top flight and were pulling in fifteen thousand plus every home game. If I had to pick another football team it would have to be the Arsenal who like Saints are another bunch of under-achievers.

As far as our game is concerned, for reasons I cannot explain, I have a soft spot for Newcastle and of course Bordeaux with the Brooce connection.

Cricket - has to be the County ( more under-achievement )
F1 - Button
Nascar - Montoya
Baseball - Cubs
American Football - could'nt give a...........

MESSAGES->author
Jazzman (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 18:06
Rugby...Saints and any team JJ is playing for

Then follow the fortunes of:-

Football... Ketrin M'Duck

Golf... Europe in the Ryder Cup and any Brit in the Majors. Anyone in golf who is stuffing the Yanks, especially if it is Tiger Woods.

Tennis...passing interest in how Andy Murray does.

Loath and detest Formula One.

Cricket,snooker and darts bore me to tears..but if Hazel Irvine is presenting then I will force myself to watch.(Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
Paul Flatt (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 18:52
The Wanderers

“... I never dreamed about success. I worked for it." Estée Lauder,
American businesswoman

skybluesaint
skybluesaint (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 19:04
Posting name's a hint, as moved to Northampton from Coventry in 1986. If you ever think supporting the Saints is frustrating, think what it does to a man supporting the Sky Blues and Cov. Many years since I've been to a footy game tho and not much interested now. Like to watch Cov - a good trip there to watch the Wandies before Christmas.

Brive is our French team - the town is all rugby and the smallest in the Top 14 i think. Very like Northampton minus the Cobblers. Plus sun, good food, cheap good wine, safe town centre, street lights which all work....

muggs
Geoff S (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 19:15
When not at FG I will found supporting local grass roots rugby at Woodrush RFC (West Mids 3 South).

I commend it to the house, it certainly puts all the hype of premiership rugby into prospective.

Albion Saint
Albion Saint (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 19:55
No prizes for guessing the first one.

Plymouth Albion, the occassional trip to Launceston and any team on the back pitch at the office. The first fifteen games are really intense games.

Plymouth Devils speedway. Have just started going to Plymouth Raiders basketball. Nice for a change but don't think I will be a regular.

Albion Saint

Does watching drunk ladies in stilettos trying to walk on cobbles count as sport?

MESSAGES->author
ChrisG (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 21:01
Oh and Red Bull

MESSAGES->author
ClaireJ (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 21:19
Rugby, Stade Toulouse since my first trip there.

Football, I've been a Spurs supporter since the 1960's

Baseball, Boston Red Sox - my trip to Fenway Park was just magical - I want to go to see a match there one day

Cricket, I keep an eye on Essex.

MESSAGES->author
DorsetSaint (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 21:31
Bournemouth RFC & North Dorset RFC both providing some solace at the moment (top of National 3 South West & Southern Counties South)

As well as the mighty Poole Pirates speedway!

The least said about my teams in other sports, the better.

morse
morse (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 21:39
As with SAINT-aitch I look out for Western Force since my, and his, sister lives in Perth. Unfortunately my only visit there was in the off season so I just got to see an empty stadium.

I like to get along to the odd Cobblers game and County Cricket match.

Coventry Speedway

I'll always have a soft spot for Lotus, reliving the days of Ronnie Peterson and Jim Clark but goodness knows who the real Lotus is these days. Shame.

Big NASCAR fan, Roush Fenway Racing. Mark Martin, Carl Edwards!!!

busman james
busman james (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 22:29
In football, Kettering Town FC
Rugby League, Bradford Bulls
Cricket, Steelbacks and Rushton CC
Athletics, any GB, Jessica Ennis in particular
Cycling, Wiggins and Cavendish
F1, Button
Baseball, Red Sox
Darts, James Richardson, Kevin Painter and Paul Nicholson (all live in county).

MESSAGES->author
Connorman (IP Logged)

22 March, 2012 22:43
The best rugby club in town - located on the Billing Road!

harryw
harryw (IP Logged)

23 March, 2012 04:21
ON's for me plus The Brumbies

harry

newportfred
newportfred (IP Logged)

23 March, 2012 07:34
Football Aston Villa, Cobblers, Stirling Albion and Newport Pagnell Town

Rugby Olney rfc and Stirling County

Cricket Northants

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)

23 March, 2012 09:01
England Cricket
England Rugby
Northants Cricket
Bob Burnquist (skateboard)
Absolutely anyone in a GBR kit at worlds/olympics etc
BWFC
Anyone playing against ManU

In that order.

Taffy Chris
Taffy Chris (IP Logged)

23 March, 2012 09:48
Rugby - Wales, Lions. Abercarn RFC
Anyone playing aagainst the All Blacks

Football - Aston Villa, Cardiff City

Cricket - England, Glamorgan

Golf - any Brit challenging the yanks!

Tiggrrr
Tiggrrr (IP Logged)

23 March, 2012 11:28
No wanting to hijack your thread but...When I am not supporting Tigers I will support Saints no matter who they are playing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net