rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

MESSAGES->author
Pride in the team
MoANjAm (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 09:25
Jim is proud of the team's efforts

As a supporter I am also proud of the team and almost all of my fellow supporters. It's disappointing however that some still occasionally let the side down.

"sup∑port∑er"

Noun:
1.A person who approves of and encourages someone or something (typically a public figure, a movement or party, or a policy).
2.A person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team.

http://www.smurfomatic.plus.com/mo.gif

andysaint
Re: Pride in the team
andysaint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 10:13
Yes efforts are good and you can see them pushing themselves and the hurt when it doesn't come off.

However, results matter at the end of the day no matter how much effort goes in.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 10:16
Quote:
andysaint
Yes efforts are good and you can see them pushing themselves and the hurt when it doesn't come off.
However, results matter at the end of the day no matter how much effort goes in.

Agreed. And top teams should expect at least a LBP from away games against top 4 teams.

MESSAGES->author
OldPete (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 11:04
yesterday was a day that was very disappointing - but i saw very little if anything to be ashamed of .

Christa aka SaintCS
31 December, 2012 11:54
I thought I would share with you the following comment from two observers of yesterdays game. Both now retired rugby players, one played at the highest level.

"We both enjoyed the game. It was very high quality with few mistakes by either side. We both thought Saints unlucky to lose."

We should be proud of our team.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 11:54
An extract from today's press

'Mallinder insists Saints enjoy being in a position where they are given little chance'.

The problem with that statement is that it implies that Saints don't particularly enjoy being in a position where they are given a reasonable chance.

You have three types of game for a squad, the first when things do not go well, secondly, what I call 'steady state', and finally when giving it a real go. The most important being the week in week out steady state as its very difficult to give it a real go more than once a month say. Saints' steady state this season Mr Mallinder seems not to be top 4 I'm afraid.

I haven't watched the whole game yet but reports suggest it was Saracens at steady state versus Saints giving it a real go and Saracens still won.

tubby shark
Saint Tub (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 13:25
I think the one plus (unspoken) is since October we may have lost a few recent prem games but they were all to Tiggers, Sarries (twice) and Quins - you can lose those games and make the top 4 - we got 3 losing bonus points

LV is an irrelevance due to the random qualilfication groups and the Heineken we messed up when Ulster got 5 points here and an LBP at their place - otherwise that group was always going to be super tight and on paper still will be - I would not be 'risking' anyone for those games at this stage

We won the "must wins" (Sale and Welsh) and we have a tricky trip to Exeter on Saturday

The season will come down to 9th Feb onwards - we MUST do a Wasps of old - we should lose very few to England (Woody / Dylan benched and maybe Fodes) - Glos / Wuss / Bath / Irish / Wasps / Tigers (home) / Welsh and Sale before a final game v Quins away..

30 points MINIMUM must come from that - 7 wins and bonus points along the way and we will be up there somewhere

62 points has made the top 4 every season since 2007/8

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 13:43
Not so long ago we would have EXPECTED to beat ALL the other teams at home including the other three at the top, and be well in with a shout away. Now it seems our ambition is to do well against the top 4, of which we are no longer a part. What has happened ?

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 14:29
We have deteriorated, and others have improved. Obvious but unpalatable.

MESSAGES->author
ChrisG (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 14:36
I'm still not sure its terminal or that we are that far off though. Still work to do mind.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 14:39
By the way my main emotional feeling is far from pride, it is disappointment.
I do understand how some supporters on here do feel pride, because this is the only club where some of the crowd actually cheered the team at the end of a season we were relegated. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not for me, because I want the team to be winners not losers, and I have a feeling that the less demanding the support base is the more complacent the club becomes.

MESSAGES->author
MoANjAm (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 16:05
If your understanding of 'pride' is based purely upon the difference between being a winner and not a loser then you and I completely disagree about what it means to support a professional sporting club. Particularly this one.

For my part I was proud of Bruce's attitude the day we got relegated in 2007; I was as proud walking around the Heineken corporate tent in Cardiff, when we lost one of the greatest finals in the history of the game, as I was walking around the pitch at Twickenham in 2000 when we won the HC for the first time.

I am proud every time I see a player get smacked down only to get right back up again and have another go, irrespective of the final result.

I am proud that we have a club and a set of players/management who always refer to the level of support they get from the fans and never appear to take that for granted.

I was proud when I read an emotional, frank and heartfelt blog from Calum Clark about how much it hurt to lose last season at Thomand Park after 87 minutes and 'that' drop goal.

It's things like that, that make me realise (as if i didnít already know) that these are very young men, who regularly put their bodies on the line as part of their day job, often in circumstances that generate enormous levels of passion and emotion which I simply cannot relate to, and at the end of the day I feel they deserve my appreciation.

To all those people who regularly serve up a dollop of whining and moaning on this board each time the team loses, just because they cannot deal with the emotional impact I genuinely, seriously feel sorry for you. (And for those who do it just to be be controversial and Troll-like; as the great bard said in Julius Caesar; 'May your next turd be a Pineapple!')

Happy New Year everyone. (Sm128)

"sup∑port∑er"

Noun:
1.A person who approves of and encourages someone or something (typically a public figure, a movement or party, or a policy).
2.A person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team.

http://www.smurfomatic.plus.com/mo.gif

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 16:14
Chris i agree with you there.I think so much of this game is about what goes on in the mind -attitude, confidence etc. Just a few wins would change all our feelings, and the way players perform. One of the platitudes is "Good players don't become bad players over night". Actually they do, if only temporarily, we are playing with little confidence and it leads to poor results. The way back is to win, or we are getting dangerously close to forming a losing habit.

MESSAGES->author
St_Bart (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 16:39
thumbs down
I'm with you Mo, too many of the keyboard warriors here have terminal pessimism flowing in their veins.
we've had the discussion before but none of our team go out there without putting in 100% commitment, and neither do the coaching team.
I wonder how many COYS posters can speak from current on- field playing experience of the fully professional game in the AP? Very few, if any, I would suggest.
Many of us criticise Barnes for being out of touch with the modern game but perhaps we should carry through that thought when we pass judgement on this board.
BTW, after watching the game again, I thought van velze put in one of his best performances of the season yesterday, closely followed by wee Jamie. Tim's MoM will be a close call as far as far as I'm concerned.

St.Rich Joe's Dad
31 December, 2012 16:52
Mo

(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)

No alcohol for January. I'm a dryathlete in aid of cancer research.

Dryathlon

glorydayz
glorydayz (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 17:23
At one point I thoughts Sarries were going to bully us into a big defeat so I was proud of the way we fought our way back into the match. Also proud of all the fans I was sat amongst - I took a colleague to the match yesterday - his first experience of line Premiership Rugby and he thoroughly enjoyed the experience and now wants to come to FG for more.

alive and well in Shrubbery Terrace

Bingo Bango Saint
Bingo Bango Saint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 17:31
I'm extremely proud of Waller. I thought he was immense bearing in mind the amount of pressure being placed on him yesterday at scrum time. Not sure many props could have dealt with the starriest scrum.

john benson
Ben Johnson (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 17:54
Well said JD.

Come On You Saints

MESSAGES->author
dragon27 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 18:13
You should be proud of this team. Whether they're winning or losing the one thing you can guarantee is that they're giving everything for the Saints.

choppa
choppa (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 18:18
This pride of which you speak is kind of like the pride a parent feels at a school sports day, regardless of the results, isn't it?

Hey don't get me wrong I'm not fussed about results either. Getting to be an expensive excuse for a load of beers mind.

MESSAGES->author
OldPete (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 18:20
Mo - you just said what i have been trying to say for some time- and much better than what i would have done -thanks.

MESSAGES->author
dragon27 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 18:21
If my kids didn't win on sports day I wouldn't feed them.(Sm122)

MESSAGES->author
ChrisG (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 18:55
Well said John

MESSAGES->author
StBleach (IP Logged)
01 January, 2013 16:38
Well said Mo, you make a good point which summarises how I feel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net