MESSAGES->author
Rory Clegg joins Leeds on loan
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 14:13

MESSAGES->author
Re: Rory Clegg joins Leeds on loan
dragon27 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 14:49
He will now compete with another Ford, Joe.

saint_tim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 15:19
Joe was here for a while wasn't he but never seemed to get noticed by the coaches.

http://www.smurfomatic.plus.com/sttim.gif

“Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

Benjamin Franklin

Tetleys Block F E143

MESSAGES->author
dragon27 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 15:33
Yes Joe was at Saints for about 12 mths, he may have played a couple of LV games before returning to Leeds.

tubby shark
Saint Tub (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 15:43
Just always grimace at this sort of story

NZ or SA clubs aren't dropping 22/23 year old guys down a league to start 2 northern hem players ahead of them

Struggle to see how he gets back despite being U20 and Saxons capped - you could blow the world away in ND1 - will still not measure up to anything like prem standard

Your basically letting Nick Evans develop Botica - presumably people will point to the fact he could play for England based on his passport but he clearly wanted to get into Auckland when he left Biarritz

St Owen
St Owen (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 15:44
He never made an impact unfortunately.

Clegg's move to Quins didn't do much for him did it. He showed fantastic potential at Newcastle. I guess he needs regular game time and with Nick Evans that's not going to happen anytime soon.

You can't always get what you want, But if you try sometimes well you might find, You get what you need.

Richards/Jagger

saint_tim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 15:48
Isn't Botica English qualified?

“Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

Benjamin Franklin

Tetleys Block F E143

tubby shark
Saint Tub (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 15:51
I'm an old romantic Tim - I like to think people want to play for England - not England will have to do if I can't get in the All Blacks or play S14..

Agree St O - he was class at Newcastle - could be legs in the coming here rumour then ?

saint_tim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 15:55
I have a fair idea tha Botica was either born here or came here very young - based on how long I remember watching Frano play RL for.

Nationality is, as we know, difficult to define. To me Young Mr Botica is an Englishman. I do however agree with you when it comes to people like (I have forgotten his name but the Waps guy who was picked to play in the English centres but never should have been).

Benjamin Franklin

Tetleys Block F E143

St Owen
St Owen (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 16:02
Flutey.

What a farce.

You can't always get what you want, But if you try sometimes well you might find, You get what you need.

Richards/Jagger

saint_tim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 16:05
That was him - he should never ever have pulled on a white (or purple or whatever the RFU marketing chaps think will sell) England shirt.

Benjamin Franklin

Tetleys Block F E143

HonkyTonk
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 16:14
Clegg has had plenty of chance to develop under Evans before we signed Botica, unfortunately he seems to have gone stale/lost confidence.
I actually see this as a positive move and one that could benefit Clegg and Quins. If he gets his confidence and form back I am sure he will get a fair chance back at Quins, COS seems to rate him.

monte
Monte (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 16:29
Botica is English qualified he was brought up in England whilst his father played Rugby League here. His Grandparents are English and his Granny knits great hats in Quins colours!

St.Rich Joe's Dad
31 December, 2012 16:48
Obviously not seen him weekly but the times I saw him on the telly he was cocking up on an epic scale.

No alcohol for January. I'm a dryathlete in aid of cancer research.

Dryathlon

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 18:13
If the A (reserve) league was better and more rugby was played would they need to do this? What's better? Playing for the reserves or being loaned out to Div 1.

raedarius
raedarius (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 18:16
Botica spent something like 6mths old to 8 or 9 in the UK while his father played here. He holds a British passport. However, it's not clear if he's EQP or not, but most likely isn't because he wasn't born in the UK and hasn't spent the last three years in the UK.

The rules were written for a simpler age.

As to Clegg, he's a decent player, but being behind Evans hasn't brought him on. He has the core skills but not the flair (vision) which, I suspect, can't be taught.

With the A league finishing so early in the season, and Botica having a similar playing style to Evans, it places Clegg's style out of step with the way Quins go forward, given the three year contract Evans has just signed, so he needs as much game time as he can get. It's a sensible move.

MESSAGES->author
dragon27 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2012 18:18
I suppose the Championship is more competitive than the A League and Leeds have a real chance of reaching the play-offs and an outside chance for promotion.
This Lad has been a bit unlucky, he was understudy to Gopperth at Newcastle and Evans at Quins.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net