rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

saintsfella
Fly Half Rumours
saintsfella (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 14:15
Apologies if this is old news, but I have seen this quote on a number of oppo forums from The Times, although can't verify it as I don't have an online log in:

'These are extraordinary days in the transfer business, especially if you are a fly half. The figure being flashed at Ford by Sale Sharks is £600,000-plus a year. And that isnít even the jackpot. A number of clubs ó Bristol, Worcester Warriors and Northampton Saints ó have been chasing Aaron Cruden, the All Black No 10, and he is going for £100,000 more.

Northampton made a play for Paddy Jackson, the Ulster No 10, and failed. There are very public attempts being made to tempt Finn Russell out of Glasgow Warriors. This is very much a playersí market'

Interesting to see if we really are in the hunt for Cruden after we appear to have been loosely linked with him for a while. The Paddy Jackson one is a new one on me? I had heard Finn Russell to Bath, but would be very much happy with him at the Gardens.

Saintalex
Re: Fly Half Rumours
Saintalex (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 14:31
I have heard the Finn Russell one too, lets face it, if you are a fly half, out of contract, or wanting a move, they are all going to be linked with us

Flapjack
Flapjack (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 15:01
Fly halves?
Worry about front rowers.

SaintNice
SaintNice (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 15:53
If we can hang on to JJ and use our money to strengthen 13 and loose head - I'll be more than happy to stick with Myler for a couple more seasons.

Having said that - Fin Russel is well on his way to being one of the world's best 10s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2017 15:54 by SaintNice.

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 16:01
Quote:
SaintNice
If we can hang on to JJ and use our money to strengthen 13 and loose head - I'll be more than happy to stick with Myler for a couple more seasons.
Having said that - Fin Russel is well on his way to being one of the world's best 10s

thumbs down

ACTUAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES TRAINING
FOOTAGE FROM SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Rubadubdub; remember Seb Tubb?
10 January, 2017 18:04
Finn Russell & George Ford £500,000 pa; both lost for large swathes of the season with Scotland and England respectively... or...

Aaron Cruden for £100,000 more and available throughout the international season...

You can see where the values at...

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 18:48
Is the £500000 for Ford with or without the rfu handout?

snuffy
snuffy (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 19:34
10 January, 2017 15:53

I'm not sure we can stick with Myler another season. If I was spending our money, whilst I would like a prop and another back row player, I think this current pack can provide a platform.

I'm no expert, but you listen to pundits who are. Everyone of them say that the Myler does not challenge the game line enough or set alight the back line, his play is too lateral, and Is easy to defend as all he ever does is pass the ball down the line.

Who was the last great ten we had? Grayson? Drahm? We're long overdue for a world class 10 in his prime, unlike the Spencer signing... (Sm42)

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 20:05
I am not convinced that you need a world class 10 to win this league.

SaintED
SaintED (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 20:12
Agree with andysaint but also that you possibly need an upgrade or perhaps more accurately an option that can play a different way to the choice we have now.

Bristol have the right idea. A very good, proven, relatively senior player from the SH who will be available all year round. I doubt they had to break the bank to get him either.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 20:34
It's a shame we did not/could not get our hands on Alex Lozowski last year. I think he would have been ideal. Personally if we are going for a 10 I'd like to see someone with experience in this league or Champions Cup. I would be surprised if we lost both our current incumbents considering finding good quality 10s on budget is difficult. We also probably have too many other positions to fill that need more urgent attention. As such I cannot see us signing a 'world class' expensive 10.

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 21:01
What would be the point of signing a "world class fly-half"?

We have no three quarter plays worth the investment. Better coaching should be the first priority.

Whiston Saint
Whiston Saint (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 22:11
The last time we spent a high proportion of the salary cap on a world beating 10, we ended up in the Championship.

We do need a new 10 but we also need centres and a new full back. A number of our regular backs are coming to the end of their careers and it is a filly to allow them to go over the hill as incumbent first choice players.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 22:21
Lure Andy Goode out of retirement?

LaurieK
LaurieK (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 22:55
We need a new backs coach, we need a method of playing and we need some backs. What we also need to do is have a hard look and make a long term judgement on whether Harry, Tom, Rory and Sam, for example, can be genuine and long term answers to places in the back line. If they are then recruitment takes a particular path. For me we need to look at who plays at 9, 10, 12 and 15.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 01:56
Andysaint, maybe not 'world class' but certainly international class. The present no 10 has no pattern of play that creates try-scoring opportunities. We play Bristol, near the bottom of the league, and I can't recall anything like a try created by the backs, just an opportunist charge down. Ospreys don't have a particularly super star three-quarter line but manage to score at least 4 tries in almost every home game, why, they have two classy no 10s who know how to use their mates to open up defences.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 07:44
I think a 10 is crucial, look at Hodgsons game at the weekend, he attacked the line with a few runs, kicked varied kicks and passes with varied passes. Bath's defence was not sure what he was going to do and that is hard to defend, is our attack hard to defend?

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 08:51
It is a quandary.
Is it all Mylers fault
Is it the fault of the backs
Is it the coaches fault.
Probably a combination of all three.
But one thing is for certain we just do not have any form of attacking game capable of opening up defences. We rely on bludgeon and occasional individual brilliance.
When was the last time you saw Brooks or Lawes acting as a dummy runner between Myler and 12 to hold the defence we are just so one dimensional it is painful to watch.
The whole package needs fixing not just one part
Now where is that Attack coach - hopefully the job description includes
' Must have a large set of cojones'
Might well be needed.

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 09:23
Can I just second the Andy Goode idea - do Coronas and free meals at the chippy count towards salary cap?

MESSAGES->author
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 09:28
Love this debate.
You could have Dan Carter at fly half & he'd struggle to produce given the quality of ball the forwards create. Scrum is poor, lineout is steady & QRB from the breakdown is as rare as rocking horse poop.
It's like an F1 driver trying to work out an overtaking strategy when he's in the pits having his nose replaced cos he's pinged it trying to over take someone on a bend.

https://i.imgur.com/pxOpkB0.gif

nottsaint
nottsaint (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 09:39
Last week we saw a glimmer (5/10 mins maybe) of what we can do when we have players carrying well, and running directly...

Upto now, we have been, 75% shipping it down the line, not worrying the defence, until there is no room to do anything, and expecting miracles
25% individual runners, that are really obvious to the defence, as they are the only one moving, getting well defended, and as they were the only one running getting isolated and turned over (or spilling the ball), or at least generting slow ball.

We clearly need to update/change our playing style, the million $ question is, its it the coaches that cant do it, or the players who cant.... or a bit of both....

We need groups of players running directly, giving defences things to think about, and the 9/10 axis picking the best option given how the defence react to the multiple threats. Then we need "the next" group of players falling in behind, on the shoulder so to speak to take the offload and go again, or secure the ball.

I dont think we will fix our problems with a new 10.

(all IMHO of course, im sure its not that simple, otherwise JM&Co would be doing it right...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 09:40 by nottsaint.

SaintNice
SaintNice (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 09:47
Quote:
Robby Richmond
Love this debate.
You could have Dan Carter at fly half & he'd struggle to produce given the quality of ball the forwards create. Scrum is poor, lineout is steady & QRB from the breakdown is as rare as rocking horse poop.
It's like an F1 driver trying to work out an overtaking strategy when he's in the pits having his nose replaced cos he's pinged it trying to over take someone on a bend.

I agree with this. Myler can only play the ball he'a given. The forwards need to improve their breakdown play. Groom has sped things up considerably. did anyone see Myler reading Dickson the riot act when he delayed and delayed the ball in the ruck when we had a penalty advantage and space to try something? He wants quick ball to be creative with.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 10:19
Quote:
SaintNice
Quote:
Robby Richmond
Love this debate.

I agree with this. Myler can only play the ball he'a given. The forwards need to improve their breakdown play. Groom has sped things up considerably. did anyone see Myler reading Dickson the riot act when he delayed and delayed the ball in the ruck when we had a penalty advantage and space to try something? He wants quick ball to be creative with.

Yep, Myler looked rather annoyed but then i would Dickson is not what he used to be by any means.

Chris_the_Saint
Chris G (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 10:39
I thought it was common knowledge that father and son Ford were joining us in the summer?

Oh and that it will be easy to get served in the bars next season...

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 11:18
As Williams has signed from tiggers to glaws it look like they have someone big lines up? One less for is if indeed we are looking for a ten

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

[url=https:[www.justgiving.com], Please sponsor me here[/url]

Saintalex
Saintalex (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 11:24
Really????

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 11:45
Yes. BBC sports can not do link thing on phone

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

[url=https:[www.justgiving.com], Please sponsor me here[/url]

Groundhog7
Groundhog7 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 11:52
Yep, Cockers out of the way and Williams moving on would seem to clear the path for Ford to return there.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 12:41
Apparantly the times has us linked with cruden, again... but Worcester and Bristol too.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 12:56
The fact that the forwards are not perfect is not a reason to accept sub optimal performance from the backs.
For the last few games I have watched very carefully where Myler lines up, and nine times out of ten he is about five yards further back than the opposition. He never attacks and that is nothing to do with fast ball from the forwards, or anything other than his mind set or philosophy. So the following words come to my mind to characterise his play, reliable, predictable, consistent, conservative. Stephen takes his role very seriously and I think at times allows it to become too heavy. Its what Jim wants obviously, but I think its unbalanced and will not win competitions without a much stronger pack, particularly front row, and even then it would be questionable. More to the point it blocks out one of our marquee signings which is tragic.
Fortunately I see similar analysis on the tv and in the press, unlike others I do acknowledge that ex internationals who live and breath rugby do occasionally get it right.
Im still hoping JJ will be allowed to do what he was signed for-play at 10 with Harry or Luther outside of him.
If we sign a new 10 I would prefer it to not be a £600k signing, too unbalanced and frequently doesn't work particularly if the person is an international. Go for a second tier S Hemisphere guy who can still kick butt. In the next season I would expect harry to take over kicking duties hopefully without huge negative sighs from the crowd when he misses. Stephen would be great coming on after 60 minutes when we are ahead. The game has moved on we need to as well.

MESSAGES->author
11 January, 2017 15:26
Honest question.
In the 9 years since Jim has been in charge can anyone having this many rumours flying about in the space of 10 days into the new year?

Also, remember when we used to re-sign players before Xmas?
I miss the old days
I miss Thursdays announcements.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 16:21
I can't remember so many tbh Robby. Jim and Dorian have never been forthcoming though, they don't embrace the opportunity to communicate their thoughts which I think is a pity.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 16:52
On the other hand ch saint can you blame them ? In these days of social media etc every word they utter may be taken down in writing and thrown back at them as "evidence" at a later date. Bit like politicians with their public utterances - never say anything which isn't vague lest it come back to bite you on the proverbial.

Saintsteward
Saintsteward (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 19:01
Quote:
Chris Hoddle
As Williams has signed from tiggers to glaws it look like they have someone big lines up? One less for is if indeed we are looking for a ten
a
Don't know if Saints got involved, but I think Glaws have a good signing there.

MESSAGES->author
11 January, 2017 20:46
Quote:
ch saint
I can't remember so many tbh Robby. Jim and Dorian have never been forthcoming though, they don't embrace the opportunity to communicate their thoughts which I think is a pity.

I was kinda hoping we might hear something about that new coach tomorrow CH, but that's typically wishful thinking

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 22:12
Thats one tricky appointment Robby. Not entirely sure how the whole forwards coach, defence coach and attack coach works, I could see one saying one thing and another completely the opposite. Then there's the fact that Jim and Dorian have worked together for at least 12 years. Could be a poison chalice that job.

MESSAGES->author
Howlin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 23:33
So now Jim gets the blame for all the idiots on the internet making up rumours.

I heard it was going to snow in Northampton tomorrow . I think its Mallinders fault for not buying a snow plow. When it doesn't snow I'll keep quiet until something else gets mentioned that I can moan about.

It does get a little bit silly to the casual observer when you have to make things up to complain about.

Saint 'til I die

MESSAGES->author
StBleach (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 05:50
I'm not one for living in the past but, despite being more of a lurker these days I am surprised that this site no longer assigns A number to these rumours. BAck in the day, all rumours were assigned a RUMOUR NUMBER making it easier for the casual reader to follow, I'm struggling to keep up with the current rumours. Also, it's been a very long time since I ventured into the St James area and wonder if the Weedon Road Chippy still exists? THe chippy was always confirmation of speculation. You can not roll the clock back but it would really help at the moment.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 09:40
It's quite simple rob - everyone is going from the waterboys upwards and come September we will have a completely new squad, coaching team and exec board!

Dick Dastardly
Thrupp artist (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 09:51
Last time I was in the chippy there was no one else at all - perhaps this explains everything.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 12:32
Myler was good enough to reach 2 consecutive finals and win one.

Myler was good enough when Saints topped the points and scored 70+ tries.

Ergo, I propose Myler is not the issue? He's also available all year which is a massive plus.

If Myler was 28, great - but he is turning 33 in the summer and personally I think that means Saints DO need to be planning to start easing him into that Hodgson/Goode role of ultra reliable always available 2nd choice.

IF JJ could get himself up to being an 80% goal kicker and IF we could keep him OR if Malinder was a nailed on 1st choice in another position so he could kick then I'd say we didn't need to sign anybody at 10.

IMO Malinder himself is never going to be a top class senior fly half unfortunately - at 6 foot 5 he is too easily caught upright or flat footed in defense in that channel. If he was playing against a side with a short sniping 9 like Danny Care or Groom and an attacking 10 like Cipriani he'd be exposed.

I think Saints are playing him (and JJ for that matter) at 12 mainly because he has good hands and creative distribution whereas none of our dedicated centres do on current form (maybe Hutchinson).

Is 12 really the right position for Malinder long term if 10 isn't? Personally I think Saints would be missing a trick not to develop him more towards being the 15 that replaces Foden. Massive boot, solid catching, runs the ball and has already covered 15 and looked good doing it.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 13:01
i see HM and Wilson as very similar players, so 15 is where i would look to develop HM's skills.

If he can sort the tackling out, then he is a good solid option due to his ability to counter, kick for distance and distribute to the wingers, etc.

He would also provide us with an alternative kicking option, a la Halfpenny, hence offering us a different style of 10.

SaintNice
SaintNice (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 13:10
Agree - develop Harry at 15 and he will be a valuable commodity. And if possible KEEP JJ!

Ow3n
Ow3n (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 17:35
Quote:
Robby Richmond
I was kinda hoping we might hear something about that new coach tomorrow CH, but that's typically wishful thinking

I see RugbyInsideLine is tweeting about some big news in the next few days, or weeks, maybe...

Talk about covering your bases.

MESSAGES->author
Pyffy (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 18:59
Quote:
Ow3n
Quote:
Robby Richmond

I see RugbyInsideLine is tweeting about some big news in the next few days, or weeks, maybe...

Talk about covering your bases.

Maybe Aaron Cruden is going to play flyhalf and coach our attack....double whammy *

Proud member of the Saints Season Ticket Holder Happy Clapper Club since 2006.(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)

The Bard
The Bard (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 19:57
The best fly-half I've seen in recent weeks has been Joel Hodgson. Wasn't he with you for a couple of years?

SaintNice
SaintNice (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 20:52
Quote:
The Bard
The best fly-half I've seen in recent weeks has been Joel Hodgson. Wasn't he with you for a couple of years?

He was. We regarded him as a Scrum Half and he barely got a look in. He looked great in Falcons last match and glad to see he's doing well there.

The Bard
The Bard (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 22:19
He was excellent against us on xmas eve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net