rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)

Paul Hill
11 January, 2017 12:24
I read somewhere on Twitter yesterday that Paul Hill is rumoured to be leaving and Sale a likely destination. Ethan and Paul leaving would be a blow given age and potential.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)

Re: Paul Hill
11 January, 2017 12:26
But there are no problems with Dorian remember. Its all in our heads

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 12:40
I would suggest both if true is due to lack of game time rather than any perceived problem with the coaches. Paul Hill for one needs to play if he is to continue with any England aspirations. If the other way round suspect the rumours would be about Brookes leaving

Saintalex
Saintalex (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 12:42
Well he aint played this season and now lost his England place... This is becoming an absolute joke...

What i have heard

E Waller going
D Hartley Going
P Hill Going
C Clark Going

3 England international players there and a local boy all wanting to go

I will be very disappointed in CC if he goes, especially how we stood by him when he got banned and when he had a year out injured

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 12:43 by Saintalex.

Saint at Uni
Saint at Uni (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 12:47
Hill signed a new contract in the summer, and considering how well he did last season I'd be very surprised if it was only for one year! Obviously he could be bought out of it, but with them supposedly chucking money at Ford it seems unlikely. Sadly I think Ethan is much more likely to go, but I hope they both stay.

Lamont4Saints

11 January, 2017 12:57
Quote:
Walks11
I would suggest both if true is due to lack of game time rather than any perceived problem with the coaches. Paul Hill for one needs to play if he is to continue with any England aspirations. If the other way round suspect the rumours would be about Brookes leaving

Surely the forwards coach would dictate game time?

SaintNice
SaintNice (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 13:05
Would be very disappointed if we lost Hill. However - they could also do us a part exchange and give us back the mighty Mooj.

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 13:07
If we believed everything we read on twitter.......!

Saintalex
Saintalex (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 13:09
I think it was a better deal, not necessarily a longer deal. i suppose we will see soon enough

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 13:59
[m.bbc.co.uk]

Wood Harrison Hill Nutley Parkins and Gibson all signed new contracts July 2016.

MESSAGES->author
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 14:12
Quote:
Saint at Uni
Hill signed a new contract in the summer, and considering how well he did last season I'd be very surprised if it was only for one year! Obviously he could be bought out of it, but with them supposedly chucking money at Ford it seems unlikely. Sadly I think Ethan is much more likely to go, but I hope they both stay.

This. Means. Absolutely. Nothing.

Ethan being allowed to leave is an omnishambles of a colossal proportions.
Look, I've made it clear in the past, I'm a signed member of the Waller Bros fan club & yet I know that players will come and go.

However,
Alex has made 200 plus appearances for the Saints. Is a machine. Gives it everything.
Ethan has made less than 100, is now 24 and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree when it comes to attitude and performance like his big bro.

So why go?

He's one of our own. He's well liked and respected around the club. He's very talented. He's also well regarded around the AP. He's also very coachable with huge room for growth, expansion and improvement. He's also most likely fed up of being on the tackle bags. He's also not kicking on. He also knows this it seems. He's also not daft.

Now take all that, change the name to Paul and take away the pangs of loyalty.

Would it surprise any of you to know that these 2 lads featured 1 and 2 on the list of props wanted by Sale?

If it does, it shouldn't.

Sent from the toilet

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 14:47
Well written comments again Robby, however for me, we never properly replaced Corbs and whilst I have a lot of time for the Wallers that is an area I think we could strengthen. If we do then you are going to upset one Waller at least, sometimes there is not room for all. Re: Hill for me he his a must for the club to hang on. To let him go would be bonkers as is the lack of starts.

Saintalex
Saintalex (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 15:01
Both of which will probably go, be first choice, will probably regain England spot and E Waller get the recognition he deserves

If I was Waller i would be peeved that a Fijian has come in ahead of me that quite frankly I dont get why he was signed...

He isnt better than the other 2 and is 3rd choice at best

Parkins, is he ever going to be good enough for the first team, has been at the club along while now and never seems to be in the squad ever

Ow3n
Ow3n (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 15:08
I understand E.Waller is a done deal out. Massive shame.

Its concerning that (if I'm correct) we haven't made any re-signings as yet this winter. Its the kind of good news you'd expect the club to be putting out right about now. We normally do.

Tactical, lazy, or symptomatic or the issues at the club......

11 January, 2017 15:11
Quote:
Ow3n
I understand E.Waller is a done deal out. Massive shame.
Its concerning that (if I'm correct) we haven't made any re-signings as yet this winter. Its the kind of good news you'd expect the club to be putting out right about now. We normally do.

Tactical, lazy, or symptomatic or the issues at the club......
TBH if you were going to be replacing the coaches would you be letting them sign/re-sign players and tieing you up for the next 2 years

MESSAGES->author
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 15:22
Quote:
andysaint
Well written comments again Robby, however for me, we never properly replaced Corbs and whilst I have a lot of time for the Wallers that is an area I think we could strengthen. If we do then you are going to upset one Waller at least, sometimes there is not room for all. Re: Hill for me he his a must for the club to hang on. To let him go would be bonkers as is the lack of starts.

How would we know if it's not Ethan or Campese? No one else has even had a look at the shirt. We've got more than enough talented front rowers to rotate and we don't.
Can you hear the dinosaur roar?

Sent from the toilet

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 15:30
We simply don't know the machinations that may or may not go on behind the scenes. If you are not getting a regular place and another club makes you a bigger salary offer your first reaction might be to go to your DOR and say "Look Boss, I know I've got a couple of years left on my contract but so and so is offering me a much better deal as well as "guaranteed" playing time - what are you going to do about it ?" Saints have to decide whether they wish/are able to match the money offer - even if they do they still can't "guarantee" the playing time so they are caught between a rock and a hard place. Of course they could refuse to release the player but that does neither party any good in the long run.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 16:53 by tedge.

Lamont4Saints

11 January, 2017 15:48
We can guarantee one think though. its that Brookes and A Waller will be played into the ground and Hill and Ethan will probably leave due to lack of game time.

What is happening to be beloved club.

Shire
Shire (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 15:54
Might be heresy but another reason for lack of rotation could be the belief that the 2nd string are just that.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 16:17
And that the results are so bad that the coaches room for manoeuvre has been removed and they become desperate.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 18:56
We are lucky to have players of the quality of Brookes and Hill. Arguably our strongest position for starter and back-up.

However, for me, Hill is the one to back over Brookes if we are at risk of losing Hill.

It reminds me of George Ford at Tigers with Flood in poll position. I remember saying at the time I'd have backed Ford even if that meant Flood chose to leave.

Like Ford, Hill is a player to build a team around for 10 years. The most capped Under 20 international ever and capped by England when only 20.

Brookes may be ahead now but Hill will be the better play in 2-3 years and he will only get better and better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 19:02 by SaintMaul.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 19:23
To me Brooks is a more old fashioned prop likely to appeal to Dorian whilst Paul Hill has a better all round game that needs nurturing with more game time than he gets at the moment. Losing Ethan would be a great shame but the lack of rotation between the two brothers has forced this probable outcome and again this has to be down to the forwards coach.

Saints do have a habit of not saying too much about new signings or indeed departures until the deals have been done rather than whilst negotiations are still on going.

I do not keep much of a track upon durations of existing contracts but I could well imagine some players biding their time until they see how the second half of the season pans out and have some firm indication of the coaching set-up for 17-18. Perhaps time to get the matter of a new backs coach sorted out.

I know a lot of seson ticket holders who say they will not be renewing straight away awaiting 'developments'....are you listening in the board room ?

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 20:30
They don't say much about signings when deals have been done!

Padmon
Padmon (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 21:51
Paul would be a massive loss. Very highly rated by players and coaches across the board. Without evidence that Kieran is a better scrummager, I'd start Paul above him as his all round game is markedly better in my view. Certainly has a stickier pair of hands, bigger engine and makes his tackles.

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 22:52
Quote:
Padmon
Paul would be a massive loss. Very highly rated by players and coaches across the board. Without evidence that Kieran is a better scrummager, I'd start Paul above him as his all round game is markedly better in my view. Certainly has a stickier pair of hands, bigger engine and makes his tackles.

not just the tackling, but the turnovers too - wonderful strength and agility to steal ball. reminiscent of Gethin Jenks to me.
was really impressed when we got Paul to come here, and now equally unimpressed if he's been allowed to leave.

SaintED
SaintED (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 00:10
Are we absolutely, categorically, 100% sure that West isn't a Tigs double-agent?*

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 08:47
West like Cockerill will always be a Leicester man at heart no matter who pays his salary ! It won't happen but if Dorian was offered DOR at Welford Road he would be off like the proverbial.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 08:54 by Mobbs.

MESSAGES->author
StBleach (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 09:39
I was going to post exactly the same message... West had one mission and that was to derail the Tigers East Midlands rivals, he has succeeded and so his mission is over. He may now return whilst the saints rebuild.. Is that chap Dusty Hare still associated with the saints? Another undercover agent..

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 09:40
I see this rumour as Robby states about Dylan

If the club has any ambition then Hlll is the type of player the club needs to keep, let him go and what does it say?

Decent tight heads are rare and cost a fortune... we are lucky to have two

Hill is the youngster who has proved himself at international level and imho can only get better as he gains experience

Yes I can see him being approached by other clubs and he may want more game time, but IF the rumour is true the club needs to act to keep him

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 09:52
There are a number of young coaches out there - Hepher, Hunter etc - who would jump at the opportunity to be DOR at a significant club but would not want to make a sideways move as simply one of the coaching team. If Jim and Dorian are cemented into contracts then Rugby being a small world, would a really good backs coach want to come bearing in mind the fortunes of Alex King who perhaps came with a slightly exaggerated CV but whom soon found alternative employment when dismissed by the Saints...yeah, yeah, I know, 'mutual consent' !
Assuming that there is to be no revolution at the Gardens then the new incumbent is going to have to be a pretty forceful personality to say the least.

All this gumph must hinder new signings and the extension of contracts to some degree.

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 10:11
This place feels to me like Brexit and the Trump election

If you keep saying bad things will happen, eventually something will justify your viewpoint or people will just start believing it anyway despite pretty much no evidence to the contrary

Players come and go - why is an Ethan rumor causing such angst let alone proof of rifts or whatever else people are desperate to "prop"agate???

Apologies to any I've missed but our 10 year turnover in props looks something like..

Robbie Morris
Jon Golding
Luke Harbut
Brett Sturgess
Russ Kempson
Matt Grove
Colin Noon
Chris Budgen
Simon Emms
Charlie Beech
Tom Laws
Ben Broster
Santiago Bonorino
Euan Murray
Barry Stewart
Tom Smith
Regardt Dreyer
Brian Mujati
Soane Tongahuia
Paul Doran Jones
Danny Herriot
Alex Corbisiero
salesi Ma'Afu
Tom Mercey
Danny H-A

The consistent theme is West - whatever you might think - has constantly given us a great front row

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 10:18
Quote:
St tub
This place feels to me like Brexit and the Trump election
If you keep saying bad things will happen, eventually something will justify your viewpoint or people will just start believing it anyway despite pretty much no evidence to the contrary

Players come and go - why is an Ethan rumor causing such angst let alone proof of rifts or whatever else people are desperate to "prop"agate???

Apologies to any I've missed but our 10 year turnover in props looks something like..

Robbie Morris
Jon Golding
Luke Harbut
Brett Sturgess
Russ Kempson
Matt Grove
Colin Noon
Chris Budgen
Simon Emms
Charlie Beech
Tom Laws
Ben Broster
Santiago Bonorino
Euan Murray
Barry Stewart
Tom Smith
Regardt Dreyer
Brian Mujati
Soane Tongahuia
Paul Doran Jones
Danny Herriot
Alex Corbisiero
salesi Ma'Afu
Tom Mercey
Danny H-A

The consistent theme is West - whatever you might think - has constantly given us a great front row

Good post and point made

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 11:37
+1 St Tub

Hill is indeed a fantastic player who acts as an "extra back row" in the modern style.

However, hes only 21 & with a relatively lightweight pack, Brookes is a better anchor for the scrum. Against big packs with a good loose head Hill has looked a little out of his depth when asked to start.

If Hill was a couple of years older and been here earlier, he'd have been starting some games in a front 5 that included Corbs, Hartley & Samu and that might have been a different prospect, but at present I think the selection of Brookes as first choice is right, but I'd like to see them swapped earlier sometimes if Saints scrum looks solid to give Hill more development and game time and for him to be starting in the European games since we're doomed there anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Northampton Saints Poll

Is Hartley proving a good captain for England?

See results > Submit >>