rugbyunion
Latest News:

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)

Tactics and selections for Saturday
11 January, 2017 18:48
So we are out of Europe. So what are our goals for Saturday?

Apart from avoiding a humiliation, I'd suggest Saturday is a fantastic opportunity to try a few things against quality opposition without the usual pressures.

Give some youngsters like Ludlum and Hill some good experience.

But most importantly try things to get our attack working. No pressure as it doesn't matter if they backfire.

I'd like to see JJ at fly half and Harry at inside centre with clear instructions to give it a go and not kick ball away in the opposition half like we did too many times against Bristol. If our defence isn't so good so be it. Defence is easier to achieve than attack. I'd also love to see the back 3 have a go at counter-attacking. Pick Estelles and get him running at speed off Foden and vice versa.

What are the right tactics and selections for Saturday?

John Rickerd
John Rickerd (IP Logged)

Re: Tactics and selections for Saturday
11 January, 2017 19:31
Tactics are what you say SaintMaul, and I would like to see:

Foden
Pisi K
Hutchinson
Mallinder
Estelles
Hanrahan
Groom
Waller E
Clare
Hill
Ratuniyarawa
Day (capt)
Nutley
Harrison
Gibson

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 20:01
Winning is a good habit to get into......I suspect that we will put out a strong if not perhaps the strongest available side on saturday if for no other than the authorities will be watching !

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 20:51
Play a Weakened team away from home is how it usually goes isn't it. We pick strong when at FG

Padmon
Padmon (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 21:37
I would like to see Estelles get a run out at 13. I've been really impressed with his ability to go forwards and/or offload when given no space by the centres. It would be good to see him with more time and options. Apparently centre is his chosen position.

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 22:15
I would hope we could try a few new moves and experiments. That being said there would be no point trying those with a team that will not be playing together come the premiership games.

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

[url=https:[www.justgiving.com], Please sponsor me here[/url]

MESSAGES->author
Pyffy (IP Logged)

11 January, 2017 22:33
As long as all the squad are registered for Europe, I guess they will rest those that are carrying knocks and give one or two fringe players a run out. However because we are at home and have a very fragile winning streak to keep alive I would hope we will put out a stronger team than the one we sent to Dublin.

What ever team they pick, will still get my vocal support from the Terrace on Saturday as any other perceived crisis occurring at the club are out of their control and can wait until after no side.

Proud member of the Saints Season Ticket Holder Happy Clapper Club since 2006.(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)

JohnI
JohnI (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 00:41
Play all the England players for the next two weeks and rest their reliefs in the team so that the LV cup then gives us a platform to push onto the league games. If the England players go to the camp overused shame, England's loss not ours.

As for the rest of the team, having paid for a trip to Dublin and got screwed with the team selection there and consequently paid out good money to follow a team the JM threw the towel in with, I'd put the ones out who won't feature as starters in the league again in a couple of weeks and rest the first 15 for that.

Still angry about being let down in Dublin by the management? Yep you bet.

League has to be our goal and selection for next to matches centred around protecting that.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 08:50
Quote:
Mobbs
Winning is a good habit to get into......I suspect that we will put out a strong if not perhaps the strongest available side on saturday if for no other than the authorities will be watching !

And then you look at the BBC story about Worcester and the Challenge Cup - not only mentioning the weakened sides they've openly been putting out, they've not even been putting out their main coaches. Carl Hogg will apparently be "more involved" this week!
[www.bbc.co.uk]

There ain't no Sanity Clause

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 12:24
Tactics are simple:
1. Do the basics well
2. Support in numbers
3. Don't run across the pitch
4. Don't kick the ball unless it's necessary
5. Do the basics well, and repeat the other 4!

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 13:14
Quote:
TringSaint
Tactics are simple:
1. Do the basics well
2. Support in numbers
3. Don't run across the pitch
4. Don't kick the ball unless it's necessary
5. Do the basics well, and repeat the other 4!

We've been trying for 2 years and not succeeded yet.

Gwendoline
Gwendoline (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 15:07
Don't play anyone who will be available for our next Premiership games. We want them uninjured and rested.

Play Bernie at centre that will confuse the French.

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)

12 January, 2017 22:49
You've just described schoolboy rugby Tring??

In reality

Don't support in numbers or over commit to breakdowns
Do drift across the pitch, the touch line is your friend - don't fly out of the line
Don't play in the wrong places - make sure you get rid of the ball and trust in the defensive line to play in the right areas
Trust in our set piece and don't be ashamed by it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Northampton Saints Poll

Is Hartley proving a good captain for England?

See results > Submit >>