Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Saint Stokey
Piers Francis
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:06
It's official!
the Offy

I'm pretty sure this was a RugbyInsideLine rumour. I hope that there will be a few apologies going round

SaintNice
Re: Piers Francis
SaintNice (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:11
Looks like a decent signing to me but time will tell. Let's hope it pans out for him better than it did for JJ.

charlieemeriau
charlieemeriau (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:15
a player to replace Ethan Waller and Paul hill if he goes, plus a number 10 and we are done?
quite excited to see how the new boys will fit in for next season, I guess Horne, Francis and Reinach have been brought in to start and Eadie pushing the backrowers...

MESSAGES->author
higgy365 (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:18
I think you're right about RiL, Stokey, but doubt there'll be any apologies. Maybe less haste to rubbish their every word next time?

Meanwhile back on topic, Francis sounds a decent signing and I'm happier with this than say the silly money being touted for Madigan.

Look forward to seeing how he goes

MESSAGES->author
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:19
Recommended by Saintsman Tom in November if I recall correctly.
RIP Saintsman Tom's account, I imagine he's reading this in purgatory somewhere.

Sent from the toilet

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:25
so this looks like the fly half search is over.

So who's next? A massive LH and a lock? Perhaps Francis could possibly convince a couple of people to come over with him?

Chris Wearmouth
Chris Wearmouth (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:30
Quote:
charlieemeriau
a player to replace Ethan Waller and Paul hill if he goes, plus a number 10 and we are done?
quite excited to see how the new boys will fit in for next season, I guess Horne, Francis and Reinach have been brought in to start and Eadie pushing the backrowers...

a) Paul Hill signed a new contract last summer so isn't going anywhere
b) Jamal Ford-Robinson is coming in as a prop
c) Piers Francis plays 10. So does Stephen Myler. And Harry Mallinder won an U20 World Championship title playing 10.

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:30
Quote:
charlieemeriau

If I recall Chris from Saints, made a point of posting that Hill had resigned his contract end last season and wasnt going anywhere

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:31
LOL thanks Chris!!!

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:33
on the subject of a new lock, how far are Ribbans or Onojaife away from starting?

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:41
Quote:
Robby Richmond
RIP Saintsman Tom's account, I imagine he's reading this in purgatory somewhere.

Have Saintsman Tom and RIL ever been seen in the same room? could one be the other.. Will RIL reveal he is actually Saintsman Tom and claim the breaking news

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:46
They aren't the same person

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:46
Quote:
Robby Richmond

Is anybody there
Can you hear us Tom
Are you there
Give us a sign

RugbyInsideLine
RugbyInsideLine (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:50
Get your tin hats on!

It was indeed one of our rumours Twitter Rumourand one that we said was a done deal, so 3/3 on that count.

May have something new in the next few days...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/03/2017 13:51 by RugbyInsideLine.

charlieemeriau
charlieemeriau (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:50
Quote:
Chris Wearmouth
Quote:
charlieemeriau

c) Piers Francis plays 10. So does Stephen Myler. And Harry Mallinder won an U20 World Championship title playing 10.

Glad if we keep Paul Hill, I had read somewhere on here that he wanted out.... and take your point on 10 if Piers Francis can play at 10, and mallinder then may be that is enough coverage.

on Ford-Robinson the few times have seen him play I thought he looked good, but he has started only 2 of the 11 games he has played in the premiership this season for the bottom team. IMO we are light in the front row would like to see a proven premiership player or international challenging Alex W.

MESSAGES->author
20 March, 2017 13:58
Quote:
RugbyInsideLine
Get your tin hats on!
It was indeed one of our rumours Twitter Rumourand one that we said was a done deal, so 3/3 on that count.

May have something new in the next few days...

Saintsman Tom still talking to you then is he?

Sent from the toilet

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:59
so the backline next season is looking like:

15. Foden/ Tuala
14. Foden/ Horne/ Pisi
13. Horne/ Burrell/ Tuitavake/ Stephenson
12. Mallinder, Francis/ Hutchinson
11. North/ Collins/ Elliot
10. Myler/ Francis
9. Reinach/ Groom

although signed as a centre apparently, I have a feeling that we may see Horne on the wing more than centre. If you look at the recent Waratahs games, he's pretty nailed on as a wing. So is that Horne at 14 and North at 11? Or is this the beginning of the end of North? I hope not.

I guess this all depends upon how Stephenson comes on, if Luther can get back to his International levels, or who else is available.

Saintalex
Saintalex (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 14:08
Fantastic signing, he isn't a 10 IMHO, a fantastic 12 though, him and Horne in midfield that's looks a very good partnership to me, although your right Horne may play on the wing, we have a very exciting back line starting to look now. I can't see Burrell getting on it to be honest. Will be 3rd choice 12 and 2nd choice 13

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 14:09
im pretty sure tom is still quite active!

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 14:19
Is GP leaving then ?

RugbyInsideLine
RugbyInsideLine (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 14:21
Quote:
St tub
Is GP leaving then ?

Japan

saintsfella
saintsfella (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 14:22
Even if he's not good enough to oust Stevie, he could be the perfect 'No.22' on the bench to cover 10 & 12. Good signing in my opinion (assuming we didn't shell out loads for him)

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 14:28
Francis started at 10 for the Blues against the Crusaders this weekend.

Saint Sergei
Saint Sergei (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 14:34
Robby, I am not sure what your issue with RIL is (it may be there is some "history" I don't know about) however the more you comment on him the pettier you seem. I am not seeking to get into an argument with you or criticise you but thought I should say what it looks like from "lurker" / occasional poster.

Chris Wearmouth
Chris Wearmouth (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 15:00
Quote:
charlieemeriau
IMO we are light in the front row would like to see a proven premiership player or international challenging Alex W.

Campese Ma'afu - he's started the odd international game

HerbieSaint
HerbieSaint (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 15:10
Fair play to RIL - got this one bang on and we definitely heard it there first.

MESSAGES->author
Pyffy (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 15:23
Saintsman Tom? you don't need to be a ********** out his whereabouts(Sm157)

As to Piers Francis, welcome aboard sir and I hope you can show the sort of form that has you starting for the Blues (Sm60)

Proud member of the Saints Season Ticket Holder Happy Clapper Club since 2006.(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/03/2017 16:07 by Saint Ted.

Saint Jericho
Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 15:59
[quote Pyffy]Saintsman Tom? you don't need to be a *********** out his whereabouts(Sm157)

Well spotted Pyffy 👀

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/03/2017 16:08 by Saint Ted.

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 16:12
Chaps, I've edited your posts because if Tom wants to reveal his new username, that's up to him.

Some people will get hung up on who he is rather than the content of his posts (see also how people react to Eif at times), he has contributed to some very good rugby debate and I don't want that ruined, hope that makes sense.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 16:33
He started for the Blues at 10. Thats good enough for me.
Welcome Piers good luck, it's not an easy position.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 16:54
Campese Ma'afu eh? I remember him. Didn't he play the odd game for Saints?*

MESSAGES->author
20 March, 2017 17:03
Quote:
Saint Sergei
Robby, I am not sure what your issue with RIL is (it may be there is some "history" I don't know about) however the more you comment on him the pettier you seem. I am not seeking to get into an argument with you or criticise you but thought I should say what it looks like from "lurker" / occasional poster.

Ok, as a lurker, go around the other Rugbynetwork boards and look at the distain with which RIL is tret with. Also note, he's bringing other Saints fans into disrepute with his embarrassing barefaced lies about Sam Jones or Tom Youngs. I'd rather we werent tarred with that brush if its all the same to you.

Sent from the toilet

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 17:19
I'm getting bored of this beef you have with RIL.

We're now getting another thread derailed by it.

In fairness to RIL he's put his hand up and said he was wrong on a couple of occasions. It should be left at that, especially as far as this board is concerned, as said on day one, leave the past where it is, no point in bringing up old arguments.

I'm sure nobody's tarring the whole saints community with the same brush because one of our fans has made a couple of posts on Twitter which turned out to be incorrect.

This thread should be about welcoming a new player to the club, not taking the opportunity to take a pop at other posters.

If you want to write an article on what you believe to be the downsides of people like RIL and social media and the effects on players, please do so and we can debate it on that thread.

MESSAGES->author
Pyffy (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 17:41
Quote:
Saint Ted
Chaps, I've edited your posts because if Tom wants to reveal his new username, that's up to him.
Some people will get hung up on who he is rather than the content of his posts (see also how people react to Eif at times), he has contributed to some very good rugby debate and I don't want that ruined, hope that makes sense.

No worries Ted. Apologies to Tom if I let the cat out of the bag.

Proud member of the Saints Season Ticket Holder Happy Clapper Club since 2006.(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)

MESSAGES->author
Pyffy (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 17:44
Quote:
smitferbrainz
Campese Ma'afu eh? I remember him. Didn't he play the odd game for Saints?*
until he was injured he did and thankfully he made an appearance for us at Goldington Road on Fiday night. Hopefully more to come as he returns to match fitness.

SaintED
SaintED (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 18:43
Quote:
Saint Stokey
so the backline next season is looking like:
15. Foden/ Tuala
14. Foden/ Horne/ Pisi
13. Horne/ Burrell/ Tuitavake/ Stephenson
12. Mallinder, Francis/ Hutchinson
11. North/ Collins/ Elliot
10. Myler/ Francis
9. Reinach/ Groom

Is Estelles also in there somewhere? Really hope we keep him.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 18:50
Quote:
Chris Wearmouth
Quote:
charlieemeriau

Lol Chris grinning smiley

Saint Sergei
Saint Sergei (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 18:52
Robby, my point was your views on RIL are well known - if people want to find them out they don't have to look far. People know what he is and are capable of making their own minds up about whether they give any credence to what he says. Repeatedly making snarky comments about him starts to reflects more on you than him.

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 19:01
The points been made, please leave it and get back to the rugby discussion

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 20:27
Welcome Piers.

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 21:36
Potentially exciting back line. Let's hope it clicks.

MESSAGES->author
20 March, 2017 22:25
Quote:
Saint Sergei
Robby, my point was your views on RIL are well known - if people want to find them out they don't have to look far. People know what he is and are capable of making their own minds up about whether they give any credence to what he says. Repeatedly making snarky comments about him starts to reflects more on you than him.

Fair enough Sergei, but be sure to have a moan at Howlin too. I did, afterall, learn from the best.*

Sent from the toilet

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 02:00
A further demonstration of the failure of the Saints academy, we are back to the Wayne Smith scenario as I recall he closed it down because it was so ineffective.

Lots of backs but where is the no 7 in all this, I prefer 7s playing at 6 rather than the Saints policy of playing 6s at 7.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 07:15
His playing record makes for interesting reading.

He will be 27 in June.

He has played 15 times for Edinburgh 2012-14 before being released. 7 times for Doncaster and 15 games for Auckland Blues.

Other posters who watch Super Rugby clearly rate him so it will be fascinating to see who Jim selects given Luther is an England international and Harry captained the England Under 20's.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 07:36
Welcome piers. Lots of chat of can he play 10 or not. I've never seen him play but if he can get in the Auckland blues back line I'm sure he can aid saints backline somewhere

Welsh Saint in NZ
Welsh Saint in NZ (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 10:42
video: [url]TVNZ[www.tvnz.co.nz][/url]

An attempted interview with Piers Francis on TVNZ's One News this evening. Hope this link works. In the interview Piers says he has signed a 3year contract.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/03/2017 10:51 by Welsh Saint in NZ.

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 10:53
There was a decent article on the Times somewhere but I can't find it and it was subscription only anyway - in short I think he got injured very quickly joining Edinburgh and so was released. He started at Sarries academy and was released for being too small as he grew late!

Welcome to him anyway and lets hope the backline clicks and the forwards manage to get some good old fashioned front foot ball for them to play with.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 11:55
more of Piers Francis

this article is from 2015, but does give an insight as to why his Edinburgh stint didn't go as planned. Hopefully, things have changed and he can perform really well for us.

MESSAGES->author
skybluesaint (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 13:40
Quote:
Eif Jones
A further demonstration of the failure of the Saints academy

Wallers bros, Mikey Haywood, Jamie Elliot, Tom Stephenson, Harry Mallinder. Possibly to make it, Sam Olver, Rory Hutchinson, Lewis Ludlum. Jury still out on Tom Collins, Howard Packman.

I'd be interested to see a list of all those academies that have done better in the AP.

MESSAGES->author
Howlin (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 13:57
Clip of our man with his dancing feet posted by Saints on facebook. Solid signing I feel.

Saint 'til I die

Saintalex
Saintalex (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 15:53
Olver is going... Signed for a championship side im led to believe. I think Lewis lUdlam will make it, very excited about him

DesboroughSaint
DesboroughSaint (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 21:56
I'll be very happy if he's anywhere near as good as this guy [youtu.be]

Whiston Saint
Whiston Saint (IP Logged)
24 March, 2017 07:02
Hopefully we will get more than 3 great games in 4 seasons from him and he won't be coming here to avoid tackling and build up his pension pot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net